+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst 1 38 48 58 92 LastLast

Thread: Trump is NOT the answer

1. Link to Post #941
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Default Re: Trump is NOT the answer

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Watch the documentary, "Altright" on Netflix. Even discounting for the bias of the filmmaker, it is still a huge eye opener. I didn't know too much about the whole Charlotteville fiasco until I watched the film. And it certainly doesn't portray what you would call, the Left, in a pleasant light either.
    I will watch the Netflix documentary. Here is another firsthand account by a right-wing reporter who was there covering the event in real time. According to her reports of the events (and even accounting for her political bias) the majority of the violence was waged from the left. So I would say this sort of dynamic is similar to road rage. You have two angry groups going head-to-head. When you have crazy and rabid leftists hurling feces and tear gas and urine at crazy alt-right White Nationalists (one of whom was unstable, as in the case of the man who drove his car into the crowd), you are describing a powder keg.

But the neo-fascist movements attract people who want to KILL. There are many among them who are simply disenfranchised and angry, but there is a contingent among that crowd who are also paranoid and that begets acts of terrorism.
    Agreed. But are you implying your insights here only apply to the Unite the Right coalition? If so, you are vastly underestimating Antifa (and some factions of Black Lives Matter and Standing up for Racial Injustice). They are exactly the same type of fascist groups, but organized on the left, angry and disenfranchised, and in many cases, wanting to kill... This is human nature and tribalism 101; it is not unique to the bigoted alt-right with backward views...

It is up to the leader of the free world to differentiate fascists and racists in the alt right, who use coded lingo, like "patriots" etc... with those who are stridently opposed
    The problem is--and I will be blunt--the media did not characterize these events honestly or accurately. Let's take this to the next step. Trump compensates for media dishonesty and agenda-ridden coverage in his rhetoric (mostly because they use their dishonesty against him), which is suddenly spun by the media as if he is "defending" a horrible tragedy and atrocity and condoning alt-right fascists. I assume your take comes from a similar perspective. And yes, I understand how people have come to these kind of conclusions, but in my opinion, after a more objective and thorough analysis of the facts, I think the majority of people--and especially those who maintain a left-leaning bias, have a contrived understanding of the Charlotteville protests.

Specifically, people maintain their understanding of events through the media--even when they take media biases with a grain of salt. So people are very easily manipulated to believe anything the media wants them to believe. The President did condemn the radical right, as Deux pointed out above; what exactly could he have done differently, especially when the media takes his words to create whatever reality they want to create anyway? When Trump "corrected" the media coverage of the event (in this case, the media fraudulence and malpractice), this was spun as if he was condoning alt-right fascists. And of course this type of response is pure gold to the media; they run with his statements further to wrap them around his neck to hang him by.

I will not condone the opinions or beliefs of the fanatic groups on the right that showed up to march in Charlottesville, but I will say they filed for a permit to protest. I will also submit, with a fair degree of certainty, were they not violently confronted (had they been ignored or at the very least peacefully protested) nothing would have come of these protests. We would all view the White Supremacists as the fools they are. The violence occurred because they were provoked and confronted violently with tear gas, chemical balloons, clubs, and weapons. Moreover, the anti-protestors did not have a permit to protest; they simply descended upon the march and started a street brawl with a gang of alt-right radicals, for lack of a better description. What would you expect might happen given this dynamic?

Here are some questions to ask:

Should we assign any blame on these leftist groups? Even if we are tempted to give Antifa et. al the moral high ground and exonerate them of any blame, should we ignore their role in this tragedy altogether, as the media did? Should we instead spin the tragedy simply as the result of an angry group of White Nationalists who drove a car through a crowd of peaceful protestors and killed a woman?

These are the main problems I have when I dissect these issues. The whole thing just reeks of psyop....
    Last edited by T Smith; 30th July 2019 at 14:28.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), Deux Corbeaux (28th July 2019), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2024), Gemma13 (30th July 2019), NancyV (30th July 2019), Valerie Villars (29th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #942
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Not supporting anti-fa. Please watch the flick and get back to me through pm or here. Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Gemma13 (30th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #943
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,068 times in 456 posts

French NETFLIX doesn't have the documentary, but I found it on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/HCse43Y1CBE

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), Gemma13 (30th July 2019), T Smith (29th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #944
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Not supporting anti-fa. Please watch the flick and get back to me through pm or here. Thanks
    Hello AutumnW,

The documentary was interesting and informative. Thank you for sharing. However, it seemed more like a documentary on Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, and Daryle Jenkins, rather than a film on the broader "Alt-right" and the broader radical left response. I assume this is because these men are leaders of their respective movements. But the documentary does not touch upon the scope (or lack thereof) of their followings. Had it delved into that topic critically and with a little more gravitas I would have sat up and took more notice, probably with the same alarm and concern you had. In that sense I was a little disappointed and would point out a critical distinction between the radical ideologies of three men and the broader movements they attract.

For those who don't know who these men are, Richard Spencer coined the term "alt right" and is the President of the National Policy Institute, a White Supremacist think tank that helped organize the August 12 Charlotteville Unite the Right rally; I would describe Jared Taylor as a throwback "southern gentleman" who publishes a White Supremacist website, and Daryle Jenkins as the affable (and charismatic) public face of Antifa. One thing that surprised me and caught me off guard is none of these men seemed particularly angry or hateful. They all seemed cheerful and affable and charming, despite their odious ideals.

A few more comments/observations:

I applaud the filmmaker for defining the Alt-Right at the beginning of the film. This is critically important if we are to have any meaningful discussion about Charlottesville and the Alt-Right movement in general. But yes, as defined in the documentary, we are in full agreement the alt-right is disturbing and alarming. However, I would point out the MSM, and particularly the left-leaning agitprop sect of it (which is mostly all of it), has cast much too wide an umbrella above the Alt-Right movement in my view. It casts the ideologies explored in this film not only upon the President of the United States and the majority of his followers (Hillary Clinton's infamous "basket of deplorables" comment comes to mind) but also upon virtually everyone left of center on the political spectrum. This is a common Alinsky tactic (see rule 13), where engaging in thoughtful discourse on ideas is countered with sensational ad hominem typecasting and spurious character assassinations on anyone who disagrees. One can accomplish this quite effectively by first establishing what is deplorable, e.g. the alt-right (as defined in the documentary) and then casting the aspersion wide and far upon those who have nothing whatsoever to do with the charge.

To be specific, the Alt-Right, according to the definition in the film, embraces the following tenets: Pro-white, Anti-Semitic, Socially Conservative, Segregation of Races, and Authoritarianism. My main criticism with the documentary, then, isn't a political dispute with the expose of their odious, hateful, and dangerous ideas, as it is the documentary's implication that this ideology applies to a much broader political spectrum and specifically to the constituency responsible for electing Donald Trump. In other words, millions and millions of people. This idea is alluded to and implied throughout the film with no supporting evidence whatsoever. It is simply presented as given.

For example, Alt-Right ideology, as defined above, is interchanged with phrases like "in the Age of Trump" and with "Trump Supporters" and "How Trump Got Elected" throughout the film. I will say these assertions are not only misleading, but patently false. If the filmmaker disagrees with me, by all means, make the argument and support the claims with facts. I would like to understand the connection if I have overlooked something so important.

Specifically, how is any of this connected in any way to Donald Trump and his followers? How is his platform pro-white (and by implication, anti-ethnic)? Specifically? How is he Anti-Semitic? Specifically? How is he segregationist? Specifically? How is he authoritarian, exactly (aside from the empty charges leveled?). Have I really overlooked something so egregious?

At the end of the day, I simply have to conclude the charge that Donald Trump and so-called Trump Supporters being Alt-Right is largely contrived. Saying it is so, over and over, doesn't do much to persuade me. Call it a weakness; I need to see a critical connection. This, of course, has little to do with the documentary, aside from the subliminal suggestions throughout the film interchanging the political climate in America today on the right with the Alt-Right in the film.

But let's put this in its proper perspective. The August 12 rally that turned violent and resulted in three deaths was an alt-right rally of 400 people, among thousands. Yes White Supremacists exist. Yes they organize. Yes they attract the disenchanted. So do obscure cults you've never even heard of. No reasoning person would dispute this, and the film does an outstanding job documenting this. But the question is, what exactly are they documenting? A movement of millions of people? Or a small group of misguided radicals that are relatively insignificant to the broader political discourse? This latter question is so counter an idea to the MSM narrative one might be appalled by the mere suggestion of it. We hear over, and over, and over again that we are surrounded and being over-taken by White Supremacists, and DJT is encouraging this. We hear this so much so we simply absorb it as given. But let's examine. Richard Spencer and Jared Taylor were able to successfully fill a Marriott conference room spouting their ideals; the National Policy Institute raised a whopping $50,000.00 last year, and American Renaissance (Jared Taylor's publication) had 30k twitter followers before he was banned for violating Twitter's hate speech rules. To put that in perspective, the Stoic Emperor, an anonymous tweeter who delivers short meditations daily in the vein of Saturday Night Live's Stuart Smalley, has 30k followers. The Kashi Ashram, an obscure religious cult with a Judeo-Christian foundation, claims to touch the lives of 300k members. Have you ever heard of them? Know somebody involved with them? If not, I would point out they are easily ten times larger in scope than the alt-right cult the filmmakers explored in this film.

In short, the alt-right, as defined in bold above, is mostly but another Alinsky tactic (see rule 9) and is about as significant as any other obscure cult you've never heard of.

Another example of very subtle propaganda the filmmaker exploited was the idea the militia in the rally supported the Neo-Nazis. This is also not true. According to the independent report, the militia was present at the rally to keep the peace on both sides of the dispute, yet the subtle implication in the film depicts a militarized neo-nazi brigade. Chilling (and alarming) if one does not have access to the facts.

I don't want to downplay the Alt-Right or condone their ideas. As always, my criticism isn't with the ideas or tools social engineers employ to manipulate public opinion to exploit fear and to distort reality for political expediency. My dispute is with the social engineers themselves and their tactics. The media is fully responsible for this. After the 1975 blockbuster film Jaws, nearly half the population, 43%, reported a phobia of swimming (some won't step in as little as four feet of water) even though the odds of a shark attack are roughly 1 to 4,000,000. Let's think about that, and how powerful propaganda is.

Funny how that 43% is roughly the same amount of people who can swing elections and drive the march of hidden agendas.
    Last edited by T Smith; 31st July 2019 at 19:32.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), Chester (21st January 2020), Deux Corbeaux (30th July 2019), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2024), Gemma13 (30th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #945
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,102 times in 20,640 posts

Chris Hedges & Abby Martin: No Way Out Through Elections
    Nov 27, 2019
    Empire Files

(Although unfortunate that Hedges seems to have bought the global warming lie, his views on the advanced state of decay in current US politics are right on target, imho.)

"Abby Martin sits down with Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author Chris Hedges to discuss the ignored reality behind Trump, the bipartisan road from neoliberalism to fascism, how the Democratic elite are an institution of corporate power, and how there's no way out through the #2020election without destroying the system."
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), Delight (5th December 2019), Franny (4th December 2019), Gracy (4th December 2019), Pam (8th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #946
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Pulitzer Prize winner Chris Hedges on his latest book, America: The Farewell Tour
    Oct 8, 2018
    WGBHForum

"Chris Hedges, who writes a regular column for truthdig and was a foreign correspondent for The New York Times for nearly two decades, seeks to jolt us out of our complacency about the current state of affairs, while we still have time. In conversation with Chris Lydon, producer & presenter of WBUR’s “Open Source”, Hedges discusses his latest book, America: The Farewell Tour."
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), Delight (5th December 2019), Franny (4th December 2019), Gracy (4th December 2019)

13. Link to Post #947
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,487 times in 1,711 posts

why would anyone think that trunp is the answer to anything.
    I asked this before, "Do you think that any Politician is the answer to anything of real significance?"

Not at his time. Defiantly.

The criminal cabal that we all know about, well, not all know about, sadly,
    are OUT as anything we want, ever.

SO , Trump ends up being all we have to rely on and I think he knows it. Is he an answer to
    anything remains to be answered, as always in politics .

See you on the flip side as JP Farrell says.
    Last edited by East Sun; 5th December 2019 at 01:02.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

AutumnW (5th December 2019), onawah (5th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #948
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for response, TSmith. I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Sorry I didn't respond sooner!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

T Smith (22nd December 2019)

17. Link to Post #949
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,667 times in 638 posts

Christopher Hitchens gives his POV about politicians in the year 2000. He also mentions Trump. A very funny watch!

18. Link to Post #950
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Chris Hedges. Amazing guy and completely depressing. Not recommended viewing if you're already bummed out. Abby Martin supports Sanders. I like him but he is really too old. Always looks like he's about to pop an artery. Can we get some young blood in there already?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Kryztian (8th December 2019), onawah (5th December 2019)

20. Link to Post #951
    United States Avalon Member Haujean Contactee's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 times in 187 posts

I have to say that I firmly disagree with every post in this discussion. I recommend going to www.larouchepac.com and learning about how the corrupt system works and how it has been undermining president Trump. Then learn how to mobilize to turn this mess around.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haujean Contactee For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (7th December 2019), Jayke (8th December 2019)

22. Link to Post #952
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Self-Validating Circle Jerk Of War Psyops: Notes From The Edge Of The Narrative Matrix
    by Caitlin Johnstone
    12/7/19
    https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/12...rative-matrix/

"Everyone made fun of Billie Eilish the other day for not knowing about Van Halen. Meanwhile most of them still think they live in a free democracy where the news reporter tells you true facts about the world.

Here’s how politicians, media and government could eliminate conspiracy theories if they really wanted to:

Stop lying all the time
    Stop killing people
    Stop promoting conspiracy theories (Russiagate)
    Stop doing evil things in secret
    End government opacity
    Stop conspiring
    I actually envy the pro-establishment types. What pleasant lives they must have lived to be able to trust authority with such pure, blind faith like that.

On the right they often refer to deaths under 20th century communist governments. On the left they talk a lot about Nazi Germany. What doesn’t get nearly enough attention is how the tyrannical force that’s doing the killing and oppressing right now is the US-centralized empire.

If a reporter in the mass media advances the establishment line in a clever and skillful way, they’ll be published, praised and promoted. Those who figure this out quickly rise to the top. Those who don’t get fed bottom-tier assignments no one reads until they find new careers. This is all you’re seeing when you see blue-checkmarked media figures smearing Assange or shrieking about the Evil Dictator Of The Week. You’re seeing ambitious reporters who understand how the game is played signal their understanding to current and future employers.

Nowhere in the mainstream news cycle is the difference between fact and narrative highlighted more clearly than in the difference between the facts of Trump’s dangerous escalations against Russia and the narrative about his softness toward Russia. Same planet, different worlds.

The devious and depraved individuals who work in government agencies know that many great evils can be hidden behind people’s entirely irrational tendency to dismiss their own suspicions with a “No, my government would never do something that devious and depraved!”

It’s not ****ing complicated. If a narrative serves the interests of powerful groups with a known history of lying, be skeptical of that narrative. This should be extremely obvious to everyone.

How to avoid being called a Russian agent online:

Don’t be Russian
    Support all US wars
    Trust the CIA
    Believe everything the TV tells you
    Get excited for President Pete
    Reject the evil Hawaiian woman
    Believe all problems began January 2017
    Obey
    Obey
    Obey
    Obey
    Con artists prefer lies by omission because they are cowards and they would prefer not to look you in the eye while lying. The same is true for the imperial media. Omissions like not reporting on OPCW leaks are the same as straight-up lies. It’s fake news by omission.

We really cannot afford to lose the battle to free Assange. If we’re going to let them imprison a journalist for life because he exposed US war crimes then we might as well tap out and hand the imperialists the keys to the world forever, because we’ll never reclaim what we lost.

Anybody who isn’t loudly protesting Assange’s imprisonment is now caping for Trump’s diabolical attack on the free press worldwide. Silence is complicity right now. This is endgame; without a free press holding power to account, we are done and we will freefall into dystopia.

Things that make me sick about the Assange case:

The fact that we keep trying to appeal to journalists’ self-preservation to get them to support him because we know their moral compass is not enough.
    #Resistance Democrats happy to see him die in jail because “He helped Trump.” Even if that was true (it’s not), how psychopathically authoritarian do you have to be to condemn someone to death because they have different politics to you?
    And the hypocrisy of it all. My God. They’re like, “Hey kids! Don’t forget to #Resist tyranny and fascism by cheerleading a Trump administration agenda to make it possible for the US government to imprison journalists for exposing US war crimes!”
    Another thing that makes me side-eye my fellow man when it comes to Assange: so many Australians tell me they are disgusted by what’s happening but very few of them are willing to speak out publicly. Bloody wusses. They might as well tie the noose for all the good they’re doing.
    One thing that gives me hope: the cool-factor is building momentum around Assange here in Australia. I think maybe it’s because Australians generally loathe that church-lady busy-body tsk-tsk tone that typifies the general narrative on Assange. It’s so uncool. So there’s that.

People often say if MSM reporters don’t defend Assange then they’ll be next behind bars. One problem: it’s not true. And they know it’s not true. If you serve power, nothing you publish will get you into trouble. If they’re silent on Assange, they’ve openly chosen to serve power.

Every single person who still believes Hillary Clinton would have made a decent president has simply spent the last few years adamantly refusing to do intellectually and emotionally honest research into the things that she did as a secretary of state and senator.

Democrats who continually object to centrists being criticized from the left within their party while also simultaneously shrieking about Jill Stein running as a third party candidate are really just saying “No one’s allowed to be to the left of Hillary Clinton. Ever. At all.”
    https://twitter.com/KamalaNation/sta...215224834?s=20

Broke: Buttigieg is a Rhodes Scholar, isn’t that awesome?
    Woke: Corey Booker is also a Rhodes Scholar, but nobody makes a big deal about a Black man’s achievements.
    Bespoke: The Rhodes Scholarship is just a training program for CIA-aligned establishment swamp monsters.

I’m almost certainly wasting my breath here, but the Bernie crowd vs. Tulsi crowd sectarian feuding I’m seeing on social media will be over and irrelevant in a few months, so maybe it would be a good idea to contemplate how wise it is to say hurtful/damaging things to/about each other in the meantime.

Trump is doing countless evil things right out in the open, yet instead his “opposition” focuses on imaginary Russia conspiracies and an impeachment that can only fail, much like a pro wrestler stomping on the mat next to his downed “opponent” to avoid hurting the other actor.

I’m going to start mentally replacing the label “conspiracy theorist” with “Iraq rememberer”.

The reason it’s so important to stay enraged about Iraq is because it’s never been addressed or rectified in any real way whatsoever. All the corrupt mechanisms which led to the invasion are still in place and its consequences remain. It isn’t something that happened in the past; it’s happening now.

It’s just so insane how Bush showed up, launched two full-scale ground invasions based on lies, murdered a million people, launched unprecedented domestic espionage programs, and then the news churn just moved on and now we’re only supposed to care about Trump’s rude tweets.

If you lack a deep, visceral loathing of the Bush administration for the evils it unleashed and the precedents it set, then you also lack (A) any framework through which to correctly understand the world, and (B) a conscience.

QAnon is Fox News in puzzle form. It gives adherents a bunch of cryptic hints leading them down artificial rabbit holes which just so happen to result in their all believing mainstream GOP narratives like Trump is awesome, everything’s Obama’s fault, and Iran needs regime change.

The NED-funded Bellingcat isn’t toxic on its own. What makes it toxic is the way it’s aggressively elevated and promoted by mainstream news media, who then cite it as an authoritative source in their own imperialist propaganda. It’s a self-validating circle jerk of war psyops.https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/sta...18120541458437

There’s a very common, very stupid notion that if you criticize the US government, you also have to criticize other governments equally. Ask which specific governments must be criticized, and out of all the corrupt governments in the world they’ll name only those targeted by US imperialism. Nobody will ever bitch at you for criticizing the US government without criticizing corrupt governments like Egypt, the Philippines or Saudi Arabia. They only ever want you to attack the governments their TV tells them to attack: Russia, China, Iran, etc.

The capitalism cultist’s solution to caring for developmentally disabled children is that their families care for them at home for their entire lives. Society gets those families’ labor, for free. Free stuff! Sweet, huh? But the problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people’s free labor.
    Everyone talks about “free stuff” but no one talks about free labor. The carers of children, the disabled, and the elderly do free work all day every day, but that’s fine, just don’t give them any free stuff because that would be immoral. Everyone loves to say “Not everything is about money,” but only when it comes to carer’s work. Otherwise it’s all “Taxation is theft!” and “Don’t coerce me in to caring for others!” Carers are just meant to retire on good feelings and pay their rent with sweet sentiments. Or depending wholly on the charitable inclinations of an industrious man. Who hopefully is the nice kind of man and tough luck if he isn’t.
    And don’t hyperventilate at me about violence and coercion. The current system is based on coercion and force when you’re a primary carer. You can’t leave even if your situation is abusive, you don’t get paid so you can’t even retire. That’s as coercive and forceful as it gets.

I’m really looking forward to when we’ve won this thing and the people have wrested their rightful power away from their oppressors so I don’t have to stay plugged into the news cycle 24/7 keeping track of what bull****’s spewing out of people’s televisions today.

If we make it out of this mess, it won’t be because anyone’s ideology won out over the others, it will be because we fundamentally changed the way we function as a species. It will be because we completely transformed our relationship with abstract thought and mental narrative."

Also posted here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1326694
    Each breath a gift...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

East Sun (7th December 2019)

24. Link to Post #953
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Both parties are pro-war. And...pro-war all the time. Their economy depends on it. The social system, using the military as a kind of socialist welfare programme makes it necessary.

That's all I need to know. To think that Trump is more powerful than both war parties combined is laugh out loud funny. Placing countries under siege, like Venezuela and Iran, in order to pretty much starve them into surrender is a covertly aggressive act and as unhumane as a direct act of war.

It's pretty much the same as rape, be it fast or slow, it's still rape.

Wait til his second term, when the gloves really come off, before deducing he is some kind of pacifist. His first term is enough for me to see he is part of the same system.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Franny (9th December 2019), onawah (7th December 2019)

26. Link to Post #954
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I posted this in the wrong thread--meant to put it in the thread about Caitlin Johnstone, which I will post there now.
    Last edited by onawah; 9th December 2019 at 20:50.
    Each breath a gift...

27. Link to Post #955
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Chris Hedges & Abby Martin: No Way Out Through Elections
    Nov 27, 2019
    Empire Files

(Although unfortunate that Hedges seems to have bought the global warming lie, his views on the advanced state of decay in current US politics are right on target, imho.)

"Abby Martin sits down with Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author Chris Hedges to discuss the ignored reality behind Trump, the bipartisan road from neoliberalism to fascism, how the Democratic elite are an institution of corporate power, and how there's no way out through the #2020election without destroying the system."
    OMG...Onawah, thank you so much for giving us Chris Hedges. I had never heard of this man and I found what he has to say really profound. I see he has a book and I am going to read it. He is certainly worthy of a thread. His ability to understand human nature along with an ability to look at our current situation objectively is very rare..

BUMP.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Forest Denizen (10th December 2019), Franny (9th December 2019), Kryztian (8th December 2019), onawah (8th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #956
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Trump signs executive order to fight antisemitism on US campuses
    12/11/19
    ( From Houman's post today here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1327121
    and Houman's comment: "ADL'S VICE TIGHTENS ON CAMPUSES

For those of you still blind enough to trust or have hope in Trump, note that he is issuing an executive order that will make the ADL's definition of antisemitism controlling on campuses - which means that almost any criticism of Israel or Israeli actions (like shooting a Palestinian nurse in the back) would be antisemitic. with penalties specified for individuals AND their institutions."
    https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Antis...Luxzba9u3F95_A
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Franny (12th December 2019), Pam (15th December 2019)

31. Link to Post #957
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Trump is supporting the movement to create a new, very expensive branch of US armed services devoted not to peaceful exploration of space, but to war in space (so far, at least, and it would be very difficult or him to back-tread at this point).
    DARK JOURNALIST X-SERIES 75: SECRET SPACE FORCE UFO DEFENSE NETWORK
    12/13/19

Also see: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1327359
    Last edited by onawah; 15th December 2019 at 00:58.
    Each breath a gift...

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2024), Franny (22nd December 2019), Pam (15th December 2019)

33. Link to Post #958
    Language
    English
    Thanks

21,176 people died the last time this was tried
    Alex Lawson, Social Security Works
    12/21/19

(From Social Security Works email update today)

"American workers contribute to Social Security with every paycheck. When they do, they are earning comprehensive insurance protections. Social Security insures against the loss of wages due to old age, disability, or (for the surviving family of a worker) death. While Social Security is best known as a retirement program, disability and survivor’s benefits are equally essential.

The Republican strategy depends on dividing us.

An attack on any part of Social Security is an attack on the entire system and all current and future beneficiaries. The latest proposal from Donald Trump’s administration, which is designed to rip benefits away from hundreds of thousands of Americans with disabilities, amounts to a declaration of war on Social Security.

The Trump Administration proposal1 would require millions of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries to re-prove their eligibility for benefits as often as every six months—far more frequently than is currently the case.2 There is no justification for this policy. The United States already has some of the strictest eligibility criteria for disability benefits in the world. More than half of all claims are denied.3

We should be making it easier for workers to claim the Social Security benefits they’ve earned with every paycheck, not harder. And ripping benefits away from current beneficiaries, who rely on them to survive, is even worse.

We know what the effects of the Trump proposal would be, because Ronald Reagan implemented a very similar benefit cut back in the 1980s. Reagan’s policy ripped away the benefits of 200,000 Americans with disabilities. The New York Times reported that “people with obvious physical and mental disabilities” lost their benefits “without having been interviewed.”4

Ultimately, Reagan was forced to reverse his attack on Social Security after massive public outcry, and bipartisan condemnation from Congress—but not before 21,176 people died,5 including several who died by suicide, “because their benefits were cut off.”

We need to stop this cruel policy before it costs any more lives. Social Security Works is rallying progressives to a massive public comment campaign to stop Trump’s plan before it is implemented!

Donald Trump himself might not be a diligent student of history, but his advisers—men like Mick Mulvaney,6 Trump’s chief of staff and a longtime enemy of Social Security—know exactly what they are doing. They want to resurrect Reagan’s Social Security cut knowing full well that it killed people.

This could impact any of us, even those of us who are currently healthy. Imagine that you are hit by a car tomorrow, and suffer life-altering injuries that prevent you from working. You’re faced with crushing medical bills, and you’ve lost your income. In such situations, SSDI benefits are a crucial lifeline. Donald Trump wants to rip that lifeline away.

Trump and Mulvaney are targeting people with disabilities first, because they perceive them as politically vulnerable. But if they are allowed to get away with this attack, it will be only the beginning. They want to destroy every part of Social Security, including retirement benefits, and turn it over to their criminal friends on Wall Street.

We must stop Trump’s plan. The Social Security Administration is collecting comments on the proposal until the end of January. You can comment opposing the plan here. Everyone must also call their elected officials. Congressional condemnation played a huge role in forcing Ronald Reagan to reverse his version of the attack, and it can stop Trump in his tracks.

If we let the politicians in Washington, D.C., take away some people’s earned benefits, it means they can take away all of our earned benefits. Thank you for fighting with us."

Alex Lawson
    Social Security Works

P.S. Our user-friendly public comment campaign will launch in the new year. But you can register your displeasure today using Regulations.gov."

1 https://www.inquirer.com/news/social...-20191212.html
    2 https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-cdrs-ussi.htm
    3 https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...can-workers-2/
    4 https://www.nytimes.com/1984/04/14/u...ts-cutoff.html
    5 https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...162-story.html
    6 https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...y-and-medicare
    Last edited by onawah; 22nd December 2019 at 05:21.
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Franny (22nd December 2019), Kryztian (22nd December 2019)

35. Link to Post #959
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Trump IS the answer! And so is Joe Biden! Left/right, negative/positive -- required to generate energy... but for whom?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Pam (22nd December 2019)

37. Link to Post #960
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

SOLUTIONS? I always ask , once some intellectual person has sighted the ills and made the comparisons to past dire signposts etc , WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?

in the above video with Chris Hedges , towards the end of his talk he suggests as a his solution , complete resistance to the system, anachary, revolution and such.

The hows? who starts it, who's first in line and so on ,is my question. Its usually the think tank people who wash their hands of such messyness as its implied that work is left up to the everyday drones and have nots.

It also brings to mind the person who hears a hurricane is coming, goes out and buys supplies to board up his house, and in his preparation, accidentally kills himself while doing so.
    This actually just happened to someone in the recent Hurricane in Florida. The Hurricane never hit his area.

Observing nature teaches us to adapt, use stealth, camouflage ,cunning and cleverness as the terrain changes . I have never lived any different in my life despite who the President was.
    I suppose I have been very fortunate to do so as I came close to being drafted during the Viet Nam war. But aside from that, I have developed skills that transcend present trends and live under the radar in a good but modest fashion.

This drastic division in opinion alone, how today even good friends are at each others necks with, anger , righteousness , finger pointing , is more dangerous than the coming storm, and Im not so sure its even coming . So what do ywe do ? I have no answers but for myself . Read the play as best you can

All I can say is , this so called evil guy in office just signed a 1.3 billion dollar bill to aid and research Autism so he's not doing a very good job of being a Nazi.

Don't let the machine divide us! happy holidays

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (22nd December 2019), Pam (22nd December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 92 FirstFirst 1 38 48 58 92 LastLast