Thread: First Human Injected With Genetically Modified Genes

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

Default First Human Injected With Genetically Modified Genes

First Human Injected With Controversial Genetically Modified Genes

From Natural Society

China uses CRISPR gene-editing techniques to combat cancer

For the first time in history, a human has been injected with genes edited using the CRISPR-Cas9 method.

The experiment took place on 28 October 2016, when a team of Chinese scientists, led by oncologist Lu You at Sichuan University in Chengdu, delivered the genetically modified (GM) cells into a patient with aggressive lung cancer as part of a clinical trial at the West China Hospital in Chengdu.

To protect the patient’s privacy, the details of the trial have not been released; but Lu said the trial “went smoothly.”

CRISPR is a tool that allows scientists to edit genomes “with unprecedented precision, efficiency, and flexibility,” according to Gizmodo. Dr. Marco Herold, laboratory head of the CRISPR facility at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research in Melbourne, Australia, explains it this way:

“The CRISPR technology relies on two components — an enzyme and a guide molecule. The guide molecule takes its enzyme to a gene which you want to modify, the enzyme cuts the gene, and then it can be repaired in many different ways. You can either change the function of the gene, take away the gene completely, or make the gene more active.”

Mad Science

The method is highly controversial. While CRISPR holds potential for new developments in medicine, agriculture, and other fields, there are deep concerns over the ethics of altering the human genome. For the Chinese trial, researchers had to gain approval from an ethics board at the West China Hospital. [1]

The cells involved in this particular trial are considered less of an ethical gray area because they won’t be passed down to offspring. But eventually, CRISPR could be used to edit embryo and sperm cells, which would usher in the age of “designer babies.”

British researcher Kathy Niakin was given approval in February to edit human embryos, but only for basic research. The embryos will not be implanted, and must be destroyed after 14 days.

The Chinese experiment involved modifying the patient’s own immune cells to make them more effective at combating cancer cells, and then injecting them back into the patient.

The patient will receive a second injection; and the team plans to treat a total of 10 people, who will receive either 2, 3, or 4 injections. The primary purpose of the trial was to test the safety of the procedure. All the participants will be monitored for six months to determine whether the injections are causing serious adverse effects. The team will also be watching beyond the six-month mark to see whether the patients are benefiting from the treatment.

However, Naiyer Rizvi of Columbia University Medical Center in New York City doesn’t have much confidence that the trial will be successful in attacking the participants’ cancer. He said the process of extracting, genetically modifying, and multiplying cells is “a huge undertaking and not very scalable.” He added:

“Unless it shows a large gain in efficacy, it will be hard to justify moving forward.”
    “Biomedical Sputnik”
    Nature reports that the breakthrough could be a “biomedical sputnik,” referring to the Soviet Sputnik satellite that is believed to have sparked the space race between the Soviet Union and the United States.

Back in June, the first U.S. human trial involving CRISPR-Cas9 was approved by a federal biosafety and ethics panel. The gene-editing method will be used to alter immune cells to attack three types of cancer.

The first U.S. CRISPR trial was supposed to be conducted by Editas Medicine to try to treat a rare form of blindness called Leber congenital amaurosis. The condition affects only a few hundred people in the United States. The fact that the trial will occur in cancer patients instead suggests that CRISPR might be used against common diseases sooner than originally thought.

News of the Chinese trial could signal the beginning of an international race to implement CRISPR gene-editing techniques in clinics around the world. Carl June, who specializes in immunotherapy at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, said:

“I think this is going to trigger ‘Sputnik 2.0′, a biomedical duel on progress between China and the United States, which is important since competition usually improves the end product.”
    June is the scientific adviser for the impending U.S. trial, which is expected to take place in early 2017.

In March 2017, a group at Peking University in Beijing hopes to launch three clinical trials using CRISPR against bladder, prostate, and renal-cell cancers. However, those trials currently lack approval and funding.
    When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic ~
    Dresden James.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (4th December 2016), bennycog (4th December 2016), BMJ (4th December 2016), ceetee9 (7th December 2016), chanda (4th December 2016), Ewan (4th December 2016), GaelVictor (4th December 2016), Michael Moewes (4th December 2016), Star Tsar (5th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

Default Re: First Human Injected With Genetically Modified Genes

I have Type 1 diabetes so if something came up for me to get injected with a modified gene to make my pancreas work i would take it so i could live that extra while to watch my children grow. life expectancy is usually 20 years down from the average life expectancy so that would put me around 55 and i have to try and be strict on everything. That is not easy to do..
    So yes i think this is a good thing.
    But like absolutely everything that humanity has and does. the use of these things can be for good or for bad. Depending who takes control.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (4th December 2016), BMJ (4th December 2016), boja (4th December 2016), ceetee9 (7th December 2016), Ewan (4th December 2016), ponda (4th December 2016), sunpaw (4th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 times in 437 posts

The wheat will be separated from the chaff...

6. Link to Post #4
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Quote Posted by bennycog (here)
    I have Type 1 diabetes so if something came up for me to get injected with a modified gene to make my pancreas work i would take it so i could live that extra while to watch my children grow. life expectancy is usually 20 years down from the average life expectancy so that would put me around 55 and i have to try and be strict on everything. That is not easy to do..
    But like absolutely everything that humanity has and does. the use of these things can be for good or for bad. Depending who takes control.
    Use alkaline water and become vegetarian. use coconut oil and you diabetis will dissapear.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

bennycog (4th December 2016), ponda (5th December 2016), Words of Joy (4th December 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

Quote Posted by Michael Moewes (here)
    Use alkaline water and become vegetarian. use coconut oil and you diabetis will dissapear.
    I have not heard of that before. I have a very hard working environment. I swing sledge hammers and operate very heavy tools. would a vegetarian diet make me less able to do these things?
    Remember it is type 1 which means it has been part of me my whole life I was just diagnosed very late into my life.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

Michael Moewes (6th December 2016), ponda (5th December 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have not heard of that before. I have a very hard working environment. I swing sledge hammers and operate very heavy tools. would a vegetarian diet make me less able to do these things?
    Remember it is type 1 which means it has been part of me my whole life I was just diagnosed very late into my life.
    I can't comment on the type 1 being completely nullified, but this video(Vegan Strongman Eats ONE Meal a Day!) should help with the other question. I will say that I do believe that utilizing Ketogenesis would be nothing but beneficial for your body(and Diabetes). I suspect your diet would need some tweaking to utilize it properly though.
    Last edited by GrnEggsNHam; 5th December 2016 at 15:14.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrnEggsNHam For This Post:

bennycog (5th December 2016), Michael Moewes (6th December 2016), ponda (5th December 2016)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by GrnEggsNHam (here)
    I can't comment on the type 1 being completely nullified, but this video(Vegan Strongman Eats ONE Meal a Day!) should help with the other question. I will say that I do believe that utilizing Ketogenesis would be nothing but beneficial for your body(and Diabetes). I suspect your diet would need some tweaking to utilize it properly though.
    Type 2 can be changed with diet. type1 is generally something else.

going vegan may be great for you, or you may suffer greatly from the reduced bio-available proteins... only way to find out is to try!

Keto. is good for everyone, the only guaranteed way we know of to extend life right now is to reduce caloric intake by 30% or more (the basis of ketogenesis). With CRISPR however, I expect we will be able to live to 400+ with in my life time & reversing biological aging will be an option as well.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

bennycog (5th December 2016), Carmody (6th December 2016), Michael Moewes (6th December 2016), ponda (5th December 2016)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

One thing with diabetis, type 1 or 2, is to keep a slow digested protein base in order to regulate the blood sugar levels. We still need a bit of sugar in the blood, too much insulin will deplete the body too fast, veges without slow digesting proteins will release too much sugar too fast. Most vegetarian proteins are fast digesting, not slow digesting as animal ones.

I would not recommend a vegetarian diet for a diabetic personnally, at all. I would however recommend the palo diet (eat like our paelolitic ancestors - cavern men, meat, fish and veges - not too much grains and beans, just a bit of grain or cereals with psyllum integrated into it to increase the fiber contents.

Two things that help: proteins, animal preferably, and high fiber content since it picks up part of the sugar in food and send it to the large intestine (for evacuation). For me, any kind of bean plays havoc. Others are different with beans. For me, cereals plays havoc too unless with psyllum. Probably too easily transformed into starch and sugar once in the body.

I wish Fairy Friend could tell us a bit more on this.

Would I go to geneticists to have myself crisp for that? Probably not, i would be too afraid something else could be injected, since diabetis is a "defect" from perfection. As if the cabal had no defect lolllllll theirs is in the heart and brain, not physically appearant!
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

bennycog (5th December 2016), Michael Moewes (6th December 2016), ponda (5th December 2016)

16. Link to Post #9
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Well this will help you too guy's in terms of alternative medicine. Very important and made illegal by the Drugprescribers.
    https://www.newmedicine.ca

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

bennycog (6th December 2016), Cara (7th December 2016), ponda (6th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread