Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

Default Re: The Sorry State of Popular Music

Good will out.
    I have great faith in the youth.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

3(C)+me (1st November 2016), BMJ (2nd November 2016), Ivanhoe (1st November 2016), joeecho (31st October 2016)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,093 times in 2,403 posts

The anger they're going to feel if they see through it all.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

3(C)+me (1st November 2016), BMJ (2nd November 2016), joeecho (31st October 2016), Verdilac (1st November 2016)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,202 times in 1,393 posts

Musical Stockholme syndrome - Stock, Aitkin and Waterman syndrome?

Loved the Zappa footage @7min's ish - rip.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

3(C)+me (1st November 2016), Baby Steps (1st November 2016), Ewan (31st October 2016), Verdilac (1st November 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 times in 279 posts

Coldplay is like the boring person's Radiohead.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enola For This Post:

3(C)+me (1st November 2016), blackdog (1st November 2016), Bluegreen (3rd November 2016), Holly Lindin (4th November 2016)

9. Link to Post #25
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Quote Posted by Sueanne47 (here)
    I didnt believe it when I saw an illuminati video on music that The Beach Boys had sold themselves to the devil..along with the Rolling Stones & the Beatles
    I find that the Beatles sold their souls to the devil somewhat hard to believe Sueanne.
    Cant say much about the others.

Chris
    Micheal Tsarion has some stuff on Paul and John of the Beatles. Just like U2 they did some great early work, got big and was probably made an offer they could not refuse, and they didn't. When I see Bono in congress spouting some crap about I can't remember what, that was then I knew and U2 will probably not make anymore great music, they don't have to but they will be rolled out when they are needed.
    But Edge will get his mansion in Malibu, his reward.
    But he probably had some headaches and sleepless nights before it was all over.

I do have Coldplay's early albums and they are quite good actually not lately it has just got sappy and when he joined Beyoncé well that was when I said I am done.
    I think connecting ColdPlay with Radiohead is like asking for trouble.
    They are similar in one way, they are both from England, that's it.

I actually like the first season of Mr Robot the lead guy does remind me of some people I have known. It gets a slow in the middle but some of the dialog is really great writing in my opinion.

However, having said all that, I can say I have been thrilled while watching certain concerts within the last five years. No props, dancers, flames coming out of the sky, usually it just some band coming out and playing great music that is created by the members not some record company exec that has an agenda.
    I can still be thrilled, for that I am grateful.

Just don't get me started on Jay-z and Co.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 1st November 2016 at 05:58.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

Ewan (1st November 2016), greybeard (1st November 2016), Verdilac (1st November 2016)

11. Link to Post #26
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Enola (here)
    Bingo. lol. Well said.

Once in a while I will hear one of their songs in a certain context and think it could be decent. Then I try to listen to it on my own, and I am quickly bored to the point that I change the song. It is good for music newcomers, I suppose, but there should be some balance out there with other great bands also getting recognition.

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 times in 241 posts

I don't think you would get coldplay writing or performing a song like this

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Verdilac For This Post:

Enola (1st November 2016)

14. Link to Post #28
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=cccme;1109810]
    I actually like the first season of Mr Robot the lead guy does remind me of some people I have known. It gets a slow in the middle but some of the dialog is really great writing in my opinion.
    I only watched the first four epidsoes and then stopped, so maybe it got better. I liked the first episode and a half. It's just all entertainment, though. They arent going to tell you to stop watching the show and start protesting corporations and the big banks out in the streets. They are going to try to keep you interested for as long as possible, and then their job is done. No great message will be transmitted. No art will be made. Part of me thinks they make shows like this to keep those who are semi-interested in conspiracy from looking any further. This will be enough for them. They'll see that other people are aware of the situation, so something is probably being done about it. They can continue with their daily lives without thinking much more about it.

All that being said, TV and movies have improved dramatically in some ways. I dont want to sound too negative. lol. There was a lot of crap back in the 80s, too, which was a great decade for movies, and some remakes have improved on the originals.

15. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

The subject: How to fight terrorism.
    Bono appeared in Washington on April 12th, where he told senators, “Don’t laugh. I think comedy should be deployed. It’s like, you speak violence, you speak their language. But you laugh at them, when they’re goose-stepping down the street, and it takes away their power. So, I’m suggesting that the Senate send in Amy Schumer, and Chris Rock, and Sacha Baron Cohen, thank you”

I kid you not.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 1st November 2016 at 01:10.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

Ewan (2nd November 2016), Verdilac (1st November 2016)

17. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=blackdog;1109816]
    Quote Posted by cccme (here)
    I only watched the first four epidsoes and then stopped, so maybe it got better. I liked the first episode and a half. It's just all entertainment, though. They arent going to tell you to stop watching the show and start protesting corporations and the big banks out in the streets. They are going to try to keep you interested for as long as possible, and then their job is done. No great message will be transmitted. No art will be made. Part of me thinks they make shows like this to keep those who are semi-interested in conspiracy from looking any further. This will be enough for them. They'll see that other people are aware of the situation, so something is probably being done about it. They can continue with their daily lives without thinking much more about it.

All that being said, TV and movies have improved dramatically in some ways. I dont want to sound too negative. lol. There was a lot of crap back in the 80s, too, which was a great decade for movies, and some remakes have improved on the originals.

I can see why you would say that, and they must start addressing this stuff because it is out their and they probably want to break into this Market of conspiracy and all the things the unemployed youth are mulling over. So they may want a piece of the pie.

There's a scene at close to the end of the season where he is came back to see his assigned shrink and his dialog is heartbreaking.

Let's see if all goes into some really weird unbelievable stuff with a lot of violence and action to keep people interested. I don't watch much Tv but I have to say the actor who plays the lead role is really good, I do love watching good actors at work.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 1st November 2016 at 01:18.

18. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,840 times in 1,861 posts

Wow,... Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Beatles, Moody Blues, CS&N, The Who, Beach Boys, Joni ... and I could go on.
    Good music, inventive. Experimental.
    Mostly based on a basic 3 chord structure with a bridge and a lead riff but somehow each song was inventive, even inspirational.
    New music today sucks for the most part,.. but then I'm an old fart and sorta set in my ways. LOL
    Last edited by Ivanhoe; 1st November 2016 at 16:41.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

TargeT (2nd November 2016)

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Verdilac (here)
    I don't think you would get coldplay writing or performing a song like this

My personal theory is that Thom Yorke is some kind of hybrid alien. But his soul seems very high level and he just comes across as very evolved. He's channeling some very high spiritual energies with his voice. Comparable with no one as a singer.

21. Link to Post #33
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thing is that bands had individual styles sounds in the 60s-70s
    You could tell who it was from the first few bars.
    Even though it was mainly three or four chords---the rhythmic paten was innovative.

Spencer Davis Group with young Stevie Winwood--The Kinks-The Hollies--the Beatles--all different and recognizable instantly
    Then there was Cream--a totally different, dynamic sound, built around the bass playing of Jack Bruce--he had a great singing style--not easy when playing the bass like that.

So where are we now?

Chris

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Ewan (2nd November 2016), Ivanhoe (2nd November 2016)

23. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Hmm, that guy is a bit intense. He looks like someone who's learned to look people straight in the eye when he's lying.
    Last edited by Enola; 1st November 2016 at 22:37.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enola For This Post:

Ewan (2nd November 2016)

25. Link to Post #35
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 899 posts

Led Zeppelin Stairway to heaven is laced with satanic backward messages, and satanic lyrics in the song. Shame, I love it :

The Eagles :

Fleetwood Mac :

The Beach Boys :

The Beatles & The Rolling Stones :

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

3(C)+me (3rd November 2016), BMJ (2nd November 2016)

27. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,827 times in 1,353 posts

I love "Stairway to Heaven", "Hotel California", "War Pigs" (Black Sabbath) and other great music from the late 60s thru early 70s. A very creative time! (Mozart is my favorite composer, btw)

Of course, some chrinos (christians in name only) would like you to believe it's all Satanic and so you should donate to their churche$. No thanks. I've already been labeled a "blasphemer" and "devil worshipper" by talking--yes, just talking--about the concept of past lives!

I've heard this crap for most of life as a musician. It is absolute chrino mind control BS. I have written songs that just came to me easily and much of what I have written took a lot of work back in seventies when I was recording my first album. So what!

And I am quite certain you could play many songs backwards and you would eventually find something that sounds somewhat like the word "satan". Oh, Puleeeeze. I was once approached by a programmed chrino in Aspen, Colorado while playing "Stairway to Heaven" in the town square. He said if I played it backwards it said something about satan, blah, blah, blah. I told him I played it forwards, not backwards. Well, I later listened to it backwards and it just sounds like noise to me. Go figger.

"Stairway to Heaven" is a very beautiful song about living in harmony with nature, greed of man, etc.

No one (including evil spirits) ever came to me or anybody else for that matter and said "Hey, we can make you rich and famous if you play satanic music". That is pure BS because you have to have the talent and artistic ability and poetic sensibilities to paint a picture with sound and lyrics and do it well enough that people actually want to listen to you. I can do it and have actually written my own stairway-to-heaven type of ballad about my own past lives. I guess I'm just evil. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha..... (he said with an evil laugh!)
    Last edited by TrumanCash; 2nd November 2016 at 03:07.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TrumanCash For This Post:

Baby Steps (2nd November 2016), Ewan (2nd November 2016), greybeard (2nd November 2016), Ivanhoe (2nd November 2016), Sueanne47 (2nd November 2016)

29. Link to Post #37
    England Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,327 times in 899 posts

I have the CD's of led zeppelin stairway to heaven, bon jovi, beach boys, and I love these songs...I dont want to throw them away! if TrumanCash says its okay...that's alright with me, I'm fed up with this devil crap.

I also love Mozart! especially this part : Mozart piano concerto No. 20 in D minor (starts at 14.23)

I also adore this one, 1812 Overture Leonard Bernstein :

Last edited by Sueanne47; 2nd November 2016 at 09:14.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sueanne47 For This Post:

3(C)+me (3rd November 2016), Baby Steps (2nd November 2016)

31. Link to Post #38
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Yes Sue
    people find what they look for.
    There was the expression "Reds under the bed"
    Charlie Chaplin for example was ostracized for being a communist---was he though?
    Each generation seems to have its own enemy that must be searched out and destroyed.
    The TPTB love that--fear keeps one controllable.
    They spread rumors without any real foundation to discredit that which is good.

Its what you personally get from the music that counts.
    Trust yourself --no one else--no one knows you better.

If you feel lifted after listening --thats good--if you feel low then thats not worth listening to.
    Those who have genuine talent, have no need of help from any source.

Its so easy to knock success.

I agree totally with TrumanCash

Chris

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

3(C)+me (3rd November 2016), Ewan (2nd November 2016), Sueanne47 (2nd November 2016)

33. Link to Post #39
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,728 times in 1,526 posts

We are Human, in a dualistic reality, our music and artistic expression inherently includes our dark side. Running away from it is unhealthy, better to integrate and move on. I am sure the Led Zep guys explored Crowley etc, it was probably just checking things out. They are not evil people. A creative imagination is a diverse spectrum. I wonder what the young think of this???

we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

Ewan (2nd November 2016), greybeard (2nd November 2016)

35. Link to Post #40
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Bono wins one of Glamour's 'Women of the Year' awards

The singer is predominantly being recognised for his work on the Poverty is Sexist campaign

Now he is a women.

Talk about gender confusion.

Oh I need some relief from all this heaviness.

I love the Kinks,
    that's the ticket

Feeling better.

Note: Anything even remotely connected to music is not off topic.
    Last edited by 3(C)+me; 3rd November 2016 at 20:55.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

greybeard (3rd November 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2