+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Digital Addiction: Stronger Than Heroin

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Default Re: Digital Addiction: Stronger Than Heroin

Nothing connects two or more quilters together like their mutual addiction.

Last edited by joeecho; 22nd December 2016 at 22:24.

2. Link to Post #42
    France Avalon Member
    Thanks

Take off jour shoes and feel the wolrd

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to guyres For This Post:

BMJ (23rd December 2016), Bruno (23rd December 2016), Hervé (10th January 2017), joeecho (23rd December 2016), Vward (23rd December 2016), wegge (10th July 2017)

4. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Go outside
    I walk through nature and see the infinite possibilities and endless beauty.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vward For This Post:

BMJ (23rd December 2016), Bruno (23rd December 2016), Hervé (10th January 2017), joeecho (23rd December 2016)

6. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,389 times in 1,715 posts

Words of wisdom from a nine year old starseed Cathy, gives me an indication as to why we should be careful in our use of technology.

Thank you Onawah all credit to you on this find.
    Link: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1117964

Quote:

Mother: “How can we wake up?”

Cathy: “We have to increase our energy as we don’t have the energy required; it’s stolen from us.”

Mother: “How can we protect our energy?”

Cathy: “At present, we only have point five percent (.05%) of our energy. We need to have one point five percent (1.5%).

Mother: How might we begin to increase our energy?

Cathy says:
    Don’t get angry about small things.
    Don’t speak on mobile phones for a long time.
    Don’t eat white sugar.
    Don’t watch TV.
    Don’t use microwaves.
    Don’t have wireless internet.
    Last edited by BMJ; 10th January 2017 at 16:20.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Hervé (10th January 2017), onawah (10th January 2017), petra (19th August 2019)

8. Link to Post #45
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

5 Ways Smart Phones Are Dumbing People Down
    “And experts are even learning that children spending all their time on these kinds of devices are showing a startling lack of ability not only to read other people's emotions but a lack of being able to show empathy.”

“A new study out of the University of California Irvine says devoting more attention to your smartphones than your children could mean they'll have improper brain development and emotional disorders later in life.”

Transcript:
    “…London say that three-quarters of all UK toddlers that's children between the age of 6 months and 3 years old now use iPads or smartphones every day. 6 month olds use iPads every day. I mean just that's what's going on. And I don’t know how many times I've personally seen this but we'll be sitting down to dinner at a restaurant and a mother will come in plunk her small kid down and immediately prop up an iPad right in front of his face and then pull out her phone. They don't talk to each other. They don't look at each other. If the kid tries to get his mom's attention maybe show her something happening in the cartoon or whatever that she's turned on to distract him she won't even look because she's too concerned with checking Instagram or whatever on her phone to even give her own kid the time of day. Parents are admittedly ignoring their children and the children are learning to ignore everyone else because of it.

And studies are showing that smartphone addicted parents have more negative interactions with their children when they do interact with their children but is all about having physical consequences too. A new study out of the University of California Irvine says devoting more attention to your smartphones than your children could mean they'll have improper brain development and emotional disorders later in life. And that’s certainly what's being suggested by the fact that social skills have now eroded to the point that college students are having to take etiquette classes to try and relearn even the basics on how to physically interact with people in real life. And experts are even learning that children spending all their time on these kinds of devices are showing a startling lack of ability not only to read other people's emotions but a lack of being able to show empathy.

Truthstream Media
    Published on Jul 7, 2017

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

avid (1st October 2018), Franny (1st October 2018), Hervé (1st October 2018), onawah (1st October 2018), Valerie Villars (1st October 2018)

10. Link to Post #46
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 times in 1,331 posts

Phone (and tablet, computer, .....) addiction and its effects illustrated in this short animated film:

Quote Published on May 29, 2017
    Very meaningful short movie on how the system is failing. how we are ruining our lives with abuse of technology.
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th August 2019), Frank V (19th August 2019), Gracy (19th August 2019), Hervé (19th August 2019), meeradas (19th August 2019)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,362 times in 4,613 posts

It’s all true but ...if I look back to my childhood and teenage that happened before the public computer and internet age started, in the 70s and 80s and since we were little behind at that point anyway though I either read, knew of internet and that it’s coming I marvelled the connectivity and creativity of computer world should it be once available to is( but it happened 30 years later for me anyway),

kids were not suffering from many addictions in general because upbringing was more controlled and in parents hands, than it is now.

If I have observed group profile of my classmates carefully, just about third of us have been “busy people” with various(loads of) interests and hobbies.
    We were “up to something”, sports, sciences, literature ..varied really so our time was full and there wasn’t really enough time to do all the things you ever wanted to do or try,
    between school, homework, parents schedule and interests. Books and getting out on your own. There was hardly any spare time left.

That’s about those with level of serious interest in something. Of course you never heard of any of us in those times.
    We lived for ourselves and for what we did.

Sense of competition was not from us, it really emerged from the economically “upper class” kids who wore label cloth and could have things ahead of the rest.

They were not smarter than us but they looked smarter and could pay their way through. It’s them who had the first Nintendos and computers anyway but it’s long ago.

It’s also them who have been known to receive somewhat looser education from their parents and who could argue with parents or throw fits( even though it was rarely discussed and their parents seemed to be somewhat ashamed about it).

I saw kids throwing violent fits in supermarkets for not getting the particular type of food they wanted. Some who continued to do that clearly had underlying psychological issues and ended up in therapy, together with their parents.
    Small percentage of them come from “drama families”.

They sometimes end up being great actors and thus get payed for the “drama”. The same guys and girls can throw fits about anything.

But back to the topic, more than half, I would say two thirds of the teenage population was typically “bored” and disinterested in real world till much later on in their development so either they had to be pushed around a bit, entertained or left to their particular kind of childhood emptiness and boredom.

The myth of “naughty kids” seems to originate from “somewhere there”.

Now if there was an internet, yes, most of these developing, distracted, bored and naturally confused by themselves kids would have hanged on it.

It would have made them smarter but probably not better. Because “good and bad” really depends on environment.

There’s another important component to it and that’s a “smart parent”. Optimally, parent is a guide for a child, a knower of the world, one who knows how to control the environment.
    Parent who suffers from any kind of addiction and extreme manner cannot expect his children will be forever wiser, more balanced and will make it through.
    The whole faith in “smart kids” placed already heavy emotional and life toll on many of our backs.

So before you sink to depth of conspiracy theory ...

consider the problem is mostly not the technologies but it’s mostly the people who can not use them wisely.
    People who “don’t know what to do otherwise”.

There’s plenty of people to whom internet connectivity and technologies helped and
    do help to find their bigger purpose -out of the IT world,
    information -education capacity of the IT is almost endless

and it comes with a warning for those who are literate : do not destroy yourself.

Everything takes years of practice to master it even a bit. Our parents did not have it, we had to learn it all ourselves.

But it’s always about our personalities and freedoms. There is no limit. There’s meaning to what we do and not. Just learn to use it wisely.

Now if my kids spend most of their time playing computer games or watching silly videos on YouTube and I let them do it because it keeps them quiet and content and they’re not demanding attention all the time,
    I should not be surprised if they start crying or protesting when I ask them to do something else.
    Why, because children need love and attention to their growing up, everyday to certain age. There’s no recipe for how much, how long or how often.

If you give them “smart nanny” and get them used to it, they will naturally figure out it is much smarter than you are and both you and your kids will miss all those years of giving and receiving knowledge and love from live person,
    learning to respond and cope with real people

which is way harder than responding to anime.

As a result the “young adult” generation emerging now are very well educated, informed but skeptical and they do not “believe” in relationships the way their parents did. Their concept of making relationships seems to have sunk to the IT world:
    with “too many options” and “fleeting values”.

Imagine they’d turn this whole IT scheme off one day 😀

Not that I wish for it but it’s not too difficult to imagine.
    It’s also not really difficult to disconnect from it
    if you can’t benefit or if it causes too much stress.

Myself I do disconnect whenever it’s necessary.

The time we all have on this planet is precious. A fleeting moment . But you learn this from being with other living beings ...

🙏

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Johan (Keyholder) (19th August 2019)

14. Link to Post #48
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by TruthStream article in Post # 45
    And studies are showing that smartphone addicted parents have more negative interactions with their children when they do interact with their children but is all about having physical consequences too.
    Physical consequences.... like say, death? I say that because of a shocking article I came across last year, child drownings in Germany linked to parent's smartphone fixation:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ngs-in-germany

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    Imagine they’d turn this whole IT scheme off one day 😀

Not that I wish for it but it’s not too difficult to imagine.
    All it'd take is one big electromagnetic pulse... supposedly. I've heard people comparing the moon to a giant electromagnet too, so kind of makes me wonder if the "moon might be up to something"
    Last edited by petra; 19th August 2019 at 15:07.

15. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,432 times in 32,921 posts

Quote Posted by Cara (here)

Very meaningful short movie on how the system is failing. how we are ruining our lives with abuse of technology.
    Wow. Less than 3 mins, and so very poignant.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (19th August 2019), Cara (19th August 2019), Carmody (19th August 2019), Frank V (19th August 2019), Hervé (19th August 2019), Yoda (19th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #50
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Quote Posted by Cara (here)
    Phone (and tablet, computer, .....) addiction and its effects illustrated in this short animated film:

I hope you don't mind if I borrow this link ─ and thank you for posting it in the first place.

18. Link to Post #51
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,320 times in 10,234 posts

Interdimensional Civil Servant

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Frank V (19th August 2019), Hervé (19th August 2019)

20. Link to Post #52
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

Re-post--

"If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

21. The Following User Says Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Frank V (20th August 2019)

22. Link to Post #53
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Quote Posted by Vward (here)
    Go outside
    Yeah. And while you're at it, stop feeling sad and stop being sick!

I am sorry to be one of these people, but until you own nothing and are selling your body for five more minutes of your "high," then it ain't worse than heroin. Not saying it's not bad. No, I very much agree it's very bad. But I don't agree it's "worse than heroin." I know it's just phrasing, but I'm real sensitive to the words I suppose.
    Last edited by RogueEllis; 20th August 2019 at 02:41.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

petra (20th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3