+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HyperNormalisation - the latest (2016) film by Adam Curtis

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,437 times in 8,340 posts

Default HyperNormalisation - the latest (2016) film by Adam Curtis

Adam Curtis

Quote We live in a time of great uncertainty and confusion. Events keep happening that seem inexplicable and out of control. Donald Trump, Brexit, the War in Syria, the endless migrant crisis, random bomb attacks. And those who are supposed to be in power are paralysed - they have no idea what to do.
    This film is the epic story of how we got to this strange place. It explains not only why these chaotic events are happening - but also why we, and our politicians, cannot understand them.
    It shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us we accept it as normal.
    But there is another world outside. Forces that politicians tried to forget and bury forty years ago - that then festered and mutated - but which are now turning on us with a vengeful fury. Piercing though the wall of our fake world.
    I'm surprised to now find this film on Youtube. It might not be up for long, so grab it fast:

This version is 4 minutes longer, so there might be a chunk missing from the first one:

Last edited by norman; 22nd October 2016 at 23:26.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

7alon (23rd October 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd October 2016), Cara (24th October 2016), conk (24th October 2016), Fellow Aspirant (23rd October 2016), guyres (24th October 2016), jjjones (23rd October 2016), leavesoftrees (23rd October 2016), lucidity (23rd October 2016), Sena (26th April 2017), shadowstalker (22nd October 2016), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), TraineeHuman (23rd October 2016), Woody (23rd October 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 times in 524 posts

Default Re: HyperNormalisation - the latest (2016) film by Adam Curtis

Excellent, I've watched literally 30 seconds and I can feel this is gonna be a good one already. Thanks!!!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7alon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), jjjones (23rd October 2016), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), Woody (23rd October 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 7alon (here)
    Excellent, I've watched literally 30 seconds and I can feel this is gonna be a good one already. Thanks!!!
    It's certainly a worthwhile watch/listen, but, I'll warn you that there are parts that will make you want to strangle the man. There are some very misguided or ill-informed or downright devious bits that spoil it for me. I can't decide if Curtis is trying hard from a long way back, or is actually playing for the wrong side. An example is... errr... well, I won't spoil it for you. wait till you get there.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd October 2016), Fellow Aspirant (23rd October 2016), jjjones (23rd October 2016), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), Woody (23rd October 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

His films of late are nothing like his first ones IMHO........this one felt somewhat propagandist to me and although a few good points were presented most of it was not !!

Welcome to the MSM/BBC
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th October 2016), genevieve (23rd October 2016), norman (23rd October 2016), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), Woody (23rd October 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Those 2 versions are now removed. This is another version but it has cuts in it:

I agree with Sandy that it's basically propaganda ( for system academics ) but it's worth watching just to see how it works.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th October 2016), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), Woody (27th October 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

I'd just like to remind or inform everyone that this is actually a BBC production...

Propoganda.

12. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,332 times in 1,632 posts

I watched it yesterday. I was not crazy about the fact that BBC was behind it, and there were segments that turned me off too. But I think the film offered some insight on how our collective consciousness works. One of the best points for me was this idea that it is difficult for the masses to change reality because we cannot envision, as a collective, what a new reality would look like, so we have to go along with it, which perpetuates the false reality. Those who control this reality, the perception management masters, obviously have no reality-envisioning problems. The segment about the Internet/cyber space was interesting as well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

MorningFox (26th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member abmqa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Those 2 versions are now removed. This is another version but it has cuts in it:

I agree with Sandy that it's basically propaganda ( for system academics ) but it's worth watching just to see how it works.
    Those versions are now removed from YouTube.

This linked is working as of 7:05 est.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM
    Last edited by abmqa; 26th April 2017 at 00:21.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abmqa For This Post:

Noelle (25th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by abmqa (here)
    Quote Posted by norman (here)

Those versions are now removed from YouTube.

This linked is working as of 7:05 est.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM
    I found one on YouTube but it could have had cuts.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

abmqa (26th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

18. Link to Post #10
    Sri Lanka Avalon Member
    Thanks

This version is working today:

https://youtu.be/-fny99f8amM

Interesting commentary in a Guardian article dated 9th Oct. 2016:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...rnormalisation

Quote The global technology companies not only feed a mirror of our obsessions back to us, but increasingly try to normalise our behaviour – collecting data about our health and our habits and selling us a fixed idea of who we should be and what we should like (“if you liked that, you will like this”). The irony of this feedback is that it is fuels prejudice and is fuelled by anger. The more angry users are, the more extreme their emotional states, the more they click, and the more money rolls into Twitter and Facebook and the rest.

Trump is presented in the film as emblematic of this culture, certainly, but how exactly?

“My take on Trump is that he is an inevitable creation of this unreal normal world,” Curtis says. “Politics has become a pantomime or vaudeville in that it creates waves of anger rather than argument. Maybe people like Trump are successful simply because they fuel that anger, in the echo chambers of the internet.”

If Hillary Clinton gets elected next month, Curtis suggests, then the vaudeville will have played its role – the anger will have been expressed and changed nothing.

But what if Trump wins? “It means the pantomime has become reality and starts rampaging around. And then we are ****ed.”
    Last edited by Sena; 26th April 2017 at 06:39.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sena For This Post:

Noelle (26th April 2017)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sena (here)
    This version is working today:

https://youtu.be/-fny99f8amM

Interesting commentary in a Guardian article dated 9th Oct. 2016:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...rnormalisation

Quote The global technology companies not only feed a mirror of our obsessions back to us, but increasingly try to normalise our behaviour – collecting data about our health and our habits and selling us a fixed idea of who we should be and what we should like (“if you liked that, you will like this”). The irony of this feedback is that it is fuels prejudice and is fuelled by anger. The more angry users are, the more extreme their emotional states, the more they click, and the more money rolls into Twitter and Facebook and the rest.

Trump is presented in the film as emblematic of this culture, certainly, but how exactly?

“My take on Trump is that he is an inevitable creation of this unreal normal world,” Curtis says. “Politics has become a pantomime or vaudeville in that it creates waves of anger rather than argument. Maybe people like Trump are successful simply because they fuel that anger, in the echo chambers of the internet.”

If Hillary Clinton gets elected next month, Curtis suggests, then the vaudeville will have played its role – the anger will have been expressed and changed nothing.

But what if Trump wins? “It means the pantomime has become reality and starts rampaging around. And then we are ****ed.”
    I was suspicious of Trump's role in the film. It's not that I think how the film portrays him is false; I am just raising my eyebrows at the timing of the film's release (in the midst of the US presidential election season, in which Trump is running and stunning with his win in the primary).

+ Reply to Thread