+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Avalon Member Studeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

About this talk
    Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_...f_insight.html
    Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest. So learn what you can learn. Do what you can do and never give up hope! Marshall's Motto. Peace to all.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Studeo For This Post:

cowens66 (26th January 2011), damian (15th December 2010), Dennis Leahy (26th January 2011), Flash (13th February 2011), Gekko (29th December 2012), Kindling (26th January 2011), Knowrainknowrainbows! (29th December 2012), ScubaMonkey (15th December 2010), witchy1 (27th January 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member damian's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

I watched this when it first came out and still watch it once in a while when I need to remember to be more right-brain in dealing with life.

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,585 times in 5,817 posts

Very moving talk. Inspirational. One of the very best at the TED site.

Dennis

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Star Tsar (29th December 2012)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Kindling's Avatar
    Thanks

I LOVE this video!! Thanks for posting it. I needed to watch it again! A few days ago someone posted a video of a housewife on LSD in the 60's. It reminded me of Jill Bolte's experience. I envy those who are spiritually advanced enough to experience this oneness (without having a stroke or LSD - wouldn't want to experience it *that* way - lol).

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member cowens66's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks Studeo,

I loved this so much when I first saw it that I bought her book.

It was even more wonderful than the video presentation.

I'm going to watch it again now.

8. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,585 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Kindling (here)
    I LOVE this video!! Thanks for posting it. I needed to watch it again! A few days ago someone posted a video of a housewife on LSD in the 60's. It reminded me of Jill Bolte's experience. I envy those who are spiritually advanced enough to experience this oneness (without having a stroke or LSD - wouldn't want to experience it *that* way - lol).
    Yeah, Kindling, that LSD thread was my reminder too, and I decided to be a good Avalon citizen and search and see if it had already been posted before posting it again (it is already here at least 3 times.)

So, I just watched it again, and once again, was mesmerized, moved, and inspired, laughed and cried, tears streaming down my cheeks, with the incredibly articulate presentation of this experience by Jill Bolte Taylor.

What a gift this presentation is.

Dennis

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Kindling (27th January 2011), write4change (26th January 2011)

10. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member write4change's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 times in 628 posts

I would like to thank everyone for this thread. I have never seen this before. It gave me such understanding of so many things, as well as, my own process.

On August 1, 200l, I was kicked in the face by a horse and woke up in the ER with no memory of anything, including who I was. I was 58 and without family or heirs. Thus, my life was determined to be effectively over. I was treated only palitively. In the next two years, I lost a 1.5 million dollar property and all my assets.

Gradually, I came to my senses. What really helps me with this from this film clip is that it took her 8 years with her being younger and highly treated. I find that on a daily basis I recover more. Seeing this I realize that a part of me has remained highly resentful about the way I was treated but now I see it probably did not matter. And that like Jill, it was an experience that while difficult is cherished.

One of things I learned was patience and compassion on a whole different level. For me when I had none. Thus, I had no genuinefor anyone else because you never really give what you do not have.I have no idea what this will look like. I was rehabbed on windows 3.1 and I do not understand a lot of this stuff on this site.

I also knew that I tended to be an intellectual snob and I consciously worked to tone it down but it was there. My gift in many ways was that I always tested out in the top 1%. Thus, when I lost 20% I still had 80% to function with. No one knows but me how much I lost and how much I gained. Because I know no one who really interacted with me prior to all this.

What I can say is that 2008 began a time of a syncronicity of miracles. Finding this site feels like coming home. I expect and can feel more miracles happening.

One of the things I noticed is that LA was almost completely out of water. We were not predicted to receive a lot of rain. Yet, in December we got 13 days of continual slow small dropping rain that filled everything up and took nothing down. A gift of time to think and to do. Maybe from prayer and maybe for more prayer.

Again my deep appreciation for this thread and this clip. I will remember it and cherish it.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to write4change For This Post:

Carmen (29th December 2012), gooty64 (29th December 2012), Knowrainknowrainbows! (29th December 2012), seko (29th December 2012), sigma6 (29th December 2012), witchy1 (27th January 2011)

12. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Kindling's Avatar
    Thanks

Fascinating, Write4change!! So glad the video was posted since you haven't seen it before. Thanks so much for sharing your story!

Dennis, I wondered if anyone else thought of Jill when they watched that LSD video - the way she talked about not being able to tell the difference between herself and everything else. Awesome :-).

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I was about to post the same video, as i came across this yesterday and it moved me from inside out

......."Check if already posted" is a useful feature......

bump for great video!

IDDQD

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Default Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor studied her own stroke as it happened -- and has become a powerful voice for brain recovery.

I do not know if this has ever been posted (Apologies if it has) , but this video i found is an astonishing insight not only into how the brain functions but also an insight (through Jill's own very detailed experiences) into what happens when our brains shut down and we leave our physical body. For me a MUST watch

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_...ml?fb_ref=talk
    One must have something to die for in order to have something to live for. Carlos Castaneda

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mescalitto For This Post:

Carmen (29th December 2012), DeDukshyn (29th December 2012)

16. Link to Post #11
    New Zealand Avalon Member Carmen's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,527 times in 1,560 posts

Yes it has, ages ago. But it's well worth re-Threading.

Have the tissues ready though!
    Last edited by Carmen; 29th December 2012 at 00:49.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carmen For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th December 2012), Knowrainknowrainbows! (29th December 2012), mescalitto (29th December 2012)

18. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

I have the Ted talks add-on for XBMC (my living room media center software) I'll check this one out later in my recliner

Thanks!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

19. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Can totally relate, her story reminds me of an experience I had after taking lysergic acid diethylamide. You can very clearly see how incredibly insecure people are. Everyone's feelings are completely transparent. You see the quiet desperation, and how it is sucking all their energy. It reminded me of a scared hamster or gerbil. You want to reach out and say "Hey you are surrounded by love and joy, just share this moment with me, feel this peace and joy. We can create it by simply choosing it" What people don't understand is that it creates something real that affects the real world around you. But they can't get outside of their limited experience.

And the experience is so breathtaking and beautiful and you can feel every muscle in your body. We should all have access to this experience.
    Last edited by sigma6; 29th December 2012 at 03:15.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Earth Angel (29th December 2012)

21. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member Knowrainknowrainbows!'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 times in 252 posts

I am soooo glad to see this thread revisited. I watched Dr. Taylor on "Oprah" show a couple years ago ... Inspirational. She has a brother diagnosed with schizophrenia and is an advocate for NAMI (National alliance on Mental Illness).

... A neuroanatomist who was very alert/aware and even intrigued as she was undergoing the "process" of a stroke. She shares the surreal and spiritual/etheral events and her contemplation of the experience. What credibility and "insight" indeed!

This is a must watch for all ... science-minded and/or spiritually intuitives alike!

KRKR

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Knowrainknowrainbows! For This Post:

seko (29th December 2012)

23. Link to Post #15
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

I desire the same world as Dr Jill Bolte Taylor and feel the same level of upset that it is not that way!
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Earth Angel (29th December 2012)

+ Reply to Thread