+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fermi Paradox- Discussion

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member starlight's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Fermi Paradox- Discussion

Hello fellow Avalonians

This post should serve more as a discussion thread than anything. I'd like to discuss a topic we are mostly all familiar with: the Fermi Paradox.

One of my favorite (quite humorous) articles on this topic:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

I'd like to hear some opinions on some plausible reasons we have not received any ET contact. (Let me clarify -- contact as a whole species, not as personal experiences where some might have had encounters alone with ET's) Where in the "filter" do you think we fall in?

I will anxiously await for responses before jumping in discussion
    Last edited by starlight; 29th December 2016 at 02:31.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starlight For This Post:

Ankle Biter (22nd July 2021), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2016), Hym (29th December 2016), Michi (29th December 2016), shaberon (29th December 2016), toppy (29th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,522 times in 4,011 posts

Default Re: Fermi Paradox- Discussion

We, who?

Depending on who answers, there are those who will say they personally have such contact, or are convinced in the factuality of someone else's such contact.

For the "filter", I would estimate we are within about two hundred years of a man-made self extinguishing, if current trends continue. As a collective, if we are able somehow to ditch violence and reform environmental practices, then sure, we can avoid that, and it looks like there could be some superior ways of leaving Earth than rocket engines.

I'd also take it axiomatically that there are earthlike worlds with some kind of people, even though their body might be a slime pancake that extends pseudopods to use tools, they could still have passed such a "filter" and be much more "advanced" than us in some way. That doesn't equate to colonists or visitors. If they are more "advanced" they would know that they would eventually all perish from natural causes and would not fear death. Someone who thought they had to go out and harvest gold, oxygen, blood, or whatever resource, would be less advanced.

Now if you will grant the tenets of magic and say, is this kind of thing possible across the astral plane, then we can say yes, it does happen. The trouble there is that it is *more* illusionary and confusing than the physical world and therefor *much* more difficult for anyone to draw accurate information from it. So let's say that the slime pancake is an advanced magician and is able to project to earth, but if an earthling perceives him, they have a high chance of illusionarily "translating" him into their grandmother's ghost. Meanwhile, the guy's neighbor who had a chance to see grandmother's ghost, was so frightened that he immediately morphed her into an inhabitant of the Arcturus system, and her charming smile came out as "you are starting to access the sixth of fifteen dimensions".

It's still possible that someone could see and speak to his true form, or that he could "materialize" somewhat. I have no real trouble accepting that sort of thing versus a physical spacecraft slipping through a "wormhole" to cover the vast interstellar distances.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

toppy (29th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,536 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Fermi Paradox- Discussion

Quote Posted by starlight (here)
    Hello fellow Avalonians

This post should serve more as a discussion thread than anything. I'd like to discuss a topic we are mostly all familiar with: the Fermi Paradox.

One of my favorite (quite humorous) articles on this topic:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

I'd like to hear some opinions on some plausible reasons we have not received any ET contact. (Let me clarify -- contact as a whole species, not as personal experiences where some might have had encounters alone with ET's) Where in the "filter" do you think we fall in?

I will anxiously await for responses before jumping in discussion
    The so-called 'Fermi Paradox' is of course fatally flawed, because yes, ET visitors have been here for really quite a long time — likely tens of thousands of years or maybe far longer.

There's a ton of evidence to suggest that in ancient times, ET contact was very open. Myths and legends across just about every culture seem to state clearly that the 'gods from the skies' were very transparent about their interaction and communication with humans.

Nowadays, that contact seems much more covert and selective (but, maybe, still very widespread). Just not 'open'. Why? Maybe because we're perceived as more dangerous now, or possibly that contact itself may in some way be more dangerous for us...?

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ankle Biter (22nd July 2021), Baby Steps (4th September 2017), Buzzie (29th December 2016), Ernie Nemeth (29th December 2016), Foxie Loxie (29th December 2016), frodo13 (29th December 2016), Hym (29th December 2016), Lifebringer (31st December 2016), toppy (29th December 2016), TrumanCash (29th December 2016), Whiskey_Mystic (29th December 2016)

+ Reply to Thread