+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: The Fat Thread

1. Link to Post #41
    Australia Avalon Member Dianamar's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: The Fat Thread

I have a basic approach to weight maintenance.

Filtered Water
    Fresh Food , non processed and non gmo if possible
    Exercise
    Eat Regularly and in small portions ( grazing )
    Laugh
    Take Time off
    Let go of all your grudges ( this is very important )
    Sleep with no wifi or phones in the room
    Stop worrying about things you have no control over
    Live doing something you love over being a corporate monster
    Pray to something ( god , kurt cobain , a pineapple tree )
    Get in touch with nature and appreciate it
    Do not abstain from anything , do not over do anything ... Balance is fine

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dianamar For This Post:

Chester (23rd October 2016), Daozen (28th September 2016), greybeard (28th September 2016), Heartsong (1st December 2016), Justplain (28th September 2016), sunwings (28th September 2016), The Freedom Train (13th October 2016)

3. Link to Post #42
    Australia Avalon Member Dianamar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    Feel lucky if your a little heavy, the docs cant figure out what is making me lose weight, i went from 155 to 128 , and they dont know why im shrinking ... i tell them six shots every six weeks while for three years whle i was in the military ... they experimented on 120 of us, now that our group is older , many strange side effects plague my brothers and me ... we no longer serve the masters, funny we were super humans working for them, we get out and all sorts of problems arise...
    What about a blood transfusion ? i know its extreme but i have heard it can make a big difference and then after DO NOT let them re " Immunise " you

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dianamar For This Post:

ghostrider (28th September 2016), greybeard (28th September 2016), Justplain (28th September 2016)

5. Link to Post #43
    Australia Avalon Member Napping's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no easy answer in this area. I deal with it every day with my paitients. A couple of points:
    * there's certainly a small proportion of people that have metabolic issues pertaining to poorly controlled diabetes, underactive thyroid etc. note, this is a relatively small proportion and weight loss for these individuals is very challenging and often requires gastric sleeve surgery to make any kind of inpact on weight loss.
    * for the majority, its a combination of people becoming increasingly sedentary. The average person I see would be lucky if they walked 3000 steps per day....this has horrific consequences for all elements of health, weight loss only one of them.
    * people eat more feel good convenience food in the form of processed carbohydrate than ever and many still fall for the 99% fat free farce.
    *many people think they are doing the right thing by eating lots of fruit, nuts etc with little awareness of the consequence from a weight game perspective.
    * most people simply eat too much ie portion sizes are often ignored when eating "good" food

I watched an old family video of a school swimming carnival in the 80's and every single kid looked bordering on malnourished with ribs showing etc. This is actually the way kids are supposed to look, but we've filled them up with so much garbage, and tv/iPad/iPhone watching that fat has become the norm.

We're on the verge of a healthcare crisis of astronomical proportions due to unprecedented sedentary and obesity levels with the baby boomers leading the stampede into our health services. Public health officials worldwide are very very nervous about what awaits.

Cheers,

Matt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

Justplain (28th September 2016), sheme (27th September 2016)

7. Link to Post #44
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Quote Posted by sheme (here)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk I have discovered this man and following his diet , after a slow down due to AF I took a year to put on 3 stone then I found my Liver function was compromised-Andreaz Moritz X 2 no real results yet so will keep going- now having lots of green and beetroot smoothies.I have stopped taking the Beta blockers I felt they were going to kill me, don't eat fruit or processed carbs and the weight/Fat is leaving slowly but surely, and my heart rate is becoming normal- I did my first days full runaround 3 days ago just like the old days- muscles ache but I can see the light, wan't to walk the Camino next year so must get fit, I have decided to take my life back.
    Interesting aside the standard treatment for Atrial Fibrillation AF is the blood thinner usually Warfarin folks on this drug also told to avoid greens as these contribute to your clotting factor- It is my belief that the AF and many other human disorders are caused by compromised liver function the liver needs greens to repair- the medical profession wants you to avoid greens and take a beta blocker this treatment totally compromised my ability to do anything as my heart beat was reduced to an irregular flutter- I refused the treatment of Ablation as I felt the permanent frying of part of the heart nerve was far to risky- reduced to a sedentary life style, I woke up one day feeling better- realized I had forgotten to take the Beta Blockers- felt so good I decided to carry on without them, I am convinced if I sort my liver out and eat low carb- high fat- low protein diet- my health will be back to what it was- three weeks now and I have lost 3KGs ...
    Last edited by sheme; 27th September 2016 at 23:51.

8. Link to Post #45
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Im only interested in what works and I posted what works for me.
    In the review link is the latest scientific evidence of what causes weight gain and fats are n longer the enemy--ie cheese --yogurt--olive oil coconut oil--some butter milk.

I have as said 6 meals a day Im not the slightest bit hungry--its years since I ate so much and the fat has come off my body --people atthe gym are noticing--Ive been going to the gym for a year and the weight tdid not come off then--I did not look any slimmer--I do now.
    Ive had to put two new holes my belt--to make it smaller in circumference.

Chris
    here is what works for me to you. No bread works for me (but not entirely as Dianamar said "Do not abstain from anything , do not over do anything ... Balance is fine") and not only no bread but no to all process foods (not entirely. As I stayed home yesterday here is what I had. 4 marang fruit one of the sweetest fruits). 5 pineapples(1 kg ea. approx). I kg of bananas. 2 cups of rice and some fish. I was tempted with a couple of bread. a big mug of Natural coffee not process with lots of natural sugar. Im 66 kg. some quigong and Tibet five. No pills for 8 years approx. To give you an idea of my health. 1 flu in 4 years. whenever I stroll on the beach I got people looking my direction mostly older men and women. I have a balding head and they cant probably believe that an older man can have such a form. I dont go to the gym. My work requires lots of body activity I play basketball twice or thrice a week. so yes to exercise and lots of sun I sometimes works on rooftop all day in a tropical country last time I work on top we had 38C.
    something to think about. All human taste buds in the planet will agree that sweets is very good for the body. So it would help to put a distinction between process sugars and fruit sugars. If body cannot tolerate natural it is most probably that something is wrong with the body and not the sugar.
    Anyway this is not what I come to see in Avalon just have the urges to help those who have weight problems . so back to Paula's latest thread.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

greybeard (28th September 2016), RunningDeer (28th September 2016), TargeT (28th September 2016), The Freedom Train (13th October 2016)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

succint, simple and true, thanks Bill.

Target: I made typo errors not because of being emotional but because English is my second or third language. I often do not even realise there are mistakes in my texts, typo or others. Duh!! I always make mistake, typo or plain errors in English.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    A quick input from me:

• Calorie counting on its own means very little when it comes to weight control.

Weight gain (unless it's triggered by endocrine/hormone imbalance) is often caused by spiking blood sugar levels (in turn, often caused by too many 'fast' carbs) -- which are siphoned off by the liver, that then dumps the excess sugar as added body fat as fast as it can.
    • So, high 'fast' carb intake can often result in weight gain.
    • High fat intake does not necessarily make one fat (at all).
    • Exercise always helps, of course (it helps anything!) -- but not because you're burning calories on the treadmill, or while out jogging. It helps because the whole metabolism is trigger-boosted to a slightly faster-running resting state, 24/7.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th September 2016), Daozen (28th September 2016), sheme (29th September 2016)

12. Link to Post #47
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

- You can overcome tiredness with Coq10, B Vits, and Methlysulfumethane. I don't get on with caffeine either, AutumnW. But Oolong tea is OK for me.

- Even with a sedentary lifestyle you can get up and do 1-5 squats, or 1-5 pushups every 30 minutes. That can add up to 100 a day. Small sets is a technique called 'greasing the groove' from Pavel Tsatsouline. A lot of programmers are very muscular, a sedentary lifestyle is no excuse- look at the Zuck. Love him or hate him, he's big.

- I lived with someone who was overweight. he used one of those weight loss teas from Herbalife, and the weight fell off him. He became permanently skinny. I think Herbalife are probably massively overcharging for their products. But those teas do work if you get the right one. Guarana was the main ingredient, IIRC. That can be dangerous, as it is full of caffeine, but the point is, those teas are not all a con. I would go with a gentler combination of Chinese herbs. Which one, I have no idea.

- White carbs are the enemy. I eat red rice and buckwheat noodles as my staple healthy carb.

- Since I started taking Iodine (Detoxadine or Lugols are OK), I found it hard to get fat. In fact, I have to eat a LOT to keep weight on.

- Dry fasting is a very quick way to lose weight. Just eat one huge meal a day... Or even have an eating window between 12 noon and 6pm. That gives the body 18 hours a day to recover.

- Juice Feasting works too. Tons of vids on youtube. But I would focus more on vegetable juices and herbal teas like ginger. Psychologically juice feasting is good cos you can spend the whole day making teas, and thinking about what you want to drink next. The deprivation mentality goes out the window.

- Ricky Gervais (NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YZiKbklAE

The second vid is the last 2 minutes of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ac8iBeLh8

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...ecrets-1700129
    Last edited by Daozen; 28th September 2016 at 01:47.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Baby Steps (28th September 2016), sheme (28th September 2016)

14. Link to Post #48
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Please dont forget the water time and again I have proven that water can make all the difference.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Daozen (28th September 2016), The Freedom Train (13th October 2016)

16. Link to Post #49
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,534 times in 476 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    When I stopped smoking my weight went up to 14st--not that I was eating more but when I smoked I went for a smoking walk twenty times a day--I waked miles
    Maybe it can be your walking, but when my father had hyperthyroidism. And when he used to decreases his smoking his thyroid count use to go up more. And therefore the weight loss. So at that time I was learning biology in school and found by looking at biochemical cycles that smoking might have direct impact on thyroid hormone. So then I researched more about it on internet and found how smoking habits effects the thyroid hormone and TSH in pituitary gland. So changes in smoking habits effect the TSH and if your are already suffering from hypo or hyperthyroidism; it is most likely that your body responds slowly when synchronicity between pituitary and thyroid gland is disturbed. So such people should slowly decrease the smoking habit it they want to quit or even increase the smoking habit. Quitting smoking can either make you loose weight or gain weight; it happens either ways.

I don't remember the biochemical cycles that are involved and the things that I have researched on internet at that time using those technical words.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Daozen (28th September 2016), greybeard (28th September 2016)

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 times in 640 posts

This funny synopsis will save you an hour of a BBC documentary involving twins (also doctors) where one only ate sugary food for a month and the other only fat.

The conclusion was neither diet was solely responsible for putting on weight. The problem is a 50/50 mix of sugar and fat. Like all processed food. Simple really. Eat well!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Daozen (28th September 2016), Justplain (28th September 2016)

20. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,264 times in 1,414 posts

This is a great thread! Thanks for all the geat input! Just what Avalon is for.

21. Link to Post #52
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 times in 575 posts

Is obesity predominately a 'Developed World' problem?

Is it more prevalent here, in the Western World?

Regards.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

TargeT (28th September 2016)

23. Link to Post #53
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,448 times in 32,921 posts

Quote Posted by Citizen No2 (here)
    Is obesity predominately a 'Developed World' problem?

Is it more prevalent here, in the Western World?
    It surely is. I was in Tokyo a few years ago, where I saw half (50%!) of the supermarket shelves were stocked with vegetables and fish. I was only there a few days, but never saw an obese person.

Similarly with Thailand, where I've spent quite a bit of time on vacation in years past. And also Africa and India, though there are real poverty problems there, of course.

I'd very highly recommend this book: The Sugar Blues. It details exactly how the health of the 'western' nations has been sabotaged by large corporations with an investment in pushing sugar -- in pretty much everything. (Naturally occurring fat consumption isn't really a problem. Ask any healthy Eskimo. )

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (28th September 2016), Baby Steps (28th September 2016), kanishk (29th September 2016), Rex (28th September 2016), sheme (28th September 2016), TargeT (28th September 2016)

25. Link to Post #54
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 times in 575 posts

Quote It surely is.
    A-Haaaaaaa.......... Bingo!

Chem-heavy farming, processed foods, ready-meals, etc, etc........... I think that once our bodies have been 'hit' with the myriad chemical compositions in additives, colourings, flavourings, etc, etc, that it causes change on a genetic level.

And then there is responsibility and expectation. I suppose I am lucky in the fact that my weight has never been an issue. I am 6'2" and around 210lbs and lead a fairly active life-style. I have friends who have struggled with their weight, but have found on several occasions that expectation can be an issue. In some cases, the weight gain has happened over years and the expectation is that it will come off in a few weeks or months........ When it doesn't I've seen them spiral back into comfort eating. I suppose in some cases it is a psychological issue too.

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 28th September 2016 at 13:13.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Citizen No2 For This Post:

The Freedom Train (13th October 2016)

27. Link to Post #55
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dieting and all talk about healthy eating often drives me insane. This is probably because I tend to obsess over things, which results in me wanting to find the 'perfect' diet for my health. What we eat is something we all ought to consider though, not just people who are overweight. With that said, I get why people become disheartened. There is SO much information out there, it is an absolute jungle, and when people try a few things to no avail, I don't blame them for saying 'eff this whole dieting thing, it doesn't work, I'm just going to eat whatever the heck I feel like!'. I went on a month long juice fast a few months back so that I could try and heal a condition I have called Crohn's disease. After completing the fast I become absolutely OBSESSED with eating clean and healthy foods. It got to the point where I was thinking almost constantly about food and whether I ate something 'bad'. After doing this for a good month or two, I reached the end of my rope, and went in the complete opposite direction and started eating junk. I have since cooled down a bit on the junk but probably eat more processed and sugary foods than I should be. The Crohn's has unfortunately flared up and I'm not sure how much of a role my current diet has played in that.

So, what am I trying to say with this post. Well, first of all, there is no perfect diet, what works for one may not work for another. With that said though, I do think there are some general guidelines to follow, as people have noted in this thread, that will be beneficial. Secondly, if you have the desire to be healthier and is something you believe to be important, I think you will be lead in the right direction and find what works for you.

28. Link to Post #56
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

I have been told that I am prediabetic, which is a tendency which may have been inherited from my paternal grandmother who was fat and had a very poor diet, heavy on starches. Meat ceased to be a part of my diet many years ago after hearing about mad cow disease; GMO and antibiotics and hormones in the meat add up to a big cancer cause as well as diabetes cause. After menopause, women tend to put on weight because of change of hormone balance. If GMO's are in animal and human grains and other fruits and vegetables, then they have us over the Genocide Barrel. Your information that sperm count dropped in the presence of all the above substances in meats, etc., give further evidence of deliberate poisoning of the human race to reduce or eliminate the human population.

I have erased so many things from my diet (canola oil in favor of tiny amounts of extra virgin olive oil; meats in favor of small amounts of chicken and fish; fresh fruit and raw vegetables instead of cooked vegetables; only one teaspoon of brown sugar per day; no milk products which are said to consist mostly of inflamation from the poor cow and produce phlegm and coughing.) Whole orange juice and green vegetable and berry drinks along with water, lemonade, some coffee and tea are all that is left to me. The greens and berry drinks seem very sweet but ingredients listed do not mention sweateners. Hopefully, I will see positive results from this, including gradual weight loss. One thing I must do is to eat only organic eggs since chickens are heavily medicated and presumably eat GMO grain. I must enquire. Also being considered is natural hormone replacement. Any thoughts on this regimen would be gratefully appreciated.
    Last edited by amor; 28th September 2016 at 18:07.

29. Link to Post #57
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

Dear Vasili: You mention Chrones Disease. Ground Linseed boiled or added to rice, potatoes, eggs, pancakes and anything else you can add it to has the effect of turning into a musilage which quickly penetrates all the tissues of the body, brain, heart, organ and skin tissues and makes the task of elimination effortless. Use daily. It is filled with essential fatty acids required by the body and is wonderful for the intestines.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to amor For This Post:

Billy Vasiliadis (29th September 2016)

31. Link to Post #58
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

I really do implore people who wish to loose weight to look at the Dr Berg videos he makes a lot of sense doesn't talk down to those in need of help explains the theory and gives diet solutions , today's good news my handles are vanishing. (:

32. Link to Post #59
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    - You can overcome tiredness with Coq10, B Vits, and Methlysulfumethane. I don't get on with caffeine either, AutumnW. But Oolong tea is OK for me.

- Even with a sedentary lifestyle you can get up and do 1-5 squats, or 1-5 pushups every 30 minutes. That can add up to 100 a day. Small sets is a technique called 'greasing the groove' from Pavel Tsatsouline. A lot of programmers are very muscular, a sedentary lifestyle is no excuse- look at the Zuck. Love him or hate him, he's big.

- I lived with someone who was overweight. he used one of those weight loss teas from Herbalife, and the weight fell off him. He became permanently skinny. I think Herbalife are probably massively overcharging for their products. But those teas do work if you get the right one. Guarana was the main ingredient, IIRC. That can be dangerous, as it is full of caffeine, but the point is, those teas are not all a con. I would go with a gentler combination of Chinese herbs. Which one, I have no idea.

- White carbs are the enemy. I eat red rice and buckwheat noodles as my staple healthy carb.

- Since I started taking Iodine (Detoxadine or Lugols are OK), I found it hard to get fat. In fact, I have to eat a LOT to keep weight on.

- Dry fasting is a very quick way to lose weight. Just eat one huge meal a day... Or even have an eating window between 12 noon and 6pm. That gives the body 18 hours a day to recover.

- Juice Feasting works too. Tons of vids on youtube. But I would focus more on vegetable juices and herbal teas like ginger. Psychologically juice feasting is good cos you can spend the whole day making teas, and thinking about what you want to drink next. The deprivation mentality goes out the window.

- Ricky Gervais (NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4YZiKbklAE

The second vid is the last 2 minutes of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ac8iBeLh8

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...ecrets-1700129
    Thanks Daozen,

I have a disease process that is causing a slow paralysis in my legs and leaving me completely wiped out -- (related to post polio syndrome, speaking of gut micro-biota imbalances). So exercising beyond what is required to prevent atrophy, for me, isn't a good idea.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th September 2016)

34. Link to Post #60
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Quote Posted by Vasili (here)
    Dieting and all talk about healthy eating often drives me insane. This is probably because I tend to obsess over things, which results in me wanting to find the 'perfect' diet for my health. What we eat is something we all ought to consider though, not just people who are overweight. With that said, I get why people become disheartened. There is SO much information out there, it is an absolute jungle, and when people try a few things to no avail, I don't blame them for saying 'eff this whole dieting thing, it doesn't work, I'm just going to eat whatever the heck I feel like!'. I went on a month long juice fast a few months back so that I could try and heal a condition I have called Crohn's disease. After completing the fast I become absolutely OBSESSED with eating clean and healthy foods. It got to the point where I was thinking almost constantly about food and whether I ate something 'bad'. After doing this for a good month or two, I reached the end of my rope, and went in the complete opposite direction and started eating junk. I have since cooled down a bit on the junk but probably eat more processed and sugary foods than I should be. The Crohn's has unfortunately flared up and I'm not sure how much of a role my current diet has played in that.

So, what am I trying to say with this post. Well, first of all, there is no perfect diet, what works for one may not work for another. With that said though, I do think there are some general guidelines to follow, as people have noted in this thread, that will be beneficial. Secondly, if you have the desire to be healthier and is something you believe to be important, I think you will be lead in the right direction and find what works for you.
    Vassili,

There was a leading google news story about Crohn's and fungus just yesterday. Look it up!! Hard for me to link from my touch screen.

I know how burnt out you get pursuing different leads that go nowhere. Been there, done that. But this article appears to be about a rigorously researched scientific academic study, so I think it is worth taking into consideration.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Billy Vasiliadis (29th September 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast