+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone used this, Xtra-PC?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Default Anyone used this, Xtra-PC?

Quote How $25 Can Instantly Make
    Your Old Computer Like New Again!

Make everything fast again with Xtra-PC: browsing the Internet, writing emails, watching videos, playing games, and more!

It’s the quickest, most affordable way to get a new computer - even works on computers with bad or missing hard drives!

https://www.xtra-pc.com/gu/special-o...d=xpc_discount

Sounds like it might help some?
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

joeecho (29th October 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,745 times in 32,946 posts

Default Re: Anyone used this, Xtra-PC?

Many web pages and reviews are actually subtle (or not-so-subtle!) marketing devices for XtraPC. So beware of an apparently 'objective' view that's just an agenda-driven sales pitch.

Basically, it's just a Linux OS that overrides whatever's there on your computer. And yes, sometimes it may well be faster, and/or help. Here's a Linux page that appears to be genuine:

https://linux.com/news/xtra-pc-distr...l-linux-old-pc

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

gord (29th October 2016), guayabal (29th October 2016), joeecho (29th October 2016), Sunny-side-up (29th October 2016), sunpaw (29th October 2016), ThePythonicCow (29th October 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,822 times in 21,553 posts

Default Re: Anyone used this, Xtra-PC?

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Basically, it's just a Linux OS that overrides whatever's there on your computer. And yes, sometimes it may well be faster, and/or help. Here's a Linux page that appears to be genuine:
    Yes - seems to be an Ubuntu based Linux, booting from the USB flash drive.

It doesn't seem to touch whatever Windows might be on your hard drive ... one comment I saw even mentioned that booting from this Xtra-PC USB flash drive would let you read old files from your Windows drive and copy them to the USB flash drive (to the extent that the flash drive had sufficient space.)

As an "open source" old codger for decades now, I am annoyed that "they" (the sellers of Xtra-PC) don't seem to acknowledge the GPL license, nor to openly comply with the terms of that license to provide source code. But they might actually comply with the GPL, in the delivered product, so that might not be a problem.

Booting most any old (or new) PC into Linux, from a USB flash drive, is something that has worked since whenever (early 2000's, I guess) PC hardware and BIOS were able to read and boot from USB drives.

I've got a USB flash drive that boots Linux within arms reach myself. My USB flash drive boots Manjaro-xfce-openrc, not Ubuntu. There are hundreds of possible Linux distributions that can do this. Ubuntu, that's on the Xtra-PC, is a good choice for this, and one of the most widely used Linux distributions.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Axman (30th October 2016), Bill Ryan (29th October 2016), DeDukshyn (29th October 2016), gord (29th October 2016), guayabal (29th October 2016), joeecho (29th October 2016), Lifebringer (30th October 2016), Sunny-side-up (29th October 2016)

+ Reply to Thread