+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Children of the 4th World

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default Children of the 4th World

Children Living in the Guatemala City Dump; Children of the 4th World - Documentary

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Ankle Biter (16th March 2017), betoobig (28th February 2017), Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), conk (15th March 2017), Ewan (28th February 2017), Fairy Friend (28th February 2017), Helene West (1st March 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017), kirolak (28th February 2017), latina (28th February 2017), Mercedes (1st March 2017), Michelle Marie (28th February 2017), seko (28th February 2017), Slant84 (1st March 2017), Stephanie (28th February 2017), toppy (28th February 2017), Zanshin (28th February 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Default Re: Children of the 4th World

What Childhood Poverty Means in Guatemala

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

betoobig (28th February 2017), Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), conk (15th March 2017), Ernie Nemeth (1st March 2017), Ewan (28th February 2017), Fairy Friend (28th February 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017), kirolak (28th February 2017), Mercedes (1st March 2017), Slant84 (1st March 2017), Stephanie (28th February 2017), toppy (28th February 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks to Atlas for posting those videos. Right there that's why so many immigrants come here in order to get a better future for their children, they come here illegally because there is not another way. You guys here at Avalon really think those people can go to the American Embassy and get a green card? Do you think they can get even a 1000 yards distance from the American Building? That is impossible, that's why they risk their lives to get here, they come because they need some hope that their future could be better. Many of them die trying.
    Someone told once that Americans have not the obligation to save lives around the world and I understand that, but what's has been happening is that the American government without American citizens knowing it, they control other countries governments and they are the ones to blame for poverty in those countries with all the International Money Fund, World Bank and all those organizations measurements and politics that get these results. Very sad indeed...........

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to latina For This Post:

Atlas (28th February 2017), Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), Ernie Nemeth (1st March 2017), Ewan (28th February 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017), Mercedes (1st March 2017), Michelle Marie (28th February 2017), Slant84 (1st March 2017), toppy (28th February 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Quote Posted by latina (here)
    Thanks to Atlas for posting those videos. Right there that's why so many immigrants come here in order to get a better future for their children, they come here illegally because there is not another way. You guys here at Avalon really think those people can go to the American Embassy and get a green card? Do you think they can get even a 1000 yards distance from the American Building? That is impossible, that's why they risk their lives to get here, they come because they need some hope that their future could be better. Many of them die trying.
    Someone told once that Americans have not the obligation to save lives around the world and I understand that, but what's has been happening is that the American government without American citizens knowing it, they control other countries governments and they are the ones to blame for poverty in those countries with all the International Money Fund, World Bank and all those organizations measurements and politics that get these results. Very sad indeed...........

I grew up with Maryknoll Missionary magazines in my home which was not well to do but contributed nevertheless to this and other charities. There were lots of pics like this. These missionaries work largely in central and south america. So I know this. And i still say that we cannot help all the world's peoples.

I'm sure you don't open your home to needy strangers and turn your home into a rundown hotel. We cannot do that in this country or there will not be a country for yours or my family.

You know the story about Sympathy and Empathy.
    Someone was walking along the road and wasn't paying attention and falls into a deep hole. He's crying and yelling for help. Sympathy comes along and says, "O you poor dear and jumps in to give him comfort. After holding his hand for awhile and commiserating, Sympathy looks around and realizes he is now in the hole as well with no way to get out. Now they both are crying. Finally Empathy comes walking along the road, peers into the hole and sees their dilemma and says 'let me go to town and find help for you'. Open borders is Sympathy.

You mention the american government. We are more aware of what the ruling class has done to these and other countries. They are now in the process of attempting to do similar to Europeans. They are still in the beginning stages there i believe. But trying to make american citizens feel guilty, which I think you may be doing a little in your post because of your sadness of these children's plight, won't help. So-called white guilt has helped to destroy europe and has helped to make our bureaucracy here strained and insane. Making the wrong people feel guilty is wrong and doesn't work. I salute your compassion but we need a streamlined legal, workable way with sane parameters to help immigrants. Open borders for every poor person will put us in the same plight as Sympathy above. It is sad, so much is sad....

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Atlas (1st March 2017), Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), ByTheNorthernSea (1st March 2017), conk (15th March 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017), Karila (18th March 2017), lunaflare (15th March 2017), Slant84 (1st March 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

In the news: Dozens Dead Or Missing In Landslide At Ethiopian Garbage Dump

The death toll stood at 62 on Monday, according to The Associated Press, which cited the state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate. [...] About 150 people were at the landfill when the landslide happened, resident Assefa Teklemahimanot told The Associated Press; most of the victims were women and children.

Around 500 waste-pickers are believed to work at the landfill every day, sorting through the debris from the capital's estimated 4 million residents. City officials say close to 300,000 tons of waste are collected each year from the capital, most of it dumped at the landfill.

Landslide at Ethiopia's Largest Garbage Dump Kills Dozens
    Last edited by Atlas; 15th March 2017 at 08:58.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

White guilt won't work.

What will work is to clean our countries of incredible corruption, refuse to abide by the unparallelled corruption in these 3rd world countries (80 to 90% of their economy is under the table, hidden, with all the corruption that follows - nothing is straight - a country or a people cannot raise up to take care of themselves when like this) , and mostly stop overthrowing their governments when they are for the people, and stop abusing their natural resources.

And then giving help for their development.

The poverty comes from corrupt government in those countries accepting the brides and corruptions of our countries and our giant companies. On the other hand, they are put in place by our CIA and giant conglomerate to accept brides and all (if good, they are killed9
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Atlas (15th March 2017), Bill Ryan (15th March 2017), conk (15th March 2017), Iloveyou (15th March 2017), Karila (18th March 2017)

+ Reply to Thread