Thread: "Eat more MEAT" - but it is "meat" from PLANTS, not animals

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default "Eat more MEAT" - but it is "meat" from PLANTS, not animals

Woah.. that one took me for a loop.

A startup called Beyond Meat has this statement:

Quote We believe there is a better way to feed the planet. Our mission is to create mass-market solutions that perfectly replace animal protein with plant protein.

We are dedicated to improving human health, positively impacting climate change, conserving natural resources and respecting animal welfare.

At Beyond Meat, we want to make the world a better place and we’re starting one delicious meal at a time.
    And in their Vision Statement -

"At Beyond Meat, we want all of the good and none of the bad. We want to eat delicious meat but we don't want any of the bad stuff that goes along with it. Is that too much to ask? Well no, actually. Not since we created meat from plants.

"Brilliant, right? Replacing animal protein with meat made from plants would do wonders for human health, for the environment, for conservation of natural resources and for animals. It's worth a fight. This is where you come in.

"Reduce your meat consumption and tell the world. Even if you're already eating less meat, you can help us spread the word and make a real difference. Together we can build a world that's zero downside and all delicious upside."

Now that is kinda amazing..

Now, I've tried the "old-style veggie burger" and it just doesn't cut it for me.. (Organic Buffalo certainly hits the spot..)

They modify the plant protein during processing so that it resembles "animal protein" (called 'meat').

Two favorite protein sources are derived Soy and ChickPea plant. (soy burgers certainly can get OLD fast for a seasoned connoisseur of aged prime rib..) The soy is used for the "chicken meat" formulation combined with the pea protein. I do have chickpea supplementation in meals now and then and it seems OK.. I can only imagine it processed to remove some of the "yuck factor"..

No need for killing cows, dogs, chickens, horses, turkeys, ducks for "protein". So potentially less cost, no "vet bills", no mucking...

The plant based protein claim says it is healthy, clean, and cholesterol-free - in short an ideal plant-based protein. (no animals were harmed in the making of this protein)..

From their "Meat Products" page - http://beyondmeat.com/products
    • The Beyond Burger - looks, tastes, smells like the best burger you ever had.. available at Whole Foods
    • Sweet Potato Chili - using Beyond Meat protein
    • Indian Curry - Made with Beyond Meat "Chicken" (no chickens were used but the meat looks and tastes like the best chicken)
    • Vietnamese Lemongrass with Beyond "Chicken" - fabulous and no chickens were used
    • Korean BBQ With Beyond Chicken - flavorful and no chickens were used
    • BEAST BURGERS (two styles, regular and "sliders) - Made with Non-GMO Pea Protein
    • BEYOND CHICKEN® STRIPS - Made with Non-GMO Soy and Pea Protein.

Additionally a "crumble" form is available so that one can make their own recipes..

Their Nov 2015 press release - http://beyondmeat.com/press/view/beyond-meat-and-chefd

Quote Meat and all the ingredients needed for a delicious plant-based meal right to consumers.

Beyond Meat aims to bring the Future of Protein to the center of America's dinner plate by developing delicious and nutritious plant-based meats the whole family can enjoy.

The company produces items ranging from burgers and meatballs to chicken poppers and beef crumbles--that deliver the taste, texture, and appearance of animal meat with none of the health or environmental downsides.

Now it's more convenient than ever to prepare delicious plant-based dinners for the family with Chef'd kits that are available nationwide through with no subscription or membership fees required to order.
    Wow.. a way to tell the brain it's eating "meat", a plant based protein which fully mimic's animal protein, and a way to reduce fat/weight buildup from animal based protein consumption.

The Beyond Meat Burger claims it is not using ANY GMO's, and is not using ANY SOY.. and a burger patty contains 20 grams of protein per serving (quarter pounder).

A minister who says I WANT and crave MEAT - "I am a meat eater" (but I want to loose some awful weight) - she tries this and says WOW - lost 15 pounds this month, about 21 days switching to this product - can't tell the difference that is isn't animal based.. (actually tastes better)

Seems this may be worth a try. I am definitely not into the steroids (growth hormones), or vaccines, or antibiotics in animal based protein. I have a feeling that animal based growth hormone "traces" in animal products has contributed to a whole host of human health related issues...

Regular veggie protein is "interesting", but the brain says "missing something..." (suppose its that omnivore/carnivore genetics.. ) And if I can get my weight down (I do exercise a lot..) this may be.. gluten free too..

Hmm eggplant rollup with some Beyond Meat crumbles... yum...

Heck wonder if they can do a "real egg" that works as good as a real chicken egg without the salmonella, or "overhead and issues" of the Tyson Phenomena..

2. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,223 times in 1,631 posts

Default Re: "Eat more MEAT" - but it is "meat" from PLANTS, not animals

I am vegetarian and have tried the Beyond products. They are very good. I actually prefer them to other meat replacements because of the pea protein, which is easier to digest. Yes, I am waiting for a good egg replacement.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (2nd January 2017), Chanlo23 (10th January 2017), Cidersomerset (2nd January 2017), Desire (6th January 2017), Flash (2nd January 2017), justntime2learn (2nd January 2017), kirolak (3rd January 2017), Omni (2nd February 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), Tarazeda (6th January 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    I am vegetarian and have tried the Beyond products. They are very good. I actually prefer them to other meat replacements because of the pea protein, which is easier to digest. Yes, I am waiting for a good egg replacement.
    I'm going to suggest that they work on a FISH and ShellFish replacement too... weeee shrimp tempura

I got a good feeling about this company..

5. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,746 times in 8,858 posts

what I love is that instead of telling meat eaters they are bad killers, they took their appetite and needs to transform it into something edible for meat eaters, healthy, environmentally friendly, good for the animals and humans. Really great thinking - no more fights from judgmental vegetarians - they went beyond judgment - and therefore found solutions

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Anchor (3rd January 2017), avid (3rd January 2017), Bob (2nd January 2017), Chanlo23 (10th January 2017), kirolak (3rd January 2017), Noelle (3rd January 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), Tarazeda (6th January 2017)

7. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    what I love is that instead of telling meat eaters they are bad killers, they took their appetite and needs to transform it into something edible for meat eaters, healthy, environmentally friendly, good for the animals and humans. Really great thinking - no more fights from judgmental vegetarians - they went beyond judgment - and therefore found solutions
    Isn't that a mindblowing strategy !!!

Weee I want a PIZZA made up this way, 3 "meat" pepperoni (Beyond Meat), burger (Beyond Meat), chicken (Beyond Meat).... ah the brain loves this...

8. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Is the Beyond Meat product line Kosher ??

Quote Beyond Meat's 100% plant-based products taste good, are widely available, and when labeled as such, are kosher certified by the Star-K. We could stop writing here, but want to share more on why this is a great addition to a healthy, kosher lifestyle. We remind you that we do love meat and poultry (the real thing) . . . braised, grilled, fried, seasoned, succulent. We are not vegans or vegetarians, however, we were delighted to discover a product as flavorful as Beyond Meat because it can reduce our meat consumption and help us serve healthier meals. Also, we always enjoy creating copycat kosher recipes, and these parve chicken and beef products help in our quest.

Many of Beyond Meat products are Star K certified when noted on the packages. We added the beefy crumble to our Mexican style rice, cheese and beans; We made “chicken eggplant parmesan” with the lightly grilled chicken strips; we crumbled beef-free crumbles over cheese pizza, and on quesadillas, and we made delicious cheesy lasagna. Beyond Meat products were named the #1 Food Innovation for 2014.

From the company: “Based in Los Angeles, California, Beyond Meat is on the cutting edge of plant protein research and development. With a goal of driving innovation and progress, the company provides plant-based protein foods - without sacrificing the taste, chew or satisfaction of meat.”
    from - http://www.koshereye.com/koshereye-f...yond-meat.html

9. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,466 times in 9,655 posts

I had high hopes for these products when I first heard about their philosophy.
    But when I tried one, it had very little flavor, though the texture was great.
    I tried to add flavor with spices, etc. but it still didn't appeal to my taste buds.
    I will try another one though, and hopefully they will improve.
    I have faith that is possible, because I have tasted vegetarian meat substitutes made my Asian companies that taste wonderful.
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Chanlo23 (10th January 2017), Noelle (3rd January 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), Tarazeda (6th January 2017)

11. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,761 times in 424 posts

There are great veggie products out there and seems like a growing market so we should expect more new choices to appear. If you continue to try the products out there, you will definitely find something that perks your palette!

Gardein is a favourite product at our house. Especially the veggie chicken! We call it "pretend chicken" - my favourite is the mandarin orange chicken. Also the chicken patties are awesome for "pretend chicken burgers"!

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Chanlo23 (10th January 2017), Desire (6th January 2017), Noelle (3rd January 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), Tarazeda (6th January 2017)

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,741 times in 1,233 posts

I don't take delight in entering enthusiastic threads will buckets of cold water, (there's a but coming)...

...but - it is still processed food. How are they stopping these products decaying. What gives them a shelf life enabling transportation, storage and distribution beyond the life of the original plants.

It would be great to reduce our reliance on prison style meat that currently dominates so much of our diet but I would hope this is just a tiny step towards a whole new way of looking at food production.
    Discovering a healthy processed food would be a major boost though I prefer the dream of bio-domes as the homes of the future. That is not something that will happen as long as profit is the main driving force of our cultures.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), angelfire (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Chanlo23 (10th January 2017), drneglector (3rd January 2017), Holly Lindin (3rd February 2017), Noelle (3rd January 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), sunwings (3rd January 2017), Tarazeda (6th January 2017), TargeT (3rd January 2017)

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

The products are frozen.
    Each breath a gift...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Ewan (3rd January 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017)

17. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Frozen sounds like a safe preservative. I've emailed and asked Ethan to describe the product line and discuss the "chemistry" involved.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I had high hopes for these products when I first heard about their philosophy.
    But when I tried one, it had very little flavor, though the texture was great.
    I tried to add flavor with spices, etc. but it still didn't appeal to my taste buds.
    I will try another one though, and hopefully they will improve.
    I have faith that is possible, because I have tasted vegetarian meat substitutes made my Asian companies that taste wonderful.
    What version did you try and which product from which company? I personally am not thrilled by veggie burgers, but I have never tried any products (yet) from Beyond Meat.

I am certainly also interested in a chicken egg substitute which is based on plant protein.. And shellfish and fish replacement also based on plant protein. If I can see the chemistry involved and follow it they may have a useful processing technique.
    Last edited by Bob; 3rd January 2017 at 02:49.

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

It was Beyond Meat "crumbles" I was referring to that were supposed to taste like beef, but were, to my palate at least, quite flavorless.
    I've tried other companies' meat substitutes that tasted better, but they always had toxic ingredients, so I've pretty much stopped using them entirely.
    The Asian meat substitutes I tried were canned and it was years ago, so I don't know the names of those companies, just that a friend bought them in an Asian grocery store.
    Each breath a gift...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), TargeT (3rd January 2017)

20. Link to Post #13
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,716 times in 7,043 posts

It was Beyond Meat "crumbles" I was referring to that were supposed to taste like beef, but were, to my palate at least, quite flavorless.
    I've tried other companies' meat substitutes that tasted better, but they always had toxic ingredients, so I've pretty much stopped using them entirely.
    The Asian meat substitutes I tried were canned and it was years ago, so I don't know the names of those companies, just that a friend bought them in an Asian grocery store.
    This has always been my experience as well; plus I'd be very interested/cautions in/about the method they are using to modify the protein structures.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Ewan (3rd January 2017), Holly Lindin (3rd February 2017)

22. Link to Post #14
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    This has always been my experience as well; plus I'd be very interested/cautions in/about the method they are using to modify the protein structures.
    Exactly, which is why I asked Ethan Brown (personally in an email) to describe the processing technique. There are some local stores close by here, so I will get a few of the products and then report on them. The crumbles probably are just like an additive, which one would add spices too, like for tacos or burritos , which certainly are spiced up with whatever one wants.

As to other company products, I have tried the other veggie items, and certainly was not impressed... This company though, I am curious about..

If protein without additives is wanted, which matches the texture of animal protein, why not? Soy is certainly not my favorite, I don't like the estrogenic-like properties that soy has been noted for... http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/eati...tion-2870.html phytoestrogens ... The pea products I am curious about.

Beef prices here are going through the roof.. Wondering what the pricing of these products are.

23. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,318 times in 526 posts

Do I have to be the one who tells you why I won't eat the product? Yes.

Here is a beginner's primer from Natural News on the hidden MSG and other unhealthy ingredients used in "vegetarian" products:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039638_to...pplements.html

MaltoDextrin, Yeast Extract, "Natural" Flavoring, etc....Some research is needed. Study on....

I never eat anything with Maltodextrin or yeast extract as ingredients in them. There are many, many ways of preparing dinners, and truly natural products without using these and other questionable ingredients. In fact I would never change my eating without making my foods tastier, more energy filled and easier to assimilate.

Stay away from hidden neurotoxins and quick release products that create a sugar response and especially those things that are prone to cause allergic reactions. Some things not gmo are still not good for the body, like soy and any protein "isolates". Keeping food in as much of it's "Whole" form is the best way to assimilate and use all of the nutrients available.

Why imitate the taste in meat anyway? I liked the taste of meat as a child, all kinds in all forms. I stopped because the high energy level I lived and have lived since then was slowed down when I had to use so much energy to assimilate meat and fish. I never, in the last 44 years of not eating meat, have tried to imitate the taste of meat in the food I eat. Why go there when there are so many thousands and thousands of flavor combinations available to try and enjoy. I am not repulsed by the smell of it, just as I am not attracted to eat it. No criticism here. I do accommodate meat eaters who visit, with their own cooking pots and pans, but very few meat eaters stay here as it is.
    If I had to eat it to survive, I'd thank the animal for it's life and eat it as slow as possible to give my body the time to digest it properly.
    Last edited by Hym; 3rd January 2017 at 03:59.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), angelfire (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Holly Lindin (3rd February 2017), peterpam (4th January 2017), Tarazeda (3rd January 2017)

25. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hym (here)
    Do I have to be the one who tells you why I won't eat the product? Yes.

Here is a beginner's primer from Natural News on the hidden MSG and other unhealthy ingredients used in "vegetarian" products:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039638_to...pplements.html

MaltoDextrin, Yeast Extract, "Natural" Flavoring, etc....Some research is needed. Study on....

I never eat anything with Maltodextrin or yeast extract as ingredients in them. There are many, many ways of preparing dinners, and truly natural products without using these and other questionable ingredients. In fact I would never change my eating without making my foods tastier, more energy filled and easier to assimilate.

Stay away from hidden neurotoxins and quick release products that create a sugar response and especially those things that are prone to cause allergic reactions. Some things not gmo are still not good for the body, like soy and any protein "isolates". Keeping food in as much of it's "Whole" form is the best way to assimilate and use all of the nutrients available.
    I went to the link you posted and I didn't see the particular company I mentioned in the OP post 1. Beyond Meat.

I asked the CEO to report on their product and I am awaiting a reply.

Thanks for pointing out other "processed veggie protein products". For instance I am certainly NOT a fan of "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" products.. I saw NO indication that the Beyond Meat products are of such a disgusting line. Did you?

26. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

You're Welcome, Bob. There are so many companies that produce vegetarian meat imitations that I doubt if there is a need to list a singular company as an example. It is one of the things that vegetarians and reluctant meat eaters as well have had to learn to do over the years, as corporations have adapted to the demand for healthier foods. Some companies get it and a large amount of them don't, because we see many products labeled one way, with good, healthy ingredients in them and then upon reading the entire ingredient list we find flavor enhancers, preservatives, and other unhealthy ingredients that require us to know what their source came from. It is a drag to see such outright b.s. when we see anything marketed that way...and we find that often.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Akasha (4th January 2017), Bob (3rd January 2017), Desire (6th January 2017), Noelle (2nd February 2017), Tarazeda (3rd January 2017)

28. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

You're Welcome, Bob. There are so many companies that produce vegetarian meat imitations that I doubt if there is a need to list a singular company as an example. It is one of the things that vegetarians and reluctant meat eaters as well have had to learn to do over the years, as corporations have adapted to the demand for healthier foods. Some companies get it and a large amount of them don't, because we see many products labeled one way, with good, healthy ingredients in them and then upon reading the entire ingredient list we find flavor enhancers, preservatives, and other unhealthy ingredients that require us to know what their source came from. It is a drag to see such outright b.s. when we see anything marketed that way...and we find that often.
    Excellent observation ! I tried the normal "veggie diets" and I was not impressed. And veggie burgers, and so forth.. Now I love organic Buffalo, locally raised and humanely slaughtered... Cow from feedlots just turns my stomach no matter whatever the processing.. A properly processed organic beef cow doesn't have that "tallow wax flavor", which I still cannot get out of my tastebud memory.. What intrigues me, is that Beyond Meat appears to be "different" in their processing approach, although I don't fully have all the details, I am eager to give the product a try and do an A-B comparison between for instance my favorite Buffalo or Elk, or Antelope cut and see how it compares.

29. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Also, there should be a great deal of caution when we find that a food product or supplement is not certified organic, AND EVEN THEN..., I would not buy that product if it is from China. They have proven to be untrustworthy. How did they get their certification in China? Love the Chinese and many have benefitted from their brilliance and the passing on of knowledge they received and cultivated from more advanced beings, but modern China is not modern at all, having had knowingly fed the world toxins for a long, long time...
    Ask the CEO if any of the ingredients are from there.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I have hunters and hunting guides as friends who never eat store bought meats, as they would tell me that they got sick when they ate anything they hadn't hunted themselves. They hunt, prepare, store and eat naturally.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Bob (3rd January 2017), Desire (6th January 2017), onawah (3rd January 2017), Tarazeda (3rd January 2017)

31. Link to Post #20
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Also, there should be a great deal of caution when we find that a food product or supplement is not certified organic, AND EVEN THEN..., I would not buy that product if it is from China. They have proven to be untrustworthy. How did they get their certification in China? Love the Chinese and many have benefitted from their brilliance and the passing on of knowledge they received and cultivated from more advanced beings, but modern China is not modern at all, having had knowingly fed the world toxins for a long, long time...
    Ask the CEO if any of the ingredients are from there.
    Seriously, some of the products from China have been dangerous where they have substituted MELAMINE plastic to make the apparent "protein" level seem up. I have a few threads in PA on the milk and dog/cat-treats that came out of China..which contain a stern warming.

One of my cats was killed by feeding him some of the Chinese bargain products before understanding how they compromised safety.. sheesh... The manager of that company committed suicide when it was revealed how their "baby formula" was contaminated all in the guise of "making a profit"..

So staying focused on the company Beyond Meat... that is where my interest is, in what they have done beneficially and certainly different in processing.

Our wild game sources here in Colorado likewise have noted certain care is needed with "wild game".. We in the States have had what is called Spongiform neuro-encephalitis, or the "mad cow disease" in wild deer/antelope and elk. I believe that prion disease exists in the feedstock of both domesticated harvested cattle and wild animals.. Such was reported in Canada also.

Point being, it is possible that a proper plant protein, may get past that "animal" protein disease.. mad cow disease could be behind what we think is "alzheimers", or a whole host of brain damage.. And could be a component in vaccines derived from animal or animal host products..

I'm willing to move away from animal products if the proper chemistry is there..

Do click and review the article on the Spongiform neural encephalitis disease - it is critical I think to understand the significance of that when consuming ANIMAL meat products..

Quote The clinical signs in humans vary, but commonly include personality changes, psychiatric problems such as depression, lack of coordination, and/or an unsteady gait (ataxia).

Patients also may experience involuntary jerking movements called myoclonus, unusual sensations, insomnia, confusion, or memory problems.

In the later stages of the disease, patients have severe mental impairment (dementia) and lose the ability to move or speak.

Early neuropathological reports on human prion diseases suffered from a confusion of nomenclature, in which the significance of the diagnostic feature of spongiform change was occasionally overlooked.

The subsequent demonstration that human prion diseases were transmissible reinforced the importance of spongiform change as a diagnostic feature, reflected in the use of the term "spongiform encephalopathy" for this group of disorders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transm...encephalopathy
    Been eating MEAT, wild or domesticated, and have any of the symptoms above? The prion disease at the moment has no cure..
    Last edited by Bob; 3rd January 2017 at 05:01.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast