+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VR Out-of-Body Experiences Can Remove Your Fear of Death

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,727 times in 1,319 posts

Default VR Out-of-Body Experiences Can Remove Your Fear of Death

The writing has been on the wall for some time now. Virtual and augmented realities will soon become a part of our daily existence, changing the nature of our reality and our perceptions of each other and the world around us. Aside from uses in entertainment, doctors are already prescribing virtual reality to relieve pain or anxiety, allow paralyzed individuals to better control prostheses, and have even created VR experiences intended to help head transplant patients with their transitions. Yes, you read that correctly: head transplant patients.

My head! What have you done with my head?!

More recently, neuroscientists at the University of Barcelona in Spain have created virtual reality experiences they claim can help with one of humanity’s most universal experiences: the fear of dying. Their research centered around the use of virtual reality to make users perceive a virtual body to be their own. Wearing headsets, users can watch as their real-world body movements are mimicked by an on-screen avatar. Special haptic devices even allow for virtual objects to be “felt” by users in the form of vibrations. Once users have established a connection with their virtual avatars, they are shown that same avatar from above, as if they are having an out-of body experience, or OBE.

According to their published data, researchers believe these virtual OBEs can help individuals conceive of their consciousnesses as being separate from their physical bodies:
    "Our results open up the possibility that the virtual OBE experience provides an implicit learning that consciousness
    in the sense of the centre of perception can be separate from the physical body, and that therefore death of the
    physical body is not necessarily the end of consciousness."
    Users were given a questionnaire at the conclusion of their virtual experiences which, among other things, asked them to rate their anxiety about dying. Those questionnaires showed that the virtual OBE participants ranked their fear of dying much lower than control groups who had no virtual OBE. While near-death experiences (NDE) have been shown in the past to make individuals far less anxious about death, this study claims that these virtual OBEs can have the same effect:
    "Our results are consistent with such empirical findings as there are, that people who have had spontaneous OBEs,
    not necessarily in the context of a NDE, are also likely to have reduced death anxiety."
    Little is known about either near-death or out-of-body experiences due to the fact that they are quite difficult to replicate in laboratory settings. Nonetheless, the fact that so many individuals report similar effects of both of these experiences shows that science can only go so far in explaining the greater mysteries of human experience. As researchers develop virtual experiences like this one, though, technology might soon be able to tap into parts of our consciousness previously limited to psychedelic or near-death experiences. Sign me up.

Source: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/0...fear-of-death/

peace...
    Last edited by Skywizard; 29th January 2017 at 04:50.
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th February 2017), Bluegreen (29th January 2017), Justplain (29th January 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th February 2017), meat suit (29th January 2017), Noelle (29th January 2017), penn (9th February 2017), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

Default Re: VR Out-of-Body Experiences Can Remove Your Fear of Death

The fear of death isn't the problem for me. .............Now, the fear of not having an OOB after my body die's, ..... well, that's another story.
    Last edited by Orph; 29th January 2017 at 05:24.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Justplain (29th January 2017), Lifebringer (29th January 2017), Noelle (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

There is plenty of research that indicates consciousness can separate from the body, predates birth and survives death. If using virtual reality gadgets help people to realize that, i suppose its ok. If one lives from the perspective of your immortal soul, one sees one's body and 'little me' mind as being kind of quaint and makes one want to get as much out of the ride as possible in a sprirtual sense.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Lifebringer (29th January 2017), meat suit (29th January 2017), Noelle (29th January 2017), Orph (29th January 2017), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2017), Wind (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

I read about this last week, and I thought, "Do we really need the technology?" I for, one, have been able to initiate many OBEs -- and I am NOT special nor are the thousands of others around the world who regularly induce them. But I have to say, if they ever hit the market, I would love to buy them as birthday presents for certain family members who are so boxed in by their belief systems that they may never have one of these experiences. My father had two near death experiences, two events in which he had to be brought back to life, but there were no out of body experiences, no nothing. His view of what happens after death is "dust in the wind," and there seems to be nothing that will change his mind. I have tried. He needs one of these for a jump start.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Justplain (29th January 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (8th February 2017), Orph (29th January 2017), Sunny-side-up (29th January 2017), uzn (8th February 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

Totally disagree, OBE´s are not prescripted Events. The Biggest VR-Experience up to now is the new Resident Evil 7 game. It´s about inducing Fear!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Lifebringer (29th January 2017), Noelle (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Pop-Pop, Dad and Grandsons need to know that.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (8th February 2017), Noelle (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,169 times in 10,102 posts

Fear of death?
    Death of fear?

The day Death fell in love with Life

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2017), uzn (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Get real, VR is mostly killing People (Games), and experiencing Fear (Horror- and Zombiegames).
    And secondly Cybersex:

That´s not my understanding of spirituality and enlightenment:

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

Noelle (29th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by uzn (here)
    Get real, VR is mostly killing People (Games), and experiencing Fear (Horror- and Zombiegames).
    And secondly Cybersex:

That´s not my understanding of spirituality and enlightenment:
    I totally agree. What I said above about getting one for my father was more in jest. A lot of the tools people use for OBEs, including crystals, Binaural Beats, Hemi-Sync, etc., are just tools. They are not necessary. I have found focused intent, relaxation breathing, and eliminating or minimizing physical reality distractions are all that is needed to tune into the non-physical or astral world.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

uzn (30th January 2017), Yuki (3rd February 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 times in 4,311 posts

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    My father had two near death experiences, two events in which he had to be brought back to life, but there were no out of body experiences, no nothing. His view of what happens after death is "dust in the wind," and there seems to be nothing that will change his mind. I have tried. He needs one of these for a jump start.
    Similar thing happened to a highly sceptical friend of mine some years ago.
    Apparently he 'died' in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He was fine eventually btw, but he later reported to me (knowing that I was interested in such things) that when you snuff it there was nothing after death. He saw nothing and experienced nothing - nothing at all. My not very helpful reply was, 'well you didn't really die then.'

I tried to argue the fact that basically, though he may have stopped breathing etc, he didn't at any point experience 'brain death', at which critical point we leave our bodies (and usually die proper to be honest, as brain death is not really reversible I don't think). But that didn't happen obviously, neither to him nor your father. Whatever the case, maybe a state of mind and one's belief system is partly responsible for inducing these NDE effects? Maybe it's a pre-planned lesson in life to have that experience and to grow/learn from it. Bottom line is in my opinion, not everyone when having a brush with death is going to have an NDE.

But brain death, that's different. Fear or no fear, scepticism or belief, at brain death you really do die, you exit your body no matter what and make the natural transition to the next reality (the "Actual Reality!", not this crude, dense "virtual reality" we live in now - and its really insane and perverse when you think about what we have created with this Virtual Reality technology, because it's really Virtual Virtual Reality).

Anyway, I did try to reassure my friend to allay his fears, that yes, there is something after death, but he didn't buy it! /sigh
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Noelle (8th February 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Quote Posted by LadyM (here)
    My father had two near death experiences, two events in which he had to be brought back to life, but there were no out of body experiences, no nothing. His view of what happens after death is "dust in the wind," and there seems to be nothing that will change his mind. I have tried. He needs one of these for a jump start.
    Similar thing happened to a highly sceptical friend of mine some years ago.
    Apparently he 'died' in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. He was fine eventually btw, but he later reported to me (knowing that I was interested in such things) that when you snuff it there was nothing after death. He saw nothing and experienced nothing - nothing at all. My not very helpful reply was, 'well you didn't really die then.'

I tried to argue the fact that basically, though he may have stopped breathing etc, he didn't at any point experience 'brain death', at which critical point we leave our bodies (and usually die proper to be honest, as brain death is not really reversible I don't think). But that didn't happen obviously, neither to him nor your father. Whatever the case, maybe a state of mind and one's belief system is partly responsible for inducing these NDE effects? Maybe it's a pre-planned lesson in life to have that experience and to grow/learn from it. Bottom line is in my opinion, not everyone when having a brush with death is going to have an NDE.

But brain death, that's different. Fear or no fear, scepticism or belief, at brain death you really do die, you exit your body no matter what and make the natural transition to the next reality (the "Actual Reality!", not this crude, dense "virtual reality" we live in now - and its really insane and perverse when you think about what we have created with this Virtual Reality technology, because it's really Virtual Virtual Reality).

Anyway, I did try to reassure my friend to allay his fears, that yes, there is something after death, but he didn't buy it! /sigh
    My gut says belief systems are a big part of it for my father. He went from being forced by his mother (his father died when he was 15) into Christianity, which he despised, to the other extreme, where he now puts all his faith into science, though I don't think he understands science -- he just trusts the scientists, the experts. I have to add that I thought he would never buy into the idea that we are spiritual beings having an experience in this world. But then, a little more than a month ago, he told me about a dream that he had. He had reconnected with one of his beloved dogs that had passed on a year ago. He was amazed by how lucid and "real" the dream seemed. He had never had such a dream. He has always told me that he never remembers his dreams. So, something happened.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (9th February 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by uzn (here)
    Totally disagree, OBE´s are not prescripted Events. The Biggest VR-Experience up to now is the new Resident Evil 7 game. It´s about inducing Fear!
    it does a lot more than that, but yes.. the "base" emotions will be leveraged heavily, (sex and fear)

a bit long, but shows how truely enjoyable VR is as an experience:

Not gonna lie.. I'm buying PS4 VR... & probably an Occulus or Vive later too.
    Last edited by TargeT; 8th February 2017 at 15:44.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

uzn (8th February 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)

it does a lot more than that, but yes.. the "base" emotions will be leveraged heavily, (sex and fear)

a bit long, but shows how truely enjoyable VR is as an experience:
    Dont get me wrong here TargeT, I have it and it looks great and plays great. But I would highly appreciate new concepts exept "killl everything to complete the game".

28. The Following User Says Thank You to uzn For This Post:

TargeT (8th February 2017)

+ Reply to Thread