+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In Defense of Sacred Sites from Exploitation, Harm and Desecration (Mount Shasta, and others...)

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Dustin Naef's Avatar
    Thanks

Default In Defense of Sacred Sites from Exploitation, Harm and Desecration (Mount Shasta, and others...)

As much as anyone else, I have always been fascinated by the mysteries and legends of ancient spiritual sites around the world such as Mount Shasta, and many others that are discussed here on Project Avalon.

But [no pun intended] there's another dimension to these places that is sometimes overlooked, and that is the damage and desecration of these places [intentionally or not] by people who should know better, and don't have any respect for these places and behave as if they're entitled to do whatever they want when visiting them.

This is part one of a film series I've been making about efforts of local tribes to protect Mount Shasta and sacred lands in their ancestral territory from desecration and harm by individuals and large groups who ignore the rules everyone else has to abide by.

Mount Shasta is a sacred mountain known all over the world for its mysterious legends and stunning beauty, but every summer sacred sites on and around the mountain are desecrated by large groups of New Agers, lone individuals, and so-called spiritual shamans and profiteers who believe they have an entitlement to exploit these sacred sites for commercial gain, ignore the posted rules that everyone else has to follow, and generally do anything they want at these places including taking paying customers to these places and pretending to bless them, and leaving trash that doesn't belong there in the environment such as crystals, trinkets, and even burying and dumping human cremation remains in the sacred springs where people are collecting water to drink from (which shouldn't be done either).

In Native American views that water from the sacred springs on Mount Shasta is supposed to be left alone for the plants, animals, and sacred spirits of the place. It's not for human use or consumption, or to bathe in.

When Native Americans stand up and try to protect these places they are often treated and viewed as criminals. While filming the events of this over the summer, I personally witnessed New Agers calling the cops on the local tribes and describing them as "militant thugs" for trying to protect their sacred sites.

This is part one of a film about the desecration of Mount Shasta and efforts to protect it from continuing damage and harm.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Dustin Naef For This Post:

angelfire (4th December 2016), Atlas (5th December 2016), Bill Ryan (4th December 2016), Blacklight43 (4th December 2016), Bluegreen (6th December 2016), ditting (4th December 2016), DNA (4th December 2016), earthadvocate (4th December 2016), fourty-two (6th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (4th December 2016), gaiagirl (4th December 2016), Hervé (4th December 2016), jjjones (4th December 2016), justntime2learn (5th December 2016), Lifebringer (6th December 2016), Melinda (4th December 2016), NancyV (6th December 2016), Orph (4th December 2016), Sequoia (4th December 2016), sleepydumpling (4th December 2016), Star Tsar (6th December 2016), Stephanie (4th December 2016), sunwings (4th December 2016), TrumanCash (5th December 2016), vmk22 (4th December 2016), william r sanford72 (4th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: In Defense of Sacred Sites from Exploitation, Harm and Desecration (Mount Shasta, and others...)

Wow! I guess I'm guilty. I have enjoyed drinking the water from the spring in the Shasta City Park. The spring water is "not for human use or consumption"? Wow! Where should Weed and Shasta (towns at the base of Mt Shasta) get their water now? Is that water "sacred" and not for human use all the way to the Pacific? Wow! Aren't humans one of the "animals" of the place? Are the "natives" allowed to drink the water, but not anyone who is of European, African, Asian, Hispanic, etc descent? Wow!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JRS For This Post:

Star Tsar (6th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Dustin Naef's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: In Defense of Sacred Sites from Exploitation, Harm and Desecration (Mount Shasta, and others...)

Quote Posted by JRS (here)
    Wow! I guess I'm guilty. I have enjoyed drinking the water from the spring in the Shasta City Park. The spring water is "not for human use or consumption"? Wow! Where should Weed and Shasta (towns at the base of Mt Shasta) get their water now? Is that water "sacred" and not for human use all the way to the Pacific? Wow! Aren't humans one of the "animals" of the place? Are the "natives" allowed to drink the water, but not anyone who is of European, African, Asian, Hispanic, etc descent? Wow!

They're not talking about the water the comes out of the base of the mountain. They're talking about the water in Panther Meadows that comes out of the spring up there. And no, people shouldn't be drinking out of it or collecting water from it - or bathing in it, or dumping crystals and human cremation remains in it, and everything else that goes on up there. If you're collecting water out of that spring at Panther Meadows, chances are you're ingesting human remains and God-knows-what-else when you drink it, which is toxic. Because people have depleted and polluted it over the years. That water's supposed to be soley for the meadow, which dries up now pretty much every year. Much more of what goes on up there and how it's harming the environment will be in the other part of the film.

In the Light of Reverence (link above) Mt. Shasta/Panther Meadows segment starts at around the 50:00 mark.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dustin Naef For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (6th December 2016), JRS (6th December 2016), Lifebringer (6th December 2016), NancyV (6th December 2016), Star Tsar (6th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread