+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: How the Elite Bastards will control the Wild Wild Web.

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Default Re: How the Elite Bastards will control the Wild Wild Web.

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    In other news, more related to the topic of this thread, Dave Winer, a long time software great, has a been writing on his blog recently of his concerns with Google's effort to force HTTPS on the Web. Winer's concerns are similar to the one's I've been voicing in this thread. Winer concludes that Google's efforts to scare people to avoid HTTP sites as insecure will harm the Web, chasing people away from many sites (such as this ProjectAvalon.net site, I'd suggest) that don't require a high level of encryption of data between the user's browser and the Website's server.

Winer concluded in this earlier blog post that one key motive that Google might have for pushing everyone toward HTTPS is to keep out competition for the ads that it serves on Web pages.

Being more practiced as a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nut case than apparently Winer is, I figure that a key motive for Google's push to deprecate HTTP is to better control the Web, as I have been explaining in this thread, since my first post on this thread, in September of 2016.
    Google is very, very serious about this effort.

Another weapon in their arsenal just came on my radar: QUIC, which stands for Quick UDP Internet Connections.

Google is in the process of replacing TCP with QUIC, underneath most Internet traffic.

Those of us who have worked in the guts of networking will recall that TCP has been the core reliable transmission protocol over the Internet, since the early 1980's when DARPA replaced ARPANet with TCP. TCP is the connection based protocol that handles reliable data packet exchange between practically all computers on the Internet. Both HTTP (such as http://projectavalon.net uses) and HTTPS ("S" for "Secure" - denoting the encrypted variant of HTTP), use TCP underneath the covers to setup reliable data exchange connections.

Guessing wildly, I'd estimate that 99% of all Internet traffic goes over TCP connections, and has since the "Web" became a household word, in the 1990's.

At first blush, the idea of replacing TCP in my lifetime, or even my children's lifetimes, seems outrageous.

Actually, it might actually happen, to a substantial degree, in just a few years.

Google's plan with QUIC is to build a "next generation" connection based protocol on top of UDP, which is the "cheap" variant of TCP, without connections. Data packets are sent over UDP using a simple "send and pray", unlike TCP which first sets up a reliable connection sending several initialization packets back and forth that ensure that both ends of the connection reliably know that the other end is there and can hear them and knows that they are there.

Google is building another connection based protocol in QUIC, on top of UDP, that (1) benefits from what we've learned in the last thirty-plus years, and (2) only does secure connections.

The initial connection setup handles both setting up a reliable data connection, and setting up a secure, encrypted connection.

Google expects to default to using UDP port 443, which is the currently unused UDP side of the TCP port currently used for https secure connections.

No changes to the Windows, MacOS or Linux kernels will be needed, as only traditional UDP kernel support is needed. The new QUIC data connections and security are handled in user space code, and so could be included directly in major browsers (such as Google's Chrome, no doubt.)

Faster, more secure, easier to upgrade with new features ... what's not to like?

Oh ... and if Google doesn't like you, you're security certificate is marked with a Scarlett Letter "T" ("T" for Terrorist, I suppose) and you are persona non-grata on the Wonderful New Web.

Here's Ian Swett of Google explaining the plans for QUIC some three years ago:

That was over three years ago. How are they doing?

QUIC came on to my radar now thanks to Slashdot reposting this brand new ZDNet article: HTTP-over-QUIC to be renamed HTTP/3 - IETF agrees to base the next major iteration of HTTP on Google's QUIC protocol, which begins:
    Quote The HTTP-over-QUIC experimental protocol will be renamed to HTTP/3 and is expected to become the third official version of the HTTP protocol, officials at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) have revealed.

This will become the second Google-developed experimental technology to become an official HTTP protocol upgrade after Google's SPDY technology became the base of HTTP/2.

HTTP-over-QUIC is a rewrite of the HTTP protocol that uses Google's QUIC instead of TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) as its base technology.

QUIC stands for "Quick UDP Internet Connections" and is, itself, Google's attempt at rewriting the TCP protocol as an improved technology that combines HTTP/2, TCP, UDP, and TLS (for encryption), among many other things.

Google wants QUIC to slowly replace both TCP and UDP as the new protocol of choice for moving binary data across the Internet, and for good reasons, as test have proven that QUIC is both faster and more secure because of its encrypted-by-default implementation (current HTTP-over-QUIC protocol draft uses the newly released TLS 1.3 protocol).
    IETF endorsement is Yuuuge, as those from Queens (e.g. Trump) would say.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Franny (13th November 2018), Spellbound (13th November 2018), Valerie Villars (13th November 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4