+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Friend Kerrie Lea is hanging on for dear life: please do help

1. Link to Post #201
    Thanks

Default Re: Our Friend Kerrie Lea is hanging on for dear life: please do help

Kerrie - thinking of you and sending you loving healing energy today and always. You are so important to our beautiful and challenging work here and I'm grateful for the progress you're making in healing.
    =======
    Thanks peterpam for posting your suggestion - I hope that might be workable for her! It would be super if it was!
    =======
    BTW - I had asked Kerrie privately for more info and she sent me this, and when I asked if it was OK to share, she said yes. She's been quite busy prepping for this surgery - i.e. doing lots of cooking so she has good nutrition during her recovery period. And making sure she has what she needs in her home, so she can be independent as she recovers. She really doesn't have a strong support system locally, and I wish at times I were back in the USA close to her (I'm in Ecuador), so I could pop down to her home and be there when she needs someone to simply be there. I have been so inspired by her attitude and approach to healing herself - there have been times in my life that I needed to shore up and didn't come even close to what she is able to do, in spite of physical limitations and what has to be an emotional drain. So kudos to her and thanks Kerrie for the great example. I sent her a check a while back, and will send more as I'm able.

Here's what she also shared with me: I am on Obamacare for now. I was just approved for it a few months ago. It pays for some of my treatments. It does not cover all of the physical therapy (only 8 visits) and I'll use that up in the first two weeks after this surgery. The same is true for the next two surgeries later this year. It does not cover any of my naturopathic treatments or even my GP as they are not part of the only plan available to me here. As a matter of fact, the surgeon that I am seeing accepted me on a special treatment plan because he does not accept this insurance as a normal course of action.

At this point, I've used all of my donations paying for treatments to heal my body so that I am eligible for surgery. As you may recall, I was refused twice due to my previous physical condition. I see my Naturopath today for presurgery tests and to determine which supplements I can stay on and which I need to stop taking prior to surgery / anesthesia.

As for disability, as I am still legally married I am not eligible for it. When my divorce is final (later this year). I could apply, but it could take up to two years for me to be approved. And by then I will not need it.

Peace & Love, K

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

7alon (28th July 2017), Bill Ryan (28th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (27th July 2017), Hervé (28th July 2017), kerrielea (29th July 2017), Mike (27th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (27th July 2017), RunningDeer (27th July 2017), skogvokter (28th July 2017), Star Tsar (27th July 2017), Stephanie (27th July 2017), wondering (7th August 2017)

3. Link to Post #202
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,310 times in 1,830 posts

Quote Posted by DebJoy (here)
    Kerrie - thinking of you and sending you loving healing energy today and always. You are so important to our beautiful and challenging work here and I'm grateful for the progress you're making in healing.
    =======
    Thanks peterpam for posting your suggestion - I hope that might be workable for her! It would be super if it was!
    =======
    BTW - I had asked Kerrie privately for more info and she sent me this, and when I asked if it was OK to share, she said yes. She's been quite busy prepping for this surgery - i.e. doing lots of cooking so she has good nutrition during her recovery period. And making sure she has what she needs in her home, so she can be independent as she recovers. She really doesn't have a strong support system locally, and I wish at times I were back in the USA close to her (I'm in Ecuador), so I could pop down to her home and be there when she needs someone to simply be there. I have been so inspired by her attitude and approach to healing herself - there have been times in my life that I needed to shore up and didn't come even close to what she is able to do, in spite of physical limitations and what has to be an emotional drain. So kudos to her and thanks Kerrie for the great example. I sent her a check a while back, and will send more as I'm able.

Here's what she also shared with me: I am on Obamacare for now. I was just approved for it a few months ago. It pays for some of my treatments. It does not cover all of the physical therapy (only 8 visits) and I'll use that up in the first two weeks after this surgery. The same is true for the next two surgeries later this year. It does not cover any of my naturopathic treatments or even my GP as they are not part of the only plan available to me here. As a matter of fact, the surgeon that I am seeing accepted me on a special treatment plan because he does not accept this insurance as a normal course of action.

At this point, I've used all of my donations paying for treatments to heal my body so that I am eligible for surgery. As you may recall, I was refused twice due to my previous physical condition. I see my Naturopath today for presurgery tests and to determine which supplements I can stay on and which I need to stop taking prior to surgery / anesthesia.

As for disability, as I am still legally married I am not eligible for it. When my divorce is final (later this year). I could apply, but it could take up to two years for me to be approved. And by then I will not need it.

Peace & Love, K

DebJoy, Thank you for taking the time to explain. I would like to clarify that filing for disability is not contingent on marital status. Kerrie certainly is disabled.She would receive much better coverage if she were on disability. Her situation is the kind of thing that disability was created for. I am more than sure she has paid into it while working, why not take advantage when she needs it? It is important that she take advantage of programs that she qualifies for. Very, very few people can afford to pay out of pocket for medical treatment in the USA. The system is not set up for it. There is a expedited form of disability related to dire need. Here are the requirements:

Dire Need

If a claimant does not have the resources to get food, medicine, or shelter, the SSA will treat the claim as a critical case.
    Types of Dire Need Cases

These types of claims are called “dire need” cases, and you should advise the SSA if you are in need of one of the following.

Food. Tell the SSA immediately if you are without food or cannot afford to get food.

Medical care. Tell the SSA immediately if you do not have access to the medicine or medical care you need. This can be because you don’t have the insurance, money, or other resources to get proper care.

Shelter. Tell the SSA if your home lacks utilities (because of inability to pay the bills), you are homeless, you are facing eviction or foreclosure, or you have reached the limit on how long you can stay in a homeless shelter.

You do not need to provide the SSA with specific evidence that supports your allegation of “dire need.” However, if the SSA discovers evidence that contradicts your claim, it may require that you provide further proof of your situation.
    Evidence That Helps Prove a Dire Need Case

The SSA will not immediately label the file of every claimant who alleges financial hardship as a “dire need” case because it would prevent the SSA from being able to help the most serious cases. Therefore, if you request that your claim be treated as a “dire need” case, you should provide the SSA with as much evidence as possible to support your statements. The following are some examples of evidence that may be helpful in a “dire need” case:

notification of immediate eviction from your landlord
    notification from your lender that foreclosure is imminent (not just threatened)
    a letter from your homeless shelter that states you are no longer eligible for services
    a letter from your utility company that states water, electric, or gas services have been discontinued because of overdue bills
    evidence that you have lost insurance coverage
    pharmacy records that indicate prescription medication costs
    copies of medical bills, and
    copies of estimated costs for any medical treatment you need.

Be sure to let the SSA when you apply if you are without any of these basic needs. If your situation worsens after you applied for disability, you can go to your local field office to notify the SSA of your situation. If your circumstances improve, the SSA may remove the “dire need” designation on your disability claim.

Pam

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), DebJoy (29th July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th July 2017), Hervé (28th July 2017), kerrielea (29th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (28th July 2017), RunningDeer (28th July 2017), skogvokter (29th July 2017), Star Tsar (28th July 2017), Stephanie (29th July 2017)

5. Link to Post #203
    United States Avalon Member kerrielea's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Aii!

I am just waking up, in a fair amount of pain, and typing one handed, so I'll keep this short.

Thanks for writing and posting the update Deb. I really appreciate it. Maybe she can post a better update about the surgery here later.

Pam, I applied for disability (for the fourth time) six weeks ago. I was denied because too many people scam the system. As long as I am legally married I am not eligable for it.

For now, I am home and resting. Grateful for all your healing energy.

6. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to kerrielea For This Post:

animovado (29th July 2017), avid (31st July 2017), Bill Ryan (29th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), DebJoy (25th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), fourty-two (29th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2017), genevieve (31st July 2017), Hervé (29th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), Paul (29th July 2017), RunningDeer (29th July 2017), skogvokter (5th August 2017), Star Tsar (29th July 2017), Stephanie (29th July 2017), YoYoYo (30th July 2017)

7. Link to Post #204
    Moderator/Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 5,880 times in 639 posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	35794

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), DebJoy (29th July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), fourty-two (29th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2017), Hervé (29th July 2017), kerrielea (29th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), RunningDeer (29th July 2017), Star Tsar (29th July 2017), wondering (7th August 2017), YoYoYo (30th July 2017)

9. Link to Post #205
    Thanks

I talked briefly with Kerrie yesterday. This is one determined lady! She's dealing with a lot of pain during the recovery, but I'm amazed and so grateful for how she is so consciously and on purpose with making sure she stays on the healing path. The doctor confirmed that her shoulder damage is more severe than he'd expected, and the biceps muscle is detached too. So it will take another surgery. They are waiting for biopsies and cultures to come back. Answers will be coming in the next 3 weeks or so. So even though she seems to be doing well and in great spirits, I sure get how challenging this is, and how she's stepped up to be very positive and sending that positive energy to her body. Since of course, she is not her body, but the guardian of it. So welcoming all the good and loving thoughts and support. More later as she shares with me how the progress is coming along. I'll be her typing fingers...

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

animovado (29th July 2017), avid (31st July 2017), Bill Ryan (30th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), fourty-two (1st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th July 2017), genevieve (31st July 2017), Hervé (29th July 2017), kerrielea (30th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), Paul (29th July 2017), RunningDeer (29th July 2017), Star Tsar (29th July 2017), Stephanie (29th July 2017), YoYoYo (30th July 2017)

11. Link to Post #206
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,423 times in 2,954 posts

Thanks, DebJoy! We are all with her!

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th July 2017), Billy (29th July 2017), DebJoy (29th July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), fourty-two (1st August 2017), kerrielea (30th July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), RunningDeer (29th July 2017), Star Tsar (29th July 2017), Stephanie (29th July 2017), YoYoYo (30th July 2017)

13. Link to Post #207
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,631 times in 14,160 posts

Total - $11,674

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan
    Three ways, PayPal, GoFundMe or send a check:
    • Kerrie prefers PayPal (the fees are less, so every donation does a little more there): log into PayPal.com and click Send Money, specifying her address iamgrateful2u2@gmail.com
    • Or you can donate through GoFundMe by clicking http://gofundme.com/kerrielea.
    • Or you are welcome to send a check directly to Kerrie. Please PM Marianne for her address.
    Quote Posted by Marianne
    [Full post here]…Back in 2010, Kerrie was in a serious accident where 75% of her right arm was separated from the joint. After six surgeries to repair and reconnect her arm, she found her body was rejecting the metal implanted. She has intense and constant pain. Her sleep is minimal. She hasn't been able to work or live a normal life since the accident.

And now her liver is shutting down from the rejection of the metal. This is a gravely serious condition. The metal is toxic to her body, and has been poisoning her for six years.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 1st August 2017 at 02:55.

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st July 2017), Billy (6th August 2017), DebJoy (31st July 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), fourty-two (1st August 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st July 2017), genevieve (31st July 2017), Hervé (31st July 2017), kerrielea (1st August 2017), Mike (31st July 2017), Ol' Roy (31st July 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (8th August 2017), Star Tsar (31st July 2017), Stephanie (9th August 2017), wondering (7th August 2017)

15. Link to Post #208
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,423 times in 2,954 posts

You are always in our hearts, Dear Kerrie!!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (6th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), kerrielea (6th August 2017), RunningDeer (6th August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (9th August 2017)

17. Link to Post #209
    Australia Avalon Member markoid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 times in 479 posts

Hang in there Kerrielea.. you are one courageous lass and I am wishing and sending you all the best and hope you are having times of no, or at least little, pain.Will donate some more soon.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to markoid For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (6th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th August 2017), kerrielea (6th August 2017), RunningDeer (6th August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (9th August 2017)

19. Link to Post #210
    Thanks

Total - $11,679

• Kerrie prefers PayPal (the fees are less, so every donation does a little more there): log into PayPal.com and click Send Money, specifying her address iamgrateful2u2@gmail.com
    • Or you are welcome to send a check directly to Kerrie. Please PM Marianne for her address.

Quote Posted by Marianne
    [Full post here]…Back in 2010, Kerrie was in a serious accident where 75% of her right arm was separated from the joint. After six surgeries to repair and reconnect her arm, she found her body was rejecting the metal implanted. She has intense and constant pain. Her sleep is minimal. She hasn't been able to work or live a normal life since the accident.

And now her liver is shutting down from the rejection of the metal. This is a gravely serious condition. The metal is toxic to her body, and has been poisoning her for six years.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th August 2017), Hervé (8th August 2017), kerrielea (8th August 2017), Ol' Roy (9th August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (9th August 2017)

21. Link to Post #211
    Thanks

Total - $11,699

Quote Posted by Marianne

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (10th August 2017), Hervé (9th August 2017), kerrielea (9th August 2017), Ol' Roy (9th August 2017), Paul (9th August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (9th August 2017)

23. Link to Post #212
    Thanks

Total - $11,699

Quote Posted by Marianne

Last edited by RunningDeer; 21st September 2017 at 12:50.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Daughter of Time (23rd August 2017), DebJoy (25th August 2017), Debra (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd August 2017), Hervé (23rd August 2017), kerrielea (23rd August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (23rd August 2017)

25. Link to Post #213
    Thanks

Thank you so very much RunningDeer!

I am doing my daily physical therapy to stregthen my rotator cuff. My next one or two surgeries depend entirely on this.

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to kerrielea For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), BMJ (24th August 2017), Daughter of Time (23rd August 2017), DebJoy (25th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd August 2017), Hervé (23rd August 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (23rd August 2017), RunningDeer (23rd August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (23rd August 2017)

27. Link to Post #214
    Thanks

Quote Posted by kerrielea (here)
    Thank you so very much RunningDeer!

I am doing my daily physical therapy to stregthen my rotator cuff. My next one or two surgeries depend entirely on this.
    Please keep us posted on the upcoming dates. With You in spirit.

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), BMJ (24th August 2017), Daughter of Time (23rd August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd August 2017), Hervé (23rd August 2017), kerrielea (23rd August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (23rd August 2017)

29. Link to Post #215
    Thanks

I certainly will.

The biopicies for cancer came back negative. I should hear today if I have an infection (in the shoulder joint).

30. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to kerrielea For This Post:

avid (23rd August 2017), Bill Ryan (25th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), BMJ (24th August 2017), Daughter of Time (23rd August 2017), DebJoy (25th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Ernie Nemeth (23rd August 2017), Ewan (23rd August 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd August 2017), Hervé (23rd August 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (25th August 2017), RunningDeer (23rd August 2017), Star Tsar (23rd August 2017), Stephanie (23rd August 2017), Zampano (23rd August 2017)

31. Link to Post #216
    Thanks

I wanted to post an update for Kerrie. I talked with her today, and by the way, tomorrow 8/26 is her birthday so this update is a nice birthday present for her.

Finally the results are coming back. She is very grateful that there is not an infection, (which had to be cultured for over 3 weeks to find out) so her marching orders are to do 2 more months of physical therapy to strengthen her shoulder area, then the doctor will determine next steps which is probably going to be scheduling another surgery to do a partial shoulder replacement or a cap on the shoulder (a "hemi") versus a complete shoulder replacement which she doesn't want.

So it's looking like things are moving forward well although she is still dealing with the financial burden for all this, as well as the ongoing healing process that takes lot of determination and patience. Simply adjusting medications (which are essential for pain control and being able to sleep well) can be a challenge.

What a wonderful Avalon group here - she expressed so much appreciation and gratitude for all of you who have been continuing to cheer her on and support her in her recovery! Thanks team!

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

7alon (26th August 2017), Bill Ryan (25th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th August 2017), Hervé (25th August 2017), kerrielea (26th August 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (25th August 2017), RunningDeer (25th August 2017), Star Tsar (25th August 2017), Stephanie (25th August 2017)

33. Link to Post #217
    Thanks

Much appreciation for the update KerrieLea and DebJoy.
    Happy birthday, KerrieLea.

Quote Posted by DebJoy (here)
    I wanted to post an update for Kerrie. I talked with her today, and by the way, tomorrow 8/26 is her birthday so this update is a nice birthday present for her.

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

7alon (26th August 2017), Bill Ryan (25th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Daughter of Time (29th August 2017), DebJoy (25th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (26th August 2017), kerrielea (26th August 2017), Star Tsar (26th August 2017), Stephanie (25th August 2017)

35. Link to Post #218
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,325 times in 13,715 posts

Yeah HBD KL!
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

7alon (26th August 2017), Bill Ryan (26th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), DebJoy (26th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (26th August 2017), kerrielea (26th August 2017), RunningDeer (26th August 2017), Stephanie (26th August 2017)

37. Link to Post #219
    Thanks

Happy Birthday, Kerrie Lea! I'm praying for a full recovery for you! Hang in there and stay positive! God bless you!
    "All of life is made of Love, acts through Love, and is governed by Love." - Bunny

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bunny For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), DebJoy (26th August 2017), Debra (26th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (26th August 2017), kerrielea (26th August 2017), RunningDeer (26th August 2017), Stephanie (26th August 2017)

39. Link to Post #220
    Sweden Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,486 times in 2,116 posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3772.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	36046

Wishing you a love filled day and many more Kerrie Lea

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

7alon (26th August 2017), Bill Ryan (26th August 2017), Billy (26th August 2017), Daughter of Time (29th August 2017), DebJoy (26th August 2017), Flash (28th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (26th August 2017), kerrielea (26th August 2017), RunningDeer (26th August 2017), Stephanie (26th August 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 1 11 12 LastLast