+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All you need to know about nature deficit disorder

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Default All you need to know about nature deficit disorder

It's tough to connect with nature at this time of year.

Your days are spent under artificial lights in an office, while the last of autumn's blooms are hidden beneath piles of decaying leaves.

NDD, or nature deficit disorder, has become a buzzword of late.

Although it's not a recognised medical condition, concerns about its effects on wellbeing are attracting widespread attention.

"I guess it's a symptom of current lifestyle," says Dr Ross Cameron of the department of landscape at Sheffield University.

"We're so clued into modern technology and things that we're less observant about the world around us and we're more likely to learn about wildlife ironically from a David Attenborough programme than maybe from a walk in the woods."

Richard Louv coined the phrase Nature Deficit Disorder in his 2005 book Last Child in the Woods.

He argues that all of us, especially children, are spending more time indoors, which makes us feel alienated from nature and perhaps more vulnerable to negative moods or reduced attention span.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38094186

This is something I thought about years ago, we are after all biological creatures and destroying the very thing that is essential to all life on this world.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

Baby Steps (27th November 2016), boja (26th November 2016), dynamo (26th November 2016), Ewan (26th November 2016), kirolak (26th November 2016), Pam (26th November 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th November 2016), toppy (26th November 2016), transiten (26th November 2016), WhiteLove (27th November 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default Re: All you need to know about nature deficit disorder

If it is made into a "recognized medical condition" watch what the treatment will be. It won't be to spend a minimum of an hour outside with no electronic gadgets, breathing deeply and being aware of the natural world. It will be a pill, or maybe a expensive treatment that will try to immerse you in a virtual reality of the outdoors. I know this is cynical and I believe it is really unhealthy to loose our connection with the natural world but in our current world making money is what matters.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Basho (26th November 2016), bogeyman (26th November 2016), dynamo (26th November 2016), Ewan (26th November 2016), Holly Lindin (26th November 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 times in 595 posts

We used to call it "SAD", seasonal affective disorder, I guess pretty much the same thing; less sunlight, less outdoor activity.
    Earthing has done wonders for me physically (then of course, naturally, mentally) over the past 6 months.
    No reason to stop earthing during the grey winter months.
    I am anticipating continued success.
    I have posted some personal observations here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ng#post1072865

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dynamo For This Post:

bogeyman (26th November 2016), Ewan (26th November 2016), Holly Lindin (26th November 2016), kirolak (26th November 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th November 2016), toppy (26th November 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

I'm thankful for living in Gothenburg a city where it's easy to find nature. I can also take a ferryboat and reach wonderful small islands in less than an hour. I also have an allotment close where I grow vegetables; well this year I've been so sick from lyme that it will be a lot of digging to get rid of all the grass but it keeps me outdoors at least.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

bogeyman (26th November 2016), Ewan (26th November 2016), kirolak (26th November 2016), toppy (26th November 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

A relative of mine works for an "enlightened" oncologist, who actually prescribes a certain number of pieces of fruit each day, various vegetables, & outdoor exercise (ie not in a gym). He will not take patients who do not follow his instructions; & he is mainstream, a Physician & a Professor at a teaching university. . . .so perhaps there is hope for the medical world!

So sorry to hear of your Lyme condition, transiten - I feel sure you have consulted with the best minds about it. . . but sending you an arrow of bright healing, anyway, fwiw.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

bogeyman (26th November 2016), Holly Lindin (26th November 2016), toppy (26th November 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

I see to it that I have at least a day in nature each week. The beach is the best recharger so far. especially when I am trying to compete with my 16 year old son who is a varsity swimmer. unfortunately there isnt any competition. at least I tried and we have fun
    nature is such an stress reliever that if I skip my nature day I sure will feel the stress fangs the following week.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

toppy (26th November 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,543 times in 20,693 posts

I have trouble dealing with extreme temperatures, but I get outdoors to the woods when I can.
    This winter, I am planning on getting some silk long johns and a couple of battery operated hand warmers so I can stay out longer in the cold.
    It's my face and hands that get so uncomfortably cold that I don't want to stay out too long, but if I can keep those warm, that should help a lot.
    It's either that or get a small propane heater to carry with me!
    It makes all the difference in the way I feel to spend time outdoors, as long as I don't get too hot or too cold.
    If I had land of my own, I would sleep outdoors when the weather allowed, right on the earth, in a cotton and down sleeping bag, which would not block the earth energies.
    Each breath a gift...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

fourty-two (27th November 2016), toppy (26th November 2016)

+ Reply to Thread