+ Reply to Thread

Thread: West World Shoutout

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Default West World Shoutout

Since the good members of this forum are very interested and very knowledgeable about the quest for the nature of reality, I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the new (episode four just aired) television show, West World. Its production values are very high and the acting (hard to go wrong with Sir Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris) is first rate. What really captured me, though, was the plot. The writing is superb - some of the best on-screen work I've ever had the pleasure of following.

link to trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JctIuZfSsa4

plus, a very good "10 Things You Need to Know About WW" rundown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGt8zmXOIi0

As mentioned, the plot deals with a plethora of ideas and concepts that would serve as thread titles here: the ethics of human-android interaction, the singularity, multiple universes, reincarnation, alien abduction, the function and reality of dreams, consciousness, freedom of choice, Hopi Indian culture, the balance of good and evil, the possibility of our reality being a controlled and monitored environment wherein we are allowed to play games and, above all, the imperative to remember who and what you truly are.

There are a number of plot lines engaged already, but the common thread concerns the manner in which the android 'hosts' are beginning to have inklings of the artificiality of their existences. Despite their lives being "rebooted" every time one of them is 'murdered' by a human guest, some of them are having 'flashbacks' to previous existences and noticing 'glitches' in their matix, and are wondering if there isn't something 'more' than the mundane life paths they have been following. They are showing signs of waking up. Now what could be a more interesting storyline, especially in the hands of such talented writers?

Here's what the producers said in an interview with the press:

But one thing that remains constant is the question of where technology and reality intersect, and how that will influence humanity going forward. "We were fascinated by the tectonic plates that seem to be shifting into place right now – the argument over the creation of AI and what form it will take; VR finally coming online and our consciousness going “broadband,” allowing us to lose ourselves in an acid bath of experience that will be indistinguishable from reality," Jonathan Nolan told Entertainment Weekly, "and that, despite all of that, we remain, as a species, frustratingly broken, seemingly barreling towards disaster. So, yeah – that’s what we wanted the show to be about."

While the androids gone wild scenario of the original movie only explored the consequences and not the causes, that won't be the case with the TV series. "When it comes to the question of consciousness, we always start with ourselves as the answer," Mr. Nolan said. "But we wanted to challenge that assumption. The 'hosts' are discovering that they’ve been created in our image, but beginning to question if “humanness” is really what they want to aspire to. And given their circumstances, it’s easy to understand why they start to question whether they want to be like us at all."

Anthony Hopkins plays Ford (as in Brave New World Ford) the co-creator of West World and a man for whom the place is far more than an amusement park. Ed Harris plays a ruthless 'guest' who is on a quest to get to the centre of the labyrinth and discover the ultimate truth about the place.

This story is tailor-made for Avalonian interests, guaranteed to keep you thinking long after the screen has gone black. It's quite a ride!

Namaste,

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 24th October 2016 at 07:18.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Awakening2014 (24th October 2016), Bill Ryan (24th October 2016), Cara (25th October 2016), Cidersomerset (24th October 2016), DeDukshyn (24th October 2016), drneglector (24th October 2016), Eram (24th October 2016), Ewan (24th October 2016), Flowerpunkchip (25th October 2016), helencrump (24th October 2016), mojo (24th October 2016), Octavusprime (25th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016), RunningDeer (26th October 2016), sllim11 (7th November 2016), sommervr (24th October 2016), Star Tsar (24th October 2016), sunpaw (24th October 2016), uzn (24th October 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member helencrump's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: West World Shoutout

Brian, wow and thank you for this! I was dying to speak about his and my husband is not awake (ugh, I feel arrogant saying it like that) and would not understand what I was talking about if I tried to have this discussion with him about this show that he loves and watches with me every week.
    (warning: My one observation could be a spoiler)
    So great to see this post as I just finished the fourth episode and was wondering how I would begin this thread but here was your take on it and so beautifully written I might add. You really summed up everything I was thinking. I saw somewhere Bernard may be an android. I do not wish to turn this into a whole fan "Thing" but for OUR purposes, I'm thinking Bernard Is in a sense, a WHISTLEBLOWER. Do you agree?

It is a fantastic show. As I am watching though, I feel like I myself am glitching out. Can't put it into words but it definitely feels like the writers are trying to tell us something.

Crystal,

Temporary Quote: Laugh at everything!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to helencrump For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2016), DeDukshyn (25th October 2016), Eram (24th October 2016), Ewan (24th October 2016), Fellow Aspirant (24th October 2016), Flowerpunkchip (25th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

I have been tempted by this show, yes. Ed Harris is a really good actor. Hopkins? Superb. Thanks for the tip.

What is this recent infatuation with robots and AI? It's everywhere! Especially stories and articles about robot sex. Who in their sane mind would prefer a machine experience to that of a warm, responsive body?! Even stories about adopting robot babies. It's just crazy what's out there all of a sudden. My favorite band, The Red Hot Chili Peppers have a new song Mr. Robot. "I want to spank your silver skin". What the.....?
    Last edited by conk; 24th October 2016 at 16:54.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2016), DeDukshyn (24th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    I have been tempted by this show, yes. Ed Harris is a really good actor. Hopkins? Superb. Thanks for the tip.

What is this recent infatuation with robots and AI? It's everywhere! Especially stories and articles about robot sex. Who in their sane mind would prefer a machine experience to that of a warm, responsive body?! Even stories about adopting robot babies. It's just crazy what's out there all of a sudden. My favorite band, The Red Hot Chili Peppers have a new song Mr. Robot. "I want to spank your silver skin". What the.....?
    It's not new ... a re-do of a 1973 movie of the same name ... based on a book written by Michael Crichton ... That was before I was even born

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

In the new version, I wish the story would have been a bit different, and incorporating a virtual reality powered by brains of clones ... but I digress, just imagining how I would write a similar story

The "robots" in this version don't seem to be full robot - the seem to be made from biology - more like cyborgs of a sort - although the show doesn't get into those details, and likely for good reason as there are some logical fallacies related to this in the show.

I missed last night's (will catch up) but saw the first three, typical HBO awesomeness, but I can't help wishing it was all a little different - to follow better logic with better modern considerations. all in all, I am enjoying it so far.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 24th October 2016 at 23:12.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2016), Cidersomerset (24th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I am watching - and found it very interesting.

I didn't read about the plot before (and try still not to) - and maybe spoiler now:

I thought it was about 'time travel' (of which, or 'time related' also some TV series started: 'Zapped', 'Frequency', 'Timeless', and interestingly 'No tomorrow' and 'Aftermath' also regarding some 'end time scenario') and/or about the Mandela effect: right at the start of the first episode.
    Still spoiler: I also thought it has something about 'Clone' regarding 'switching' people (not only AI angle), and reading on the forum regarding MILab: the talking, 'creating', 'wiping talks' has something from the MKUltra angle. And having those 'used' as in hunted for instance: also topics not as 'fantasy' as it might seem..
    The 'levels of the game' also reminded me of '13th floor' so far.....

end spoiler...

Great show so far.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunpaw For This Post:

Cidersomerset (24th October 2016), Fellow Aspirant (25th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Excellent Show watched episode 4 earlier and some initial answers to the complex
    story lines are being revealed and hinted on, which inevitably lead to new
    questions.There is an interesting cross over with 'gods' and alien abduction if you
    interpret it that way.

Just finished After Buzz post show if interested but they do discuss and theorise so
    don't watch if you do not like to be spoiled....

Its a lot more high tech than the original as you would expect .....

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 24th October 2016 at 22:48.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th October 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Just watched episode 4 ... it's getting better yet ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th October 2016 at 04:55. Reason: added 'yet', to better reflect

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (25th October 2016), Flowerpunkchip (25th October 2016), Pam (26th October 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

" Brian, wow and thank you for this! I was dying to speak about his and my husband is not awake (ugh, I feel arrogant saying it like that) and would not understand what I was talking about if I tried to have this discussion with him about this show that he loves and watches with me every week.
    So great to see this post as I just finished the fourth episode and was wondering how I would begin this thread but here was your take on it and so beautifully written I might add. You really summed up everything I was thinking. I saw somewhere Bernard may be an android. I do not wish to turn this into a whole fan "Thing" but for OUR purposes, I'm thinking Bernard Is in a sense, a WHISTLEBLOWER. Do you agree?

It is a fantastic show. As I am watching though, I feel like I myself am glitching out. Can't put it into words but it definitely feels like the writers are trying to tell us something.

Crystal,

Temporary Quote: Laugh at everything! "

HaHaHa! - You're welcome Crystal!

I, too, was waiting for someone to start this thread. When it hadn't appeared by last night I couldn't stop myself!

My wife is also a fan (kinda) but she is, like your spouse, also not 'awake', so is unable to appreciate the multiple references and subtle layering of meaning. It's this kind of difference in viewers that really concerns me about whether this series will find enough of an audience to be viable in the long run. There's enough of a usual 'androids go apesh*t and kill their masters' plotline, though, and more than enough blood guts & nudity to capture the attention of the 'norms', so I'm optimistic. We'll see. Ideally, it will serve as a vehicle to wake some of these people up.

As for Bernard: the more I think of it, the more I'm thinking that he IS a 'droid'. If he is, he could be the product of Ford. As such, he is in a position to perform two functions for him: influence the operations of the programming and 'treatment' centre, and be the ultimate spy to keep Ford apprised of the policy decisions and politics within the organization. This way, Ford can be proactive in installing the upgrades into the droids and also be prepared to be reactive to moves against him by the corporation (oddly, it just occurred to me that the origin of the word 'corporation' lies in the idea of a 'physical body'. Make of that what you will.) Ford is free to roam the 'world' on his personal projects. Bernard as spy droid could also be the product, though, of the missing Arthur, and be performing the same function for him, rather than Ford.

The delicious thought that I'm entertaining these days is that the host droids are actually in a postion more like our own. That is, if one considers the possibility that our species was created by an alien presence that needed a slave species to do its bidding: we are just like the droids - kept ignorant by our programming and taught to believe that our quotidian existence is all there is - that we should not expect true happiness but only a frightened satisfaction if we manage to follow our fore-ordained paths. So, just as the sole reason for the existence of the hosts in West World is to serve the wanton depradations of the human 'guests', we humans are at the mercy of powerful beings who monitor and control our lives. (Although it hasn't yet been used in the script yet, I'm certain that the Shakespearean line: "We are as flies to wanton boys. They kill us for their sport" will eventually be spoken by Dolores' father. It just fits the theme too well. ) And just as some of the hosts are gaining inklings about this possible situation, (through noticing the anomalies in their lives that just should not exist), some of us are waking up to the truth about our own subjugation. And we have people like Bill Ryan to thank for that. Bill has personally told me "Remember who you are." I've been trying for a long time now! There is a multitude of leaders that give the same advice; besides Bill, one David Icke comes immediately to mind. So, the story of WW's host rebellion could be the story of humanity finally getting "off its knees" to coin a widely used term. Thanks David!

But this sort of speculation is a little further down the road from the more obvious impending doom that WW is confronting us with, the singularity. The reason that there is so much attention in our pop culture now about this possiblity is that a) it's cool and b) so many prominent tech and philosophical leaders are speaking out about it. Googling "warning about AI' will yield millions of links, most notably from Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk. TED talks are full of it, too. It is an existential threat, but one mostly ignored by the sleeping masses for reasons we are all very aware of. Maybe WW will be able to play a small role in helping us to start useful discussions about our AI problem.

I look forward to discussing the issues that this show is playing with, and the brilliant manner in which it is written. I could run a whole thread on the use of Shakespearean quotations, for example. Ford, although sharing the same name as the God/creator figure in 'Brave New World', is, in my mind, more beholden to Prospero, the powerful wizard in 'The Tempest'. And Dolores (Cannon?) suits the role of Prospero's daughter, Miranda. Meanwhile the bad guy (black hat) leader of the pair of humans who now have control of Miranda, his name is Logan, which brings to mind the protaganist runaway in another 70s era sci-fi film, 'Logan's Run'.

Whew! I'd better stop now. This kind of reference recognition can keep a guy up way too late!

Namaste for now,

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 25th October 2016 at 04:29.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    It's not new ... a re-do of a 1973 movie of the same name ...
    I wasn't referring to the show, but the glut of stories in the news about robots in general. All over the place suddenly and especially about virtual sex and robot love.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

18. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    It's not new ... a re-do of a 1973 movie of the same name ...
    I wasn't referring to the show, but the glut of stories in the news about robots in general. All over the place suddenly and especially about virtual sex and robot love.
    Yup, it's there (and in the show to an extent) .. but I wonder if it's not just that those elements have always been in sci-fi, but now the interest of Sci-fi in the masses has grown (which by my observation have grown enormously; all the "Trekkies", star wars fans, and comic lovers now have children of their own and have passed some of that culture on) and thus the level of content of those things has increased as a correlation, the media industry still works mostly based on demand (money still drives most industry), although that is shifting as we speak.

A massive increase in sci-fi related entertainment seems to have happened in the last 10 years ... I attribute that again to culture as indicated above and to the availability of ease and affordability of sci-fi special effects via CGI, allows for a great range of imagination to be effectively put to the screen; this simply was not the case 15 years ago.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th October 2016 at 19:36.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

conk (26th October 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Quote Posted by Fellow Aspirant (here)

" Brian, wow and thank you for this! I was dying to speak about his and my husband is not awake (ugh, I feel arrogant saying it like that) and would not understand what I was talking about if I tried to have this discussion with him about this show that he loves and watches with me every week.

Crystal,

Temporary Quote: Laugh at everything! "

HaHaHa! - You're welcome Crystal!

I, too, was waiting for someone to start this thread. When it hadn't appeared by last night I couldn't stop myself!

My wife is also a fan (kinda) but she is, like your spouse, also not 'awake', so is unable to appreciate the multiple references and subtle layering of meaning. It's this kind of difference in viewers that really concerns me about whether this series will find enough of an audience to be viable in the long run. There's enough of a usual 'androids go apesh*t and kill their masters' plotline, though, and more than enough blood guts & nudity to capture the attention of the 'norms', so I'm optimistic. We'll see. Ideally, it will serve as a vehicle to wake some of these people up.

As for Bernard: the more I think of it, the more I'm thinking that he IS a 'droid'. If he is, he could be the product of Ford. As such, he is in a position to perform two functions for him: influence the operations of the programming and 'treatment' centre, and be the ultimate spy to keep Ford apprised of the policy decisions and politics within the organization. This way, Ford can be proactive in installing the upgrades into the droids and also be prepared to be reactive to moves against him by the corporation (oddly, it just occurred to me that the origin of the word 'corporation' lies in the idea of a 'physical body'. Make of that what you will.) Ford is free to roam the 'world' on his personal projects. Bernard as spy droid could also be the product, though, of the missing Arthur, and be performing the same function for him, rather than Ford.

The delicious thought that I'm entertaining these days is that the host droids are actually in a postion more like our own. That is, if one considers the possibility that our species was created by an alien presence that needed a slave species to do its bidding: we are just like the droids - kept ignorant by our programming and taught to believe that our quotidian existence is all there is - that we should not expect true happiness but only a frightened satisfaction if we manage to follow our fore-ordained paths. So, just as the sole reason for the existence of the hosts in West World is to serve the wanton depradations of the human 'guests', we humans are at the mercy of powerful beings who monitor and control our lives. (Although it hasn't yet been used in the script yet, I'm certain that the Shakespearean line: "We are as flies to wanton boys. They kill us for their sport" will eventually be spoken by Dolores' father. It just fits the theme too well. ) And just as some of the hosts are gaining inklings about this possible situation, (through noticing the anomalies in their lives that just should not exist), some of us are waking up to the truth about our own subjugation. And we have people like Bill Ryan to thank for that. Bill has personally told me "Remember who you are." I've been trying for a long time now! There is a multitude of leaders that give the same advice; besides Bill, one David Icke comes immediately to mind. So, the story of WW's host rebellion could be the story of humanity finally getting "off its knees" to coin a widely used term. Thanks David!

But this sort of speculation is a little further down the road from the more obvious impending doom that WW is confronting us with, the singularity. The reason that there is so much attention in our pop culture now about this possiblity is that a) it's cool and b) so many prominent tech and philosophical leaders are speaking out about it. Googling "warning about AI' will yield millions of links, most notably from Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk. TED talks are full of it, too. It is an existential threat, but one mostly ignored by the sleeping masses for reasons we are all very aware of. Maybe WW will be able to play a small role in helping us to start useful discussions about our AI problem.

I look forward to discussing the issues that this show is playing with, and the brilliant manner in which it is written. I could run a whole thread on the use of Shakespearean quotations, for example. Ford, although sharing the same name as the God/creator figure in 'Brave New World', is, in my mind, more beholden to Prospero, the powerful wizard in 'The Tempest'. And Dolores (Cannon?) suits the role of Prospero's daughter, Miranda. Meanwhile the bad guy (black hat) leader of the pair of humans who now have control of Miranda, his name is Logan, which brings to mind the protaganist runaway in another 70s era sci-fi film, 'Logan's Run'.

Whew! I'd better stop now. This kind of reference recognition can keep a guy up way too late!

Namaste for now,

Brian

I just caught the first two episodes. And Your observations are what I was also thinking. I am sure they are going for layering in many levels of the story line. I love the look of the show but the violence I can't watch much violence now days. The similar story line us and our Gods, them and their androids It's just so interesting. It is a really good show and I don't watch much TV cuz most of it is Zombie trash, walking dead, sexy vampires, robot love is cool (you don't even have to have any feelings towards them and when done, just disconnect, how cool is that!) military bloody battles with space aliens, and any movie with Tom Cruise in it is out, I am so over all that.
    I just saw Mr. Robot and the first two episodes really did blow me away.
    I don't have cable to if you guys continue just give a spoiler alert so I can decide to read on or not.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 25th October 2016 at 22:00.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (26th October 2016)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Fellow Aspirant, I just love your OP. You have covered so many of the potential themes, ideas and concepts. I am also just blown away by this series. I almost never watch fictional series but this one has mesmerized because of the possibilities. This might sound totally crazy, but I keep getting this feeling of trying to down load something from this..something more then the already profound concepts they grapple with..... I don't know, maybe I'm finally going over the edge, but there is something really, really profound here and I want to know what it is...yet.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (26th October 2016)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

One one of the sites I subscribe to just put this into my mailbox. It seems to reflect the zeitgeist (as does WW!) of which we are now a part. This could be used as a call to arms for the 'hosts' of WW ...

Taking responsibility for our lives involves breaking out of this robotic existence and taking responsibility for Life as a whole; for the evolution of our societies into something vastly more meaningful, creative and joyous than the moribund system we have today.

We do not live on a two-dimensional flat Earth. That theory was dispelled around six hundred years ago, in spite of stiff resistance from the church. We live on a spherical planet and in a spherical universe – in which everything that goes out, comes back, eventually.

So it is with our actions. According to the laws of physics, every action provokes an equal and opposite reaction, which means we get to pay the price for ours; no escape. That’s the brutal truth. The straight line to heaven – and that’s an end to it – is a con trick, perpetuated by doctrinaire and dogmatic teachings whose origins lie with Illuminati plans for a resistance-free global take-over.

The last thing which the ruling cabal wants is people taking responsibility for their lives, because that would mean an end to control system’s dominance and people’s acceptance of the slavery it demands.

Yet the reinstatement of a way of living in which aware, responsible citizens of planet Earth take control of their destinies and of the destiny of the planet itself, is exactly where we are being instructed to go. Not by Big Brother, but by Divine empowerment and the indomitable powers of truth.

Never allow the fake façade of superimposed uniformity fool you into sleep walking your way down the road to Armageddon. Find that warrior hiding in your subconscious – and bring him/her out into the open. Get behind the benevolent spirits and ditch the malevolent intruders. Shift yourself from slave to shaman. Do it today!

By Julian Rose

Julian Rose is an early pioneer of UK organic farming, a writer and international activist. His acclaimed book ‘In Defense of Life’ is available at www.amazon.com and direct from the author at www.julianrose.info

B.

Albert E.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Holly Lindin (12th November 2016)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

What if part of the human race is so caught up in 3D that they perceive the earth as a 2D object and for them, it is indeed flat? I am struggling with the point-of-view concept and even a little, the uncertainty principle which, I understand to some degree, but not how it impacts me.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (9th November 2016), Holly Lindin (12th November 2016)

+ Reply to Thread