Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 4 9 LastLast

Thread: 'Flat Earth' Psychological Operations

1. Link to Post #61
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,390 times in 13,271 posts

Default Re: 'Flat Earth' Psychological Operations

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by norman (here)
    Spacial awareness is really something we master for ourselves without having to rely on trusted sources. It's more normal for a baby to achieve spacial awareness by about the time it can reach out and touch a line of noisy things across it's cot. From there it's pretty quick progress to riding a bike and falling out of trees etc. All done without having to believe anyone about anything.

I suppose the problems kick in after schools get there hands on them.
    These are interesting questions. I think some folks make very good, workable sense of the world that's in front of their eyes, for all everyday practical purposes, but then can't, or don't extrapolate (or maybe even ever think about!) the bigger picture.

Here's a real example: a conversation I had with a good friend of mine, when we were both sharing a long car journey in our early 20s. She was an artist, and a very, very nice person indeed. The subject came up about stars, because we were driving at night under a clear sky.

I made some reference to stars each being like our sun (or, in many cases, much bigger), zillions of miles away, and many of them might have their own planetary systems that we knew absolutely nothing about.

My friend was utterly shocked. She'd had no idea what stars were. She worked in theater, and (this is not a joke), I honestly think she thought they were just like a bunch of stage lights somehow all hanging in the sky. She had never heard the idea that stars were suns like our own.

To this day, I remember how utterly astonished she was as I explained it all to her. Yet she was creative, smart, funny, able, a BA university graduate, and in every way an extremely lovely person.
    The same happened to me with a 'well-educated' employee years ago in Barbados. I had one of those astronomy books with realistic pictures, and started to show them to her.
    Earth getting smaller and smaller as more solar system planets were shown.
    I don't know which one of us was more shocked, when she suddenly exclaimed " That can't be!!!"
    She, at discovering that the earth was a blue marble suspended in black space, or I at discovering that someone had never heard before that the earth was round.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), BMJ (8th December 2016), Hervé (8th December 2016), Marianne (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), norman (8th December 2016), onawah (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016), Verdilac (8th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #62
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,763 times in 4,211 posts

It's strictly off topic the say this, but, I've found lately that I can't have a serious conversation with a 'millennial' around here because they don't really know anything. I wouldn't mind that so much, if they weren't so cock sure they don't need to.
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

bluestflame (8th December 2016), LoneWolf76 (8th December 2016), Marianne (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), onawah (8th December 2016), ulli (8th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks
    Thanked 260,186 times in 19,028 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

"That can't be!!!"
    That's hilarious... you could write that scene into a movie

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Marianne (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Omni (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016), ulli (8th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #64
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 241 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)

It's like a fire wall.
    Or, a giant pendulum swing.

* Bill is being serious now *
    1. A person correctly comes to realize they've been lied to about a number of major things...
    2. ...and then decides that everything is a lie, with no exceptions.
    I agree with the above very much and adding a little something if I may, and if I have permission.

When people decide everything is a lie with no exceptions it can be very hard to reach them on any level or stop them doing very silly things, very serious silly things which sadly there can be no coming back from.

Maybe its our job to try and steer said parties in a more positive direction with words, literature and learn experiences.

I have my concerns about trying steer anyone if I'm honest as its there learning experience & there life, but it is quite painful to lose people this way after they initially came to realise there was so much they were missing by not opening up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdilac For This Post:

BMJ (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,281 times in 3,447 posts

Thanks for the laughs everyone

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #66
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,755 times in 9,343 posts

It just goes to show you what public schooling is doing to students' minds.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

7alon (8th December 2016), BMJ (8th December 2016), DarMar (8th December 2016), Omni (8th December 2016), SilentFeathers (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016), Wind (9th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #67
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,102 times in 1,355 posts

Quote My friend was utterly shocked. She'd had no idea what stars were. She worked in theater, and (this is not a joke), I honestly think she thought they were just like a bunch of stage lights somehow all hanging in the sky. She had never heard the idea that stars were suns like our own.
    I have come across this sort of thinking before, Bill. Not that particular subject, but the sort of thing that makes you think: "What? You might not understand it but you've never even thought about it?!"

One can imagine this being the case hundreds of years ago, but hasn't everyone we come into daily contact with been to school?

Perhaps it's because we usually surround ourselves with people of similar experiences, interests and educations and when we are confronted with something like this it takes us aback.

A recent expression I heard - and you need a slight understanding of mathematics to appreciate it...

*When you realise how stupid the average person is, it's very worrying when you realise half the population is even stupider than that!*

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

BMJ (8th December 2016), jc71 (8th December 2016), Wind (9th December 2016)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks

Yet she was creative, smart, funny, able, a BA university graduate...
    It's like finishing school and not knowing the alphabet? Universe material is in the textbooks for elementary schools.. perhaps pre-school children learn the basics of the universe.
    Maybe it's a sign that we are on the path of returning to the Middle Ages when all sorts of unsubstantiated facts were considered as strict truth.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

DarMar (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017)

17. Link to Post #69
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,304 times in 1,544 posts

emotional investment

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

DarMar (8th December 2016)

19. Link to Post #70
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 times in 448 posts

Speaking as someone who went down the FE rabbit hole and came out for the better it is really smells of the Tavistock Institute to me. Youtube plays a massive role in pushing the agenda as your homepage quickly fills up with flat earth/ dome videos with millions of views. (11 million people cant be wrong you think)

Click image for larger version

Name:	flatearth.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	34676

However hard they tried to tell me that the UN map or the flight paths of planes were proof of FE, there were very obvious scientific facts which they could not explain....

The only part of this Psyop which got my attention was Antarctica. The videos made it clear that it was the edge of the earth and that is why it was so protected. I realised there could be something there but it certainly wasn't the edge of the world! But what? Two years later Antarctica seems to be very active indeed .....
    Last edited by sunwings; 8th December 2016 at 10:32.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

bluestflame (8th December 2016), Hervé (8th December 2016)

21. Link to Post #71
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,763 times in 394 posts

Quote You suffer from the same profound confusion as joeecho. (Pardon me, but I'll say that straight and honestly.)
    When I was kid, I played doctor role several times too.
    Sadly I must disappoint your diagnose as I'm not suffering any kind of your speculation. No matter what opinion you have it is still just an opinion.

Quote It states that you have unresolvable doubts. If that reflects the inner world you live in, it seems you cannot be truly certain about anything, maybe even your own existence. Pragmatically, that's pretty unhealthy.
    It states that debates can be endless without personal experience because they are build onto ideas. Rest is again assumption but health care is persistent

Quote Metaphysically, you could maybe question whether the cup of coffee you're holding as you read this is actually real. But I bet you drink it anyway.
    Metaphysically this comical event even happened in your head while typing this.
    Be careful when wandering in the woods... The wolf may approach you... And if you are approached by a solitary wolf... It is not a wolf at all!

22. Link to Post #72
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,817 times in 760 posts

The earth is round. But the sun is flat!
    This can be proven with a simple explanation;
    If the sun was round the sun rays would miss earth or at least most of them would.
    With a round sun there would be an ice age within a few hours...

This is what it really looks like:

If you make straight lines from a round object the distance between the lines increases more and more the further you go, meaning if the sun is round the rays would more or less miss earth:

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (9th December 2016), DarMar (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016)

24. Link to Post #73
    Thanks
    Thanked 92,265 times in 15,123 posts

Yep... another one of these "dialogues de sourds" between ideas and their subjective realities and a - somewhat - common 3D physical reality...

At least there is some common ground () ... that there is an "Earth" and that people do walk on it!

See: http://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1072735
    Last edited by Hervé; 8th December 2016 at 14:22.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

BMJ (8th December 2016), DarMar (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Sunny-side-up (8th December 2016)

26. Link to Post #74
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EmEx (here)
    Well, I hope you realize that was an artistic joke!

Here's more of Bruce Iorio's work.
    I liked this image of his... here, we have another model of the solar system.

Here's another one (very neat! ), though this was created by another artist, Bill Frymire.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BMJ (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016)

28. Link to Post #75
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,109 times in 1,019 posts

You're all wrong. It's turtles all the way down.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Nick Matkin (8th December 2016), Omni (10th December 2016), Satori (8th December 2016), silvanelf (10th August 2019), Wind (9th December 2016), wondering (8th December 2016)

30. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

Anti-logic: the education plague
    Nov 25 by Jon Rappoport
    https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2...tion-plague-4/
    Quote In all times and places, logic is never taught to the masses. There is no intention to do so.

Now, in our “egalitarian society,” education carries with it great PR pretension, a fakery that outflanks any other period in history.

Therefore, graduating students wrongly believe they know how to think.

In my latest collection, Power Outside The Matrix, I include a long audio tutorial, Analyzing Information in the Age of Disinformation, which is all about carrying out deep investigations of major official scenarios/stories, and discovering how and where these official structures can be penetrated, taken apart, and unfolded, so all their flaws and deceptions are exposed.

This training is meant to remedy the deep hole people find themselves in, when they go up against entrenched (or even alternative) “knowledge.”

For example, there is a particular logical fallacy I call: “this means that.”

It runs rampant throughout society. The fallacy bleeds into the reasoning process, into notions of self-worth, into people’s need to identify themselves with an “acceptable” position.

Take the concept of manmade global warming. For many people, affirming this as a reality means:

“I’m defending the sacred quality of life on Earth, I’m helping the planet, I’m exposing the nasty crimes of big corporations, I’m acknowledging and shining a spotlight on the selfish and petty actions of the masses, I’m in the vanguard of recognizing that this issue represents the greatest threat humankind has ever known, I’m transcending ‘profits over values’, I’m envisioning with others a better world, I’m aligning myself with the best international scientific minds, I’m experiencing the sensation of having a larger mission in life.”

This—manmade global warming—means all that.

Therefore, how do you approach rational discourse on the subject of manmade warming?

You don’t.

There is no logic to be found. There is only “this means that.”

The concept or idea or symbol of manmade warming is so fully packed with sentiment, it resists all attempts at entry.

Here is another example: “America must field a powerful military force all over the world.”

For many people this means: “US wars are good and righteous wars, support our troops, admire the representations of war in sports, praise large American corporations, vote for a ‘tough President’, winning is everything, expand the Pentagon budget, develop a kick-ass attitude, love technology in all forms and degrees, obey and agree with institutional authority, assume that bigger is always better.”

“This means that.”

Therefore, a rational discussion about the wisdom of deploying the US military all over the planet is impossible. The amount of packed sentiment is a suit of body and mind armor.

In the case of manmade warming, examining the science behind the hypothesis becomes completely irrelevant. To even begin to look at it feels like an act of betrayal to the person who has “this means that” firmly in place.

Nothing in the person’s education has ever challenged his reflexive hard-wired “this-that” formulation. A breakthrough has never been made in the area of logic.

Instead, education has, at best, skated across the surface of “this means that” and left it undisturbed.

With some degree of accuracy, one could say that all the other traditional logical fallacies—ad hominem attack, straw man, vague generality, circular reasoning, appeal to authority, etc.—spring from “this means that.”

When I attended college in the 1950s, it was my good fortune to have a logic professor who could analyze and separate a thousand angels dancing on the head of a pin—and at the same time, maintain his great and natural charm and sense of humor.

Our conversations outside of class were moments of excitement. They were also rugged mind workouts.

His parting shot to me, as I was about to graduate: “Know what you don’t know.”

Some 20 years later, when I began a career as a reporter, that piece of advice came back to me.

I was prepared to do investigations, because I could make assessments of what I didn’t know and therefore needed to find out.

I could evaluate sources, who would often try to deploy logical flaws to derail me.

One of the great delights of reporting is discovering that the story you’re working on isn’t the story. The story turns out to be something else entirely.

That was the case in 1987, when I got down to writing my first book, AIDS Inc (note: AIDS Inc is included as bonus in Power Outside The Matrix). People were coming at me from every direction, feeding me their half-baked theories about what AIDS “really was.”

They seemed to believe that, because they were departing from the conventional wisdom on the subject, they must be right.

Encountering that odd notion of self-entitlement stood me in good stead, from that time forward.

When I eventually arrived at the bottom of the AIDS story, I was shocked to see it wasn’t at all what I predicted it would be.

It’s astounding how many logical steps people are willing to skip over, when they have a “this means that” cooking in their heads.

Like a foreign traveler visiting a bizarre museum, I’ve encountered many varieties of sophistry over the past 30 years.

Logic isn’t the be-all and end-all. But it is, in the largest sense, an ever-expanding method you can use to probe deeper and deeper into an argument, a line of reasoning, and engage with the basic assumptions that underlie a position a person is occupying.

It’s as if you’re learning a story backwards, moving toward the beginning, where all the secrets are.

And chances are good that you will eventually encounter some form of the abiding “this means that,” hiding like a horned toad under a bush.

He’s there, he’s quiet, he’s waiting, and when you turn a branch away from a shadow, he stares at you and you know you’ve arrived at the nexus:

the unyielding stubborn source of confusion and illogic.

And sometimes, on good days, you can get the horned toad to tell his story. His real story. All the way through. And you can see him regain his lost sanity.

That’s an experience not to be missed. You’ll remember it for your whole life.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Hervé (8th December 2016), Satori (8th December 2016), silvanelf (10th August 2019), Whiskey_Mystic (8th December 2016)

32. Link to Post #77
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,918 times in 1,491 posts

Quote Posted by ulli (here)

"That can't be!!!"
    That's hilarious... you could write that scene into a movie
    For me it was, "NO...WAY!"

Had almost exact same experience with a former gf. After leaving a pub late one night, I paused briefly by the car to admire the stars - millions of bright stars on a cold, very clear night. I pointed out various constellations to her, some notable stars, and then finally Venus. 'Venus?' she inquired, 'but isn't that a planet?'

'Yes,' (not a big deal), 'that's the planet Venus.'

'NO WAY!'

To her, Venus was just some 'space thing', far, far away (if it existed at all) and irrelevant, because it did not exist in her world. But here it was right in front of her, a sharp point of light, more brilliant than any other – clearly visible, and very real. I'll never forget the look on her face. For a brief moment awareness of her reality shifted, or expanded, and took in something she had never even conceived of before.

anyway, back to topic...
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Hervé (8th December 2016)

34. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

And God promised men...

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (11th December 2016), Bill Ryan (8th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Satori (8th December 2016)

36. Link to Post #79
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,102 times in 1,355 posts

I'm sorry everyone, but does Poe's Law apply to this post or not?

Quote Posted by EmEx (here)
    This can be proven with a simple explanation;
    If the sun was round the sun rays would miss earth or at least most of them would.
    With a round sun there would be an ice age within a few hours...

This is what it really looks like:

If you make straight lines from a round object the distance between the lines increases more and more the further you go, meaning if the sun is round the rays would more or less miss earth:

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Rich (8th December 2016)

38. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)

I'm sorry everyone, but does Poe's Law apply to this post or not?
    For reference!
    Poe's law is an Internet adage that states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers or viewers as a sincere expression of the parodied views.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th December 2016), Nasu (24th April 2017), Nick Matkin (8th December 2016), Satori (8th December 2016), silvanelf (10th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 4 9 LastLast