+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst 1 6 16 22 LastLast

Thread: Bill's searches for the Wawa Grande (Ecuador's Bigfoot)

1. Link to Post #301
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

Default Re: Bill's searches for the Wawa Grande (Ecuador's Bigfoot)

That settles it, Bill. We should spend a night at the Enchanted Lakes. I have the larger dog that you thought of. But we will have to wait until I have built up the strength for the round trip hike. That will be later this year. BTW. Your vision of the uncloaked, but malevolent Wawa Grande was not a siren song. It was your higher self telling you to go back there and clear the experience.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th January 2019), Forest Denizen (13th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), mojo (10th February 2019), RunningDeer (6th January 2019), Stephanie (7th January 2019), Tintin (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (6th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #302
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,767 times in 32,948 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    It was super-bright and sunny, with a high-altitude equatorial UV rating of about 20 (twenty), literally off the chart — and there was the strongest wind I've ever experienced here, like riding a motorcycle at 80 mph.

Mara had trouble walking in a straight line, and I got blown off my feet twice high on the ridge. An 80 mph wind is officially hurricane force 12, and it felt like it. And re temperature, the wind chill must have been fairly close to the -14ºC/ 7ºF to be expected on Chimborazo. (Interestingly, Mara seemed to be just fine.)

A different photo, taken by self-timer —>

BUT — I had no sunglasses with me (OMG), and no sunscreen. That was a dangerous blunder. By the time I got back home my whole face was like a fried tomato, and I'd slightly burned my retinas: I woke up yesterday morning with my eyelids stuck together. (A curious experience!) I spent most of the day in my bedroom with blackout blinds drawn, allowing my eyes to heal.

Even now, they're very sore (I'm wearing my glacier glasses at my desk here), and although it's not yet 9 am I can tell I'm going to have to go retire to sit in the dark again today. I'll be 100% fine ... but it was an interesting lesson, well learned.
    An update here, for anyone who cares. (But don't worry! All's well. )

I spent the best part of three days in the dark (during the daytime), emerging at night like some nocturnal creature. And even now, over a week later, I'm wearing dark glasses indoors. Even my computer screen is too bright. It really was a lesson well-learned.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I tell this story against myself... of course, those stories are always the most entertaining. (For others, that is!)

Just today I learned that the Ecuador Meteorological Service had tweeted out emergency warnings — for that very day — that the UV levels could reach 15. That's ridiculously high for areas where people actually live, a couple of notches higher than 'extreme'. The Education Department was also warning that schoolkids shouldn't be out in the sun without protection for more than 10 minutes, assuming an UV level of 'merely' 11.

That day I was out for 4 hours, between 4,000—6,000 feet higher. Mad Dogs and Englishmen, as the old song went. The UV level was well over 20 up there. And it was a perfect storm, so to speak, because the crazy-high wind meant I couldn't wear my leather hat, which would have disappeared off towards the Pacific Ocean within seconds.

So now, I really want to thank the VERY generous Avalon member who's sponsored me for some high-tech UV goggles. Thank you, and you know who you are! They'll arrive here in maybe 5 weeks' time, and not a moment too soon. I'm never going to make that mistake again: as I wrote a few days ago, my eyes (and everyone's eyes!) are just too precious. They've always been in good shape — I don't wear glasses, never have, and never intend to — but as Janice Joplin sang more recently, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

I'm just blogging this out of general mild interest. It's NOT serious. And definitely not in the tiniest bit serious compared with some other Avalon members who've undergone mighty travails and challenges, and still are. There but for the Grace of God go we all, etc. My recommendation to everyone reading this: be thankful. For everything you have.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (12th January 2019), anandacate (13th January 2019), avid (13th January 2019), Constance (11th March 2019), Flash (12th January 2019), Forest Denizen (13th January 2019), Hym (12th January 2019), Joe from the Carolinas (10th March 2019), Nasu (12th January 2019), onawah (13th January 2019), Orph (15th January 2019), RunningDeer (14th January 2019), Savannah (12th January 2019), Stephanie (21st January 2019), Tintin (12th February 2019), Yoda (13th January 2019)

5. Link to Post #303
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,419 times in 4,622 posts

Well done Bill, I know you’re superman and your feats are beyond norm usually.
    But good you did not notice the UV levels ahead, they’re tricky.

I spent most of last two years in Uruguay, at the coast where UV can get also very high especially during summer but all around the year, it has something to do with ocean surface and super-reflection. The surface to sky reflection boosts the amount of white light spectrum even on colder days.
    I spent lots of time in the temple hut but going out can’t be avoided and eventually got used to the amount of light we were getting. On high UV days it felt like being slapped/hit by the Sunshine.
    It’s wise to wear hat to prevent headaches.

But eventually I felt there’s an ability in us I was completely unaware of - kind of deflection. I was able to ignore it after some time and unless it was too hot.
    Heat was worse, from my perspective AND mosquitoes.

I did not suntain or change colour and same for the family of my friend who are “pale face” of Spanish-Irish-Canadian ancestry. Dunno why.

Can cause bad headaches however.

Miss the Sun, as if the Light was edible( who says it isn’t)

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

avid (13th January 2019), Bill Ryan (12th January 2019), Constance (11th March 2019), Dennis Leahy (10th February 2019), Forest Denizen (13th January 2019), Nasu (12th January 2019), onawah (13th January 2019), RunningDeer (14th January 2019), Stephanie (21st January 2019)

7. Link to Post #304
    Thanks

I had no sunglasses with me (OMG), and no sunscreen. That was a dangerous blunder. By the time I got back home my whole face was like a fried tomato, and I'd slightly burned my retinas: I woke up yesterday morning with my eyelids stuck together. (A curious experience!) I spent most of the day in my bedroom with blackout blinds drawn, allowing my eyes to heal.

Even now, they're very sore (I'm wearing my glacier glasses at my desk here), and although it's not yet 9 am I can tell I'm going to have to go retire to sit in the dark again today. I'll be 100% fine ... but it was an interesting lesson, well learned.
    An update here, for anyone who cares. (But don't worry! All's well. )

I spent the best part of three days in the dark (during the daytime), emerging at night like some nocturnal creature. And even now, over a week later, I'm wearing dark glasses indoors. Even my computer screen is too bright. It really was a lesson well-learned.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I tell this story against myself... of course, those stories are always the most entertaining. (For others, that is!)

Just today I learned that the Ecuador Meteorological Service had tweeted out emergency warnings — for that very day — that the UV levels could reach 15. That's ridiculously high for areas where people actually live, a couple of notches higher than 'extreme'. The Education Department was also warning that schoolkids shouldn't be out in the sun without protection for more than 10 minutes, assuming an UV level of 'merely' 11.

That day I was out for 4 hours, between 4,000—6,000 feet higher. Mad Dogs and Englishmen, as the old song went. The UV level was well over 20 up there. And it was a perfect storm, so to speak, because the crazy-high wind meant I couldn't wear my leather hat, which would have disappeared off towards the Pacific Ocean within seconds.
    ~~~

A further update. (But this might better belong on the weird, wild weather thread.)

I recovered totally. I took a lot of care, and all in all it took maybe 2-3 weeks to get my eyes back to 100%. (One thing that helped a lot was a short water fast, which triggers autophagy, or accelerated self-healing.)

Then two days ago — OMG! it happened again. And I'd barely left the house. Go figure.

I'd been for a short half-hour local hike with Mara that morning (my normal routine), and spent the rest of the day at my desk. By about 4 pm, my eyes were really hurting, blurry, and tearing up. I couldn't understand it.

Then, on impulse, I looked up what the UV levels had been earlier in the the day. They'd peaked at 16 (sixteen). Jeez! That's 50% higher than officially 'extreme', which is 11.

The problem had been my room skylight, which my desk is partially under. I'd not even been in the mountains.

Yesterday morning, my eyes were glued together again, and really hurting. It was actually worse than last time. I spent the day in a dark room (again). And I was thinking, "OMG, I've got to do all THAT one more time, for ANOTHER 2-3 weeks." Ooooof.

This morning, they're a fraction better, and I know what I have to do. That's nothing except being mindful and protective, and waiting for my body to do its reliable miraculous healing thing. And at the end of this week, my new UV goggles will arrive.

Meanwhile, the UV levels are being predicted to increase by a further 10-15% over the next few days (they were at 15 yesterday, but I was in my darkened room), so (a) I'm being semi-nocturnal, (b) I'm not even stepping an inch out the door till tomorrow, and (c) I'm limiting my online time just for the moment.

Food for thought. Times are changing. We're not used to thinking about UV, but there's some kind of major change happening at the moment where I am on the equator. (Ozone hole? Research needed. What's going on must be known.) I'm going to need to wear dark glasses all the time I'm out, just as a new habit, whether I'm in the mountains or not.

Finally: all this is VERY trivial compared with the serious travails suffered and survived by many others. I'm always fully aware of that. But it's just a PS to the interesting little story above, which — as I said earlier — I do tell entirely against myself.

8. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (10th February 2019), anandacate (10th February 2019), Anka (11th February 2021), aoibhghaire (10th February 2019), avid (11th February 2019), Billy (10th February 2019), Constance (10th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (10th February 2019), ErtheVessel (10th February 2019), Forest Denizen (10th February 2019), Franny (10th February 2019), Gracy (10th February 2019), ichingcarpenter (10th February 2019), jc71 (10th February 2019), Jean-Marie (10th February 2019), Joe from the Carolinas (10th March 2019), justntime2learn (11th April 2019), Kate (12th February 2019), kudzy (11th February 2019), Mike (11th February 2019), Orph (10th February 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (10th February 2019), RunningDeer (10th February 2019), Sophocles (11th February 2019), Spellbound (10th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Sunny-side-up (11th February 2019), sunwings (10th February 2019), Tam (26th September 2019), Tintin (12th February 2019), Valerie Villars (10th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019), Yoda (11th February 2019)

9. Link to Post #305
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

I am pretty sure that you are aware that UV protection has to be UVA and UVB wavelenghts, both. For the eyes and the skin. Mentioning just in case. UVA do not go through glass, but UVB do.

Take care of yourself, eyes are important to live by oneself. Well, they are important period.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

avid (11th February 2019), Bill Ryan (10th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (10th February 2019), Denise/Dizi (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (10th February 2019), ErtheVessel (11th February 2019), Forest Denizen (10th February 2019), justntime2learn (11th April 2019), Mike (11th February 2019), RunningDeer (10th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Sunny-side-up (11th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019)

11. Link to Post #306
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Oh your poor retinas. I wish there was something for retinas like aloe vera for the skin. Darkness (no UV) and time sound about right. When you can, get some eyedrops in, it will help with the crusty crap.

Rather than "heal quickly", I'll say, heal completely.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Denise/Dizi (11th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), justntime2learn (11th April 2019), Mike (11th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Sunny-side-up (11th February 2019), Tintin (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019)

13. Link to Post #307
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Oh your poor retinas. I wish there was something for retinas like aloe vera for the skin. Darkness (no UV) and time sound about right. When you can, get some eyedrops in, it will help with the crusty crap.

Rather than "heal quickly", I'll say, heal completely.
    I have heard some very good things about the herb eyebright when it comes to healing eyes. You do need to take it internally as a tincture however. Comfrey taken as a tincture internally can also be highly beneficial too.
    Anecdotally, I have used castor oil for whenever I have injured my eyes, or I have had any inflammation to the eyes and it has worked remarkably well. It really works well as an anti-inflammatory. (or so I discovered)

https://ndnr.com/anti-aging/castor-o...apeutic-order/
    "In recent years, studies on the use of castor oil for eyes have found that it aids in the reformation of the lipid layer of the tear film and prevents evaporation of the existing tear film.11 It also increases the lubrication ability of eye drops and improves meibomian gland function in patients with gland dysfunction.12 Several commercial eye drops today include castor oil as one of their active ingredients. It is well established that a healthy tear film is important for supplying nutrients and oxygen to the eye, preventing infection, and optimizing vision.13 We took advantage of these medicinal properties of castor oil in a topical application for our patient with mild cataract."

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Denise/Dizi (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (11th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), Mike (11th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Sunny-side-up (11th February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019)

15. Link to Post #308
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 times in 1,695 posts

Food for thought. Times are changing. We're not used to thinking about UV, but there's some kind of major change happening at the moment where I am on the equator. (Ozone hole? Research needed. What's going on must be known.) I'm going to need to wear dark glasses all the time I'm out, just as a new habit, whether I'm in the mountains or not.

Finally: all this is VERY trivial compared with the serious travails suffered and survived by many others. I'm always fully aware of that. But it's just a PS to the interesting little story above, which — as I said earlier — I do tell entirely against myself.

I think you may be onto something.. When I had my contact experiences, I asked why they were here, and they said something very curious. They said, "You're getting close to the fire, so we are here to help".. I never knew what that meant.. But perhaps the SUN IS getting closer to Earth. This would possibly explain the GMO's, the chemtrails that are reflecting the light, the drying of the soil everywhere, and the ice melting at incredible speeds everywhere. It would also explain the higher than average uv numbers?

I always thought the "Elite" didn't care much for us, but poison us, and they're also poisoning their own environment, for both them, and their families as well, so there HAD TO BE a better reason than just wanting to kill most of us off. Perhaps the alternative is the we COOK TO DEATH? Maybe they have no option but to use GMO's to make it through what is going on? Have you seen images of the sun lately? Everyone is getting HUGE SUNDOGS in their images, and the sun just doesn't look "Right" anymore.. It would make sense of that statement they made while speaking to me..

I think you really have hit on something here that could absolutely be telling of whats going on in a LOT of other areas as well... I can't imagine those laying down the chemtrails would be doing it if they thought it wasn't absolutely necessary as well.. I can see it now.. "How did you guys figure it out? ".. Um well, BILL KEPT BURNING HIS E Giggle..

But seriously, be very careful that you don't actually cause permanent damage.. That sounds HORRIBLE
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th February 2019 at 12:01. Reason: fixed quote formatting

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

avid (11th February 2019), Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (11th February 2019), DNA (12th February 2019), Flash (12th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Sunny-side-up (11th February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019)

17. Link to Post #309
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,809 times in 2,669 posts

Are Mara’s eyes equally affected? This is important as animals need to see well to eat/hunt/defend themselves. Is there any research on this?
    Hope you are feeling better soon, glad eye protection imminent.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (11th February 2019), DNA (12th February 2019), Flash (12th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019)

19. Link to Post #310
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by avid (here)
    Are Mara’s eyes equally affected? This is important as animals need to see well to eat/hunt/defend themselves. Is there any research on this?
    Hope you are feeling better soon, glad eye protection imminent.
    This was a quick search to see what’s available.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (11th February 2019), Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (11th February 2019), DNA (12th February 2019), Flash (12th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), Hym (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019)

21. Link to Post #311
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Apart from the discomfort of wearing these goggles, having a doggy who needs to see critical distances whilst climbing makes these goggles potentially hazardous, so just out walking goggles only. It’s the ‘rock and a hard place’ scenario.... ???
    and er..

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Billy (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (11th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019)

23. Link to Post #312
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Apart from the discomfort of wearing these goggles, having a doggy who needs to see critical distances whilst climbing makes these goggles potentially hazardous, so just out walking goggles only. It’s the ‘rock and a hard place’ scenario.... ???
    That was a quick search to see if eye protection was available. There are many styles and sites to research.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 11th February 2019 at 21:37.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (11th February 2019), Bill Ryan (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Debra (12th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (12th February 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), Hym (11th February 2019), Mike (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019)

25. Link to Post #313
    Thanks

Yes. I was amazed at the doggie goggles that Paula found (doggles?)... I had no idea such things existed.

But it's a very interesting question, re Mara and her eyes. I've been watching her carefully, but there've been no signs of discomfort, like rubbing her eyes with her paws, hiding in the dark, not wanting to go out in the sun, etc etc.

I do think she's fine. But logically there has to be a UV threshold where an animal's eyes would be injured. In natural conditions, a wild animal with sore eyes in very bright sunlight would just lay low all day. But Mara, of course, will follow me anywhere, and (like myself) wouldn't KNOW her eyes were being burned until the end of the day, if she's up at 14,000 ft in very bright conditions.

For any meteorologists who happen to be reading: the UV yesterday soared to 17 (Jeez), and today it was 15. The day before it was 16. None of us are used to this UV scale, but 11 is considered 'extreme'. 15—17 are literally off the scale.

The very rough equivalent might be like temperatures of 140ºF / 60ºC... i.e. freakishly abnormal. (And, maybe dangerous if caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.)

All the UV scale images on the net stop at 11. Here's my own adaptation:

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th February 2019 at 21:45.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (11th February 2019), Constance (11th February 2019), Debra (12th February 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (12th February 2019), Forest Denizen (12th February 2019), Hym (11th February 2019), RunningDeer (11th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), sunwings (11th February 2019), Tintin (22nd February 2019), Valerie Villars (11th February 2019), wnlight (12th February 2019), Yoda (11th February 2019)

27. Link to Post #314
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,999 times in 4,337 posts

Quote Posted by Diziblueyez (here)

I think you may be onto something.. When I had my contact experiences, I asked why they were here, and they said something very curious. They said, "You're getting close to the fire, so we are here to help".. I never knew what that meant.. But perhaps the SUN IS getting closer to Earth. This would possibly explain the GMO's, the chemtrails that are reflecting the light, the drying of the soil everywhere, and the ice melting at incredible speeds everywhere. It would also explain the higher than average uv numbers?

I always thought the "Elite" didn't care much for us, but poison us, and they're also poisoning their own environment, for both them, and their families as well, so there HAD TO BE a better reason than just wanting to kill most of us off. Perhaps the alternative is the we COOK TO DEATH? Maybe they have no option but to use GMO's to make it through what is going on? Have you seen images of the sun lately? Everyone is getting HUGE SUNDOGS in their images, and the sun just doesn't look "Right" anymore.. It would make sense of that statement they made while speaking to me..

I think you really have hit on something here that could absolutely be telling of whats going on in a LOT of other areas as well... I can't imagine those laying down the chemtrails would be doing it if they thought it wasn't absolutely necessary as well.. I can see it now.. "How did you guys figure it out? ".. Um well, BILL KEPT BURNING HIS E Giggle..

But seriously, be very careful that you don't actually cause permanent damage.. That sounds HORRIBLE
    Great post, excellent connection of the dots. I'm reminded of that Nick cage movie from a few years back the one where the sun fries the Earth except for a few kids who were chosen to continue the species by a hand full of aliens. I would love to hear more about your contacts if there is another thread you have shared them on, if you have not shared them nor do not wish to publicly a pm of your account would be very welcome as well.
    Good stuff
    Last edited by DNA; 13th February 2019 at 07:57.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

avid (12th February 2019), Bill Ryan (12th February 2019), Constance (12th February 2019), Dennis Leahy (12th February 2019), RunningDeer (12th February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019)

29. Link to Post #315
    Thanks

A further personal update. I promise, I'm not being self-indulgent here. But some of this might even be useful to a few folks out there reading this. (Avalon really is a repository of interesting information about almost anything!)

My eyes were only healing really slowly, and on some days they even took a step or two backwards. I didn't fully understand what was going on, so yesterday I bit the bullet and got to see a local eye specialist. I was concerned some kind of serious damage might have been done.

At first, the only appointment I could get via his secretary was two and a half weeks away. But then I e-mailed him directly to ask him to very kindly let me know of any cancellation, and described what was happening. He got straight back to me and said he'd see me immediately. He spoke excellent English, a very good man.

The upshot is that I have a severe instance of ultraviolet keratitis. I'd never heard of that before, but in lay terms this is really snowblindness. I wasn't actually 'blind', but it was pretty uncomfortable.

The cornea has a thin protective layer over it, 6 cells thick. Mine had just completely burned off. But before it all evaporated it'd done its heroic job, and my corneas and retinas, all shielded behind it, were 100% undamaged.

That was good to know! So all that has to happen is that layer has to regrow. In the meantime, it's a little like not having any skin.

I asked him about animals' eyes, and that was fascinating. He explained that human eyes are much weaker than those of animals. I'd never known that. He said that Mara would have had to endure something 4 times are intense (or 4 times as long) before experiencing any damage. So it looks like doggie goggles will NOT be necessary.

In the meantime, my own high-tech UV goggles have arrived:

I kind of look like I'm playing a virtual reality game, but I can see really well from inside them and I'm contemplating a mountain trip tomorrow to check them out. (The last few weeks, I've only been going out with Mara locally at dusk, like some nocturnal creature. I'm staying away from the sun, or most indoor lights, absolutely as much as is possible. Even my computer screen is too bright.)

Interesting times. The moral of the story (and I wrote about this a little on the wild weather thread) is that the Earth's magnetic field is weakening, and so UV is increasing. It spiked to 18 (eighteen!!) last week, which is almost unheard of.

This is only really noticeable at the equator and also at high altitudes — a perfect storm, the closest to the sun anyone can get with their feet still on the ground — but in time this will very probably affect more and more of us, even further north and south.

Don't be afraid to visit Ecuador or Peru! But if you do come here, DO bring your shades. And make sure they're good ones, too.

30. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (23rd February 2019), avid (22nd February 2019), Chanie (22nd February 2019), Constance (22nd February 2019), Debra (23rd February 2019), Forest Denizen (23rd February 2019), Icare (22nd February 2019), Jean-Marie (22nd February 2019), Nasu (23rd February 2019), Rhogar (25th June 2019), Rosemarie (22nd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019), Sophocles (22nd February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019), Tintin (22nd February 2019), wnlight (22nd February 2019), Yoda (22nd February 2019)

31. Link to Post #316
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A happier birthday with those thingies I hope... AND good news, ‘doggles’ not really necessary, but care needed.
    What a carry-on out there.... the good news, then the ‘shiver-me-timbers’ adobe fiasco. Were no wildlife yeowlings/barkings premoniscing this earthly manouevering?
    Take care, enjoy your umpteenth birthday
    and er..

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd February 2019), Constance (23rd February 2019), Debra (23rd February 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (23rd February 2019), RunningDeer (22nd February 2019), Stephanie (22nd February 2019)

33. Link to Post #317
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Bill, I was just watching my dog, Doucette, enjoy the cool green grass and beautiful spring day here in the country and I started to think about Mara.

I know you got her as a puppy and that story tickled me. How did you acclimate her to your arduous climbs? At what age did she start to go with you? How did you train her to be queen of the world?
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

avid (10th March 2019), Constance (10th March 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), RunningDeer (11th March 2019)

35. Link to Post #318
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Valerie Villars (here)
    Bill, I was just watching my dog, Doucette, enjoy the cool green grass and beautiful spring day here in the country and I started to think about Mara.

I know you got her as a puppy and that story tickled me. How did you acclimate her to your arduous climbs? At what age did she start to go with you? How did you train her to be queen of the world?
    Mara's very first big hike was this one, almost exactly 4 years ago, when she was not quite 2. I had no idea if she could do it or not, but she acquitted herself with honors.

Enjoy... it's quite good. The video's a trifle over-long (maybe!) — but the music's just great.

Edit to add: Aaargh! YouTube has muted my video... because the sound track was Led Zeppelin's Misty Mountain Hop. I'll upload the original to the Library.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th March 2019 at 00:08.

36. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (11th March 2019), avid (11th March 2019), Chip (11th March 2019), Constance (11th March 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), Kate (11th March 2019), RunningDeer (11th March 2019), Savannah (11th March 2019), Valerie Villars (11th March 2019), WildOrchid (2nd May 2019), Yoda (11th March 2019)

37. Link to Post #319
    Thanks

Edit to add: Aaargh! YouTube has muted my video... because the sound track was Led Zeppelin's Misty Mountain Hop. I'll upload the original to the Library.
    Here it is. It's worth listening to! Turn the volume up high, and dance.

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

anandacate (11th March 2019), avid (11th March 2019), Chip (11th March 2019), Constance (11th March 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), justntime2learn (11th April 2019), Kate (11th March 2019), Nasu (12th March 2019), RunningDeer (11th March 2019), Valerie Villars (11th March 2019), Yoda (11th March 2019)

39. Link to Post #320
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

That was OUTSTANDINGLY beautiful. (Hands Clapping).
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th March 2019), Constance (11th March 2019), DNA (11th March 2019), Forest Denizen (28th April 2019), RunningDeer (11th March 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst 1 6 16 22 LastLast