+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chinese space company claims to have a warp drive engine working in orbit

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Default Chinese space company claims to have a warp drive engine working in orbit

Hello Everyone:
    Yes, this is more to the story of a "warp Drive"
    This time China says they already have a working "warp Drive" in space as we speak!
    chancy

Link:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/chinese-sp...120536437.html

article:
    Chinese space company claims to have a warp drive engine working in orbit
    Rob Waugh- December 21, 2016

NASA’s much-hyped EM Drive – often described as a ‘Warp Drive’ – made shockwaves around the world, with a propulsion system which seems to defy the laws of physics.

But now China claims not only to have a rival device – but that it’s in space already, and working.

The engine works by bouncing microwaves around inside an enclosed container – and could revolutionise space travel, allowing spaceships to reach Mars in weeks.

The engine has no exhaust, and would outperform any current booster used in space – and NASA tests showed it was working earlier this year.

But a team from the China Academy of Space Technology has said that NASA’s results ‘re-confirm’ their own work – and plan to use the drive in satellites ‘as quickly as possible’.

The team claim that the thruster has already been tested in low Earth orbit on board China’s Tiangong-2 space station.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (22nd December 2016), Ashy67 (23rd December 2016), BMJ (22nd December 2016), Bruno (22nd December 2016), Carmody (24th December 2016), DNA (22nd December 2016), drneglector (22nd December 2016), eko (22nd December 2016), Fellow Aspirant (23rd December 2016), Flash (22nd December 2016), fourty-two (22nd December 2016), Inversion (22nd December 2016), Ioneo (22nd December 2016), justntime2learn (22nd December 2016), leahahuman (22nd December 2016), Lifebringer (22nd December 2016), Magnus (23rd December 2016), meat suit (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), Richard S. (22nd December 2016), shaberon (22nd December 2016), Sir Eltor (22nd December 2016), toppy (22nd December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,514 times in 4,009 posts

Default Re: Chinese space company claims to have a warp drive engine working in orbit

This is true.

However, it so much does not "seem to defy the laws of physics" it's almost pure facepalm. Imagine your microwave oven, instead of being shaped like a box, it's a cone. Because the cone is not evenly shaped, the microwaves exert more pressure on one end of it.

If you had a cone shaped microwave oven, would you expect it to start sliding along the counter? No, and it wouldn't. This engine has no real impulse, it's thrust is less than ten milli-Newtons. An ordinary rocket is still needed to launch the space capsule.

However, that's where the silliness ends and the real deal begins. In space--using, perhaps, solar panels for power--the engine, over enough time, would accelerate a craft to high speed. Therefor it's completely plausible to go sailing around the solar system in probes, and eventually you could ferry materials to your Mars colonies, etc. It sounds like the best method yet for those purposes.

For the heavy lifting, teamed up with a booster powered by a LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reaction) that NASA and the Japanese auto-makers are taking very seriously, we'd have an incredibly efficient and clean mechanism for transporting earth's entire population to an uninhabitable place.

I'm joking about that a little bit, there are still a lot of unknowns and likely dangers in making long journeys, but this is a lot more impressive than F-35s or the Navy's Stealth Destroyers that don't really work either.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

7alon (23rd December 2016), Ashy67 (23rd December 2016), bennycog (23rd December 2016), Bruno (22nd December 2016), DNA (22nd December 2016), eko (22nd December 2016), Fellow Aspirant (23rd December 2016), Intranuclear (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016), toppy (22nd December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

Default Re: Chinese space company claims to have a warp drive engine working in orbit

Did I miss something?

I thought 'Warp-Drives' would bend space as if making a wormhole?

The above OP device is just another propulsion type Isn't it?
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

7alon (23rd December 2016), Ashy67 (23rd December 2016), Bruno (23rd December 2016), DNA (22nd December 2016), Magnus (23rd December 2016), shaberon (23rd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 times in 267 posts

At some point the word "EM-Drive" wasn't spectacular enough anymore so the click bait press pivoted to "warp drive" to make more ad-money...

Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the fictional warp drive from Star Trek nor with the real research into the Alcubierre Drive.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Builder For This Post:

Ashy67 (23rd December 2016), Bruno (23rd December 2016), Fellow Aspirant (23rd December 2016), Olaf (23rd December 2016), shaberon (23rd December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,514 times in 4,009 posts

Yes...as the microwave oven is mostly just an offshoot of radar, being held "in an enclosed container".

Unrelated trivia, looking at the screen on the door on a microwave oven, it's safe because...microwaves are larger than the holes in the screen, and they can't fit through to escape.

The challenge in making more powerful versions of this engine is mostly in finding the right material that has close to zero absorption. "More powerful" amounts to more than ten milli-Newtons, the current one is probably only good enough for small orbital corrections.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Ashy67 (23rd December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Expounding upon the EM Drive, I came across a fascinating review of NASA's EM Drive results on reddit a while back which boils down to this-

Quote Posted by /u/emdriventodrink

>> ... any major holes?

Yes. Many. But let's focus on one: As I read the paper, I think the data show quite clearly that the displacement the authors measure is due to thermal expansion, not thrust from their cavity. Of course I don't have my hands on the apparatus, and so can't say this with 100% certainty, but I am convinced, and think you should be too.

It's all in Figure 7. I've marked it up here.

Please look at the calibration pulse, the blue plot between where I've marked "On" and "Off." That shows you how their balance beam responds to an applied force. Please take special notice of the quick restoration of the trace when the pulse is turned "Off." See how it just zips back after the force is removed? That's good experimenting right there. They apply a known force and it shows how their apparatus responds.

Now look at the RF pulse which is used to power the EMDrive (it's in gold in the same figure). The authors focus on the beginning of the RF pulse, but I would like you look at the end, where I've marked it "No response to RF-Off." See how there is no quick restoration of the spring? Yes, the trace starts to fall back down again, but that is too slow to be the spring-system restoring itself. In fact, it looks exactly like what you get from something that heated up while the RF was on and is now cooling. It's straight out of a textbook.

Rather than a "physics-breaking new effect," the simple explanation is that the RF equipment heats their equipment and changes the equilibrium position of their balance-beam. I should say that they try to explain this away in their list of possible errors, but the proof is right there in their own plots. Almost all of them lack the quick restoration that you see in the calibration pulse...

---

While I'm at it, I might as well show how their attempt to explain away my criticism, in actuality, only further proves my point. They say that the configuration of equipment is arranged on the balance beam so as to make the response slow (forget that whether fast or slow it should be the same for calibration and emdrive). Then they say that it used to be faster in a previous arrangement, their so-called "split configuration," and offer Figure 12 as proof. So let's take a look at their Figure 12.

See how there are little ripples in each edge of the calibration pulse (marked "Ringing indicates underdamping")? Those ripples show that their spring system is underdamped
    . That's good. You want the system to respond quickly and as and experimenter you trade little ripples for fast response time. Well now look at the drive pulse, specifically where the RF turns off (marked "No ringing means no spring restoration"). See how there are no ripples? This is totally damning evidence. You could throw out the whole experiment based on this one graph. The lack of ringing completely rules out that it is the spring system restoring itself. In other words, when the EMDrive is on it doesn't stretch the spring-system. Their experiment actually proves that the EMDrive makes zero thrust!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BongoBob For This Post:

Ashy67 (23rd December 2016), Bruno (23rd December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread