+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death of a monarch

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Default Death of a monarch

Here is an interesting piece on the queen of England’s eventual demise, an event they have been rehearsing for ever and which is obviously getting closer by the day
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-london-bridge

For lack of a better place, I am putting this in the Current Events section, although it may actually be another ten or fifteen years down the line. The operation is codenamed ‘London Bridge is down’ in order to avoid having more explicit terminology causing communications havoc. Use of the phrase seems to have been intensifying of late since Christmas, when the queen was ill, judging from this leak into my own communications; see this post from 2 January.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Atlas (18th March 2017), avid (17th March 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (17th March 2017), Bill Ryan (17th March 2017), BMJ (17th March 2017), enigma3 (17th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th March 2017), genevieve (17th March 2017), Gillian (17th March 2017), Karma Ninja (18th March 2017), Kate (17th March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th March 2017), Nasu (17th March 2017), Satori (17th March 2017), seko (17th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (17th March 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,712 times in 4,337 posts

Default Re: Death of a monarch

Thanks, fascinating article. I don't mean to sound disrespectful - as a Brit I can get away with saying it, but what a lot of pomp and nonsense. Sorry, but look at the huge fuss and massive coverage that celebrity deaths get these days. At first, it is natural to be automatically shocked and saddened by the unexpected death of someone we've heard of, particularly if we liked them, yet never once met in person. If the media can spend days and days eulogizing David Bowie or Michael Jackson, the death of the Queen will be a monumental and never-ending outpouring of international devotion and bereavement - an establishment love-in - the likes of which we've never seen before.

Potentially, and hopefully, to the point where people get thoroughly p***ed off with it, the Queen, Charles, Establishment, Royalty itself, the Media itself, and the whole tedious shebang of fake tributes, fake glory, and no doubt steaming piles of fake grief. During which I hope, at some point, it will drive people, the sheeple, particularly the young mobile-phone-staring-millennial-type sheeple, so mad, so indignantly mad, that they will have a revelation, "ding!", and begin to ask those questions they have never asked before!

Such as: what did she actually do for those 90 odd years, other than cutting ribbons, presiding over banquets, opening schools, hospitals, and buying her clutch of race horses? What did she actually do? What actually was the Queen? What was her family and its whole institution actually for? What was the point? With all Her Majesty's astronomical mega wealth, why the bloody hell should we pay for her funeral!? [And finally] Hey, why can't we be a republic?

No doubt her death will be a watershed event, but maybe it will have a positive spin, in changing popular opinion at long last. We'll see.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

araucaria (17th March 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (17th March 2017), BMJ (17th March 2017), Chakra (18th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th March 2017), genevieve (17th March 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    [And finally] Hey, why can't we be a republic?
    Why not, indeed? The practical problem is getting from monarchy to republic in a peaceful manner, which would mean a vote in Parliament countersigned by the monarch. Forced hara-kiri is an oriental concept rather foreign to western Europeans. Any other solution is liable to get messy, involving various conflicting interpretations of the notion of treason. See these posts here and here.

Edit to add:
    Actually we do have a rather interesting precedent for a Brit committing hara-kiri: one Leo Boland, chief executive of the Greater London Authority, who made himself redundant on discovering that he was basically doing Mayor Boris Johnson’s job – which suggests incidentally that Johnson was getting paid for doing nothing: until it was Boland’s turn... An expensive (or lucrative) business all round.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/boris...f-6565805.html
    Last edited by araucaria; 17th March 2017 at 16:56.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th March 2017), BMJ (17th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th March 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

So they bump them off.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gillian For This Post:

BMJ (17th March 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 times in 404 posts

Great article araucaria. No other country does pomp and ceremony quite like the Brits. I like it. The formality of it in such an informal world is predictably refreshing. I'll be looking for the corgi.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

BMJ (17th March 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 times in 436 posts

No other country does pomp and ceremony quite like the Brits. I like it. The formality of it in such an informal world is predictably refreshing

I must say I do too, enigma...

The Queen is the emblem of dignity, nobility and refinement.
    No matter your viewpoints, Monarchy, is a rich part of European history, tradition and culture.
    I would rather listen to Her Majesty than watch Miley Cyrus strut around (naked) on stage...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

sheme (17th March 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

When I used to work in broadcasting we had a large number of prepared, recorded obituaries for heads of state all round the world; rather amusing that one was accidentally (?) played once, when the subject was alive & well. . . .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

fourty-two (18th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th March 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

No one will be surprised when QE 2 passes- at her age it can be anticipated, rather surprised she continues her duties as well as she does- Once we are free from European Union -UK will be a great place to live once again.

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 times in 285 posts

Quote Posted by lunaflare (here)
    No other country does pomp and ceremony quite like the Brits. I like it. The formality of it in such an informal world is predictably refreshing

No matter your viewpoints, Monarchy, is a rich part of European history, tradition and culture.
    I would rather listen to Her Majesty than watch Miley Cyrus strut around (naked) on stage...
    Greetings all,
    This post saddens me. Then all the sacrifices of fine humans such as Kenneth Annett , David Icke , Jordan Maxwell, count for what ?

Do you wish a return to the days of " Droite de Seigneur " ?
    The time is right for the end of all inequality so far as Serfdom and Aristrocracies.

For me it matters not a jot, whether Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Liz, and all the aristocracy are being used by other entities { Archonic origins [?] } ; or whether they have complete distain for humans.. Enough is enough, Let all knowledge be availableto all.

These 'people' have ultimate power, ONLY because we allow it [ collectively ]

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frenchy For This Post:

Chakra (18th March 2017), Ernie Nemeth (17th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th March 2017), Mercedes (18th March 2017), seko (17th March 2017), wnlight (18th March 2017)

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,696 times in 640 posts

Frankie Boyle echoes my views on the Queens future funeral

"And we would dig a hole so deep that we would hand her over to satan personally"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Chakra (18th March 2017)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 times in 221 posts

Quote Posted by Frenchy (here)
    Quote Posted by lunaflare (here)

Greetings all,
    This post saddens me. Then all the sacrifices of fine humans such as Kenneth Annett , David Icke , Jordan Maxwell, count for what ?

Do you wish a return to the days of " Droite de Seigneur " ?
    The time is right for the end of all inequality so far as Serfdom and Aristrocracies.

For me it matters not a jot, whether Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, Liz, and all the aristocracy are being used by other entities { Archonic origins [?] } ; or whether they have complete distain for humans.. Enough is enough, Let all knowledge be availableto all.

These 'people' have ultimate power, ONLY because we allow it [ collectively ]
    When you study Anthropology, at least at the college I went to... you discover that the royalty is actually a product of hut dwelling event planners. Very briefly the guys that planned the big feasts became the big men and then the big chiefs, that eventually down the line stopped actually working and through family linage became 'royalty'.

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 times in 221 posts

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    No doubt her death will be a watershed event, but maybe it will have a positive spin, in changing popular opinion at long last. We'll see.
    Maybe we can then stop sending our really hard earned money in the way of (seriously way to high) taxes to be then wasted across the pond!

+ Reply to Thread