+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About the true nature of time

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default About the true nature of time

Wired has published an interesting scientific article about research into the true nature of time.

Scientists are basically scratching their heads, but they think that in absolute terms time does not exist, but that it might be a more gravity centric local phenomena with relative implications, e.g., relative to the point of observation and they are a bit clueless when it comes to the "birth of time".

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/quantu...witter#slide-1
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 30th December 2016 at 11:27.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (30th December 2016), animovado (30th December 2016), bobme (31st December 2016), DeDukshyn (30th December 2016), EFO (31st December 2016), eko (30th December 2016), genevieve (31st December 2016), i/o (1st January 2017), Mercedes (30th December 2016), raregem (30th December 2016), Richard S. (1st January 2017), sdv (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), Snoweagle (1st January 2017), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Default Re: About the true nature of time

For all my time spent trying to understand quantum anything, I have got to say I still can not really understand, it is so confusing and hard to grip. I feel so annoyed and dum. I need to find a book Quantum Physics for Really Dummies.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Art (30th December 2016), EFO (31st December 2016), Fellow Aspirant (30th December 2016), guyres (30th December 2016), raregem (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016), WhiteLove (30th December 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

At least twice in my life, I have made some sort of shift into another way of being. Basically, the ego or the part of me that spends its existence either protecting me or making me think I am something other than I really am, vanished. Also, I lost linear time. All I had was the moment with no history; no future.

I was able to think complex thoughts in the moment but as soon as that moment passed, the thought was gone. It was very odd and yet seemed very natural. I kept getting a message that everything was fine and I needn't worry. I was very calm and peaceful, despite wondering what would happen if somebody spoke to me. I knew that, with no linear time, I would be unable to unpack a sentence. People around me were talking and I had no idea what they were saying. Yes, I understood each word as it was spoken as a word occupies a moment, but could not string them together for lack of linear time. I could not remember the word that was just spoken, nor could I predict into the future.

Having had this experience, and while it was a series of moments that lasted for several hours, on both occasions, I can sort of understand that time might not exist.

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

Deega (30th December 2016), Ewan (30th December 2016), Fellow Aspirant (30th December 2016), guyres (30th December 2016), Mercedes (30th December 2016), Olaf (31st December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), Snoweagle (1st January 2017), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), starlight (31st December 2016), sunwings (31st December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016), WhiteLove (30th December 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,650 times in 21,532 posts

Quote Posted by Mercedes (here)
    For all my time spent trying to understand quantum anything, I have got to say I still can not really understand, it is so confusing and hard to grip. I feel so annoyed and dum. I need to find a book Quantum Physics for Really Dummies.
    In my estimation, that's the intended ... Quantum mechanics, general relativity, string theory, and such are one of the "finest" examples of "baffle them with b*llsh*t" of our times. They form a complex, but overall incoherent, mesh of complex mathematical models overlaying (accurately modeling) some, but far from all, of the evidence available to us. There are deep crevices of contradictions within and across this mesh, and pervasive inconsistencies with, or inability to model at all, what is observed in the real world.

The "real" science of the last century is hidden behind this mesh, in black op projects and such.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

annacherie (31st December 2016), Ewan (30th December 2016), ginnyk (31st December 2016), Mercedes (30th December 2016), raregem (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), Snoweagle (1st January 2017), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016), WhiteLove (30th December 2016)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    In my estimation, that's the intended ... Quantum mechanics, general relativity, string theory, and such are one of the "finest" examples of "baffle them with b*llsh*t" of our times. They form a complex, but overall incoherent, mesh of complex mathematical models overlaying (accurately modeling) some, but far from all, of the evidence available to us. There are deep crevices of contradictions within and across this mesh, and pervasive inconsistencies with, or inability to model at all, what is observed in the real world.

The "real" science of the last century is hidden behind this mesh, in black op projects and such.
    What do you suggest then? Seems once we leave this life we might/will ? understand much more? It just worries me that it just seems so out of our hands for now. But I guess I will have to wait for my passing of this life to know a bit more.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

EFO (31st December 2016), raregem (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), starlight (31st December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Quote Posted by Gillian (here)
    At least twice in my life, I have made some sort of shift into another way of being. Basically, the ego or the part of me that spends its existence either protecting me or making me think I am something other than I really am, vanished. Also, I lost linear time. All I had was the moment with no history; no future.

I was able to think complex thoughts in the moment but as soon as that moment passed, the thought was gone. It was very odd and yet seemed very natural. I kept getting a message that everything was fine and I needn't worry. I was very calm and peaceful, despite wondering what would happen if somebody spoke to me. I knew that, with no linear time, I would be unable to unpack a sentence. People around me were talking and I had no idea what they were saying. Yes, I understood each word as it was spoken as a word occupies a moment, but could not string them together for lack of linear time. I could not remember the word that was just spoken, nor could I predict into the future.

Having had this experience, and while it was a series of moments that lasted for several hours, on both occasions, I can sort of understand that time might not exist.
    Hi Gillian

Something similar to this experience happened to a friend of mine: while he was on the phone, he suddenly realized that although he could hear the voice of the person on the other end, he could not understand anything they were saying - their words were just gibberish. At the same time, he found that he was unable to speak - literally. That is, he could not create any sound with his voice. This was very distrubing to him, as he could think clearly while this was going on. He just couldn't decipher spoken words or generate any of his own. This lasted for several minutes, till the person on the other end, hearing no response from my friend, simply said good bye and hung up.

His wife, who has some medical expertise, diagnosed him as having had a stroke. Subsequent testing verified this. Suspicion fell to a migraine medication he was taking, which he has now cut back on.

So, I don't mean to question the existential/spiritual nature of your experience, but I think you should at perhaps consider the possibility that you have suffered at least a couple of strokes. I say at least, because sometimes they are so minor and involve such a small part of the brain that they are virtually unnoticed.

Please check out your symptoms at a trustworthy online medical advice site and, if you find a correlation or two, follow up this matter with your doctor.

Namaste,

Brian
    Last edited by Fellow Aspirant; 20th March 2017 at 03:14.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

gaiagirl (31st December 2016), Mercedes (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016)

13. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)

Yes, I feel you might be right. I think that vibrations and energy are ingredients, but that the established models are a highly limiting mesh of stuff probably with quite a lot of errors in them so hence they do not scale, theoretically they scale to some degree but with errors in them they collapse because of those errors. In practise with the right practical conditions you can find out things with real true data and from there work some of it out.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

shaberon (30th December 2016), Snoweagle (1st January 2017), SpookyMulder (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 times in 1,716 posts

We don't have "time".We create it because we don't have long term memory and "time" help us to create milestones for it.For example:can anyone tell what was happened or what he was doing on 23 February 1984 at 15:23?Nobody remember that.But almost all knows when WW II has ended and perhaps over 2000 years this moment will simply faded due to other major events,but it will remain written.

If we could remember all the events that passed through millions and millions of years ago,than we didn't need "time" due to a collective consciousness,but we don't have such a consciousness,yet.Momentarily is very hard to imagine how is to be connected to all human's knowledge and access it,without interfering in other "personal" zones of an individual.In this case will no need Internet network.

In the first all the "laws" and "standards" (including all forms of measurements as well as "time") were created for cheaters.Now these became what are now.

It's so simple and I really don't know why,quoted WhiteLove:
    Quote Scientists are basically scratching their heads
    instead to think/work to what really is important for humanity.

Is so d***n hard.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Mercedes (30th December 2016), shaberon (30th December 2016), toppy (30th December 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 times in 571 posts

We hear about "outside time and space" comments so that to me verifies that we are living INSIDE time. I have come to think that time is a prison, a created way to keep us in lockdown, suppressed with programming. Which again, is why we age and deteriorate.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

annacherie (1st January 2017), shaberon (30th December 2016)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,065 times in 4,063 posts

Relativity is a poor, counter-intuitive model.

However, Quantum arises as a consequence of the Conservation of Angular Momentum; it's not challenged by inventing something unobserved to explain 96% of the universe. It has "disclosed" Zero-point Energy since at least 1948 as the Casimir effect. I'm not aware of a potential argument against it, unlike Relativity.

Time is more or less a subjective experience of successive states of consciousness. Conventionally we refer to it with physical motion, but to a consciousness that is less disturbed, i. e. not experiencing a succession of states, it will not hold that conventional meaning.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

EFO (31st December 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Oh, isn't it true that the sense of 'time' *only* comes into 'play' if there's the sense of being an "independent self" ?

For example : "this" happened *to* "me", or "I can remember when ..."

But if closely inspected (reflected upon from a "calm" or "still" mind) the above does *not* "hold water" !

Why ? Because it is seen that the sense of being an "independent self" is itself illusory !

And as that "sense of self" falls away so too does the concept of "time" to reveal the natural state-of-things as being timeless !

Now, please don't take my word for it, but unless "you" put it into some sort of "practice", you'll never get a taste of what I'm saying and it will forever remain a topic for intellectual speculation.

But with any luck, you'll seem to "experience a shift" which hopefully won't just be a "fleeting momentary glimpse" of "timelessness" but that will apparently "endure for a while" with the possible "outcome" of an "irreversible" turn around in how you "see things" !!!

Right now, at this moment "you" are Conscious Awareness but this doesn't satisfy the "restless mind" which is forever "leaping" from "topic to topic" ... thus, may I suggest : There is only one place "to go" for the "answers" eh ?
    Last edited by Clear Light; 30th December 2016 at 23:59. Reason: Added a couple of words

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member raregem's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 times in 563 posts

Since time is entwined with the passing of a single year I try to understand the ability to change daylight savings time twice a year. Or, how can we still have all seasons correctly(?) when we lengthened the year from 360 days to current 365/6 days. Oh, is leap year where it all balances out?
    Is time within certain dimensions and not others? Similar to a space craft that may look small on the outside but, inside it is much more massive.
    Hope the last sentence makes sense in relation to time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to raregem For This Post:

EFO (31st December 2016)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member bobme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 times in 234 posts

Interesting topic to me. I have read and understood many view points on time . This seems to be a unsurtain topic to many, and I have no scientific explaination of time to offer. I do know I have witnessed my son age and grow. I have seen myself, and many others age. I have memorys of many things that actually occured in supposed actual time. So my question would be, was everything that has happened, in my perception of it happening, non linear time? Or was it linear time and happened? I can only understand what has happened for real to me. Where I live, lakes freeze over in winter, and thaw in spring. I do not understand how time cannot be real somehow. I Am typing this now, as I percieve it. So if time does not exist, why did it take me so long to post this? (I type with one finger).

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

I've just been watching a documentary about the pacific ocean version of the Bermuda Triangle.
    This is in the ocean off the eastern side of Japan.
    Like the Bermuda Triangle, the 'Dragon's' triangle is the site of mysterious disappearances of
    shipping and aircraft. There is a much greater incidence of shipping and aircraft loss in this region
    than in the Bermuda triangle. The Dragon's triangle is also region of frequent UFO and USO sightings.

The reason i'm introducing this to you in _this_ thread, is that several captains of ships and aircraft
    note missing time events. Not only the loss of 'psychological time'... where someone has basically
    lost, say, an hour... and can't account for what happened during that hour. But the loss of "local time".
    Where the time on wrist watches mysteriously losses time relative to the time specified by outside
    sources (such as radio stations or air traffic control)

On this basis... i'm offering you people the suggestion that time is local and perhaps gravitational:
    The Dragon's triangle is a region of particular seismic and magnetic volatility. Compasses point the
    wrong way and the pacific 'ring of fire' runs under the Dragon's triangle.

If you're interested in this topic. See here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWLWvkKf8Ng

be happy :-)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Fellow Aspirant (31st December 2016), gaiagirl (31st December 2016)

27. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Thanks for posting

For mankind to really get our hands around time and the UFO phenomenon and to further understand when and where they actually come from we will have to get a handle on Quantum Mechanics. Ole Max Planck open the door to our understanding the universe(s) and it is different than anything we ever imagined.

Here are a few quotes that may help

A quote by Niels Bohr
    Quote "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." Niels Bohr

A few quotes by Max Plank, considered the father of quantum mechanics
    Quote Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.

We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up to now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.
    Last edited by rgray222; 31st December 2016 at 04:19.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

gaiagirl (31st December 2016), thunder24 (31st December 2016)

29. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member starlight's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a strange experience the other day, regarding the nature of my dogs and how they view time.

I have two outside dogs (they love it- we have many acres) and the other day I was a little buzzed off some mary jane. I glanced out to the front of the house, and just stared. I noticed how incredibly still everything was. Trees weren't moving, no animals running around, no birds flying...Just absolutely still. Both my dogs laid on the porch and just gazed out the front yard. I stared for what seemed like a couple of minutes. It resonated in me that this is all my dogs see-- day after day, year after year... and they are content with it. They have zero understanding of time in reality. Sure, a dog can watch you leave and wait for you to come back, and he knows he's waiting... but for how long?

We as humans created a way to track our events in life. TIME puts reality in chronological order so that we make sense of it.

Truly baffling when you take a step back and realize that every creature lives in the present- unconcerned for future events or passed experiences.
    We are incredibly smart creatures to have the ability to comprehend the past, present and future. Trippy stuff to think about

30. The Following User Says Thank You to starlight For This Post:

frodo13 (31st December 2016)

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,650 times in 21,532 posts

What do you suggest then? Seems once we leave this life we might/will ? understand much more? It just worries me that it just seems so out of our hands for now. But I guess I will have to wait for my passing of this life to know a bit more.
    To quote myself from the Here & Now thread a few weeks ago:
    Quote The New Electromagnetism videos of Robert Distinti, Electromagnetism Foundation Series Playlist, provide the best quantitative, experimentally verifiable, consistent, and useful (for actually making things that work) theory that models how static, moving, and accelerating electrical charges effect each other, and of their "magnetic" (due apparently to accelerating charges in the ether) effects, that I know of.
    However, that's not a very helpful recommendation for most readers. Distinti is an electrical engineer with 30 years of experience, and he is very comfortable with higher mathematics, Maxwell's equations, and the various other main stream theories of our time involving electricity, magnetism, current, voltage, charge, fields, antennas, force, mass and such. He's rewriting Maxwell's work, from the foundation up, with the necessary associated new mathematics, in a way that has not been done (at least not in public view) in a century, since public physics got side tracked on the detours of relativity and quantum mechanics.

I don't have a good recommendation for most readers, other than perhaps rolling your eyes in dismay at those who provide such essentially unhelpful answers as I've just done .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Mercedes (31st December 2016), Snoweagle (1st January 2017)

33. Link to Post #18
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

its been said as youth when you get older time gets shorter, per reference of time... but i have talked to youngins and oldins that have all said time is speading up...
    talking to King anthony former avalon member, he noticed it to and put it this way in summary....

" its like a wheel, with all spokes pointing towards a center point, it seems to many that we are closer to the center point, and that on a wheel seems to be going faster, so itsnot about age, but about a period in time"

now time might not be theright word, but it seems that we are spinning faster... my words are not the best or accurate but i hope this makes sense i feel it also...
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

34. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member zen deik's Avatar
    Thanks

Edgar Casey said time was a necessary illusion..... I ponder...
    ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND THIS AIN'T IT

35. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member zen deik's Avatar
    Thanks

Time becomes a rare commodity as you get older... distracted by responsibility.... You have less free time, it doesn't move faster I think, just the illusion..?
    ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD IS THE END OF THE WORLD AND THIS AIN'T IT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast