+ Reply to Thread

Thread: College Student Earns 4.0 GPA, Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default College Student Earns 4.0 GPA, Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

Just discovered this Zero Hedge news. This student is probably spot on, what he is saying is probably much more true than false, worth a read.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-1...-being-scammed

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

Basho (22nd December 2016), Bill Ryan (22nd December 2016), BMJ (23rd December 2016), enigma3 (22nd December 2016), Ewan (22nd December 2016), gaiagirl (22nd December 2016), Kano (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), Pam (22nd December 2016), Sequoia (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016), Words of Joy (23rd December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Default Re: College Student Earns 4.0 GPA, Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

High school in the U.S. is also a giant waste of time after they dropped home economics, personal finance, and learning trades in favor of college prep courses. The majority will never go to college because they can't afford it.
    Most of any real course work done in high school could be taught via computer which would be much cheaper than building buildings and running buses.
    If individual towns and cities supported the sports and arts programs instead of depending on the high schools, I feel we really wouldn't need high schools at all!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Basho (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), Sequoia (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: College Student Earns 4.0 GPA, Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

If this becomes the new trend in the US and elsewhere, it's going to have an impact.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

I think it's safe to say many of us has come to the same conclusion -- the rub lies in finding gainful employment/steady income source without a degree. Either that, or get out of dodge - leave the system entirely and live in the wilderness somewhere.

Steve Jobs dropped out of college and excelled - it seems to take a certain kind of person to forge a way for themselves like that - a marketing mind set. The drive and the mentality required to sell and to profit.

It's not something we are all born with - I can personally attest to being an abysmal marketer. On top of that, the canned marketing campaigns that are flying around the internet, especially the "life coach" niches, are just ridiculous. Why anybody thinks that it can work for more than the few who developed the system and turned it into a cash cow for their business is beyond me. ("do like I did and earn six figures! ..... while paying me thousands of dollars to learn how.....")

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

WhiteLove (22nd December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteLove (here)
    If this becomes the new trend in the US and elsewhere, it's going to have an impact.
    I went to 2 years of college, built up a nice little debt, realized it was completely pointless & quit going in 2004.

I spend my time wasting my time on certifications that the industry cares about, instead of wasting my time on a degree the industry cares about... so I'm still not sure how much of a change it is.. but at least my functional knowledge has greatly increased.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Nasu (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by The Freedom Train (here)
    I think it's safe to say many of us has come to the same conclusion -- the rub lies in finding gainful employment/steady income source without a degree. Either that, or get out of dodge - leave the system entirely and live in the wilderness somewhere.

Steve Jobs dropped out of college and excelled - it seems to take a certain kind of person to forge a way for themselves like that - a marketing mind set. The drive and the mentality required to sell and to profit.

It's not something we are all born with - I can personally attest to being an abysmal marketer. On top of that, the canned marketing campaigns that are flying around the internet, especially the "life coach" niches, are just ridiculous. Why anybody thinks that it can work for more than the few who developed the system and turned it into a cash cow for their business is beyond me. ("do like I did and earn six figures! ..... while paying me thousands of dollars to learn how.....")
    One thing worth watching out for is the fact that within the limitations of the classic education and media system you might have been taught about a lot of the limitations, maybe even to such an extent that it is more limiting than the reality truly is. I think it is important to make a reset from all of that first of all, then find out what the reality truly is like. When you aim for truth you are in the winning team. I don't mean that the more successful you are in making money and running great business, the better a truth seeker you are, I'm just saying that part of the lie is the limitation propaganda and to break free it is about finding out the truth.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

Nasu (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

There is an excellent video by David Brown
    DONT STAY IN SCHOOL (boyinaband on yt)
    with millions of viewers...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frances2014 For This Post:

Nasu (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

.. part of the lie is the limitation propaganda and to break free it is about finding out the truth.
    Part of that limitation propaganda is the requirement for a degree to "become something" though even that lie has grown very pale of late.

I'd like to think that being good at business, seeking truth, building a better mouse trap, understanding complex systems (reality) etc... all go hand-in-hand... at least in my experience

. I think it is important to make a reset from all of that first of all
    Seems like that would be such an individual thing though, very situational based on the person who is going through it.

Though at the same time we seem to have some plant tools that do a fairly good job of being a "universal reset" button for perception.

Quote Posted by Frances2014 (here)
    There is an excellent video by David Brown
    DONT STAY IN SCHOOL (boyinaband on yt)
    with millions of viewers...
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

genevieve (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016), WhiteLove (22nd December 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

The big joke is people who go to trade schools are supposed to be the ones who "couldn't get into University" but a trade is always useful, and tradespeople often end up making 4-5, or 10 times what a humanities graduate makes.

I read today that 25% of developers in the Apple app store make over 5,000USD per month. Those figures can be skewed and disputed, but there's a future in computing and STEM jobs. I'm not the best programmer, but I'm 100% capable of teaching web development classes. Within 6-12 months I'll be able to make mobile apps. React Native, Javascript variants and Phoenix/Elixir will be big technologies from 2017 onwards.

There's always a shortage of STEM graduates. I've seen wages for Indian programmers skyrocket in 2016. People who were on five USD per hour (<<< that is no typo, 5 measly USD) in January 2016 are now making 150 to 200 bucks per day.

This world was built by engineers. Why didn't they tell me sooner?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2016), genevieve (22nd December 2016), Karezza (2nd January 2017), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Time to get smart!

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    This world was built by engineers. Why didn't they tell me sooner?
    The future is in IP (Intellectual property) and communications related systems work, the current "white collar" world is going the way of the dinosaur.

Automation is about to hit the world like a sledge hammer & it will shatter the middle class of the US which mostly consists of people driving stuff around currently..

Think about what driverless cars will do with this map in mind (most popular job per state):
    Where are you?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Baby Steps (22nd December 2016), Bruno (22nd December 2016), genevieve (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

The educational system is like all other systems, at least in the USA, they are totally corrupted. Why in the world should it cost as much as it does? No one questions the yearly rising costs of education, medical care, insurance and all the other stuff we deem necessary. Anyone can buy a degree these days. I could get a degree for my dog if I was willing to pay enough. All of these systems are ways to funnel money into the hands of the very wealthy.

You might not even get a chance to have an interview without a degree so its just another way to put you in debt to the system. I wonder if the current generation of graduates will even be able to handle the workplace? The coddling and protective environments they are subjected to seems to make them ill prepared to emotionally handle anything that they don't like.

Personally, I find apprenticeship programs to be the best way to learn a trade and lots of those positions go empty. You can learn anything else you like on your own.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2016), genevieve (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

One thing worth watching out for is the fact that within the limitations of the classic education and media system you might have been taught about a lot of the limitations, maybe even to such an extent that it is more limiting than the reality truly is. I think it is important to make a reset from all of that first of all, then find out what the reality truly is like. When you aim for truth you are in the winning team. I don't mean that the more successful you are in making money and running great business, the better a truth seeker you are, I'm just saying that part of the lie is the limitation propaganda and to break free it is about finding out the truth.
    I hear what you are saying. My own sordid tale is not worth dragging out in detail here, I wouldn't want to bother anyone with reading it, but I see your point, and I also see how my own very proactive, out of the box, creative, enterprising self has been struggling to survive financially since 2009 when the economy tanked and I lost my job as I graduated. So I see your point - but limitations, at least in my own experience, are real. I was not taught about limitations in school. I was taught about them as I struggled to survive in a world where I wanted to believe that anything was possible, where I toiled in vain to make my visions a reality.

And yet, despite my current state of affairs, I see that I am being supported by the universe. It's all heading somewhere it seems.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

Chris411 (23rd December 2016), fourty-two (22nd December 2016), genevieve (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016)

25. Link to Post #13
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Interesting thoughts, TargeT. I don't see how intellectual property will be an issue in the future, what with the rise of open source, and Asia copying everything with impunity. But I'll listen to any arguments anyone has.

Hopefully Trump and Uber will be clever enough to phase in automated vehicles slowly, if they don't want a Robocop America on their hands. I think the automation conflict will play out slowly over decades.

I agree that technological unemployment may be a problem in the future, and I'm trying to get on the right side of the shift. Hence burning the midnight oil studying. Yes, white collar work is shrinking, no one cares what academics or politcians say any more. Political science students are more or less irrelevant. Computer science students, highly sought after. I wish I could go back in time and change my degree.

As others have said, specialized certificates are the way forward. Anyone can learn programming for next to no money nowadays. Most courses I took were free, I occasionally paid, but each one cost around 30USD, for a months worth of study.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Basho (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), The Freedom Train (22nd December 2016)

27. Link to Post #14
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

What I hear is that people are so pre-conditioned that to think outside the box is impossible.

What is the idea of a job? I need a job, gotta find a job.

Then I hear how trades people make oodles of money and 5000k/mo is the purported income. Is that really lots of money?

The entire premise of our society is skewed in favor of our masters, the financially elite. Why would such a system seem attractive to any other demographic?

Until we understand that all must be included, that basic rights mean more than just enough calories to survive per day then we will not see our way out of this mess.

Remove money from the equation and the answers come.

Education does anything but educate. That is not its mandate. It's mandate?: to condition the individual to a life of meaningless servitude.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bruno (22nd December 2016), Deega (22nd December 2016), Nasu (22nd December 2016), onevoice (22nd December 2016), TargeT (22nd December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread