+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How the Elite Bastards will control the Wild Wild Web.

1. Link to Post #41
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Default Re: How the Elite Bastards will control the Wild Wild Web.

See this post (<---), this one (<---) and this other one (<---) ...
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th August 2017), BMJ (3rd June 2018), RunningDeer (15th August 2017), Shannon (15th August 2017), ThePythonicCow (15th August 2017)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

I've changed my mind to more in agreement with Paul's earlier assessment of where certificates are going.

Intel (AMD to follow) is now encrypting processes in RAM (which makes it impossible for security experts to reverse engineer malware) but to make it safe, they are apparently also requiring every process in ram to have a valid certificate as well.

Now, this is a pretty totalitarian move, giving central control of "what processes can run" to those who control the certificates... but I'm sure it will be worked around, and probably soon.... so in reality another failed attempt, but still concerning.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (15th August 2017), Bill Ryan (15th August 2017), BMJ (9th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), Hervé (15th August 2017), muxfolder (16th August 2017), RunningDeer (15th August 2017), Shannon (15th August 2017), ThePythonicCow (15th August 2017)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Shannon (here)
    Paul, when I heard about the daily stormer thing last night I mentioned to my husband that this move is so obviously part of the plan and I wondered if it violates the first amendment ...
    Even in theory, the amendments to the US Constitution apply to the US Federal government, not to private corporations or organizations.

Google can, as Project Avalon can, shut down or refuse business to anyone it wants to (except when government forces mandate otherwise, such as in the infamous cases of Christian bakers having to make wedding cakes for LGBT couples ...).

Of course, Constitutional theory, and current practice, have a weak, if not non-existent, correlation.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    See this post (<---), this one (<---) and this other one (<---) ...
    Yes, yes, and yes ! .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th August 2017), BMJ (9th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Hervé (15th August 2017), RunningDeer (15th August 2017), Shannon (15th August 2017)

7. Link to Post #44
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Intel (AMD to follow) is now encrypting processes in RAM (which makes it impossible for security experts to reverse engineer malware) ...
    Yes - a "safe" (security environment) strong enough to keep out us low life hackers, but still no doubt accesible to authorized minions of the elite bastards.

The AMD equivalents to Intel's SGX are SME and SEV. Both Intel's and AMD's approaches are described in this May 2016 LWN.net article by Jonathan Corbet: Two approaches to x86 memory encryption.

One of the AMD Ryzen marketing people that I've viewed over the last few months (I forget who or when I saw it) made an off the cuff mention of Ryzen being a very "secure" processing environment. I cringed when I heard that, presuming it meant that AMD Ryzen, like recent Intel CPU's, was a "secure" CPU, in some sense that only our intelligence agencies could really appreciate.

Any garden variety hacker, myself, TargeT or the kid next door, could hack software running on earlier generations of x86 architecture chips. Now it will increasingly require keys, cryptography and inside knowledge to do that, for software that takes advantage of these new "security" (meaning, security from unauthorized hackers) features.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th August 2017), BMJ (9th June 2018), Hervé (15th August 2017), Kristin (15th August 2017), muxfolder (16th August 2017), RunningDeer (15th August 2017)

9. Link to Post #45
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    My primary concerns were the interlocking vice grip of (1) shifting most users over to normally only interacting with HTTPS encrypted websites (Google is leading the way here, with Chrome's increasing bias against HTTP sites), and (2) central control of the SSL certificates required for acceptance by these browsers.
    Almost two years later (I can be slow on the uptake), after reading a bit of Jim Stone's commentary entitled "World's largest internet hub blows the whistle: NSA and other intelligence agencies are capturing EVERYTHING, and they have to cooperate", it dawned on me how incredibly simple it is for the NSA to decrypt HTTPS encrypted Internet traffic.

Any passive observer of HTTPS traffic can decrypt it easily, if it already has the private keys to the SSL certificate used for the encryption.

What are the odds that the NSA can't get most of these private keys, if it wants them, especially given the likely cooperation of Google, who plays some critical roles in browsers, websites and SSL certificates?

Then, thanks to a link that Jim Stone provides in his commentary, notice what is reported in this Press TV article:
    Quote It said the BND, a partner of the US National Security Agency (NSA), has placed so-called Y-piece prisms into its data-carrying fibre optic cables that give it an unfiltered and complete copy of the data flow.
    "Y-piece prisms" are devices that can be used to passively observe Internet data passing over fiber optic cables.

P.S. -- Hervé posted this commentary of Jim Stone here: When EVERYTHING Means Exactly That: Everything is RECORDED for Current and Future Searches.

All your bases data are belong to us.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 3rd June 2018 at 04:49.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

BMJ (9th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Hervé (3rd June 2018), Joe from the Carolinas (4th June 2018), Mike (3rd June 2018), Noelle (3rd June 2018), norman (3rd June 2018), Spellbound (3rd June 2018)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,350 times in 1,708 posts

With PC driven censorship misfiring and backfiring on youtube and social media, censorship 2.0 is about to be introduced that is European Council's Censorship Article 13.

EU Directive SPELLS DISASTER for Internet Freedom

Black Pigeon Speaks
    Published on Jun 1, 2018
    ✅ Support BPS via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/blackpigeon
    ✅ Tip Jar: via PayPal to: navyhato@gmail.com
    ✅2nd Channel- Navy Hato: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJs...
    ✅ Your SUPPORT of this Channel is GREATLY appreciated.

European Cyberimperialism: Defeat the European Council's Censorship Article 13

Styxhexenhammer666
    Published on May 31, 2018
    Under its auspices, Europeans would not be able to link to news articles without paying a fee: https://edri.org/eu-member-states-agr...

Support my work via donation:

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Styxhexenhamm...
    Makersupport: https://www.makersupport.com/Styxhexe...

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

East Sun (4th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Hervé (3rd June 2018), norman (10th June 2018), Omni (20th June 2018), ThePythonicCow (3rd June 2018)

13. Link to Post #47
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

The EU is about to destroy the internet

IWB
    Thu, 31 May 2018 00:01 UTC

The EU parliament will vote on Article 13 in less than a month. Article 13 will get rid of "fair use", will make platform operators reliable for coypright infringements of its users (the only way to not be held accountable is implementing far-reaching censorship filters) and it even will introduce LICENSING FEES just for linking to other websites.

This is a transparent attempt to get rid of alternative information sources. It is an attempt to give power over the internet to a handful of mega corporations and mainstream media. This is the desperate attempt of the failing EU to save their world order by openly authoritarian means. They don't even try to pretend otherwise, anymore.

Here you can contact your MEP and tell them to stop this bull****. But so far, the only opposing voices seem to criticise Article 13 for not being farreaching enough...

Oh, and the otherwise so vocal companies, which fought the net neutrality repeal etc.? No word from reddit and others.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2018), BMJ (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), norman (10th June 2018), Omni (20th June 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,541 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    The EU is about to destroy the internet

IWB
    Thu, 31 May 2018 00:01 UTC

The EU parliament will vote on Article 13 in less than a month. Article 13 will get rid of "fair use", will make platform operators reliable for coypright infringements of its users (the only way to not be held accountable is implementing far-reaching censorship filters) and it even will introduce LICENSING FEES just for linking to other websites.

This is a transparent attempt to get rid of alternative information sources. It is an attempt to give power over the internet to a handful of mega corporations and mainstream media. This is the desperate attempt of the failing EU to save their world order by openly authoritarian means. They don't even try to pretend otherwise, anymore.

Bumping this immediately. If something like this were to go through, the very worst case scenario is that after a while all we could really do here on Avalon is talk about ourselves.

* And yes, forget about the GDPR (see this thread). That's tiny in theoretical comparison. We absolutely need to keep a close eye on this.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (4th June 2018), BMJ (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Helene West (3rd June 2018), Hervé (4th June 2018), Michelle Marie (4th June 2018), Omni (20th June 2018), sunwings (4th June 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th June 2018), Valerie Villars (3rd June 2018)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

This is a random thought, but what if they did this in the past in some capacity, and that is why myths and stories became so important.

Talking only about ourselves would be catastrophic.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), BMJ (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Hervé (4th June 2018), Michelle Marie (4th June 2018), TargeT (6th July 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th June 2018)

19. Link to Post #50
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Jim Stone's got a similar take on the situation:
    Massive censorship to happen in Europe

I have been watching what is going on in Europe to allow the governments there to get control of the media, and rid themselves of the "nuisance" caused by ordinary people simply wanting the truth.

It is a menace, that may surpass when Yahoo killed approximately 40 percent of the internet by destroying Geocities.

When Geocities was destroyed, scientific information and real history was expunged from the web, almost entirely. Wikipeida and Yahoo answers are absolute trash by comparison, and now everything scientific is behind a pay wall.

Europe is heading that way now, with EVERYTHING.

I have seen many comments about how "not repealing net neutrality" could have stopped this. That's bogus, because net neutrality was for America only, it had nothing to do with what Europe does. The repeal of net neutrality has nothing to do with what is going on anywhere else in the world.

Here is basically it, in a nut shell:
    You cannot run a site like Drudge Report, where you link to other sites, because there will be charges applied to linking.

This also applies to any site that has more than just links, any links will be made illegal, unless you can handle the paperwork and pay fees for making links.

You also cannot run a forum or any site with a comment section, because people often copy and paste copyrighted material into them, or link to other sites from them, and you have only an hour to remove it OR ELSE. That's impossible. It cannot be complied with. And it would destroy the venue, even if you could.

This web site could probably be made compliant because I usually explain things well enough in my own words to avoid the need for linking, however, they'd hate it so much they would shut it down anyway, because it is so damn obvious the real reason for the new EU rules is to simply shut people up and get all information under state control that there's little question they'd wipe out sites like this one with a reason stated somewhere in the fine print.

There's no mention at all about how Google is going to be allowed to link, but I solemnly promise, with all my heart, that Google won't be punished for breaking the rules EVER, if they are the type of company that would label Republicans "Nazi", like it did yesterday. OOPS, we're sorry for that little gaffe . . . . NOT!!!

Facebook "should" also be impossible to run, but will survive just fine because people who have had 5 abortions, bang donkeys in the butt and preach the virtues of cutting your nuts off so you can be a girl will be SO LOVED by the establishment there won't be repercussions for those types, no matter how many links they post, especially if they despise Western civilization, and want all white males killed.

Anything will be overlooked for those types, BET ON IT.

Facebook is not targeting conservatives for nothing, I rightfully hate Suckerberg but let's be serious here: If the real goal of the state is to simply crush conservatives and nationalism, and you're going to be destroyed if you don't comply and do the state's bidding, how would you NOT delete all the conservative or nationalist accounts? You would HAVE TO or you'd go the way of the dodo.

Aah yes, Europe - the litmus test. At least there will be the rest of the world (for now). I am going to be watching what actually happens there with great interest.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

avid (4th June 2018), Bill Ryan (4th June 2018), BMJ (5th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (4th June 2018), Michelle Marie (4th June 2018), ThePythonicCow (4th June 2018), Valerie Villars (4th June 2018), Yoda (20th June 2018)

21. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,108 times in 8,176 posts

Article 13 is completely anti intelligent thought.

It goes way beyond a political thing. In the world this would build, no humans would be expected to think for themselves and pass on those thoughts at all.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

BMJ (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th June 2018), Hervé (10th June 2018), Valerie Villars (20th June 2018)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 times in 321 posts

i stumbled upon this blockchain project recently. they seem to target the way we use the internet. really worth a look:

https://www.nkn.org/

can find the whitepaper in docs section.
    "between 'lives' we all have a great laugh about the parts we have performed in the 'play', and look forward to and have great fun preparing the next chapters to act out."

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morbid For This Post:

BMJ (11th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th June 2018)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

They've DONE IT !

The EU has passed it:

EU votes to effectively ban memes electronically as Article 13 'copyright filter' passes.

Sing the wrong song of sixpence, pay a fine

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...icle-13-passes
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (21st June 2018), Hervé (20th June 2018), Michelle Marie (1st July 2018), mountain_jim (7th July 2018), Omni (20th June 2018), Valerie Villars (20th June 2018)

27. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

This is really sobering. Beyond sobering. It's mind blowing. I think I'm on the wrong timeline. When do the book burnings start?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st June 2018), Omni (20th June 2018)

29. Link to Post #55
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

What does this mean for content creators? Is there a list of the laws?

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (21st June 2018)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

The entire Oxford English Dictionary might choke it all to death.

I really hope this is the self applied hanging noose that will finish the EU off completely. It would really only need the population to wake up to what they are about to lose, and storm the EU castle, to put an end to the EU once and for all.

Let's make sure that happens.

If it does, this insane move on their part could still turn out to be a very good thing. They've just put a big red bull's eye on their chest.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (21st June 2018), Hervé (20th June 2018), Michelle Marie (1st July 2018), Valerie Villars (20th June 2018)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

I really like that perspective Norman. Cool.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st June 2018)

35. Link to Post #58
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Google can, as Project Avalon can, shut down or refuse business to anyone it wants to (except when government forces mandate otherwise, such as in the infamous cases of Christian bakers having to make wedding cakes for LGBT couples ...).
    Well, for once, I am pleased to pass on a report of a recent US Supreme Court decision, from the New York Times no less: Supreme Court Sides With Baker Who Turned Away Gay Couple.

===

In other news, more related to the topic of this thread, Dave Winer, a long time software great, has a been writing on his blog recently of his concerns with Google's effort to force HTTPS on the Web. Winer's concerns are similar to the one's I've been voicing in this thread. Winer concludes that Google's efforts to scare people to avoid HTTP sites as insecure will harm the Web, chasing people away from many sites (such as this ProjectAvalon.net site, I'd suggest) that don't require a high level of encryption of data between the user's browser and the Website's server.

Winer concluded in this earlier blog post that one key motive that Google might have for pushing everyone toward HTTPS is to keep out competition for the ads that it serves on Web pages.

Being more practiced as a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nut case than apparently Winer is, I figure that a key motive for Google's push to deprecate HTTP is to better control the Web, as I have been explaining in this thread, since my first post on this thread, in September of 2016.

Winer just had the honor of being Slashdotted, when Slashdot linked Winer's blog commentary in a new article: Is Google's Promotion of HTTPS Misguided?
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 1st July 2018 at 06:28.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st July 2018), BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (1st July 2018), KiwiElf (1st July 2018), Michelle Marie (1st July 2018), mountain_jim (7th July 2018), onawah (1st July 2018)

37. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

http://gizmodo.com/europe-decides-no...net-1827359990

On Thursday, members of European Parliament held a vote on the misguided new copyright reforms that posed a threat to memes, online encyclopedias, news organizations, and pretty much everything that’s good online. Incredibly, lawmakers decided not to do the dumb thing and voted down the bill. It’s not over yet, but there’s plenty of reason to celebrate.

In June, the European Union’s legal affairs committee voted to move forward with a vote on the first major overhaul of European copyright law since 2001. The vote on Thursday was widely expected to be the decisive moment on whether the legislation would become the law of the land, but public outcry and a campaign by some of the biggest names in tech appears to have worked in raising awareness about the shortcomings of the bill. In a 318-278 decision, E.U. lawmakers elected to send the legislation back to committee for review, and a new vote is expected in September.

The controversy over the new copyright directive stems from two vague but incredibly consequential pieces of the legislation. The first, Article 11, calls for a “link tax” that would require popular websites to pay news organizations for linking to articles or using snippets of text. The second, Article 13, mandates that the same platforms—estimated to cover the top 20 percent of sites—use a content filtering system to prevent copyrighted works from being uploaded to the web. In both cases, the bill lacked specificity in how websites should implement the requirements, leaving many to expect that they would simply take the most heavy-handed approach to avoid running afoul of the law.

More than anything, the legislation was wrongheaded because it gave no consideration to fair use practices. Earlier this week, Italian, Spanish, Estonian, Latvian, Polish, French, and Portuguese versions of Wikipedia blocked users from accessing pages on their sites in order to raise awareness about the copyright directive and to encourage users to contact their representatives. Wikipedia is a quintessential example of the good that can come from the fair use of links, quotation, and media sharing. Articles 11 and 13 pose a direct threat to the platform’s ability to continue to operate while large tech companies have the resources to absorb the cost of the legislation, were it to become law—demonstrating the ways the bill would actually benefit the tech overlords it was intended to rein in.

While the legislation’s supporters hoped to give news outlets and copyright holders some protection from platforms like Google and Facebook that have managed to gobble up advertising revenues, it posed the risk of giving those corporations even more power. A company like Google already has content filtering systems in place that it’s spent a lot of money to implement, and it could pay the link tax if that became necessary. But as Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, and more than 100 other tech pioneers argued last month, smaller platforms would struggle and innovation would be stifled. “The damage that this may do to the free and open Internet as we know it is hard to predict, but in our opinions could be substantial,” they wrote.

The fact is, we’re living in a crucial moment when lawmakers around the world are quickly realizing that big tech must be regulated in some way, and they’re in a hurry to make something happen. But they should be listening to the kind of people that signed the letter of opposition along with Berners-Lee when they’re crafting regulations. It’s hard to overstate how surprising it is to see politicians pull back from the brink of disaster and simply say “let’s reconsider this.” But there’s no guarantee that further consideration will produce a better outcome. This copyright directive took people by surprise, and it didn’t have time to worm its way into the collective consciousness the way that, say, net neutrality has. It’s more important than ever that activists keep this topic in the public conversation.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th July 2018), mountain_jim (7th July 2018), Omni (6th July 2018), ThePythonicCow (6th July 2018)

39. Link to Post #60
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    They've DONE IT !

The EU has passed it:
    UK isn't much better..... they are following suit in their own way...

Some "Strong" language here, but a very good local take on the situation in the UK.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

BMJ (8th July 2018), Foxie Loxie (7th July 2018), norman (6th July 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast