+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amon Ra. Vegan Deadlift Champion. Eats One Rice + Beans meal per day...

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Amon Ra. Vegan Deadlift Champion. Eats One Rice + Beans meal per day...

He gets deep into longevity techniques from the 10 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR1FCJS8DoM

Here he is deadlifting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAWbwYzStU

One of the most amazing videos I've watched all year. Markus Rothkranz, who conducted the interview, looks fairly chipper for 54 years.

BTW. I don't want to misrepresent him with that title. He knows a lot about herbs, but most of his diet is composed of simple, nutrient dense foods. His name is actually Amen Ra. Mods may change the thread title if they wish. Thanks.
    Last edited by Daozen; 21st October 2016 at 06:24.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), ElfeMya (22nd October 2016), Fairy Friend (22nd October 2016), Foxie Loxie (21st October 2016), GrnEggsNHam (21st October 2016), Joe (21st October 2016), kirolak (21st October 2016), neutronstar (21st October 2016), Pam (21st October 2016), ponda (21st October 2016), toppy (23rd November 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Default Re: Amon Ra. Vegan Deadlift Champion. Eats One Rice + Beans meal per day...

Here is a different opinion.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), TargeT (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Amon Ra. Vegan Deadlift Champion. Eats One Rice + Beans meal per day...

Glad you found it interesting Joe. For the last 2-3 months I've mainly eat 1 meal a day. If the meal is big enough, and I exercise, I put on muscle.

Conk, thanks for sharing that debunker. I found him painful to watch for even 10 seconds. Lots of posturing and swearing. All I'll say is the proof's in the pudding. Amen Ra is the world deadlift champion. Readers can watch the vid to see if they like him. Each to their own.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

ElfeMya (22nd October 2016), kirolak (22nd October 2016), neutronstar (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Here is a different opinion.
    There is always someone who will stand up and say BS. All I have to say to this guy is if you want to challenge his claims. Try his diet for a few months and see what happens or shut the f**K up. I have no time for these so called debunkers. All they want to do is backup there own belief. Like Daozen said the proof is in the pudding.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

ElfeMya (22nd October 2016), kirolak (22nd October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    For the last 2-3 months I've mainly eat 1 meal a day.
    Been doing that for 2 years now

I've definitely lost muscle. but I attribute that mostly to injuries that have disrupted my normal routine.

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I found him painful to watch for even 10 seconds. Lots of posturing and swearing. All I'll say is the proof's in the pudding. Amen Ra is the world deadlift champion. Readers can watch the vid to see if they like him. Each to their own.
    By 15 seconds all he had said was "hey everyone it's XXX XXXX, and welcome to a new episode, during my last few live Q&A's I've been asked time and time again... (that will take you to 24 seconds)

At 45 seconds he says "the papers he used for his arguments had jack **** to do with his points, or actually contradicted his points."

at 1:53 he said "no **** right?"

I think we've just identified a strong bias on your part, this is very limiting..... I completely disagree with your statements on this "debunker" and found his argument well articulated and "very human" with his moderate use of explicatives (words I hear every day).

Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    I have no time for these so called debunkers. All they want to do is backup there own belief. Like Daozen said the proof is in the pudding.
    how is that any different than (the ultra pretentious) Amon Ra?
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st October 2016 at 19:07.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), Daozen (22nd October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

how is that any different than (the ultra pretentious) Amon Ra?
    With a lot of information sometimes you have to hear both sides and then just see what seems right to you, but with this subject it is very simple. All you have to do is try the diet for yourself and see what happens.

I haven't tried this diet so I can't speak to whether he is right or not, but I won't debunk his claims without trying it. He brings up all these scientific claims from other people that says this guy is wrong. One thing we know from history is science gets things wrong all the time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), Daozen (22nd October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I will also say that the guy in the debunking video says that you can't possibly gain muscle on such a low calorie diet, maybe or maybe not. When you fast you greatly lower your metabolism so you use far less calories. Sumo westlers use this technique. They only eat at night, right before sleep, and they can gain enormous weight. They also eat a lot in that one meal, but still, it is only one meal.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

I really don't know one way or the other and have no dog in the fight that's sprung up from Cory (Conk's debunk vid'). I like Cory and have been subbed to him for years although I'm not body-building or weight training, but is he taking into consideration the pre-meal supplement which Amen Ra mentions in the video? One of its main components, Spirulina is extremely nutrient dense, 100g having 114% RDA of protein while only containing 290 calories (RDA I would assume would be for the average person) so could this not significantly tip the scales in terms of required calories for the results Ra claims to be getting?

Yours sincerely,

Devil's Advocate
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Daozen (22nd October 2016), kirolak (22nd October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    I really don't know one way or the other and have no dog in the fight that's sprung up from Cory (Conk's debunk vid'). I like Cory and have been subbed to him for years although I'm not body-building or weight training, but is he taking into consideration the pre-meal supplement which Amen Ra mentions in the video? One of its main components, Spirulina is extremely nutrient dense, 100g having 114% RDA of protein while only containing 290 calories (RDA I would assume would be for the average person) so could this not significantly tip the scales in terms of required calories for the results Ra claims to be getting?

Yours sincerely,

Devil's Advocate
    I don't know either of them and also don't really have a dog in the fight as you say. I have no intention of trying this diet. I hate fasting so I won't try to disprove his claims.

But to your question, what I get from him is, it is a lot of things. His fasting, cardio during the day, meditation, weight training at night, and then a very specific meal at the end of the day. Not just eating once a day.

18. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Anyone say "Roids?"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

TargeT (21st October 2016)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Anyone say "Roids?"
    Actually no.

American Drug-Free Powerlifting Federation is the competition he set the record at. They have testing.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), Ernie Nemeth (21st October 2016), TargeT (21st October 2016)

22. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

When you fast you greatly lower your metabolism so you use far less calories.
    Studies show that as long as you’re eating at enough, keeping your deficit at a level that your fat stores can cover, your metabolic rate doesn’t change too much. If you do go over that deficit, though, your metabolic rate will severely drop in order to protect vital organs (this is a real “starvation mode” response from your body).

eating once a day isn't fasting.. maybe it could be considered "periodic" fasting.. but you aren't changing your metabolism much (the average person) Amen Ra is probably hitting starvation VERY quickly and shutting down his metabolism due to his lower body fat percentage.

For me, I doubt my metabolism ever slows.

Hell Amen Ra is probably further slowing his metabolism through exersize as other studies show that if you do aerobic exercise for more than 1 hour a day, your metabolic rate can drop by as much as 15%.

But regardless of all that, you cannot use a "one size fits all" approach like Amen Ra does.. he's one of those freaks of nature that can survive off his diet and retain muscle mass... very very few people are like that.

They have testing.
    Any time you hear "test" just put "intelligence" in front of it..

VERY easy to dodge a drug test for anyone with three brain cells to rub together.

Not that there's anything wrong with it if he did (or didn't) I think testosterone is a very very beneficial "drug" (hormone) to take.. it's amazing for men, improves so many things.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (21st October 2016), Ernie Nemeth (21st October 2016), Foxie Loxie (21st October 2016), neutronstar (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    When you fast you greatly lower your metabolism so you use far less calories.
    Studies show that as long as you’re eating at enough, keeping your deficit at a level that your fat stores can cover, your metabolic rate doesn’t change too much. If you do go over that deficit, though, your metabolic rate will severely drop in order to protect vital organs (this is a real “starvation mode” response from your body).

eating once a day isn't fasting.. maybe it could be considered "periodic" fasting.. but you aren't changing your metabolism much (the average person) Amen Ra is probably hitting starvation VERY quickly and shutting down his metabolism due to his lower body fat percentage.

For me, I doubt my metabolism ever slows.

Hell Amen Ra is probably further slowing his metabolism through exersize as other studies show that if you do aerobic exercise for more than 1 hour a day, your metabolic rate can drop by as much as 15%.

But regardless of all that, you cannot use a "one size fits all" approach like Amen Ra does.. he's one of those freaks of nature that can survive off his diet and retain muscle mass... very very few people are like that.

They have testing.
    Any time you hear "test" just put "intelligence" in front of it..

VERY easy to dodge a drug test for anyone with three brain cells to rub together.

Not that there's anything wrong with it if he did (or didn't) I think testosterone is a very very beneficial "drug" (hormone) to take.. it's amazing for men, improves so many things.

I would also add that we think to much of the physical side of reality and don't take into account of the mental side.

As for the testing, ya you can beat any test and that wasn't the best response. What I should have said is when you join those natural competitions it is made up of people who are anti drug. If you want to take steroids you don't hang with people who are anti steroids. You can tell when someone is taking steroids, you don't need to test. They would weed him out pretty quickly.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

kirolak (22nd October 2016), TargeT (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

26. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

I have a very high metabolic rate. But my weight is rock steady for over 40 years now. Six pack over a rack of bones, that's me. Just enough muscle to outperform almost all my peers, not enough to slow me down - or to lift weights.

Even with my slight frame I am far stronger than most. Deceivingly so, as a few have found out the hard way. I can do countless sit ups and chin pull ups but can only manage a dozen push ups. But I can still, pushing sixty, do a straight arm on the rings with legs at 90%.

I have tried to put on muscle mass in the past but I cannot, not even a single extra pound. I can define my muscles but not increase them. Never was too worried about such things, though. It's only a body - it responds to my will as I will it. Best body I've ever had.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

kirolak (22nd October 2016), neutronstar (21st October 2016), TargeT (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I can define my muscles but not increase them. Never was too worried about such things, though. It's only a body - it responds to my will as I will it. Best body I've ever had.
    I gain muscle mass just looking at weights, then I gain fat by looking at sugar... haha

I couldn't do an Iron cross (or even hold myself at any angle with arms extended) to save my life, but I can do about 80 pushups in 2 min or less (PT test, every year...).. but then I probably weigh a bit more than you do.. I have a medium "viking" frame 5'11" @ 215, which after breaking my knee is a lot more fat than muscle.. though I"ve held the same number on the scale... haha.

Give and take.. eh?

You can tell when someone is taking steroids, you don't need to test.

Maybe with some people, I knew quite a few people that did steroids on the North Slope (nothing else todo up there... haha) and the only way I could tell was that they'd go away looking normal, and come back looking "like" Amen Ra... haha
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st October 2016 at 22:33.
    Where are you?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

neutronstar (21st October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Maybe with some people, I knew quite a few people that did steroids on the North Slope (nothing else todo up there... haha) and the only way I could tell was that they'd go away looking normal, and come back looking "like" Amen Ra... haha
    That's exactly my point, you didn't test them, but you figured it out. So would they. When you are in a sport, a community of like minded people so to speak. They would notice little things that most people don't. He really isn't that big either and certainly not lifting really large amounts of weight for powerlifters. The world record is over 1000 lbs non straps.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to neutronstar For This Post:

toppy (20th January 2017)

32. Link to Post #17
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

I think we've just identified a strong bias on your part, this is very limiting.....
    I indeed have a strong bias against buffoons. If someone wants to debunk, do it... Military types swear a lot. But the guy was trying to come off edgy. I clicked on a random part of the vid and saw him f-ing and blinding.

I know from my own experience that one meal a day plus exercise will help me put on muscle. The current consensus is against grains, but I always found I thrived on red rice and steamed veg.

Iron Cross, never heard of that, sounds like an exercise I could do.

Interesting points, everyone.

Now I will duck out before this thread turns into a bro-science train-wreck.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

kirolak (22nd October 2016), toppy (20th January 2017)

+ Reply to Thread