+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How life changes by driving a 100 MPG car?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,113 times in 807 posts

Default How life changes by driving a 100 MPG car?

Hi,

I ride a small motorcycle that has 100 MPG mileage for personal transportation. In bad weather and winter it sucks but most of times I save a lot of money about 8 times I could spend for driving a car.

Why people have to spend hard earned money to drive a rubbish, fuel wasting cars? Because we haven't got choices yet. Average fuel cost per year I spend is less than $200 USD.

People around me call "You are an idiot."
    When I ask them why. They answer "Motorcycle is dangerous."
    I tell them. "Really? Do you know that each year at least 5,000+ people got killed by traffic accidents? We live in literally a war zone."

Anyway I heard aboud Elio few days ago by accident, spent good hours about it the car. Actually it's a modern version of Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion.

I believe in reducing the cost of living without degradation of living standard is key to build better society. Suppose general public have a affordable housing under $10,000 USD, a car under $5,000 USD, many workers will stop doing forced labor just for survival.

The government itself resists against this way of living. The corporations will force to adapt if they want to keep business in capitalistic economy.

Will Americans let it happen? I hope so.

For free society!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

BMJ (27th October 2016), countertheanimator (26th October 2016), joeecho (26th October 2016), Nasu (27th October 2016), toppy (27th October 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Default Re: How life changes by driving a 100 MPG car?

I think it's great there is a growing list of economical transportation options in the world.

Having said that, with the degree of inattentive drivers in my neck of the woods, I would rather be in a full size truck in an accident then with a Elio any day no matter how many air bags the Elio has.

I bet you if one could calculate total miles driven by all motorcycles and micro-car vs. all the rest of the vehicle on the road, the amount of deaths and serious life altering injuries would show clearly what the safest bet is on the road today is. Now if everything on the road was a motorcycle or micro car it would be a different story.

I wonder how the Elio would do in strong side wind conditions or heavy snow/ ice.

I am not advocating or dissing (I am also a motorcycle rider) anything here, just sharing an observation or two.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Default Re: How life changes by driving a 100 MPG car?

Here in France, Covoiturage (car sharing) is getting huge; you do an Internet search for poeople to take or someone to take you, and you have dedicated car parks all around every town and city. If you have four people in a 60 mpg car instead of using four cars, that's the equivalent of 240 miles per gallon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	covoiturage.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	34467
    Last edited by araucaria; 28th October 2016 at 19:06.

+ Reply to Thread