+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's up with the banks? Insolvent?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 times in 337 posts

Default What's up with the banks? Insolvent?

A friend of mine who just sold a condo and deposited more than 200K USD in a large USA bank last week, went to the bank yesterday to withdraw 15k cash and was told they could only give her 10k. They told her she would have to return next week if she wanted more cash, and she said, ok I will withdraw 10k next week and they said, "you can only take out 5k next week"

She was shocked and so am I. Might be a good idea to stock up on cash at home
    if one can get any.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Althena (8th October 2016), ElfeMya (9th October 2016), Mercedes (8th October 2016), Michelle Marie (10th October 2016), Pam (14th October 2016), seko (9th October 2016), shaberon (9th October 2016), Sunny-side-up (9th October 2016), wnlight (8th October 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: What's up with the banks? Insolvent?

This is normal SOP for the US Banks. Move along, nothing to see here.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to parcival For This Post:

Antagenet (13th October 2016), ElfeMya (9th October 2016), Mercedes (8th October 2016), Pam (14th October 2016), seko (9th October 2016), take (14th October 2016), TargeT (8th October 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    A friend of mine who just sold a condo and deposited more than 200K USD in a large USA bank last week, went to the bank yesterday to withdraw 15k cash and was told they could only give her 10k. They told her she would have to return next week if she wanted more cash, and she said, ok I will withdraw 10k next week and they said, "you can only take out 5k next week"

She was shocked and so am I. Might be a good idea to stock up on cash at home
    if one can get any.
    I'm seriously considering closing my W.F. and BofA accounts in the US. Money is not safe in banks anymore.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 times in 321 posts

if you dont physically possess it - its not yours. simple as that. btw new episode by mike maloney came out:

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Morbid For This Post:

Alan (8th October 2016), Antagenet (13th October 2016), Basho (8th October 2016), ElfeMya (9th October 2016), Mercedes (8th October 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by parcival (here)
    This is normal SOP for the US Banks. Move along, nothing to see here.
    very very typical with large amounts... they REALLY want to make sure *EVERYTHING* clears.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Althena (here)
    I'm seriously considering closing my W.F. and BofA accounts in the US. Money is not safe in banks anymore.
    You shoulda done that a long time ago! at least just use a local credit union.. don't support those monsters!

Quote Posted by Morbid (here)
    if you dont physically possess it - its not yours.
    I keep all my money in assets, in fact I keep a lot of the banks money in assets too.. haha
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Antagenet (13th October 2016), ElfeMya (9th October 2016), Pam (14th October 2016), parcival (9th October 2016), seko (9th October 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,541 times in 4,011 posts

Part of the Quantitative Easing milieu involves banks having to hold higher reserves in the "Fractional Reserve Lending" scheme. This is one among probably many other factors that have made them tighten the reigns.

The 10k withdrawl is going to be reported to the IRS, and if they keep going back for 5k it might wind up reported as "suspicious activity".

As for selling the condo for 200k, if one asked for the price in cash, some jaws would probably drop. Giving out that much to one person actually does interfere with "cash on hand" for general operations; and if there was a "bank run", they would all be closed within a few hours.

Nothing unusual business-wise, it's the entire money system that is an aberration.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Antagenet (13th October 2016), parcival (9th October 2016)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

Is it any wonder bankers were "jumped" from high rises when the Billionaires discovered their money was squandered or stolen? The banker who committed suicide by shooting himself with a nail gun almost 20 times was the best I have heard so far.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amor For This Post:

Antagenet (13th October 2016)

14. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

No problem, just withdraw 10 00 from one branch, walk to the one across the street and get another 10 000 from there etc.

+ Reply to Thread