1. Link to Post #581
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,560 times in 465 posts

Default Re: Trump is NOT the answer

Regulatory Capture of the EPA Trump Administration

Level of EPA industry influence under Trump is unprecedented
    https://thinkprogress.org/study-high...-73ac6ca863b6/

Scott Pruitt, Andrew Wheeler, and Regulatory Capture at the EPA Columbia University

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/0...y-capture-epa/

New Study: The Environmental Protection Agency in the Early Trump Administration: Prelude to Regulatory Capture
    UC Santa Cruz

https://sociology.ucsc.edu/news-even...mate-news.html

In Trump's Government, The 'Regulated Have Become The Regulators' npr

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/16/54387...the-regulators

I didn't like Obama using Monsanto guys in the EPA but its getting worse.
    I care about the food we eat, the air we breath, the water we drink no matter who is in power

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

AutumnW (2nd October 2018), Franny (2nd October 2018), onawah (2nd October 2018)

3. Link to Post #582
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 128,856 times in 20,633 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Easier to do when we have dynasties of politicians (which is not Trump case here, but Trudeau's case, the Clintons, the Bushes, and more.
    ... Trump is not part of dynasty ... unless perhaps you're one of those suspecting that JFK Jr is still alive, and working with Trump. In that case, Trump might be seen as a hired hand of the Kennedy dynasty.

4. Link to Post #583
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Easier to do when we have dynasties of politicians (which is not Trump case here, but Trudeau's case, the Clintons, the Bushes, and more.
    ... Trump is not part of dynasty ... unless perhaps you're one of those suspecting that JFK Jr is still alive, and working with Trump. In that case, Trump might be seen as a hired hand of the Kennedy dynasty.
    Biggest nonsense I've ever heard.

Besides Paul......... you are saying he is the answer.
    HELLO?.. ...... I really think your position on all the threads are not neutral...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Paul (2nd October 2018)

6. Link to Post #584
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,683 times in 8,856 posts

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    Biggest nonsense I've ever heard.

HELLO?.. ...... I really think your position on all the threads are not neutral...
    NOOOOOOO, I AM SAYING THE CONTRARY, HE IS FAR FROM THE ANSWER. (screaming because I want to be heard and the mistake corrected, not screaming at you personally ichingcarpenter)

i must not have expressed myself correctly, I am going to correct my post.

All I said about dynasties is that they are groomed almost before birth, while a guy like Trump has to be groomed as an adult or young fellow, a little harder to do, but still quite done all over the world.
    Last edited by Flash; 1st October 2018 at 23:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Paul (2nd October 2018)

8. Link to Post #585
    Thanks

I really think your position on all the threads are not neutral...
    I am not neutral in the topical content of my posts.

I endeavor to be neutral in my administrative actions.

My current, quite non-neutral, position is that Trump is part of answer to some of our problems, but that my instincts warn me that he and the powers behind him will quite likely be the primary creators of a different variety of problems, that I don't yet foresee as well.

Thus ... I try to stay on guard and to pay some attention to those who are and will be more likely to notice such problems first, before I would, given my particular biases.
    Last edited by Paul; 2nd October 2018 at 00:14.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2018), ClearWater (2nd October 2018), Deux Corbeaux (2nd October 2018), Helene West (2nd October 2018)

10. Link to Post #586
    Thanks

''Thus ... I try to stay on guard and to pay some attention to those who are and will be more likely to notice such problems first, before I would, given my particular biases.''

Your biases are apparent

No comment on his corporate capture of the EPA?

Don't you have a thread you can post on..... since you think Trump is the answer.

OH wait there is
    Last edited by ichingcarpenter; 2nd October 2018 at 00:30.

11. Link to Post #587
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,134 times in 1,822 posts

Paul, I feel a bit the same way. I hope for the best but am prepared for the worst. The most dire scenario could turn the U.S into a smokestack Hell, (as Onawah has taken pains to describe. A belated thank you to you, Onawah!) presided over by Christian fundamentalist Orks.

The prison system, partnered with oligopolies and administered by a harsh theocratic state could completely engulf and potentiate industrial expansion.

It could, in effect, become against the law to be poor -- the lives blacks have been enduring for decades could very well be experienced by vast numbers of whites, all under the religious rubric of Christian fascist sentiments. There will be a profit incentive there, acting as a strong motivator.

What should be taken into account by those who are anti Trump, is Trump is responding to an anguish, and purposeless that runs very deep, to the point that it poses an enormous existential threat, through drug addiction, surely a disease of despair.

Have a heart for those living in the rust belt and Southern states. Try to experience through imagination what that must be like.

And those who are pro-Trump, understand that those who are not, are concerned about how this plays out, based partly on historic parallels. And they are not just worried for themselves, most are worried for the world, in general.
    Last edited by AutumnW; 2nd October 2018 at 00:41.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2018), Deux Corbeaux (2nd October 2018), onawah (2nd October 2018), Paul (2nd October 2018)

13. Link to Post #588
    Thanks

I know that I have not looked into that. I'm sure I don't have any particular insight or information on that.

I presume that sometimes "things are not what they seem", hence that some of what I think I like about Trump, and some of what I think I don't like, is based on my misunderstandings and ignorance.

I don't condemn everything a person or group does because some of what they do or do not do is (or appears to be) antithetical to my principles. Few if any would pass that test.

In other words:
    1. Just because I support an action A of some person or group does not mean that I consider myself to be a hypocrite because that person has done some other action B that I don't support or would not support if I thought about it.
    2. Figuring out what a major public figure or group is actually doing or not doing, as opposed to how it is presented, is a most difficult and error prone endeavor.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    And those who are pro-Trump, understand that those who are not, are concerned about how this plays out, based partly on historic parallels. And they are not just worried for themselves, most are worried for the world, in general.
    Yes .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Post:

DNA (2nd October 2018), onawah (2nd October 2018)

15. Link to Post #589
    Thanks

Masterful passive aggressive behavior...... I mean that in as a compliment............NOW back on topic........ what is the topic Mr. Adm?

16. Link to Post #590
    Thanks

... what is the topic Mr. Adm?
    As I already just stated, I don't have any particular insight or information on that.

I recommend you ask that question of those whom you do think belong on this thread, or who might have something useful to say here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul For This Post:

onawah (2nd October 2018)

18. Link to Post #591
    Thanks

I thought it was if I read this right the topic is

Trump is NOT the answer

But you can't read? Or are playing a passive aggressive game?

I recommend you stop your posting and get back on topic

19. Link to Post #592
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

IChing, I read all your posts whenever I come across them and feel a kinship with you. But on the matter of who posts here I think it's best to keep it open to all perspectives as long as they aren't hectoring, screaming in caps and or beating a dead horse!

So far we have done pretty well considering the subject matter! With respect...AutumnW

20. Link to Post #593
    Thanks

Autumn I don't like bullies who are in position of power like Trump and change the subject for their own agenda...... do YOU?

21. Link to Post #594
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I don't like bullies and more to the point they are usually scared shirtless of me

This isn't a confrontational question but sincere curiosity. Could you please point me to the post that indicates bullying in a pm? Thanks Dude!

22. Link to Post #595
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,715 times in 9,343 posts

Thanks Autumn. In my view, all we were given with Trump was the lesser evil, and as I've said before, that isn't really a choice; imho it's all been managed, making it appear as a kind of coup, very cleverly and very much behind the scenes.
    I'm not certain what your original intention was in starting this thread, but the purpose I have put it to, when I've had the stomach for it, is to present evidence about things the Trump Admin (not necessarily Trump himself, but those in his Admin), which do not serve us.
    Because I have long been an environmental activist, much of what I have posted here has been about that.
    Other issues I stay informed on are the rights of indigenous people in the US and the welfare of children and seniors.
    There are among the things that really matter which are not receiving enough attention precisely because of the political circus, and if nothing else, someone should be keeping track.
    I avoid political arguments, and I hope that this thread will not be shanghaied again by that subterfuge.
    Avalon recently fell into a very deep hole for far too long because of political arguments and opinions , which is not constructive and a big waste of time, imho.
    Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

Paul, I feel a bit the same way. I hope for the best but am prepared for the worst. The most dire scenario could turn the U.S into a smokestack Hell, (as Onawah has taken pains to describe. A belated thank you to you, Onawah!) presided over by Christian fundamentalist Orks.

The prison system, partnered with oligopolies and administered by a harsh theocratic state could completely engulf and potentiate industrial expansion.

It could, in effect, become against the law to be poor -- the lives blacks have been enduring for decades could very well be experienced by vast numbers of whites, all under the religious rubric of Christian fascist sentiments. There will be a profit incentive there, acting as a strong motivator.

What should be taken into account by those who are anti Trump, is Trump is responding to an anguish, and purposeless that runs very deep, to the point that it poses an enormous existential threat, through drug addiction, surely a disease of despair.

Have a heart for those living in the rust belt and Southern states. Try to experience through imagination what that must be like.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2018)

24. Link to Post #596
    Thanks

Andrew Saul is Unfit to Lead the Social Security Administration
    October 1st, 2018

https://www.socialsecurityworks.org/...dministration/

(Washington, DC) — "The following is a statement from Alex Lawson, Executive Director of Social Security Works, in anticipation of tomorrow’s Senate Finance Committee hearing on Donald Trump’s nomination of Andrew M. Saul for Commissioner Of Social Security:

“Like so many of Donald Trump’s nominees, Andrew Saul is utterly unqualified for the position to which he has been nominated. He has no background in Social Security whatsoever.

He did, however, serve on the board of the right-wing Manhattan Institute which has consistently been extremely hostile to Social Security, including publishing articles advocating for drastic cuts to benefits.

Furthermore, Saul has a track record of deeply concerning personal conduct. In November 2007, Saul was forced to drop out of the race for a New York Congressional seat due to unethical campaign contributions. In April 2012, Saul tried to lie “his way out of a trespassing rap by falsely identifying himself as a police commissioner.”

Saul graduated from The Wharton School in 1968, the same year as Donald Trump. Like Trump and many of Trump’s appointees, including Brett Kavanaugh, Saul appears to believe that his wealth and privilege should make him above the law.

This is not a man who should be in charge of Social Security, a program that is an essential lifeline for over 60 million Americans and their families. A vote for Andrew Saul is a vote against Social Security. The Senate Finance Committee must reject this nomination.”

Further Reading:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzS...5c1VoWlBF/view
    "September 25, 2018
    The Honorable Orrin Hatch, Chairman U.S Senate Committee on Finance Washington, D.C. 20510
    The Honorable Ron Wyden, Ranking Member U.S. Senate Committee on Finance Washington, D.C. 20510
    Dear Chairman Hatch and Ranking Member Wyden,
    The Strengthen Social Security Coalition consists of over 350 national and state organizations, representing over 50 million Americans, including seniors, women, people with disabilities, workers, people of color, and veterans. The coalition is strongly opposed to President Trump’s nominee, Mr. Andrew M. Saul, of New York, to be the next commissioner of the Social Security Administration (SSA). Given our strong objections, the coalition is particularly concerned that the Senate is considering confirming him not just for the remainder of the current term, but for a new six-year term, following that.
    The commissioner of the Social Security Administration must have deep knowledge of Social Security, a program which is vitally important but extremely complicated. In addition, the commissioner must have a deep and clear understanding of the challenges facing SSA. Mr. Saul has no previous work experience related to Social Security or SSA. While the experience Mr. Saul gained from his time working on the federal thrift savings plan (TSP) was undoubtedly valuable, it has little value to helping him run the Social Security system, unless he seeks to privatize the program.
    The Social Security Administration is facing numerous challenges including long waits at field offices, on the 1-800 number, and, most distressingly, for final determinations for those whose work has been ended as the result of serious and permanent disability. The head of this crucial agency should be someone who is up to speed, not someone who will require on-the-job training. New claims representatives are trained for over a year before they are ready to help the public; a commissioner should have much more experience, training, and expertise before taking control of such a large, vital agency.
    Further, the person serving as SSA commissioner, a position of public trust, should be of the highest ethical standing. In November 2007, Mr. Saul was forced to drop out of the race for a New York Congressional seat after the New York Times uncovered questionable contributions to his campaign. At the time of his campaign, Mr. Saul served as a state officer, as the vice chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). He was also a presidential appointee, serving as the chairman of the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board. New York laws prohibit members of boards, like the MTA, from taking donations from companies or individuals seeking to do business with their agency. Mr. Saul’s campaign received donations from heads of Vornado Realty Trust and Tishman Speyer Properties, development companies that submitted bids with the MTA soon after their leadership donations. In addition to a state level violation, Mr. Saul’s receipt of donation is a direct violation of the federal Hatch Act, which forbids federal employees from soliciting campaign contributions.
    Further, in 2012, Mr. Saul was riding his bike in his neighborhood in New York and directly disobeyed the instruction of a law enforcement officer who told him not to enter a restricted area. Instead of obeying the law, he lied about his identity to the police officer. (From) an investigation of the incident by the Bedford Police.
    Strengthen Social Security Coalition • 1440 G Street, NW • Washington, DC 20005
    Last edited by onawah; 2nd October 2018 at 03:28.

25. Link to Post #597
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,759 times in 3,642 posts

I know that I have not looked into that. I'm sure I don't have any particular insight or information on that.

I presume that sometimes "things are not what they seem", hence that some of what I think I like about Trump, and some of what I think I don't like, is based on my misunderstandings and ignorance.

I don't condemn everything a person or group does because some of what they do or do not do is (or appears to be) antithetical to my principles. Few if any would pass that test.

In other words:
    1. Just because I support an action A of some person or group does not mean that I consider myself to be a hypocrite because that person has done some other action B that I don't support or would not support if I thought about it.
    2. Figuring out what a major public figure or group is actually doing or not doing, as opposed to how it is presented, is a most difficult and error prone endeavor.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Yes .

Amazing post.

Your patience and ability to answer questions asked in an attacking manner is pretty awesome.

I pray to God that I can be imbued with such patience and practical wisdom some day.
    As the years roll by Paul I become more and more impressed with you.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Debra (2nd October 2018)

27. Link to Post #598
    Thanks

From EPA Watch and Lakota People's Law Project"
    EPA Wants Coal Plants to Emit MORE Toxic Mercury
    (These articles are all quite recent, apparently demonstrating that it hasn't been a matter of time before Trump corrected his destructive course re the environment, it has been a matter of intention.)

"The Trump administration is proposing to significantly weaken a rule that limits the amount of mercury and other toxic emissions from coal plants, the New York Times reported on Sunday.

Andrew Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist and acting administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has drafted a plan that would undermine the 2011 Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) and has sent the proposal to the White House Office of Management and Budget, according to the Washington Post.

Burning coal releases harmful byproducts such as mercury, which can pollute the environment and harm the nervous systems of children and fetuses.

Senator Tom Carper

@SenatorCarper
    Is this really the way @realDonaldTrump's administration intends to celebrate #NationalChildHealthDay?

Scrapping the rule that keeps mercury – a known neurotoxin – from polluting our environment and permanently affecting our young, developing children is a new low

Brady Dennis

@brady_dennis
    In rollback of @EPA mercury rule, Trump administration could revamp how the government values human health. w/@eilperin https://wapo.st/2Rf1035

11:02 AM - Oct 1, 2018

The Obama-era standard found between $4 million to $6 million in health benefits from mercury reduction alone, but also justified the regulation for its "co-benefits" of reducing pollution of soot and nitrogen oxide from power plants. In all, the rule's total value was estimated to save between $37 billion to $90 billion each year due to air quality improvements, as well as preventing up to 11,000 premature deaths, 4,700 heart attacks and 130,000 asthma attacks every year, the previous administration said then.

The regulation has had a contentious and litigious history, but in 2015 the Supreme Court upheld the rule and the utility industry has complied with the standards ever since. However, installing mercury pollution scrubbers has cost the sector $9.6 billion a year, "making it the most expensive clean air regulation ever put forth by the federal government," the New York Times wrote.

Wheeler's proposal, according to the Times, does not eliminate MATS but would direct the EPA to exclude the "co-benefits" when considering the economic impact of a regulation.

EPA spokesman John Konkus explained to the Post that "the MATS Rule was an egregious example of the Obama administration's indifference toward required cost benefit analysis."

But John Walke, Clean Air director at the Natural Resources Defense Council called the move a "sweeping attack on considering the benefits of cutting hazardous pollution from coal plants."

"It's the first legal step toward eliminating mercury, lead and other dangerous pollution standards entirely," he said in a statement received by EcoWatch. "And what the Trump EPA is pursuing—the fraudulent denial of real-world benefits from clean air and climate safeguards—is the unholy grail of the polluting industry and its lobbyists for decades."

The Sierra Club noted that Wheeler's proposal directly benefits one of his former clients, coal company Murray Energy, as well as EPA's assistant administrator William Wehrum, a former coal industry lawyer.

"If finalized, this shameful plan would undermine standards that have already been widely implemented, exposing our kids to more toxic mercury and arsenic just so Andrew Wheeler and Bill Wehrum can appease a handful of their former clients in the coal industry," Mary Anne Hitt, senior director of Sierra Club's Beyond Coal campaign, said in a press release. "This disgraceful move by Wheeler and Wehrum directly endangers the health of our kids and we will do everything we can to stop it."

RELATED ARTICLES AROUND THE WEB
    Trump Power Plant Plan Will Significantly Increase CO2 Pollution ›
    https://www.ecowatch.com/trump-power...597454144.html
    How Trump's rules on coal-fired power plants differ from Obama's ... ›
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ho...er-from-obamas
    Trump's plan for coal plants: key takeaways about the EPA proposal ›
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...al/1052390002/
    Last edited by onawah; 2nd October 2018 at 03:39.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Franny (2nd October 2018)

29. Link to Post #599
    Thanks

Lakota People's Law Project
    9/30/18
    "TransCanada has begun construction of the Keystone XL pipeline near the Rosebud Reservation, just a week after the Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) and the Fort Belknap Indian Community (Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Gros Ventre (Aaniiih) Tribes) sued the Trump Administration for its illegal approval of the pipeline.
    TransCanada has begun construction of the Keystone XL pipeline near the Rosebud Reservation, just a week after the Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) and the Fort Belknap Indian Community (Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Gros Ventre (Aaniiih) Tribes) sued the Trump Administration for its illegal approval of the pipeline.

Bulldozers were seen this week grading the land in Tripp County, South Dakota, adjacent to Rosebud lands. Construction has begun despite the fact that there are three lawsuits currently going on. The one filed by Rosebud Sioux last week citDonate Now buttones the fact that the Trump Administration has not undertaken any analysis of: trust obligations, the potential impact on tribal hunting and fishing rights, the potential impacts on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s unique water system, the potential impact of spills on tribal citizens, or the potential impact on cultural sites in the path of the pipeline. This is in violation of federal law.

“The United States is allowing TransCanada to begin construction even though there has been no review of our treaty rights, hunting and fishing rights, or the impacts to our people, our water, or our environment,” President Rodney M. Bordeaux of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. “We will fight to ensure that federal law is followed.” Read the full letter from President Bordeaux.

The Rosebud Sioux Tribe and the Fort Belknap Indian Community intend to move ahead with their claims against the United States and to demand that the United States honor its legal obligations."

Learn more about the Keystone XL Pipeline and the tribes’ opposition.
    https://www.narf.org/cases/keystone/
    "KEYSTONE XL PIPELINE
    Attorney: Natalie A. Landreth, Matthew L. Campbell, Wesley James Furlong, Dan Lewerenz

The Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) and the Fort Belknap Indian Community (Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Gros Ventre (Aaniiih) Tribes) in coordination with their counsel, the Native American Rights Fund, on September 10, 2018, sued the Trump Administration for numerous violations of the law in the Keystone XL pipeline permitting process. The Tribes are asking the court to rescind the illegal issuance of the Keystone XL pipeline presidential permit.

Case Updates
    September 26, 2018:

TransCanada has begun construction of the Keystone XL pipeline near the Rosebud Reservation, just a week after the Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) and the Fort Belknap Indian Community (Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Gros Ventre (Aaniiih) Tribes) sued the Trump Administration for its illegal approval of the pipeline.

Bulldozers were seen this week grading the land in Tripp County, South Dakota, adjacent to Rosebud lands. Construction has begun despite the fact that there are three lawsuits currently going on. The one filed by Rosebud Sioux last week cites the fact that the Trump Administration has not undertaken any analysis of: trust obligations, the potential impact on tribal hunting and fishing rights, the potential impacts on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s unique water system, the potential impact of spills on tribal citizens, or the potential impact on cultural sites in the path of the pipeline. This is in violation of federal law.
    Screenshot of first page of Bordeaux Letter, Click to download PDF
    “The United States is allowing TransCanada to begin construction even though there has been no review of our treaty rights, hunting and fishing rights, or the impacts to our people, our water, or our environment,” President Rodney M. Bordeaux of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. “We will fight to ensure that federal law is followed.”

Read the full letter from President Bordeaux:

The Rosebud Sioux Tribe and the Fort Belknap Indian Community intend to move ahead with their claims against the United States and to demand that the United States honor its legal obligations.

September 10, 2018:

The Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) and the Fort Belknap Indian Community (Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Gros Ventre (Aaniiih) Tribes) in coordination with their counsel, the Native American Rights Fund, on September 10, 2018, sued the Trump Administration in the U.S. District Court for the District of Montana, Great Falls Division, for numerous violations of the law in the Keystone XL pipeline permitting process. The Tribes are asking the court to declare the review process in violation of the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and to rescind the illegal issuance of the Keystone XL pipeline presidential permit.

On March 23, 2017, the U.S. Department of State granted TransCanada’s permit application and issued it a presidential permit to construct and operate the Keystone XL Pipeline. This decision reversed two previous administrative decisions and was done without any public comment or environmental analysis. The permitting process was completed only 56 days after TransCanada submitted its application for the third time. The State Department provided no explanation in the 2017 decision for its contradictory factual finding; instead, it simply disregarded its previous factual findings and replaced them with a new one. Stop KXL buttonThe reversal came as no surprise. According to a 2015 personal public financial disclosure report filed with the Federal Election Commission, then-candidate Trump held between $250,000 and $500,000 worth of stock in TransCanada Pipelines, Ltd. NARF Staff Attorney Natalie Landreth explains, “President Trump permitted the Keystone XL pipeline because he wanted to. It was a political step, having nothing to do with what the law actually requires. NARF is honored to represent the Rosebud Sioux and Fort Belknap Tribes to fully enforce the laws and fight this illegal pipeline.”

Cowgirl walking horse at sunrise.
    Woman and horse at Ft. Belknap. Photo by Todd Klassy. *

Snaking its way from Alberta to Nebraska, the pipeline would cross the United States-Canada border in Philips County, Montana, directly adjacent to Blaine County and the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation. The pipeline would cross less than 100 miles from the headquarters of the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation and run directly through sacred and historic sites as well as the ancestral lands of the Gros Ventre and Assiniboine Tribes. In South Dakota, the pipeline would cross through Tripp County, just miles from the boundaries of the Rosebud Indian Reservation and within yards of Rosebud’s trust lands and tribal members’ allotments. These lands are well within the area of impact for even a small rupture and spill. There are countless historical, cultural, and religious sites in the planned path of the pipeline that are at risk of destruction, both by the pipeline’s construction and by the threat of inevitable ruptures and spills if the pipeline becomes operational. Additionally, the Rosebud Sioux Tribe operates its own water delivery system, which is part of the Mni Wiconi Rural Water Supply Project. The pipeline would cross the two sources of water for the Mni Wiconi Project.

Despite all of these facts, throughout the permitting process, there was no analysis of trust obligations, no analysis of treaty rights, no analysis of the potential impact on hunting and fishing rights, no analysis of potential impacts on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s unique water system, no analysis of the potential impact of spills on tribal citizens, and no analysis of the potential impact on cultural sites in the path of the pipeline, which is in violation of the NEPA and the NHPA.

November 2017:

President William Kindle of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe (Sicangu Lakota Oyate) promised continued vigilance in light of the Nebraska Public Service Commission’s decision today to permit TransCanada Corp.’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline to cross that state’s lands. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has retained the Native American Rights Fund (NARF) to represent its interests with regard to the Keystone XL pipeline.

The pipeline’s proposed route crosses through traditional Lakota homelands and treaty territories, and will affect not only the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, but also Native Nations in Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska. It also endangers the Ogallala Aquifer, which supplies water for Native and non-Native users’ residential and agricultural needs on the High Plains in eight states.

“The land, water, tribal sovereignty, and governmental services were not ‘given’ to us in those treaties,” President Kindle said. “They were bargained for with the blood of our ancestors. We will not dishonor our relatives and unnecessarily endanger our health, safety, and wellbeing. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe will take any and all necessary steps, up to and including litigation, to protect our people, our land and water, and our cultural and historic resources.”

“As we have seen, spills from such projects can be catastrophic,” said NARF Staff Attorney Matt Campbell. “The Rosebud Sioux Tribe—just like South Dakota, Nebraska, and Montana—has a duty to protect the health and welfare

of its citizens. NARF will help the Tribe make sure it has considered all of its options for ensuring the safety of the Tribe’s citizens, territory, and resources.”

“This is their land, their water,” said NARF Staff Attorney Natalie Landreth. “They have laws protecting their water and those laws must be respected. Keystone XL will need permission from the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, so this is not over.”

See the open letter from President Kindle for more information on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s position.
    https://www.narf.org/wordpress/wp-co...e-keystone.pdf

A History of the Keystone Pipeline
    Map of Keystone Pipeline Route
    Map by Meclee – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

The Keystone XL (KXL) Pipeline is the proposed Phase 4 of the Keystone Pipeline system, which already is online with a capacity to carry more than 500,000 barrels per day. The XL stands for “export limited.” If completed, KXL would add another 510,000 barrels of capacity.

Phase 1 of the Keystone Pipeline was permitted in March 2008. Phase 2 and 3 did not require Presidential Permits and were built over several years starting in 2010. Because it crosses the U.S.-Canada border, Phase 4 does require a Presidential Permit; however, it has been met with opposition since its initial proposal. A timeline of the Keystone Pipeline project is below.

1851, 1855, 1868
    Tribes and the United States government sign Treaties of Fort Laramie establishing respective territories.

February: TransCanada Corporation proposes the Keystone Pipeline project.

September: Canada’s National Energy Board approves the Canadian section.

January: ConocoPhillips acquires a 50% stake in the project.

March: The U.S. Department of State issues a Presidential Permit authorizing Keystone facilities at the U.S.-Canada border.

September: TransCanada and ConocoPhillips file an application for the Keystone XL Phase 4 extension.

Pipeline representatives start visiting landowners potentially affected by Keystone XL. Opposition emerges in Nebraska.

June: TransCanada announces it will buy ConocoPhillips’ stake in Keystone.

March: Canada’s National Energy Board approves the Canadian section of the Keystone XL.

June: Phase 1 of the Keystone Pipeline goes online. It runs from Hardisty, Alberta, to Patoka, Illinois.

June-July: Increased opposition to Keystone XL includes legislators and scientists speaking out against the project; the Environmental Protection Agency questions the need for the pipeline extension.

July: The State Department extends its review of Keystone, saying they need more time for review before a final environmental impact assessment can be released.

February : The Keystone-Cushing Phase 2 of the pipeline goes online. It connects Steele City, Nebraska, to Cushing, Oklahoma.

August: The State Department releases its final environmental assessment that the pipeline would have a limited environmental impact.

August-September: Keystone XL protesters organize two weeks of civil disobedience at the White House. Police arrest approximately one thousand people.

December: U.S. legislators pass a bill with a provision saying President Barack Obama must make a decision on the pipeline’s future in the next 60 days.

January: Obama rejects the Keystone Pipeline, saying the December bill did not allow enough time to review the new route. Obama says TransCanada is free to submit another application.

February: TransCanada announces it will build Phase 3 of the Keystone Pipeline as a separate project that is not subject to presidential permission, since it does not cross an international border.

April: TransCanada submits a new route to officials in Nebraska for approval.

May: TransCanada files a new application with the State Department for the northern part of Keystone XL.

January: Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman approves the proposed route for Keystone XL, sending the project back to the State Department for review. Pipeline opponents file a lawsuit against the Nebraska government claiming the state law used to review the new route is unconstitutional.

January: The Cushing MarketLink Phase 3a pipeline goes online. It connects Cushing, Oklahoma, to Port Arthur, Texas. Phase 3b is added later, connecting the pipeline from Port Arthur to Houston, Texas.

February: A Nebraska judge rules that the law that allowed the governor to approve Keystone XL over the objections of landowners was unconstitutional. Nebraska appeals.

April: The State Department suspends the regulatory process indefinitely, citing uncertainty about the court case in Nebraska.

November: TransCanada says the costs of Keystone XL have grown to US$8 billion from US$5.4 billion. Elections turn control of the U.S. Congress over to Republicans, who pledge to move forward on Keystone XL.

January: The Nebraska Supreme Court narrowly strikes down the lower-court decision, ruling that the governor’s actions were constitutional. The U.S. Senate approves a bill to build Keystone XL.

February: Obama vetoes the bill.

November: The Obama administration rejects TransCanada’s application to build the Keystone XL pipeline.

November: Trump elected president.

January: Trump signs a presidential memorandum inviting TransCanada to resubmit their application for a Presidential Permit and directing the Secretary of State, Department of the Interior, and Department of the Army to fast-track the decision. He also signs an order requiring pipelines in the United States to be built with U.S. steel.

March: The Trump White House exempts the Keystone Pipeline from the requirement to use U.S. steel.

September: The Rosebud Sioux Tribe and the Fort Belknap Indian Community, in coordination with their counsel, the Native American Rights Fund, on September 10, 2018, sued the Trump Administration in the U.S. District Court for the District of MT for numerous violations of the law in the Keystone XL pipeline permitting process."

30. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Franny (2nd October 2018)

31. Link to Post #600
    Thanks

Scott Pruitt and Brett Kavanaugh Have Something in Common
    From Environmental Working Group by Scott Faber, Vice President of Government Affairs
    MONDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2018

( Beginning this post with the following comment from Autumn, which I wholeheartedly echo:
    I will add that are A LOT of hyperlinks in this article (I've included just a FEW) offering well-documented proof of all assertions, particularly Pruitt's and Kavanaugh's voting records, as you will see if you go to the links.)

"It’s not just that they both believe that the Environmental Protection Agency lacks the power to regulate greenhouse gases. Or that the EPA lacks the power to regulate air pollution that starts in one state and ends in another. Or that EPA can ignore the “co-benefits” of regulating mercury pollution from coal plants. Or even that both think it’s just fine to dump mine waste into streams.

It’s that they both lied about their environmental records when seeking Senate confirmation.

Pruitt, the infamous former EPA administrator forced in July to resign by multiple scandals, lied over and over again to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. He lied about everything from his efforts to weaken Illinois River water quality standards to his role in an Oklahoma egg farm. He even lied about whether or not he had weighed in on mercury pollution regulations. He said he had not, but two filings bore his name. Pruitt’s lies were so bold, EWG asked the Department of Justice to investigate. https://cdn.ewg.org/sites/default/fi...206.1485979205

Brett Kavanaugh’s lies to the Senate Judiciary Committee, during hearings on his Supreme Court nomination, are even bolder.

Kavanaugh testified that as a federal appeals court judge he ruled for the environment in “many” cases. The truth is that in 16 out of 18 cases he ruled for more air and water pollution, and in 17 out of 18 cases he ruled for less protection for endangered species.

Kavanaugh ruled that it’s OK for factory farms to pollute the air of their neighbors and that it’s OK to dump hazardous waste. When Pruitt sought to delay rules to reduce methane emissions, Kavanaugh sided with polluters. When the EPA sought to replace fluorinated chemicals known as HFCs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Kavanaugh complained that the proposed rule pulled the rug out from under polluters – even though replacement chemicals are readily available.
    https://www.nrdc.org/experts/lissa-l...-good-business

In fact, few judges have as consistently ruled for polluters and against public health. But when asked about his environmental record, Kavanaugh told the Judiciary Committee that he had ruled in favor of the environment in a “large number” of cases.
    https://www.ewg.org/news-and-analysi...h#.W7LyeWhKgdW
    In particular, Kavanaugh cited a case related to air emissions from cement plants. In reality, Kavanaugh ruled against cleaner air in the case.

A lawyer for the Natural Resources Defense Council, who represented environmental groups in that case, said Kavanaugh not only ruled for more air pollution from cement plants. He also set a dangerous precedent by ruling that the federal Clean Air Act did not include an important “anti-backsliding” provision.
    https://twitter.com/jwalkenrdc/statu...73563962486789
    The other cases Kavanaugh cited were decided on procedural, not substantive, matters. Though he once ruled that a case challenging climate rules was premature, he has since repeatedly ruled that EPA lacks the legal authority to regulate greenhouse gas emissions.

Kavanaugh’s penchant for lying before the Senate is not limited to his record on the environment.

It also seems clear that he lied to the Senate about his roles, during his time in the George W. Bush administration, that he played in the judicial nominations of William Pryor and William Pickering, in the warrantless wiretapping program and in the detainee program.

He also misled the Senate about his role in the Starr investigation of President Clinton. His testimony last week was also filled with misleading statements.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/28/u...act-check.html
    An editorial in The Boston Globe put it bluntly: “Brett Kavanaugh’s a liar. He lies about little things. He lies about big things. He lies under oath.”

That may not matter to President Trump, who The Washington Post says has made “more than 5,000 false or misleading claims.” But it matters to the American people, and it should matter to the senators whose vote could put him on the Supreme Court."

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (2nd October 2018), Franny (2nd October 2018), Zanshin (2nd October 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst 1 20 30 40 47 LastLast