1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Default The wisdom to know the difference

Some here may be familiar with what is known as, "The Serenity Prayer."

In speaking for myself, though I suspect others may experience the same... sometimes life just sneaks up and grabs you in a way that you never expected, in a way where nothing external "happened" which can be pointed to as some "life changing event," but yet, it suddenly dawns on you that some "magic line" has been crossed. And the reality one finds oneself suddenly faced with... changes everything.

So a popularized version of the Serenity Prayer suddenly feels very fitting.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference.

I am not religious. I see the word "God" and I think/feel "The Universe"... but I still find myself sometimes engaged in prayer, contemplation, meditation with "that."

I will leave it to history to look back upon the moment I submit this post to judge whether or not I actually achieved this wisdom I feel I acquired just this morning... I should say... "what I was overwhelmed by this morning"... and which I am proclaiming at this moment.

[HINT: Paul would probably say... "What took you so long?"]
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

animovado (27th March 2017), araucaria (23rd March 2017), avid (22nd March 2017), Baby Steps (22nd March 2017), Bluegreen (28th March 2017), boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), CD7 (28th March 2017), conk (23rd March 2017), drneglector (23rd March 2017), Eram (22nd March 2017), Ewan (22nd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), genevieve (22nd March 2017), Inversion (22nd March 2017), Jantje (22nd March 2017), Jean-Marie (22nd March 2017), justntime2learn (22nd March 2017), Kate (22nd March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th March 2017), mgray (23rd March 2017), Mike (23rd March 2017), Noelle (22nd March 2017), Pam (22nd March 2017), PurpleLama (22nd March 2017), sanma (26th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (22nd March 2017), sunpaw (28th March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017), ThePythonicCow (13th April 2017), william r sanford72 (22nd March 2017), Wind (22nd March 2017), Zampano (22nd March 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Default Re: The wisdom to know the difference

I dunno, Chester/Sam. I was faced last week with a very real event that had me stomp my foot and let universe know I would not accept the outcome, and where wisdom (and all else) failed me, the outcome was simply changed. I will speak to this in detail one of these days, but for now, suffice it to say that amazing things (miracles!) can and do happen when one engages universe as the flip side to one's own experiential self.

The gratitude I feel for the outcome of our current situation can not be overstated.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Sam, I have actually used the Serenity Prayer as a guide over the years. I don't use it as a prayer, merely as a reminder to determine whether what I am not accepting can or should have anything done to it. If I can do anything, I need to do it, if not, I can choose to be mentally unbalanced by hanging on to the thought I am having and ruminating about. If I choose to hang onto the thought it will not be of any benefit, other than to my ego. The other option is to release it.

I find that the wisdom inherent in the Serenity Prayer is not something I get to keep unconditionally and use every time because I understand the benefits of it. I have to remember that it is an option and choose to use it. I think that might be true of all wisdom.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

araucaria (23rd March 2017), Baby Steps (22nd March 2017), boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), Chester (22nd March 2017), Eram (22nd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), genevieve (22nd March 2017), Swan (22nd March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

I like that prayer very much Sam and a different version has become my life motto some time ago.

"Accept what you cannot change and change what you cannot accept"

There's another version that's pretty funny imo

"Lord, Give Me Coffee to change the things I can, and Wine to accept the things I cannot"

In any case, if applied properly, there's a balance to be found where you are at peace with the world and all life in it and and at the same time set in motion change for the better (the latter of which many so called enlightened people sort of forget tot do).

@ purplelama, We want your story! Tout de suite, maintenant, right this minute!!!
    hylozoic tenet: “Consciousness sleeps in the stone, dreams in the plant, awakens in the animal, and becomes self-conscious in man.”

7. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

animovado (27th March 2017), araucaria (23rd March 2017), Baby Steps (22nd March 2017), boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), Chester (22nd March 2017), DeDukshyn (22nd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), genevieve (22nd March 2017), Jantje (22nd March 2017), Jean-Marie (22nd March 2017), Kate (22nd March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th March 2017), Pam (22nd March 2017), PurpleLama (22nd March 2017), sanma (26th March 2017), Swan (22nd March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017), Zampano (22nd March 2017)

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)
    I dunno, Chester/Sam. I was faced last week with a very real event that had me stomp my foot and let universe know I would not accept the outcome, and where wisdom (and all else) failed me, the outcome was simply changed. I will speak to this in detail one of these days, but for now, suffice it to say that amazing things (miracles!) can and do happen when one engages universe as the flip side to one's own experiential self.

The gratitude I feel for the outcome of our current situation can not be overstated.
    You were merely granted the wisdom to know the difference.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

animovado (27th March 2017), araucaria (23rd March 2017), Chester (23rd March 2017), Eram (23rd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), PurpleLama (23rd March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

You were merely granted the wisdom to know the difference.
    Lest it seem you are taking the wind out of his sails, let me extract three morals from your comment. First, the mere fact of putting one’s foot down very firmly can of itself bring about change: you don’t necessarily have to form an action committee. Secondly, it would seem that we are generally erring on the side of too much acceptance, and having the wisdom to tell the difference means including more things among the changeable things. Consequently thirdly, the way we change things would appear to be something we might change: much of what we do at Avalon and elsewhere is about withdrawing acceptance, even though we are often in no position to form an action committee. How we do this is by taking acceptance up to a higher level. One thing we learn to accept is of course... change. Another we learn to accept being... acceptance, as the one constant among all the variables. God, please put some brandy in this coffee

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

animovado (27th March 2017), boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), Chester (23rd March 2017), DeDukshyn (23rd March 2017), Eram (23rd March 2017), Ernie Nemeth (24th March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), PurpleLama (23rd March 2017), sanma (26th March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017)

12. Link to Post #7
    Ecuador Avalon Member boolacalaca's Avatar
    Thanks

It's wonderful Sam to hear of your clarifying moment - thank you.

I do like the line -- ""Accept what you cannot change and change what you cannot accept"
    for it seems if karma is be worked out in this world, then surely we must be the instruments of karmic action -- who else is there?

My wife always likes this one for inspiration:

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann

I always found Desiderata a bit wordy. For my liking, I would go with this one:

When an ordinary man attains knowledge, he is a sage; when a sage attains understanding, he is an ordinary man.
    Last edited by boolacalaca; 23rd March 2017 at 12:45. Reason: added text

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to boolacalaca For This Post:

Chester (23rd March 2017), Eram (23rd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (23rd March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th March 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd March 2017)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Interesting posts to read! boo...please tell your wife I enjoyed her poem!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), Chester (24th March 2017)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

This definitely reminds me of a difficult time in my life where I became rather obsessed with this suggestion. I was in so much emotional pain and was so desperate for relief. I realized one day that I was lacking the key component in the whole narrative: the wisdom to know the difference. I was incensed. I felt like the saying was mocking me.

While I have doubts that I am significantly wiser today than I was then, it seems to me at least that I am potentially more capable of transcending my situation...

I had a dream the other night that I was surrounded by suspicious looking men in trenchcoats, and peaced out - flying up and away from them, soaring over trees and parties of people. It was a lovely dream.

The next night, I had a dream that I was trapped in a tower, and was being chased by a ghoulish-like creature. It was like a game, with each level presenting a new challenge to be overcome. I decided to hell with all these levels, and skipped them all, going straight to the top. I looked over my shoulder, seeing the ghoul coming up the stairs, just about to step out into the room, and I looked down, seeing several playing cards in my hand. One of them had a symbol of a silhouette of a person flying - it was like a get out of jail free card. I was like, dang I play the flying card! And flew away. When I woke up and reflected on this one, I laughed out loud. It was like the best ending to a strategy game ever.

I hope that these dreams reflect more than just wishful thinking, not just for myself, but for all beings.

May you soar over your challenges, and find new perspectives that carry you into a higher state of being

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

boolacalaca (23rd March 2017), Chester (24th March 2017), Eram (23rd March 2017), fourty-two (24th March 2017), genevieve (28th March 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (24th March 2017), Wind (23rd March 2017)

18. Link to Post #10
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Quote Posted by Eram (here)

@ purplelama, We want your story! Tout de suite, maintenant, right this minute!!!
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1142741

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Sorry for your wife. I wish her all the best.

However, you are sending us through links on a wild chase. What have you seen that couldn't be??? What were the horrors of H election? Or any other thing?

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

araucaria (29th March 2017), PurpleLama (27th March 2017)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Hi PL, I just saw these posts. Understand... the Universe is as the Universe does. (accept the thing you cannot change... like the past).

Very Gump.

Very true.

I wish your wife and yourself and family the best, Sam.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

araucaria (29th March 2017), PurpleLama (28th March 2017)

+ Reply to Thread