Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Excerpt - Quote from the book 'Advanced Teachings' by Mrs. Endall Beall

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,951 times in 4,333 posts

Default Re: Excerpt - Quote from the book 'Advanced Teachings' by Mrs. Endall Beall

Quote Posted by MrsEndallBeall (here)
    "You should stick around here. You could learn something." Oh I have already, but are you willing to learn something?
    I'm willing to hear you out.
    If I were to summarize my explorations into the briefest of statements it would be this.
    We are not egotistically ruled and spiritually stunted without a reason.
    There are vast forces placed in positions to manipulate mankind. They do so for the second reason I've listed above.
    The maneuvers they use on you are not the maneuvers they use on me, they have a unique set of methods for manipulating everyone on the planet.
    True spiritual awakening is not just opening one's eyes, it is entering into battle with forces who wish to keep you asleep.
    When you have learned to open your eyes the battle has just begun.
    It seems to be you wish to help people open their eyes.
    Fair enough, but this is exceedingly difficult to do, and it is a solitary battle first and foremost.
    As someone who has done this, I'm here to tell you, this is only the very first step, and for those who are truly capable of opening their eyes to what is going on, be prepared, for there are forces that will be gazing back at you.

Having seen what I have seen I feel the pursuit of spirituality is folly.
    I prefer to take a break from my ego while enjoying a glass of scotch, and to try my best to be in service to my friends and family.
    I raise my scotch and I toast you.
    I apologize if I've over reacted. I simply have a knee jerk reaction to guru types who try to lead folks on a fools errand.
    I take solace in the understanding that reincarnationally speaking, we all chose to be here, and that this is simply a lesson we have chosen to take part in.

Cheers

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Baby Steps (23rd October 2016), earthadvocate (24th October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), Ivanhoe (24th October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), Wind (23rd October 2016)

3. Link to Post #82
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Default Re: Excerpt - Quote from the book 'Advanced Teachings' by Mrs. Endall Beall

D.N.A. when Self is realized there is no ego left to claim enlightenment.
    When an experience happens, no matter how profound, who is aware of this event?
    Experiences come and go, Self does not and is unchanged by any experience.
    The persona is sometimes greatly affected.
    So time being anything that is helpful to the persona is just that.

Not everyone wants enlightenment/Self realization--most want an easier more enjoyable life and thats good too.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), earthadvocate (24th October 2016), Flash (23rd October 2016), kirolak (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), Wind (23rd October 2016)

5. Link to Post #83
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,309 times in 18,139 posts

Earlier I stated some of the benefits from Doug Michaels and the Beall’s material: 1) confirmations of what I know 2) confirmations of something long forgotten.

What I’ve come to know is expansion happens in the sweet-spot of the unknown. That last step before I’m in, there’s a clamor of fright and ballsy and excitement.

At one level it took incremental steps of preparation to sideline security blankets of intellectual and physical properties. It takes/took determination to break from the range of rituals to beliefs. Such as, in order to progress, I needed the false notion of the twenty-eight years of Tai Chi, the Reiki, the books, the philosophies, the affirmations, the gadgets, the matching cranberry zafu cushion and meditation mat and on and on.

An example of a symbolic gesture was fifteen years ago, I simplified things by donating my Reiki massage table. Two weeks ago, my final act of really breaking free was I tossed my massage chair and matching stool. Healing? Boom! Done. No props. No ritual. No burning incense. No smudging. No song. Boom! Done.

Now, my approach is health is our natural state. Note: I’m a work in progress. I’m a work in progress. I’m a …

Forty-five plus years, I’ve collected anchors. All of it served to keep me sideline; away from the straight up sweet-spot of the unknown, the expansion, the growth of expansion which naturally occurs from openness of exploration.

Now? I’m all in.
    I’m bungie jumping without a rope.
    I’m a fire-waker.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 10th October 2020 at 01:25.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), earthadvocate (24th October 2016), Flash (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016)

7. Link to Post #84
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Thanks Paula

I am laughing alone right now

I thought this name was a true name - you see, many names in English have a foreign connotation for me anyhow, so I took for grantef that the author's name was not a plume name but was his/her true name.

Sometimes I do not understand a word and deduct its meaning based on context. This time I truly missed. And forget double meanings when it is not your mothertongue, they are a true pain to understand. I would never have seen the meanings of that plume name without your explanations.
    Me, too, Flash. Initially, I was taken aback by the name. But I couldn’t blame it on language barrier. That snarky voice in me came out of no where.
    Fortunately, I persisted even when the ego said, “Oh, no you don’t, sister.”
    “Step awwayyyy from the book.”
    "Hey, look over there! What's that?"
    “RunningDeer...Ben & Jerry’s. Ben & Jerry’s.”

Last edited by RunningDeer; 31st July 2017 at 23:00.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), earthadvocate (24th October 2016), Flash (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 765 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Now, my approach is health is our natural state.
    I Think that's true.
    Sickness is a Defense against the truth, according to ACIM.
    Quote Sickness is a decision. It is not a thing that happens to you, quite unsought, which makes you weak and brings you suffering. It is a choice you make, a plan you lay, when for an instant truth arises in your own deluded mind, and all your world appears to totter and prepare to fall. Now are you sick, that truth may go away and threaten your establishments no more. How do you think that sickness can succeed in shielding you from truth? Because it proves the body is not separate from you, and so you must be separate from the truth. You suffer pain because the body does, and in this pain are you made one with it. Thus is your "true" identity preserved, and the strange, haunting thought that you might be something beyond this little pile of dust silenced and stilled. For see, this dust can make you suffer, twist your limbs and stop your heart, commanding you to die and cease to be.

I have forgotten what I really am, for I mistook my body for myself. Sickness is a defense against the truth. But I am not a body. And my mind cannot attack. So I can not be sick.
    Last edited by Rich; 23rd October 2016 at 19:51.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), earthadvocate (24th October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

11. Link to Post #86
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EmEx (here)
    I Think that's true.
    Quote Sickness is a decision.
    Sickness is an intentional designer flaw by the trickster gods that want everyone on their knees in praise and obedience of their authority. Sickness is part of the tampered body template of implants and programs. The same with limited intelligence, imperfection, fear and god dependency. Sickness is livestock management.

The antidote is annihilation of the egoic hypnotic trance. Knowledge of and brutally honest self-assessment and behavioral changes will lance the puss filled the mind-body virus.

Quote I have forgotten what I really am, for I mistook my body for myself.
    I had become complacent in my quest because I had fallen into habits of quoting from outside authorities. It became no different from the religious zealots that speak their rote jargon of chapter and verse.

Simply put: I live this spirit-body. Yes, I'm spirit. I'm here to explore and expand in ways I discover as I go.

Quote according to ACIM
    I read ACIM and from cover to cover and parts over and over, including the exercises provided and the workbook. I’ve long since moved on from it.

“A Course in Miracles” was channeled through Helen Schucman. I now understand how those false induced feelings of elation only served to feed a trickster Jesus impersonator.

What little ah-has I gleaned while engaged in the material was just enough to keep me side-tracked from my journey of wakening to this holographic dinner party. I was not a guest. I was the menu. Today’s special for inorganic minions to feast off.

This spirit-body is shaking off the implanted nano-bot-fleas and zapping the matrix circuit boards.

Now, the only mantra chanted is:

god, no soup for you.
    Don’t come back in one year.

This kitchen is C-L-O-S-E-D.
    This kitchen is closed.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 10th October 2020 at 01:22.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Baby Steps (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), Smell the Roses (17th December 2017)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Wow!.... Bumping

Earlier I stated some of the benefits from Doug Michaels and the Beall’s material: 1) confirmations of what I know 2) confirmations of something long forgotten.

What I’ve come to know is expansion happens in the sweet-spot of the unknown. That last step before I’m in, there’s a clamor of fright and ballsy and excitement.

At one level it took incremental steps of preparation to sideline security blankets of intellectual and physical properties. It takes/took determination to break from the range of rituals to beliefs. Such as, in order to progress, I needed the false notion of the twenty-eight years of Tai Chi, the Reiki, the books, the philosophies, the affirmations, the gadgets, the matching cranberry zafu cushion and meditation mat and on and on.

An example of a symbolic gesture was fifteen years ago, I simplified things by donating my Reiki massage table. Two weeks ago, my final act of really breaking free was I tossed my massage chair and matching stool. Healing? Boom! Done. No props. No ritual. No burning incense. No smudging. No song. Boom! Done.

Now, my approach is health is our natural state. Note: I’m a work in progress. I’m a work in progress. I’m a …

Forty-five plus years, I’ve collected anchors. All of it served to keep me sideline; away from the straight up sweet-spot of the unknown, the expansion, the growth of expansion which naturally occurs from openness of exploration.

Now? I’m all in.
    I’m bungie jumping without a rope.
    I’m a fire-waker.

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

15. Link to Post #88
    Thanks

Deer, ACIM may not be for everyone the book itself says that there are many valid teachings.

What I like about ACIM is that it goes all the way,
    no other teachers are required.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

17. Link to Post #89
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The late Dr David Hawkins promoted A.C.I.M.
    He made several comments.
    One was that the first part was possibly channeled from a different entity and best to concentrate on the work book,.
    Secondly that the course demonised the ego, which was in his eyes not helpful--best to transcend it.

I moved on from the course but have respect for it as it makes one questions all belief systems, concepts etc.
    Eckhart Tolle also respected the course.

As said its up to the individual to find what ever is helpful.
    That may change as "progress" is made.
    Ch

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

19. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Paula several "Enlightened souls" have said that you have to try, try, try, till you see the futility of it and just surrender to what is.
    No one ever gained enlightenment--you cant make it happen.
    Its not surrender in normal terms--just give up searching.

Ch.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

21. Link to Post #91
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,951 times in 4,333 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    The late Dr David Hawkins promoted A.C.I.M.
    He made several comments.
    One was that the first part was possibly channeled from a different entity and best to concentrate on the work book,.
    I'm okay with channeled material, as long as one has developed the ability to discern the wheat from the chaff.

Quote Secondly that the course demonised the ego, which was in his eyes not helpful--best to transcend it.
    Rather than fight with my ego, I've learned to recognize it, embrace it, know the nuances of it.
    If you truly know your ego, if you really get to know it, you will find that you can bust your mother efn ass doing whatever you want to transcend, battle, escape from it, in the end you realize you will never be rid of it. Best to make good with your ego and in all honesty live as peaceful as you can with it.
    The ego does not follow you to the other side.
    Not only does the ego not follow you, but you are suddenly aligned with the greater part of yourself that you separated from in order to incarnate here.
    We incarnated here to understand life while connected to ego. We did not incarnate here to experience life in a blissful state of meditative transcendence. The ego is not a lesson taught in terms of a prison guard one needs to escape from, but rather a life long room mate one has to learn to endure and proceed in spite of, it is as if we are Felix from the Odd Couple and our ego is Oscar. Apparently reincarnationally speaking there are not too many lessons to be learned with legs in a lotus position while sitting in contemplative bliss next to a willow reed punctuated pond.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), Smell the Roses (17th December 2017)

23. Link to Post #92
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Paula several "Enlightened souls" have said that you have to try, try, try, till you see the futility of it and just surrender to what is.

Ch.
    Chris, I’m no stranger to the genre. In fact, I have replacements for many I’ve read, also with some duplicate copies in iBook and Kindle. And then there’s reams of color coded note taking and reflection as I read along.

I get it. I have the experiential as part of the resume as well. It was time to removed them from my favorites on my GPS of life.

To name a few:
    • All of Dr. David R. Hawkins books, (with the exception of the first: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior), replacements and some in iBook and Kindle. Then there’s Dr. Hawkins lectures on VCR and then DVD. All passed along to a dear friend.

• Eknath Easwaran’s trilogy of: The Dhammapada, The Upanishad and The Bhagavad Gita. Others such as Dialogue with Death: A Journey Through Consciousness and Timeless Wisdom: Passages for Meditation from the World's Saints & Sages, and a couple of his lectures on DVD.

• If not all then most of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj books including the ones from several authors.

• The same for Sri Ramana Maharshi and author David Godman.

• Also books by Sri H. W. L. Poonja, Mooji, Eckhart Tolle, Gangaji, Thich Nhat Hanh, Rumi, Osho, Adyashanti, Krishnamurti, and more…
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 23rd October 2016 at 21:33.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016)

25. Link to Post #93
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ch.
    Chris, I’m no stranger to the genre. In fact, I have replacements for many I’ve read, also with some duplicate copies in iBook and Kindle. And then there’s reams of color coded note taking and reflection as I read along.

I get it. I have the experiential as part of the resume as well. It was time to removed them from my favorites on my GPS of life.

To name a few:
    • All of Dr. David R. Hawkins books, (with the exception of the first: The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior), replacements and some in iBook and Kindle. Then there’s Dr. Hawkins lectures on VCR and then DVD. All passed along to a dear friend.

• Eknath Easwaran’s trilogy of: The Dhammapada, The Upanishad and The Bhagavad Gita. Others such as Dialogue with Death: A Journey Through Consciousness and Timeless Wisdom: Passages for Meditation from the World's Saints & Sages, and a couple of his lectures on DVD.

• If not all then most of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj books including the ones from several authors.

• The same for Sri Ramana Maharshi and author David Godman.

• Also books by Sri H. W. L. Poonja, Mooji, Eckhart Tolle, Gangaji, Thich Nhat Hanh, Rumi, Osho, Adyashanti, Krishnamurti, and more…
    Oh yes Paula Im well aware that you have knowledge of the genre, more than most.

I dont read anymore--things get removed from my life without me giving them up it just happens.
    My opinion and its just mine, is as stated that there is a process then you give up--im not searching anymore but I do like the energy or whatever you would call it from some of the videos.
    Mooji I like but I tend to listen to Stephen Wolinsky the most.
    He spent time with Nisargadatta and said that his final suggestion was forget his teaching and just remain in consciousness , thats enough.

None of the considerable time spent on the "search" is regretted as it has changed my life for the better.
    The mind is at peace--its a good servant, nothing troubles me, yet im not dumbed down and there is compassion.

I consider my self fortunate.

With respect for you.

Chris

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

27. Link to Post #94
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,243 times in 942 posts

MrsEndallBeall

Teaching on what?
    Enlightenment---Self Realization--Non-duality.
    There are no advance teaching on these that Im aware of.
    For me spirituality is finding the answer to the question "Who am I"
    It may well be different for you.
    Looking forward to your response Mrs
    Ch
    Hi Greybeard I think this deceptively simple teaching penetrates some pretty subtle levels and is worthy of an advanced teaching.

Replace the word mountain with any difficult predicament you or I commonly face.

For many the word 'mountain' can be analogous to overcoming any problem that serves to prolong human misery, and to attempt to overcome it and fail in the attempt is infinitely preferable to having never tried in the first place. It may well be too high to complete in the first few inexperienced attempts, and this symbolizes a predicament common to every person with high aspirations. Man longs instinctively for a life freed from competition and worry (a definition of happiness?) ; freed from hatred and violence; freed from the need for constant care.

Alas few people even suspect that such a state can exist or can be found. Of those who do entertain such hopes, most will turn away discouraged by saying, “But it’s much too difficult for me!" "Out of a thousand,” Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita, "one seeks Me." Those who take up the spiritual path for commonly expecting only blissful visions and a comfortable, trouble-free life, become discouraged when they find how often God neglects the roses in favour of thorns.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

greybeard (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016)

29. Link to Post #95
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

I Think that's true.

Sickness is a decision. It is not a thing that happens to you, quite unsought, which makes you weak and brings you suffering. It is a choice you make, a plan you lay, when for an instant truth arises in your own deluded mind, and all your world appears to totter and prepare to fall. Now are you sick, that truth may go away and threaten your establishments no more. How do you think that sickness can succeed in shielding you from truth? Because it proves the body is not separate from you, and so you must be separate from the truth. You suffer pain because the body does, and in this pain are you made one with it. Thus is your "true" identity preserved, and the strange, haunting thought that you might be something beyond this little pile of dust silenced and stilled. For see, this dust can make you suffer, twist your limbs and stop your heart, commanding you to die and cease to be.

I have forgotten what I really am, for I mistook my body for myself. Sickness is a defense against the truth. But I am not a body. And my mind cannot attack. So I can not be sick.
    I have been almost totally incapacitated for 20 years and ill for going on 50 years, starting in late childhood. As a vibrant healthy and happy child, I did NOT decide to have half my brain compromised and my body broken as a defence against the truth.

I was always big into the truth. I quit believing in Santa Claus when I was five years old and was labelled from early childhood as having 'morbid' curiosity. I wanted to know everything, including the unpleasant and ugly underside of things.

My body is a huge part of who I am. To deny that, in my life, would be a weird and unnecessary oversight. To identify solely as a sick person without any other identifiable characteristics, would also be pretty weird. Maybe this is what you are trying to say. Did you perceive your illness as a pure negative and identify too much with that aspect of it?

For me--(and I am speaking very specifically here, so as not to offend you, or diminish your own journey,) illness has been informative, one of those bitch goddess teachers you hated so much in school, but who forced you to knuckle down and learn.

I won't get better unless a cure is found. I don't mourn my condition nor seek sympathy. My illness has led me into deeper recesses of meaning and compassion, though it isn't always readily apparent. I have to be grateful for that, though I won't be sending 'teacher,' a fruit basket and thank you card anytime soon!

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Akasha (23rd October 2016), animovado (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016), Wind (26th October 2016)

31. Link to Post #96
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by happyuk (here)
    MrsEndallBeall

Teaching on what?
    Enlightenment---Self Realization--Non-duality.
    There are no advance teaching on these that Im aware of.
    For me spirituality is finding the answer to the question "Who am I"
    It may well be different for you.
    Looking forward to your response Mrs
    Ch
    Hi Greybeard I think this deceptively simple teaching penetrates some pretty subtle levels and is worthy of an advanced teaching.

Replace the word mountain with any difficult predicament you or I commonly face.

For many the word 'mountain' can be analogous to overcoming any problem that serves to prolong human misery, and to attempt to overcome it and fail in the attempt is infinitely preferable to having never tried in the first place. It may well be too high to complete in the first few inexperienced attempts, and this symbolizes a predicament common to every person with high aspirations. Man longs instinctively for a life freed from competition and worry (a definition of happiness?) ; freed from hatred and violence; freed from the need for constant care.

Alas few people even suspect that such a state can exist or can be found. Of those who do entertain such hopes, most will turn away discouraged by saying, “But it’s much too difficult for me!" "Out of a thousand,” Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita, "one seeks Me." Those who take up the spiritual path for commonly expecting only blissful visions and a comfortable, trouble-free life, become discouraged when they find how often God neglects the roses in favour of thorns.
    I was not questioning the mountain story as it is well known and used by quite a few--I think I said I found it useful.
    However it was the way that the opening post was presented that led me to query
    It was an honest question as to the variety of teaching being offered.
    It was as if a superiority was there---as in, I know something that you dont, ive come to share an advanced teaching--thats an assumption.
    Advanced suggests superior levels superior knowledge.

There are different levels but they are all equal.
    A univerrsity stutent is equal to a primary school pupil learning ABC
    The teacher has to know the class he is supposed to be teaching.
    Now that was my initial feeling--Im not saying I was right.

If you read the rest of my posts you will see that encouraged Mrs to continue.

Chris

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

AutumnW (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Flash (24th October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016)

33. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

Aplogies Autumn, I did not write this, it is an excerpt from ACIM not my words. I put it in a quote bubble now to make it more clear.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), AutumnW (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

35. Link to Post #98
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    I Think that's true.

Sickness is a decision. It is not a thing that happens to you, quite unsought, which makes you weak and brings you suffering. It is a choice you make, a plan you lay, when for an instant truth arises in your own deluded mind, and all your world appears to totter and prepare to fall. Now are you sick, that truth may go away and threaten your establishments no more. How do you think that sickness can succeed in shielding you from truth? Because it proves the body is not separate from you, and so you must be separate from the truth. You suffer pain because the body does, and in this pain are you made one with it. Thus is your "true" identity preserved, and the strange, haunting thought that you might be something beyond this little pile of dust silenced and stilled. For see, this dust can make you suffer, twist your limbs and stop your heart, commanding you to die and cease to be.

I have been almost totally incapacitated for 20 years and ill for going on 50 years, starting in late childhood. As a vibrant healthy and happy child, I did NOT decide to have half my brain compromised and my body broken as a defence against the truth.

I was always big into the truth. I quit believing in Santa Claus when I was five years old and was labelled from early childhood as having 'morbid' curiosity. I wanted to know everything, including the unpleasant and ugly underside of things.

My body is a huge part of who I am. To deny that, in my life, would be a weird and unnecessary oversight. To identify solely as a sick person without any other identifiable characteristics, would also be pretty weird. Maybe this is what you are trying to say. Did you perceive your illness as a pure negative and identify too much with that aspect of it?

For me--(and I am speaking very specifically here, so as not to offend you, or diminish your own journey,) illness has been informative, one of those bitch goddess teachers you hated so much in school, but who forced you to knuckle down and learn.

I won't get better unless a cure is found. I don't mourn my condition nor seek sympathy. My illness has led me into deeper recesses of meaning and compassion, though it isn't always readily apparent. I have to be grateful for that, though I won't be sending 'teacher,' a fruit basket and thank you card anytime soon!
    Autum W--I certainly don't agree with that A.C.I.M. post.
    My heart goes out to you and I hope that, though you are making the best of it, a cure is found soon.

Best wishes
    Chris

Ps on re reading the quote I agree with the last part
    Quote "But I am not a body. And my mind cannot attack. So I can not be sick.[/QUOTE]

What you truly are is not affected so that is not ill--the body certainly is though.
    Last edited by greybeard; 23rd October 2016 at 20:10.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), AutumnW (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016)

37. Link to Post #99
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Emex, no apologies necessary, regardless! It is an excellent choice of quotes, in any case! Very thought provoking!!

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

animovado (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), Rich (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

39. Link to Post #100
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks Greybeard,

I am open to whatever happens. If I can be cured...cool. If I can't, well bummer...but cool! If I was in extreme pain I wouldn't be singing the same tune. My heart goes out to those who have intractable pain. When I compare myself to others, that's what I do. I compare myself to people in unrelenting mental or physical and even financial extremes of pain or people in war torn countries. So I usually feel confined but lucky. Kind of Pollyanna zen

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Akasha (23rd October 2016), animovado (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), DNA (23rd October 2016), greybeard (23rd October 2016), RunningDeer (23rd October 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast