+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Babies made from three people approved in UK

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,908 times in 1,388 posts

Default Babies made from three people approved in UK

Babies made from two women and one man have been approved by the UK's fertility regulator.

The historic and controversial move is to prevent children being born with deadly genetic diseases.

Doctors in Newcastle - who developed the advanced form of IVF - are expected to be the first to offer the procedure and have already appealed for donor eggs.

The first such child could be born, at the earliest, by the end of 2017.

Some families have lost multiple children to incurable mitochondrial diseases, which can leave people with insufficient energy to keep their heart beating.

The diseases are passed down from only the mother so a technique using a donor egg as well as the mother's egg and father's sperm has been developed.

The resulting child has a tiny amount of their DNA from the donor, but the procedure is legal, ethical and scientifically ready.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38328097

Should we interfere in the process of nature?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bogeyman For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (16th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (15th December 2016), Gillian (15th December 2016), justntime2learn (15th December 2016), Nasu (15th December 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

Default Re: Babies made from three people approved in UK

Well some people would argue that all humans are the genetic creations of Reptilian "gods" - I would hope at least that we all still have souls - although that is debatable I guess for some people. There is also a question in my mind of whether or not we have been "dumbed down" via genetic meddling, leading to the strange phenomenon of us by and large using a very small percentage of our brains and having very limited psi abilities.

It is true that we interfere with the process of nature all the time - the apples we eat are borne of grafted trees, etc, etc.

I cannot say I condone the practice, and I suspect that there are deleterious effects whenever those who are not high up on the creator ladder try their hands at playing god. Even without advanced technologies like gene splicing and in vitro fertlization/cloning, we can see how kindergarten level creators can screw up natural order (one example is the introduction of cane frogs as a natural alternative to pesticides in Australia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia)

As for the overall outcome? I suspect that Truth and Love will out, regardless. While it might be quicker and cooler for us all to already be psi super humans actively creating a futuristic utopia in harmony with all creation on earth, I can only hope that the slower and more annoyingly stunted progress we are making will still lead to the goal many of us yearn for.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th December 2016), justntime2learn (15th December 2016), Nasu (15th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 times in 262 posts

With no predators to thin the herd, civilization keeps the weakest of us alive, reproducing progressively decaying dna.
    No wonder we end up greys.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dim For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th December 2016), Joe (25th January 2017), Nasu (15th December 2016), The Freedom Train (15th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

Quote Posted by dim (here)
    With no predators to thin the herd, civilization keeps the weakest of us alive, reproducing progressively decaying dna.
    No wonder we end up greys.
    One could consider, however, that with the tantalizing offer of Reptilian geneticist's superior skin suits, being bred for all highly valued physical traits and selectively removing weaknesses and disease, the general trend would be to opt for those - at least by those who could afford it.

Also - whether there are no predators around thinning the herd is highly debatable!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th December 2016), justntime2learn (15th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread