+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 3 9 LastLast

Thread: 'Flat Earth' Psychological Operations

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,428 times in 32,920 posts

Default Re: 'Flat Earth' Psychological Operations

Quote Posted by DarMar (here)

At least you understand without spending too much time that you can go through my post and point holes in my reasoning, that's start.
    Than i can do same to yours, than you can again find mine, than i go on yours, thay you on mine .. and then we are trapped.
    It can be endless...
    You suffer from the same profound confusion as joeecho. (Pardon me, but I'll say that straight and honestly.) It's worrying even to read nonsense like this.

It states that you have unresolvable doubts. If that reflects the inner world you live in, it seems you cannot be truly certain about anything, maybe even your own existence. Pragmatically, that's pretty unhealthy.

Metaphysically, you could maybe question whether the cup of coffee you're holding as you read this is actually real. But I bet you drink it anyway.

Read this... possibly you've not come across it. It's become an English idiom referring to a pointless, fruitless, over-intellectual question.
    The question "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" has been used many times as a dismissal of medieval angelology in particular, and of scholasticism in general. The phrase has been used also to criticize figures such as Duns Scotus and Thomas Aquinas, who explored the intersection between the philosophical aspects of space and the qualities attributed to angels. Another variety of the question is: "How many angels can stand on the point of a pin?"

Scholasticism used these kind of questions in dialectical reasoning to extend knowledge by inference, and to resolve contradictions. The need for rationality as complementary to faith was raised as an important point for Catholic theology at the Council of Trent. The question has also been linked to the fall of Constantinople, with the imagery of scholars debating about minutiae while the Turkish besieged the city.

In modern usage, it therefore has been used as a metaphor for wasting time debating topics of no practical value, or questions whose answers hold no intellectual consequence, while more urgent concerns pile up.

Exactly.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 7th December 2016 at 13:05.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (7th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Isserley (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Nick Matkin (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), Sophocles (7th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #42
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 times in 262 posts

Quote Arguing can be quite nonsensical because from it everyone can conclude whatever that person can percept with his perceptors.
    Except this "everyone" is always somebody else, can never be me, cause i'm sort of always right. Right ?
    And that's sort of of true for "everyone".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dim For This Post:

DarMar (8th December 2016), Whiskey_Mystic (7th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by LivioRazlo (here)
    "I would rather have questions for which there are no answers than have answers that can't be questioned."

If FE'ers are so horribly wrong and ignorant, why do those of you continuously attack and berate any discussion of the subject?

Is it because your eyes might possibly be opened to truths which you conveniently suppressed because your ego couldn't handle it?

This forum is becoming far from the nexus of "science and spirituality" that it touts itself as.

Thank you, LivioRazio, for daring to speak up. You and I may be banned for expressing an opinion not endorsed by Project Avalon, though. That's often what happens in these forums.

Moving on, here is a perfect analogy for living on a ball/oblate spheroid/pear shape that no one can explain to me:

Place an ant on a basketball. Watch it crawl around. Unless it is at the very top of the ball, it will always be sideways or even upside down when on the lower portion of the ball.

Now, place a Human or animal on Earth. Watch it walk around. The miracle of all miracles will occur . . . the Human or animal is ALWAYS right side up, no matter where it is standing on the Earth ball.

Now, take the case of an airplane flying from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere. Another miracle of all miracles will occur . . . the airplane is ALWAYS right side up, no matter where it is located above the Earth ball. (I won't even get into the aspect of the Earth supposedly spinning at 1,000 mph having no effect on the speed of an airplane in any direction.)

Anyway, I'm the crazy one for not understanding how things are always right side up on an Earth ball. The standard explanation, which is no explanation at all, is that it is "gravity". OK, so "gravity" magically sticks things to the Earth ball, while simultaneously making them upright, no matter their location? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. People and animals in Australia must be walking around on their heads, because they are always upright on the lower portion of the Earth ball.

Yes, I am truly nuts for not understanding how we live on a ball.

I won't be responding to or monitoring this post because I can't deal with closed minds that refuse to think logically, preferring their indoctrination by those who wish to keep Humans ignorant and/or misguided.

6. Link to Post #44
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,899 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by TheGoldenRule (here)
    [...]
    I won't be responding to or monitoring this post because I can't deal with closed minds that refuse to think logically, preferring their indoctrination by those who wish to keep Humans ignorant and/or misguided.
    One can't help but wonder why such an individual even bothered to submit a membership application to the forum.
    Last edited by Hervé; 7th December 2016 at 16:13.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

bluestflame (7th December 2016), Debra (7th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Sophocles (8th December 2016), Whiskey_Mystic (7th December 2016)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    [...]
    One can't help but wonder why such an individual even bothered to submit a membership application to the forum.
    No kidding.

Terminally, astonishingly, unintelligent. You think that people in Australia (or, if you’re in Australia, people in North America or Europe) don’t feel gravity under their feet?

It’s hard to respond to this kind of thing. As Groucho Marx once said,
    “Why, a four-year-old child could understand this. Run out and find me a four-year-old child.”
    If you can’t comprehend kindergarten simplicities like this, it’s a fair assumption that you’re unable to make much sense of all the other things that are happening in the world, which are a thousand (or a million!) times as complex.

Therefore you’re almost certainly unable to contribute anything very useful to this community — or (clearly!) learn anything from participating in it.

* Bill is almost lost for words *

Unsubscribed. We wish you well, but you absolutely do not belong here.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Debra (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Hervé (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), NeedleThreader (8th December 2016), Nick Matkin (7th December 2016), Omni (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), Sophocles (8th December 2016), sunwings (7th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,367 times in 8,335 posts

Psychological provocateur. Even though it's tempting to explain what "the right way up" obviously is, it's not the point of such a post to inquire and learn.

The psyop walks in through an open door and drops your favorite vase on the tiles, and looks you in the eye and tells you to sweep up the mess if you care about it so much.

That's not 'thick as a brick', it's darker than ignorance.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

bluestflame (7th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Hervé (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), silvanelf (9th August 2019), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

12. Link to Post #47
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

I sometimes wonder if these flat earth people actually believe what they say.
    They might just want to provoke reaction--they sure succeed.

Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Debra (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), NeedleThreader (8th December 2016), Nick Matkin (7th December 2016), Omni (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016), Wind (7th December 2016)

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

Yes, I am truly nuts for not understanding how we live on a ball.

Astonishing. Truly astonishing. These people walk amongst us, are able to vote and bare children. Perhaps terrifying would be a better adjective...

Apologies if that seems a little over the top, but I never cease to be deeply perplexed by some people's concept of reality and complete lack of comprehension of the physical world around them. How do they reach adulthood and yet sustain these mindsets?

This is surely worthy of study itself...
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 7th December 2016 at 17:12.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (7th December 2016)

16. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

I am part of a team that is launching a satellite into LEO to monitor the lunar surface. The SAT will orbit the very round Earth every ninety minutes. This won't work if the Earth is flat. If the SAT crashes into the flat earth instead, I will be sure to let everyone know right away.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Mystic; 7th December 2016 at 17:30.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

17. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Baby Steps (7th December 2016), bluestflame (7th December 2016), Bob (7th December 2016), Carmody (7th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), DeDukshyn (7th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), Holly Lindin (8th December 2016), littleOne (7th December 2016), muxfolder (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Nick Matkin (7th December 2016), Omni (7th December 2016), shijo (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), ThePythonicCow (7th December 2016), ulli (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016), Wind (7th December 2016)

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    I am part of a team that is launching a satellite into LEO to monitor the lunar surface. The SAT will orbit the very round Earth every ninety minutes. This won't work if the Earth is flat. If the SAT crashes into the flat earth instead, I will be sure to let everyone know right away.
    Apparently people like you and me who actually use satellites (along with the thousands who design, manufacture and launch them) are all part of this bizarre cover-up.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bob (7th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), littleOne (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), silvanelf (9th August 2019), ThePythonicCow (7th December 2016), ulli (8th December 2016)

20. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)
    Quote Posted by Whiskey_Mystic (here)
    Apparently people like you and me who actually use satellites (along with the thousands who design, manufacture and launch them) are all part of this bizarre cover-up.
    Awesome. I always wanted to be part of the cover up!
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Bob (7th December 2016), Debra (7th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (7th December 2016), littleOne (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (7th December 2016), Sierra (7th December 2016), ThePythonicCow (7th December 2016), ulli (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

22. Link to Post #52
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,647 times in 21,531 posts

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    They might just want to provoke reaction--they sure succeed
    They also get to perpetuate the idea that there is no common, shared, reality or truth, on any topic whatsoever. Rather anyone's thoughts on any topic are all equally valid. The truth is whatever we think it is, on all topics. Moreover, any forum or organization that denies this and that limits members or discussions according to "their" ideas of what might be useful or helpful (or at least not destructively distracting) discussion or inquiry is a bunch of tyrannical, censoring, close-minded bastards.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Debra (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), silvanelf (9th August 2019)

24. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    They might just want to provoke reaction--they sure succeed
    They also get to perpetuate the idea that there is no common, shared, reality or truth, on any topic whatsoever. Rather anyone's thoughts on any topic are all equally valid. The truth is whatever we think it is, on all topics. Moreover, any forum or organization that denies this and that limits members or discussions according to "their" ideas of what might be useful or helpful (or at least not destructively distracting) discussion or inquiry is a bunch of tyrannical, censoring, close-minded bastards.
    A little less erudite is this exchange just now, on the mods Skype chat.
    Bill: @ Debra [who lives in Australia], did you see that post by TheGoldenRule on the Flat Earth thread? (I thought maybe you could post a photo of yourself standing on your head)
    (or, maybe, trying to hang on, like an upside down ant on a basketball)
    ^^ read the post to make any sense of this!

Paul: Ah - that's why you moved to Ecuador, Bill. You got tired of standing at an angle.
    Brilliant!

Bill: Yep... everything's horizontal, here

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), Debra (7th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (8th December 2016), ThePythonicCow (8th December 2016)

26. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Bill: @ Debra [who lives in Australia], did you see that post by TheGoldenRule on the Flat Earth thread? (I thought maybe you could post a photo of yourself standing on your head)
    (or, maybe, trying to hang on, like an upside down ant on a basketball)
    ^^ read the post to make any sense of this!
    Debra just sent us this selfie (it's summer there right now, great on the beach)

She snapped this photo on the way there...

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 8th December 2016 at 00:20.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ankle Biter (20th May 2017), Debra (8th December 2016), ExomatrixTV (1st December 2023), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

28. Link to Post #55
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

I have two friends who have gone over to the flat earth side. It seems the movement is particularly dangerous (and appealing) to people who have recently awoken to the reality that all is not a it seems...and have recently realized that 'they' have been lying to us. Once a person accepts that 'they' have been purposely deceiving us, it becomes easy to fall prey to ideas like this. I haven't looked into it very much, but I know that whatever argument I raise to these friends they have a counter argument based on FE model. Whoever put this particular idea out obviously spent a lot of time on it. I imagine a team sitting around a table laughing at the absurdity and intricacies of their creation.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), NeedleThreader (8th December 2016), Nick Matkin (8th December 2016), Omni (8th December 2016), SilentFeathers (8th December 2016), silvanelf (9th August 2019), Verdilac (8th December 2016), Wind (9th December 2016)

30. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by enfoldedblue (here)

......recently awoken to the reality that all is not as it seems...and have recently realized that 'they' have been lying to us. Once a person accepts that 'they' have been purposely deceiving us, it becomes easy to fall prey to ideas like this.........
    It's like a fire wall.

It will become more obviously bogus if the internet is restricted but the flat earth meme is left unhindered. I don't think I've noticed any obviously FE sites in the Fake News lists.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

bluestflame (8th December 2016), enfoldedblue (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), ulli (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016), Wind (9th December 2016)

32. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)

It's like a fire wall.
    Or, a giant pendulum swing.

* Bill is being serious now *
    1. A person correctly comes to realize they've been lied to about a number of major things...
    2. ...and then decides that everything is a lie, with no exceptions.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), enfoldedblue (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), NeedleThreader (8th December 2016), Omni (8th December 2016), silvanelf (9th August 2019), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

34. Link to Post #58
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Thank you Bill.

It is about time that we who have made the long Journey to experience the Reality of what is truly going on can now provide evidence that we are indeed positioned on the other side of this flat beautiful earth.

Google Earth i believe is a psyop but they slip up. Do the search yourself. Zoom in enough and you will see. Above flat earth photography does not lie!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	34674
    Wake up Avalon

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), enfoldedblue (8th December 2016)

36. Link to Post #59
    Thanks

Spacial awareness is really something we master for ourselves without having to rely on trusted sources. It's more normal for a baby to achieve spacial awareness by about the time it can reach out and touch a line of noisy things across it's cot. From there it's pretty quick progress to riding a bike and falling out of trees etc. All done without having to believe anyone about anything.

I suppose the problems kick in after schools get there hands on them.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), enfoldedblue (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), silvanelf (9th August 2019)

38. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Spacial awareness is really something we master for ourselves without having to rely on trusted sources. It's more normal for a baby to achieve spacial awareness by about the time it can reach out and touch a line of noisy things across it's cot. From there it's pretty quick progress to riding a bike and falling out of trees etc. All done without having to believe anyone about anything.

I suppose the problems kick in after schools get there hands on them.
    These are interesting questions. I think some folks make very good, workable sense of the world that's in front of their eyes, for all everyday practical purposes, but then can't, or don't extrapolate (or maybe even ever think about!) the bigger picture.

Here's a real example: a conversation I had with a good friend of mine, when we were both sharing a long car journey in our early 20s. She was an artist, and a very, very nice person indeed. The subject came up about stars, because we were driving at night under a clear sky.

I made some reference to stars each being like our sun (or, in many cases, much bigger), zillions of miles away, and many of them might have their own planetary systems that we knew absolutely nothing about.

My friend was utterly shocked. She'd had no idea what stars were. She worked in theater, and (this is not a joke), I honestly think she thought they were just like a bunch of stage lights somehow all hanging in the sky. She had never heard the idea that stars were suns like our own.

To this day, I remember how utterly astonished she was as I explained it all to her. Yet she was creative, smart, funny, able, a BA university graduate, and in every way an extremely lovely person.

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BMJ (8th December 2016), Debra (8th December 2016), enfoldedblue (8th December 2016), Hervé (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), norman (8th December 2016), Omni (8th December 2016), silvanelf (10th August 2019), ulli (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016), Wind (9th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 3 9 LastLast