+ Reply to Thread

Thread: U.S. colleges abandon real education for coloring books and 'safe spaces' to coddle young, ignorant minds

1. Link to Post #1
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

Default U.S. colleges abandon real education for coloring books and 'safe spaces' to coddle young, ignorant minds

(NaturalNews) Left-wing extremist fanatics have long since taken over the nation's institutes of "higher" education and are using them not to advance learning but to impose a new social order and to churn out sheep who are incapable of critical thought.

That's the only way to explain the lunacy that keeps emanating from our nation's colleges and universities. Worse, these kids are next generation of voters and policymakers – never forget that.

The College Fix is reporting that essentially, the "progressive" social change artists running colleges and universities are creating mindless cowards who are incapable of dealing with anything controversial or confrontational.

"In the age of safe spaces and trigger warnings comes another new trend to the college repertoire: coloring books," the site notes, adding that this fall campuses around the country are offering them to students so they can "de-stress" (rather than teaching them ways to better handle and manage stress, which is simply a fact of life).

For instance, at American University, the school's counseling center made coloring sheets available in recognition of "Healthy Campus Week." The school noted on its Facebook page that coloring books for adults "can help with a number of emotional and mental health issues" (or cause them, perhaps?).

We're conditioning our young people to run away from stress rather than figure out ways to deal with it

Allegedly, such coloring materials can help relieve obsessive-compulsive behavior, over-eating, anxiety and depressive disorders, as well as substance abuse issues and anger management. The AU center claimed that the time and focus it takes for adults to color "helps the individual remove the focus from the negative issues and habits," allowing the person to "focus them in a safe and productive way."

Yes, this is real. And yes, there are people who believe this – far too many, in fact.

Meanwhile, at the University of Wyoming, there is an "Art-Well" program creators say aims to "color your stress away." The website notes further that students are provided coloring pages and colors. There are scheduled "Art-Well times" but for students who can't make those, they can come to the "Wellness Center Zen Den any time."

At the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth there is a program called "StressLess Days," which are held on Wednesdays. As in the previous cases, UMass Dartmouth provides coloring materials as well as "crafts and games" for poor, stressed-out students.

The University of Missouri has a similar program, which College Fix reporter Kayla Schierbecker tweet-described as the launch of the school's "adult daycare" program. As do several others, including Brown University and the University of California-San Diego, The College Fix reported.

Several other ways of handling stress besides resorting to a childhood activity

"Coloring is like meditation because it encourages engagement with the present moment. When we focus on the present moment, we do not worry about the future, ruminate about the past, or engage in negative self talk," says Northcentral University Prof. Mary Jill Blackwell.

Well, that may be true – but the same could be said about spending time studying to be a better student or reading assignments to learn more – both functions of higher education. Or, at least they used to be.

Then again, people need to learn how to handle stress, not run away from it. Being able to handle the inevitable stress in your life makes you a stronger person. But if a person has been sheltered from it most of their lives, when they are faced with a stressful situation they must deal with, they are unprepared to handle it because they've never done it. They don't know how. So the result can be disastrous – lashing out in anger, complete mental breakdown, turning to alcohol and/or drugs or even suicide.

There are several ways to handle stress other than turning to a childhood activity – do something physical (like sports or working out), sleep more, talk to a friend or find solutions to your problems on your own by writing them down.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I don't even know where to begin...

2. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: U.S. colleges abandon real education for coloring books and 'safe spaces' to coddle young, ignorant minds

It's a strange strange world we live in....

Who would have thought the leftist would be the violent ones?
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Althena (8th October 2016), bluestflame (8th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,389 times in 1,715 posts

Default Re: U.S. colleges abandon real education for coloring books and 'safe spaces' to coddle young, ignorant minds

Have the students focus on something complete different to their course of study would be very helpful in reducing stress. I think NaturalNews has got this one wrong, colouring books are a good idea this is actually the use of the "distraction technique".
    Would not a liking for colouring books be preferable to the students developing a drug or alcohol habit or suffering from and developing disorders like depression or stress related disorders.
    I used to have a half hour nap, that made me feel refreshed and ready to go for another 3 hours of night classes after my days work.
    Last edited by BMJ; 8th October 2016 at 13:57.

5. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

"We're conditioning our young people to run away from stress rather than figure out ways to deal with it"
    Yes I see this everyday.

I live in CA but I'm not from here. I also work in a bureaucratic institution and the majority of my colleagues are college educated and under 30. I believe both these factors have an influence on what I have observed. The generational differences I notice (I'm 60 from NY) is their acceptance of poor working conditions. They rationalize nonsense paperwork, incompetent supervisors and poor working conditions. They value above all else political correctness and social niceness. They perceive the people they work with as a "team", rather than a group of individuals who have the same job and separate responsibilities. The idea of rebellion, going to the union and saying no to authority figures is foreign to them. It is very disturbing.
    Last edited by Savannah; 8th October 2016 at 15:19.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), bluestflame (8th October 2016), ceetee9 (9th October 2016), Hervé (8th October 2016), Ines (10th October 2016), Pam (9th October 2016), rgray222 (9th October 2016), seko (10th October 2016), sigma6 (9th October 2016), TargeT (8th October 2016)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Education and work institutions promoting the HIVE MIND.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), Savannah (9th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (8th October 2016)

9. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

trauma induced mind control 101

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (8th October 2016)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by bluestflame (here)
    trauma induced mind control 101
    Maybe,... maybe... but only if they are lowering the threshold for what people consider "trauma"... what with all these safe-spaces and "triggered" and PC BS... it seems very very easy to traumatize a modern college student.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), bluestflame (8th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,704 times in 8,941 posts

My gosh! They became Canadians. (Kidding)

Quote Posted by Savannah (here)
    "We're conditioning our young people to run away from stress rather than figure out ways to deal with it"
    Yes I see this everyday.

I live in CA but I'm not from here. I also work in a bureaucratic institution and the majority of my colleagues are college educated and under 30. I believe both these factors have an influence on what I have observed. The generational differences I notice (I'm 60 from NY) is their acceptance of poor working conditions. They rationalize nonsense paperwork, incompetent supervisors and poor working conditions. They value above all else political correctness and social niceness. They perceive the people they work with as a "team", rather than a group of individuals who have the same job and separate responsibilities. The idea of rebellion, going to the union and saying no to authority figures is foreign to them. It is very disturbing.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), Pam (9th October 2016), sigma6 (9th October 2016), sunwings (8th October 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,058 times in 4,061 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    ...but only if they are lowering the threshold for what people consider "trauma"...
    Oh, I would have to say it's been lowered from an actual knife in the spleen to "I felt uncomfortable".

Coloring encourages engagement with the present moment??

Often, such things are only the result of a bribe/kickback scheme from the manufacturer. I admit I have a few colored pages of Cogsworth and Lumiere that someone gave me back then...if you like doing it, that's fine, but if they're going to distribute materials, why not on a rack beside the newspapers? Isn't the counsellor's office where I go when I need someone neutral to talk to, not for art supplies? "I wanted someone to talk me out of killing my roommate, but I picked up this book and engaged the present moment...it didn't solve any issues, but I was able to give up on everything". Hrm.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (9th October 2016)

17. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Universities have become an indoctrination and not an education.
    Last edited by rgray222; 9th October 2016 at 23:18.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), bluestflame (9th October 2016), ceetee9 (9th October 2016), Michelle Marie (10th October 2016), Savannah (9th October 2016), seko (10th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (9th October 2016), vano915 (15th October 2016)

19. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Well, I had a thought. Perhaps the textbooks could become coloring text books. I envision coloring the Krebs cycle (organic chemistry) and sacred geometry would be a natural and history sounds like a particularly colorful subject to study. What coloring text book would you design?
    Last edited by peggy englebrake; 13th October 2016 at 18:00.

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Yes I see this everyday.

Interesting observations. I wonder if their tolerance for poor working conditions stems from the fact that they have grown up in a world where glitches in systems are more the norm then the exception. They expect glitches, they expect that things won't work as they should and expect to spend a great part of their workday dealing with them.

The team concept, while it looks good on the surface can also be a cover for abdicating personal responsibility. Being satisfied with doing meaningless paperwork is the bread and butter of bureaucracies. And the really important important part is never, ever offend anyone.

It really is a different world, although it didn't happen overnight. We have all played a role in it. As far as I can see we have been marching toward this for a good 40 years, probably more. I don't see it getting any better without a major implosion.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), Basho (9th October 2016), ceetee9 (9th October 2016), seko (10th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (9th October 2016)

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    It's a strange strange world we live in....

Who would have thought the leftist would be the violent ones?
    Hi TargeT

As you/we know there is no left or right anymore, they are all puppets with unseen hands stuck up their rear-ends, and in their wallets.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Althena (9th October 2016), ceetee9 (9th October 2016), Shannon (9th October 2016), TargeT (9th October 2016)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,495 times in 731 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Yes I see this everyday.

Interesting observations. I wonder if their tolerance for poor working conditions stems from the fact that they have grown up in a world where glitches in systems are more the norm then the exception. They expect glitches, they expect that things won't work as they should and expect to spend a great part of their workday dealing with them.

The team concept, while it looks good on the surface can also be a cover for abdicating personal responsibility. Being satisfied with doing meaningless paperwork is the bread and butter of bureaucracies. And the really important important part is never, ever offend anyone.

It really is a different world, although it didn't happen overnight. We have all played a role in it. As far as I can see we have been marching toward this for a good 40 years, probably more. I don't see it getting any better without a major implosion.
    I believe we are socially engendered and each generation has had a different set of objectives and thus propaganda directed at them. I grew up on the tail end of the Hippie generation. The meme at that time was to get us to take drugs and rebel against our parents. They wanted "drug, sex and rock n roll" to be our mantra. The goal was to destroy the family unit and make us think poisoning our brains with drugs was cool. They needed to fund the SSP and black projects. They now have that taken care of by the under class (most Hispanics, Blacks and poor whites) Thus they want the college educated/middle calls (what's left of it) to buy into transhumanism. I didn't "trust anyone over 30" and grew up thinking rebellion was a social value. Rebellion is not a mandate for the under 30 generation. They need to buy in! They have to buy all the new technology and believe that authority figures have their best interest in heart and they should trust Google. They trust the Boss even if they think he is a bit incompetent, that's ok he's just a nice old guy. Were a "team" we can help him out and do it for him and they do every day. In old days (ha ha ) the saying would have been give that guy enough rope he will hang himself, I got my own work to do.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savannah For This Post:

bluestflame (15th October 2016), seko (10th October 2016)

26. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member vano915's Avatar
    Thanks

I have thought for some time that if my children were still young, I would send them all to trade schools and make sure they had library cards so they could educate themselves. College has gotten to be a joke, not an education.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vano915 For This Post:

Althena (16th October 2016), bluestflame (15th October 2016)

+ Reply to Thread