+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has the Solstice changed Dates?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Has the Solstice changed Dates?

I don't think this belongs under this category, but couldn't find anything better, maybe Astronomy.

This is not my imagination, and I noticed it prior to the snow fall. I live just below the 49th parallel, sort of on the level with Paris. Also, the moon was quite new when I started noticing this.

I walk the dogs every evening (and an hour in the morning) just before or around dusk. In this neck of the woods, that is around 1600h. When I was walking at this time in mid-November, I needed a flashlight for the last bit of the walk so that I could let motorist see me. It was definitely quite dark by 1615h (dogs get twenty to thirty minute fast walk, like a sprint, in the evening).

Since the beginning of December, the sky is naturally light, although the sun has set, until well after 1600h and I can walk as late as 1630h without the need of a flashlight to alert motorists to our presence.

I know that about two weeks before the Winter Solstice, the evenings stop drawing in and the sun more or less sets at the same time every night. At the other end of the day, the sun continues to rise later and later. But it seems as if the reversal has already begun.

Has anybody else noticed this?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

ElfeMya (10th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (9th December 2016), toppy (9th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Has the Solstice changed Dates?

I haven't noticed that in Calgary, but I do note that atmospheric environment has an awful lot to do with the how long light lingers in the sky after the sun has set. You are probably in the lower mainland? If so, you guys don't actually get to see the sun that often in the winter.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

cursichella1 (11th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (9th December 2016), Gillian (9th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Gillian I've noticed change in my area ,Central Florida. I have been going to the same meeting once a month for the past 11 years. It was always dark at 7AM thru the winter months but for about a year or so it is completely light at 7AM. It now is light at a little after 6AM and the Sun is coming up in a different place in my yard. Seems the planet has shifted somehow.
    Last edited by Desire; 9th December 2016 at 21:31.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desire For This Post:

cursichella1 (11th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (9th December 2016), Gillian (9th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Here's a tool that may help ...

It has sunset and sunrise times from 1958. The times actually do change a little from decade to decade, but only by a minute here or there or so - nothing too significant. One can check this and track whether actually different from what is expected and/or check trends to see if changes have occurred.

If anyone finds any gross anomalies between this resource and reality, please do post your detailed findings here; Else, it is just speculation like we saw in 2012 with a changing solstice then too - it was all apparently apparitional ...

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

I will say though that "Universal" time, the "time" that governs the rate of sub atomic particles transition from existence to non-existence is changing -- it is increasing altogether (this has the effect of increasing the rate of change in our Universe)-- this does not mean that our time is actually speeding up or changing, because it is all relative to the rest of the Universe. That said humans can and have sensed that this "Universal time" is changing ... since this concept is completely "out of our reality" we may experience this sub conscious knowing in "within reality" experiences. Not sure if that explains it, but it might ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I have noticed that when I count seconds, and I used to be very good at it after lots of practice, I am out. In other words, the seconds that I check with Fort Collins on my shortwave radio, counting as I trained myself to count, are slower, maybe a second is about 80% of what it is when I count them.

But I am wondering if Solstice was actually sometime in November.
    Last edited by Gillian; 9th December 2016 at 23:39.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

DeDukshyn (10th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I have used that website in the past to check sunsets. I am also convinced that the sun used to set later around Summer Solstice than it has been for the last few years. I know we used to play games in a meadow until nearly 2200h with good natural light to help us. Now, we can't play outdoor games that need natural light after about 2130h. I have asked many people if they have noticed the difference. Sadly, too many are completely unaware of what is going on naturally, in nature and with nature. But there are some who agree with me that it used to stay light until at least 2200h.
    Last edited by Gillian; 9th December 2016 at 23:40.

+ Reply to Thread