+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange drones creeping out homeowners; Peering in windows...

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

Default Strange drones creeping out homeowners; Peering in windows...

Not sure I like where this is headed.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/strange-dro...s-in-southwest

Dave - Toronto

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), Bruno (21st February 2017), dynamo (20th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2017), NancyV (20th February 2017), raregem (20th February 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Default Re: Strange drones creeping out homeowners; Peering in windows...

Got the same in the middle of basically nowhere in the countryside, a drone flying for miles over the lake in front of our camp last sumner lucky I did not have a rifle, there would be no more drone

We figured they probably were looking at a potential weed/pot plantation on an island across, either the growers or the cops. Either way, pretty unconfortable when sunbathing thinking you are alone in the woods
    Last edited by Flash; 20th February 2017 at 00:43.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), Bruno (21st February 2017), dynamo (20th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2017), kirolak (21st February 2017), NancyV (20th February 2017), raregem (20th February 2017), Spellbound (19th February 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,224 times in 2,093 posts

Of course as technology advances we are faced with new issues. Quality drones are quickly coming down in price - soon the neighbourhood kid will have a drone that can fly better (crash less and give the kid more confidence to fly it anywhere). Better camera, longer range of distance for control and flying time. Eventually more power so it can pick up small items.
    Think of the possibilities - wow, if I was a kid with some cash I would be getting myself into trouble! 🙂
    Of course - not a laughing matter. But this easily shows how quickly we will be facing new issues as technology quickly advances.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), dynamo (20th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2017), NancyV (20th February 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

I'm a drone flyer !
    I have always been an avid model maker and got into the hobby years ago. I'm currently building ( for last 2 years !! ) an Avro Lancaster Bomber from plans by Tony Nijhus ( another year to go lol )
    I started playing with small "toy" drones about a year ago as the prices fell and am quiet intrigued with the on board computer stabilization boards used.
    One thing I can say is that for under £400 you only can get what I would call toy drones - limited distance ( 200m ) Limited height and limited run time (12 mins at best )
    Every time I hear of "near" misses with planes etc i wonder what the hell their flying !! - Most people will get the idea that is just kids with their toys but those "toys" must cost £2k upwards - some "toys"
    Also everyone that I come into contact with that own such expensive drones treat them with the respect they deserve and follow the rules, and have personal insurance etc ( everyone NEEDS insurance to fly anything - even a £5 chuck glider in the park.
    In my opinion - Drones reported near aircraft are NOT kids pranking or experienced hobbists but something much more sinister that our gov likes to play down ( terrorists would be TOP of my list )
    Privacy from private drones is another matter !

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2017), kirolak (21st February 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    I'm a drone flyer !
    I have always been an avid model maker and got into the hobby years ago. I'm currently building ( for last 2 years !! ) an Avro Lancaster Bomber from plans by Tony Nijhus ( another year to go lol )
    I started playing with small "toy" drones about a year ago as the prices fell and am quiet intrigued with the on board computer stabilization boards used.
    One thing I can say is that for under £400 you only can get what I would call toy drones - limited distance ( 200m ) Limited height and limited run time (12 mins at best )
    Every time I hear of "near" misses with planes etc i wonder what the hell their flying !! - Most people will get the idea that is just kids with their toys but those "toys" must cost £2k upwards - some "toys"
    Also everyone that I come into contact with that own such expensive drones treat them with the respect they deserve and follow the rules, and have personal insurance etc ( everyone NEEDS insurance to fly anything - even a £5 chuck glider in the park.
    In my opinion - Drones reported near aircraft are NOT kids pranking or experienced hobbists but something much more sinister that our gov likes to play down ( terrorists would be TOP of my list )
    Privacy from private drones is another matter !
    So am I, and you are completely right. My latest drone costed 1800,- Euro, I am insured, respect others privacy and don't bent the flight rules too much.
    I fly camera drones now for 4 years.

Here's my droneflight made last year in Scotland, perfect place to fly :

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Red Skywalker For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), Did You See Them (24th February 2017), Eram (20th February 2017), Ernie Nemeth (20th February 2017), kirolak (21st February 2017), petra (24th February 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Had one land on my roof last year or the year before.

As well, I caught one of those wall hanging units taking off from the outside brick wall, right beside my kitchen window. (same time period)

Training ops for the local military Intel personnel, is my suspicion.

Just another day in the life of....
    Last edited by Carmody; 20th February 2017 at 22:44.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Axman (20th February 2017), bluestflame (21st February 2017), kirolak (21st February 2017), raregem (20th February 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

long suspected drones will play a large part in what's planned ahead
    perfect localised delivery system

14. Link to Post #8
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Low and behold - an article published today - This is what I was talking about !

"A drone "narrowly avoided" colliding with a plane preparing to land in severe weather, the UK Airprox Board (UKAB) has said.

The Boeing 737 had been flying at about 6,000ft over Derby when the drone passed it at the same height and just 30 metres from its wing."

That is not a Drone that you or I can go out and buy and then fly at over 1 MILE in HEIGHT in SEVERE weather!

http://news.sky.com/story/drone-narr...rport-10780019

Would like your take on that article Red Skywalker
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 24th February 2017 at 16:02.

+ Reply to Thread