+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speech and Emotions, Something I heard but not Verified

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Speech and Emotions, Something I heard but not Verified

Is it true that it is only possible to emote, verbally, in one's birth tongue / language? For example, I grew up speaking Canadian English (really British English and people sometimes ask me if I am from Scotland and I do have a Scottish genome) so if I were to learn French really well and were speaking French and if I wanted to express anger verbally, I would have to do it in English because I would have little success doing it in French.

I would have put this in a sociology category but couldn't find one. I should put on my reading glasses.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

kirolak (13th November 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Default Re: Speech and Emotions, Something I heard but not Verified

Interesting.

I sometimes change languages in my thinking to get another angle on things.

The only reason I would revert to English to express myself would be because my vocabulary is ten times larger.

I can just as easily emote in either language, that's mostly physical expression and gestures, body language, no?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Gaia (13th November 2016), Gillian (13th November 2016), kirolak (13th November 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,488 times in 1,724 posts

English language is not as extensive as that, insofar as their lexicography is restricted as "take in, take out, take over, take away",whereas in the French language, a specific word for each gesture, action and anger.

Try this one :

Elle pâlit face à son incertitude et son état, alors ce faisant, son esprit et ses mots reflètent le trouble de sa personnalité jusqu'au-boutisme. Dans cette colère délétère où, les mots ne peuvent se traduire avec la seule pensée que l'anglais est la seule
    langue de la colère.

Now you can verify if it's anger or not No prejudice...
    Last edited by Gaia; 13th November 2016 at 02:42.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaia For This Post:

Gillian (13th November 2016), kirolak (13th November 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

i express emotions in 3 languages, sorry but this is the truth

However, lexically, all the languages can be very different from each other, French being a language of definitions, English of generalisations. In my views.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Gillian (13th November 2016), kirolak (13th November 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,292 times in 744 posts

I think, speak & dream in English, usually. . . but if someone were to drop a brick on my toe, I would revert to cursing in Spanish. The latin languages are better for expressing sudden, strong emotions, I feel! I sort of closed down my mother tongue (Spanish) after some very unpleasant experiences in the UK where I grew up.

But I find that hand gestures give one away, even today!

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I think, speak & dream in English, usually. . . but if someone were to drop a brick on my toe, I would revert to cursing in Spanish. The latin languages are better for expressing sudden, strong emotions, I feel! I sort of closed down my mother tongue (Spanish) after some very unpleasant experiences in the UK where I grew up.

PS Why do I always get a "wait 22 seconds before your next post" flag when I am only posting once?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Gillian (13th November 2016), ThePythonicCow (14th November 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by kirolak (here)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

PS Why do I always get a "wait 22 seconds before your next post" flag when I am only posting once?
    My guess is that you wanted to add a smilie after you posted.

If you use the “post quickly” button and decided to add in this case the smilie , it’s telling the software that you are adding another post.

Instead, click “Go Advanced”. That way you can review, edit and add without the 22 seconds delay or create a double post. To view your updated work, hit ”Preview Post”. You can do this as many times needed without delay or double-post or without the ¤=[Post Update]=¤ added.

Then hit "Submit Reply".

If you discover an error or want to re-edit, click "edit post".

Last edited by RunningDeer; 15th November 2016 at 06:13.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Gillian (13th November 2016), kirolak (13th November 2016), Shannon (13th November 2016), ThePythonicCow (14th November 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,292 times in 744 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

My guess is that you wanted to add a smilie after you posted.

If you use the “post quickly” button and decided to add in this case the smilie , it’s telling the software that you are adding another post.

Instead, click “Go Advanced”. That way you can review, edit and add without the 22 seconds delay or create a double post. To view your updated your work, hit ”Preview Post”. You can do this as many times needed without delay or double-post or without the ¤=[Post Update]=¤ added.

Then hit "Submit Reply".

If you discover an error or want to re-edit, click "edit post".

Thanks, I'll watch myself carefully from now on, but it just happened again with another short post, odd

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Gillian (13th November 2016), RunningDeer (13th November 2016), Shannon (13th November 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 times in 371 posts

Quote Posted by Gillian (here)
    Is it true that it is only possible to emote, verbally, in one's birth tongue / language? For example, I grew up speaking Canadian English (really British English and people sometimes ask me if I am from Scotland and I do have a Scottish genome) so if I were to learn French really well and were speaking French and if I wanted to express anger verbally, I would have to do it in English because I would have little success doing it in French.

I would have put this in a sociology category but couldn't find one. I should put on my reading glasses.
    I would think that it would be much easier in the language we know best. We create new words all the time (slang). Unless you pick up new languages very easily and know them extremely well, it would be easier in your native tongue.

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,854 times in 21,553 posts

Thanks, I'll watch myself carefully from now on, but it just happened again with another short post, odd
    We have a rare problem, that I see anyone encounter only perhaps once every few months, of something causing a single post to turn into two duplicate posts, in rapid fire, which triggers that 22 second warning. Perhaps you've discovered the magic incantation to make that happen more often. We, Ilie and myself, don't know what causes this rapid duplicate posting yet.

P.S. -- I see from the server log files that it seems you have indeed discovered the magic incantation. You seem to have hit the duplicate post problem three times today (almost a day ago now), and a couple more times a week ago. No one else has hit this problem, this month. Interesting (if only I knew what it meant.)
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 14th November 2016 at 05:22.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

RunningDeer (15th November 2016)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,716 times in 8,943 posts

Quote Posted by neutronstar (here)
    Quote Posted by Gillian (here)

I would think that it would be much easier in the language we know best. We create new words all the time (slang). Unless you pick up new languages very easily and know them extremely well, it would be easier in your native tongue.
    There is many totally bilingual people in Montreal (and no, I am not amongst them, I am more at ease in French), and we often all speak together switching back and forth from French to English, English to French, or someones speaks in English and is answered in French for example. Non Montrealers find it strange because they only understand part of the conversations.

We all swear in both languages, the Frenchies know the English body language is a bit more restrained and the English know we speak with our hands (like latin people) much more.

Yet, when it comes to emotions, we all express them equally in any of both languages. In fact, it is rather funny because sometimes a mix of both happens in the swearing category.

So yes, we will express in an easier fashion in the real mothertongue, however, it is just a question of habit. Otherwise emotions are as strong and show up as much in another language. However, the culture will make one a bit more restrictive in its expression: examples: it is not polite for Chinese to talk with their hand and show emotions, so they learn not to, and we would too if learning Chinese and adapting to that culture. Latin people speak with their hands a lot but in Turkey, it would be perceived as agressive so while learning the languages, we also learn about the body language and stop using our hands. English Canadians are a bit more restrictive in their body language usage (more subtle) than French Canadians and it will show in the communication we have in either language (I am a bit more restricted in English than in French). This is just cultural adaptation, not emoting less.

The emotion center (yes, just one) in the brain is quite distinct from the language centers (3 of them), they are not located at the same place. Emotion center when triggered will look for a release, wherever location you are born in, whatever language you are using. But their expressions will be culturally adapted and biaised.

The usual great emotions, fear, sadness, anger, joy, for example will all be expressed the same way throughout the world, anyone from anywhere can recognize these emotions in someone face from another culture, race, generation.

Look at these, you will see

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

+ Reply to Thread