+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it time to start considering "Lifeboat Communities"?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Is it time to start considering "Lifeboat Communities"?

There are so many challenges and changes lately politically and with population growth escalating, global warming, threats of plagues and catastrophes, etc. that I wonder if it isn't worth considering a survival strategy for small communities in the event of a worst case survival scenario.

If a small community agreed to relocate before or after a catastrophic failure of society by an unknown event, what could they expect their life to be like? If we had to "start over", how would we organize ourselves, govern ourselves? What would our immediate and long term goals be? Can we have a society not based upon monetary interests? How would the resources be shared? Where would be a good meeting place post-apocalypse? What would you want to salvage from our current society? What would you want to omit from a new society?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to i/o For This Post:

Baby Steps (10th December 2016), Fanna (28th May 2017), Fellow Aspirant (10th December 2016), gaiagirl (10th December 2016), Gillian (9th December 2016), Lifebringer (9th December 2016), Nasu (13th December 2016), onawah (10th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016), Whiskey_Mystic (9th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,259 times in 1,414 posts

Default Re: Is it time to start considering "Lifeboat Communities"?

The very biggest concerns in a post apocalyptic environment has to be water, food, shelter and security. These have always been the top priorities in survival mode lifestyles.

Water: access to clean drinking water, or a purifying process needs to be established. For instance, one can purify water by boiling it and collecting the steam. Also, i hear that charcoal purifies too.

Food: need to be able to grow edible plants. Seeds are needed for this.

Shelter: logs and clay can suffice for this. Also, cutting tools are needed. This assumes you have trees in your locality. Clothing is also a shelter issue which may require trapping animals if no sheep are present locally.

Security: have to atleast be able to fend off wild animals. Spears and bow/arrows are good for this. Some people stockpile guns and ammo, but eventually that runs out.

All the other issues are fluff. If the community has enough surplus to support education, or inter-community communicatiion, these are good but are luxuries that can be pursued when survival issues have been dealt with.

To be in or near a potential survival community one needs land/dwelling in an area that could suit.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

fourty-two (13th December 2016), i/o (10th December 2016), Nasu (13th December 2016), onawah (10th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (10th December 2016), gaiagirl (10th December 2016), i/o (10th December 2016), Justplain (10th December 2016), Nasu (13th December 2016), onawah (10th December 2016), Vward (17th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,263 times in 2,725 posts

Survival? Not again.
    Most of the people in the current society dont have a life and is merely surviving. Perhaps when TSHTF, we will be living on a day to day basis and have a life, not surviving.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Gillian (10th December 2016), i/o (10th December 2016), Nasu (13th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,961 times in 900 posts

'lifeboat' is a really suitable term here since we may well find ourselves living on giant rafts when the current interglacial warm period is finally finished
    we will get 7 billion people piling next to the equator....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

i/o (11th December 2016), Lifebringer (10th December 2016), Nasu (13th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

I've been thinking pontoon or fast speed boat, but then wouldn't "roamers" steal boats to rob for food?
    Best lay low n wait for my guides directions, but it doesn't hurt to stock up on a water travel devices.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

i/o (10th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

These are excellent points to consider. It hard to wrap my head around what would be needed. I'd like to stock a bug-out backpack in the event of, so your items are on my list now. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Thanks Justplain.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Great link. Thanks, The Freedom Train.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i/o For This Post:

Nasu (13th December 2016), The Freedom Train (10th December 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

Quote Posted by i/o (here)
    Great link. Thanks, The Freedom Train.
    You are welcome!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Nasu (13th December 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

How about if Border Patrol gets beefed up in numbers to get the job done. How about the Police start arresting for the crimes already in law. How about INS arrest and jail illegals as soon as they find them. How about we build more jails and increase the times for violent and drug crimes. In other words: How about doing things right again. And then add to the law that if an illegal has a baby in the U.S. that that child is also still illegal. That is vitally necessary to stop pregnant women crossing the border because there is a perverse incentive to do so.

+ Reply to Thread