+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California Issues 1 week alert for San Andreas fault

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Exclamation California Issues 1 week alert for San Andreas fault

293 seismic events have currently hit the San Andreas fault.

CalOES issued an Earthquake Advisory on 29 September 2016

According to the USGS, “Preliminary calculations indicate that, as of 10:00 am (PDT) Sept. 27, 2016, there is a 0.03% – 1% chance (1 in 3000 to 1 in 100) of a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake being triggered on the Southern San Andreas fault within the next seven days through October 4, with the likelihood decreasing over time. This probability range is estimated using several models developed in California to assess foreshock/aftershock probabilities.”

The calculation was made by seismologists at the USGS at its Menlo Park, CA, Pasadena, CA, and Golden, CO, centers, for the California Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council, of which USGS seismologist Morgan Page is a member.

The calculation is based on the most recent time-dependent Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast model (UCERF3), combined with the most current concepts of the likelihood that an aftershock of the M=4.3 could be larger than its mainshock.

This is called an Epidemic Type Aftershock Sequence, or ETAS, (developed by the great Japanese seismologist-statistican, Yosihiko Ogata).

http://temblor.net/earthquake-insigh...as-fault-1528/

Last edited by Bob; 1st October 2016 at 01:20.

2. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,961 times in 940 posts

Default Re: California Issues 1 week alert for San Andreas fault

The Drudge Report linked this story earlier today as well...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

Perhaps Simon Parkes, George Green, and Sean David Morton were correct in predicting a larger west coast earthquake before November (if I'm not mistaken, they said it would be man-made and controlled, though I could be wrong about this, but that was my understanding). Personally, while predictions are interesting, I don't put much stock in them...though time will tell.

Dave - Toronto

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

Bob (1st October 2016), kirolak (1st October 2016), Lifebringer (1st October 2016), Mercedes (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), Star Tsar (1st October 2016), Wind (1st October 2016)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,716 times in 649 posts

In other words, there's a 99.0% - 99.7% chance that nothing will happen within the next week.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

avid (1st October 2016), Bob (1st October 2016), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2016), Fanna (3rd October 2016), fourty-two (9th October 2016), Heartsong (2nd October 2016), LivioRazlo (1st October 2016), Mercedes (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), Nasu (1st October 2016), Rex (1st October 2016), Satori (1st October 2016), Savannah (2nd October 2016), Tyy1907 (1st October 2016), Wind (1st October 2016), wnlight (1st October 2016)

6. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 times in 301 posts

That 0.03 -1.0 % Chance is still a BIG RISK

for all of the unfortunate people concerned, in my humble opinion.

I can only offer them my best wishes.
    Last edited by boja; 1st October 2016 at 12:45.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boja For This Post:

Bob (1st October 2016), DNA (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), Sunny-side-up (1st October 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,973 times in 7,882 posts

Hopefully nothing will happen.
    Hardly a month goes bye as far as I can recall without some physic, whistle blower, insider, saying much the same.

You are more likely to be killed driving a car.
    Death is a fact of life so is the new born.
    When you know you are not the body a lot of fear goes,
    --however no one wishes disaster on anyone---survivors who have lost loved ones go through hell.

chris
    A charity to help African Children become self sufficient. :attention:

http://www.learningtoolsforselfdevelopment.co.uk/

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Basho (2nd October 2016), Bob (1st October 2016), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2016), kirolak (9th October 2016), Mercedes (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), Nasu (1st October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016), Sunny-side-up (1st October 2016), Wind (1st October 2016), YoYoYo (1st October 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by boja (here)
    That 0.03 -1.0 % Chance is still a BIG RISK

for all of the unfortunate people concerned in my humble opinion.

I can only offer them my best wishes.
    California Earthquake Prediction Evaluation Council issued the report in conjunction with USGS. I just don't think they issue reports frivolously.. 239 'aftershocks' for the Sept 26th quake right on the south flank of the San Andreas and into the Brawley Seismic zone (see the OP post 1 image) is high in one day before they issued the alert. The 26 Sept. was a recorded 4.3 magnitude quake.

I agree with Boja, 1% or even 0.03 is still a GUESS. What they have showing up is a lot of earthquake swarms at a junction of the San Andreas and the Brawley Seismic zone. Since California gets numerous quakes, and they don't issue an alert, this is different..

References - "The Brawley Seismic Zone (BSZ), also known as the Brawley fault zone, is a predominantly extensional tectonic zone that connects the southern terminus of the San Andreas Fault with the Imperial Fault in Southern California". It also is a contact point for the Baja Peninsula and the East Pacific Rise. It's also tied into volcanic and geothermal activity. When the area "cracks", rifts open up, as far as the Mexico/California border such as in 1979. A lot of swarm activity happens on the BSZ, not small but larger 5+, close to a 5.8 magnitude.

Summarizing, activity is happening somewhere along the plates, and is focalizing in that area apparently and that is enough it seems to have called the alert.

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,803 times in 3,249 posts

Hmm! bad place to build so much habit.
    May all activity there will be small events and so release gently.

When I looked at the map my mind showed me the 'Salton Sea' disrepair as if down a big hole? Hope that wouldn't cause extra event problems in that area?
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bob (1st October 2016), boja (1st October 2016), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2016), greybeard (1st October 2016), Mercedes (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016)

13. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,973 times in 7,882 posts

Risk of big earthquake on San Andreas fault rises after quake swarm at Salton Sea

More on the link--brief part here.
    Chris

The rumbling started Monday morning deep under the Salton Sea. A rapid succession of small earthquakes — three measuring above magnitude 4.0 — began rupturing near Bombay Beach, continuing for more than 24 hours. Before the swarm started to fade, more than 200 earthquakes had been recorded.

The temblors were not felt over a very large area, but they have garnered intense interest — and concern — among seismologists. It marked only the third time since earthquake sensors were installed there in 1932 that the area had seen such a swarm, and this one had more earthquakes than the events of 2001 and 2009.

The quakes occurred in one of California’s most seismically complex areas. They hit in a seismic zone just south of where the mighty San Andreas fault ends. It is composed of a web of faults that scientists fear could one day wake up the nearby San Andreas from its long slumber.

Various items regarding this and other earthquakes on this link
    https://www.earthquakestoday.info/
    Last edited by greybeard; 1st October 2016 at 09:30.
    A charity to help African Children become self sufficient. :attention:

http://www.learningtoolsforselfdevelopment.co.uk/

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bob (1st October 2016), boja (1st October 2016), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2016), kirolak (9th October 2016), Mercedes (1st October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016), Spellbound (1st October 2016), Sunny-side-up (1st October 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,969 times in 830 posts

We send you in California our best wishes from another land of earthquakes - Ecuador.
    - Warren Light

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Bob (1st October 2016), boja (1st October 2016), Cidersomerset (2nd October 2016), fourty-two (9th October 2016), Michelle Marie (1st October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016), Sunny (1st October 2016)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,213 times in 18,662 posts

Risk of big earthquake on San Andreas fault rises after quake swarm at Salton Sea

By David on 2 October 2016 GMT Planetary change

THE LOS ANGELES TIMES...

A view of the San Andreas fault in the Carrizo Plain. A valley is deeply eroded along the fault. (U.S. Geological Survey)
    By Rong-Gong Lin II

October 1, 2016, 5:00 PM

‘The rumbling started Monday morning deep under the Salton Sea. A rapid succession of
    small earthquakes — three measuring above magnitude 4.0 — began rupturing near
    Bombay Beach, continuing for more than 24 hours. Before the swarm started to fade,
    more than 200 earthquakes had been recorded.

The temblors were not felt over a very large area, but they have garnered intense interest
    — and concern — among seismologists. It marked only the third time since earthquake
    sensors were installed there in 1932 that the area had seen such a swarm, and this one
    had more earthquakes than the events of 2001 and 2009.’

Read more: Risk of big earthquake on San Andreas fault rises after quake swarm at Salton Sea

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 2nd October 2016 at 09:43.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Bob (2nd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (2nd October 2016), greybeard (2nd October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,213 times in 18,662 posts

A couple articles as I'm looking thru David Ickes headline page one possibly
    related article and the other a demonstration of natures power....

New Study Blames Fracking For Spike In Oklahoma Earthquakes

By David on 2 October 2016 GMT Corporate Crime Planetary change

New Study Blames Fracking For Spike In Oklahoma Earthquakes
    Posted on October 1, 2016

By Whitney Webb

‘For years, scientists and other have speculated that the spike in earthquakes in Oklahoma was
    linked to natural gas extraction via the controversial method of hydraulic fracturing. Hydraulic
    fracturing, more commonly known as “fracking”, is hugely controversial due to its permanent
    destruction of groundwater and drinking water as well as its use of cancerous chemicals that
    often leak into rivers and streams. Yet, it seems that an increase in earthquakes is also another
    unpleasant side effect of fracking.

From 1975 to 2008, the US Geological Survey measured, on average, 1 to 3 earthquakes annually
    in Oklahoma. Once the current fracking boom began in 2009, that number spiked to an average
    40 earthquakes annually from 2009 to 2013 and they’ve been worsening since. In 2014, Oklahoma
    experienced over 580 earthquakes of 3.0 magnitude or greater. Thankfully, a new study has put
    any doubt to rest, once and for all proving that this dangerous spike in earthquakes is a direct
    result of widespread fracking.’

Cumulative number of earthquakes with a magnitude of 3.0 or larger in the central and eastern
    United States, 1970–2016. The long-term rate of approximately 29 earthquakes per year increased
    sharply starting around 2009. Credit – USGS

Read more: New Study Blames Fracking For Spike In Oklahoma Earthquakes

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2016/10/...rthquakes.html

===============================================

Stunning timelapse: Colima volcano erupts in Mexico

By David on 2 October 2016 GMT

Published on 1 Oct 2016
    Notorious Colima volcano, one of most active in the world, erupts in Mexico, prompting evacuation

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

greybeard (2nd October 2016), peterpam (2nd October 2016), Sunny-side-up (3rd October 2016)

21. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

frac'ing has NOTHING to do with this thread Cider.. This thread talks about instability happening under the Salton Sea. There is no frac'ing coming from Oklahoma messing with the San Andreas (in California) or the fault zone that connects to it, leading down to Mexico (through California), -- good thought but there are no injection wells at the location of the earthquake or focal point..

INJECTION WELLS are responsible for numerous earthquakes in Oklahoma.

There are now numerous very good detailed report threads documenting INJECTION WELLS which are putting continual PRESSURE deep underground in zones which can absorb ASSOCIATED WATER (and waste water from frac'ing operations)..

Injection wells should be paid attention to.. There aren't any where the earthquake was noted..

Injection wells are VERY different than frac'ing an oil or gas well.. Specifics are needed, not party line stuff.. Just to give the best information..

Frac'ing has nothing to do with it..
    Last edited by Bob; 2nd October 2016 at 22:11.

22. Link to Post #13
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Felt that one here, my psychic self is still feeling movement

23. Link to Post #14
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

According to Sorchas Russian subs are off both coasts, one coast getting hammered by hurricane the other earthquakes...

The nuclear agreement between US and Russia is over, so why wouldn't weather modification and quake weapons be also?

Both follow the threats issued by one of America's biggest warmongers, saying ready to destroy Russia to remove Putin from power

+ Reply to Thread