+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Magnesium supplement - what form is best?

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Magnesium supplement - what form is best?

Quote Posted by Olaf (here)
    According to drnibber.com/understanding-different-types-of-magnesium..

Quote Magnesium orotate ... has good bioavailability has had been studied specifically for heart health. Orotates can penetrate cell membranes, enabling the effective delivery of the magnesium ion to the innermost layers of the cellular mitochondria and nucleus.
    Nevertheless, it can be hard to fix the deficits with magnesium orotate.

Below you see the result of a multi trace element analyses of one of my patients (DMSA mobilisation test).
    Last year this woman took almost 700 tablets of 500 mg magnesium ororate. Nevertheless, she still has a magnesium shortage of -59 percent.

BTW: you see also very huge deficiencies of ferrum and lithium, selen, kobalt (= vitamin B12), molybden, and vanadium.

Attachment 35081
    Magnesium orotate is a very bulky mulecule. 500 mg of mag orotate yields only about 31mg of elemental magnesium - so trying to fix a deficiency on 62mg a day isn't really expected to work. 3000mg of orotate per day is the qty needed to combat a deficiency, but also, using only mag orotate to combat magnesium deficiency wouldn't be wise, plain due to the much higher cost of this form. However, the orotate form is very bio-available and does have other substantial benefits especially regarding cardiac health. Magnesium oxide, while containing 45% elemental magnesium is also relatively poor at combating major deficiencies, plain due to its very low overall bio-availability; however, if constipation is also an issue - this is the magnesium for you.

As mentioned, the right form depends entirely on what you expect to use it for.

I personally use a blend - Glycinate, Aspartate, Malate, and Ascorbate, yielding 100mg of elemental magnesium per capsule. I jut take one a day for maintenance -as a nice side effect, when I started taking this a twitch in my eyelid went away.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (28th March 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Mike (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (26th March 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 times in 571 posts

Lithium is a bit tricky. It doesn't take much to become toxic.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (28th March 2017), Dennis Leahy (28th March 2017), Mike (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bettye198 (here)
    Lithium is a bit tricky. It doesn't take much to become toxic.
    True. This is why the orotate form was created (lithium orotate). There are other forms like carbonate and citrate but the bioavaiolability of those is dependant on other factors and it is harder to control proper dosage. The citrate and carbonate forms I believe are drugs to be prescribed by physicians only due to this. Lithium orotate is available in supplement stores.

That said, lithium is an essential mineral and deficiencies can cause serious issues related to cognition and overall mind wellness. There has been some interesting results in some of the trials and research with lithium as a supplement. However, most foods and drinking water do have trace amounts, and the body does not need much.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (28th March 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Mike (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (29th March 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

magnesium threonate is a relatively new form to emerge, and is believed by some, including dr mercola, to be the best form due its ability to penetrate the mitochondrial membrane.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th March 2017), Dennis Leahy (30th March 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), onawah (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (30th March 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    magnesium threonate is a relatively new form to emerge, and is believed by some, including dr mercola, to be the best form due its ability to penetrate the mitochondrial membrane.
    A little more on L-Threonate ... From the link I posted somewhere back there ... not a whole lot of peer reviewed study data yet, but it is showing great promise as yet another form of magnesium for another somewhat targeted application.

Magnesium-L-Threonate: This form of magnesium has recently been studied to improve memory and brain function. One preliminary study in animals found that it significantly enhanced both short-term and long-term memory, boosting scores by 15% for short-term memory and 54% for long-term memory compared to magnesium citrate.8 Based on this study, it appears that magnesium-L-threonate is a highly absorbable form of magnesium that can improve brain function. While this research is promising, more is needed to confirm its benefit.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (30th March 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Mike (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,609 times in 20,703 posts

To cut down on the number of supplements I've been buying, I'm ordering this for the first time: Trace Minerals Research Trace Mineral Drops ConcenTrace®
    https://www.vitacost.com/trace-miner...race-8-fl-oz-4
    It says there:
    Quote Description
    The Most Powerful, All-Natural, pH Balancing Trace Minerals in the World
    Soluble, Ionic, Vegan
    Certified Vegan, Gluten Free
    Concentrace® Trace Mineral Drops is a natural mineral concentrate that is so concentrate that 40 drops (1/2 teaspoon) equals the mineral content of 1/2 cup sea water with 99% sodium removed. You may expect a wide spectrum of nutritional benefits. For regular or sodium restricted diets.
    Directions

Begin regimen by taking 1/4 teaspoon (20 drops) for 3 consecutive days. Each day thereafter, increase dosage by 5 drops up to 1/2 teaspoon (40 drops) once or twice daily. Mix with any beverage or food at mealtimes to mask the concentrated mineral flavor followed by a glass of juice or water. Moderately ncreased dosages are safe if needed or desired, but larger amounts may cause a laxative effect.
    Free Of
    Known allergens, gluten
    Disclaimer
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1/2 Teaspoon (About 40 Drops)
    Servings per Container: 96
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Magnesium 250 mg 63%
    Chloride 690 mg 21%
    Sodium 5 mg 0%
    Potassium 3 mg 0%
    Sulfate 37 mg *
    Lithium 395 mcg *
    Boron 370 mcg *
    *Daily value not established.
    Other Ingredients: Ionic sea minerals. Contains no other added ingredients. In addition Contains no other added ingredients. In addition to the elements listed above, this product contains the following in naturally occurring, varying trace amounts: Bromide, carbonate, calcium, silicon, nitrogen, selenium, phosphorus, iodide, chromium, manganese, titanium, rubidium, cobalt, copper, antimony, molybdenum, strontium, zinc, nickel, tungsten, germanium, scandium, vanadium, tellurium, tin, lanthanum, yttrium, silver, gallium, bismuth, zirconium, cerium, cesium, gold, beryllium, hafnium, samarium, terbium, europium, gadolinium, dysprosium, thorium, holmium, lutetium, erbium, ytterbium, neodymium, praseodymium, niobium, tantalum, thallium, rhenium, indium and palladium, plus the other elements found in sea water. This list is in approximate descending order.
    Has anyone tried this, or have an opinion?
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (30th March 2017), Mike (29th March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    To cut down on the number of supplements I've been buying, I'm ordering this for the first time: Trace Minerals Research Trace Mineral Drops ConcenTrace®
    https://www.vitacost.com/trace-miner...race-8-fl-oz-4
    It says there:
    Quote Description
    The Most Powerful, All-Natural, pH Balancing Trace Minerals in the World
    Soluble, Ionic, Vegan
    Certified Vegan, Gluten Free
    Concentrace® Trace Mineral Drops is a natural mineral concentrate that is so concentrate that 40 drops (1/2 teaspoon) equals the mineral content of 1/2 cup sea water with 99% sodium removed. You may expect a wide spectrum of nutritional benefits. For regular or sodium restricted diets.
    Directions

Begin regimen by taking 1/4 teaspoon (20 drops) for 3 consecutive days. Each day thereafter, increase dosage by 5 drops up to 1/2 teaspoon (40 drops) once or twice daily. Mix with any beverage or food at mealtimes to mask the concentrated mineral flavor followed by a glass of juice or water. Moderately ncreased dosages are safe if needed or desired, but larger amounts may cause a laxative effect.
    Free Of
    Known allergens, gluten
    Disclaimer
    These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1/2 Teaspoon (About 40 Drops)
    Servings per Container: 96
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Magnesium 250 mg 63%
    Chloride 690 mg 21%
    Sodium 5 mg 0%
    Potassium 3 mg 0%
    Sulfate 37 mg *
    Lithium 395 mcg *
    Boron 370 mcg *
    *Daily value not established.
    Other Ingredients: Ionic sea minerals. Contains no other added ingredients. In addition Contains no other added ingredients. In addition to the elements listed above, this product contains the following in naturally occurring, varying trace amounts: Bromide, carbonate, calcium, silicon, nitrogen, selenium, phosphorus, iodide, chromium, manganese, titanium, rubidium, cobalt, copper, antimony, molybdenum, strontium, zinc, nickel, tungsten, germanium, scandium, vanadium, tellurium, tin, lanthanum, yttrium, silver, gallium, bismuth, zirconium, cerium, cesium, gold, beryllium, hafnium, samarium, terbium, europium, gadolinium, dysprosium, thorium, holmium, lutetium, erbium, ytterbium, neodymium, praseodymium, niobium, tantalum, thallium, rhenium, indium and palladium, plus the other elements found in sea water. This list is in approximate descending order.
    Has anyone tried this, or have an opinion?
    A guy I worked with once also was, or was an ex, rep for Trace Minerals. Part of the main hypothesis is that the human body may indeed need (as in be essential) or at least reasonably can utilize for increased health, rare elements in trace amounts. Some minerals may indeed be essential but just in such trace quantities that it can't be reasonably confirmed. Such a supplement removes that question.

Have always been intrigued but never tried it myself.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 31st March 2017 at 01:30.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (31st March 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), onawah (31st March 2017), Sunny-side-up (31st March 2017)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

This as a side note connection to your important OP
    It has reminded me of Santos bonacci who adds much knowledge relating to the workings of our body, mind and soul and religious texts.

Santos Bonacci gave/has a great vid/lecture.
    He call the minerals 'Salts', he goes on to show how we all start off with a deficiency at birth, due to our position in the years cycle (Astrology) and how we should make note and address it with our children etc.
    Can't put my memory on the particular vid name atmo though

Here is a simplified vid of his work, the true meaning of Ascension (The Christ within), which all takes place within each of us.

If you haven't read/watched any of this mans works, I fully recomend
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

DeDukshyn (1st April 2017), Dennis Leahy (5th April 2017)

17. Link to Post #29
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

From my research Magnesium Citrate is said to be the most bio-available form for oral ingestion. Epson salt baths are an easy and relaxing way to get magnesium topically.

I've been researching Sensory Deprivation Tanks recently and plan on "Floating" soon.

Basically you float in a tank full of epson salt water. The epson salt level is so high that you literally float on top of the water. The water and air temperature are dialed in to match the average skin temperature. The tank itself is built in a way to prevent all light and sound from entering. You are left floating with your own thoughts. The only sounds are your own breath and heart beat and the only visions are those that you make in your mind. Many report vivid colors and lights during the float. Almost everyone leaves the float feeling extremely relaxed. People with depression and anxiety say this has improved their sense of wellbeing.

I've mimic'd this a bit with an epson salt bath, with all the lights off and some ear plugs. Very relaxing and medative. Unfortunately I couldn't completely remove all the sounds of the city nor the lights. Also my bathtub isn't big enough to float without touching anything.

I found a few float centers in my city they run about $60-80 per hour but there is a groupon right now that drops it to $40 that I plan on buying soon.
    Last edited by Octavusprime; 3rd April 2017 at 19:15.
    (Insert signature here)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (5th April 2017)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,606 times in 5,714 posts

Okay ive just started the mag threonate. 3rd day in.

Gave me a dull headache at first....but thats true of almost any new supplement I take, especially ones for brain health.

Ive settled in now and I dont notice any massive difference. I do feel a bit more relaxed and my muscle spasms seem to have dissipated some. I have a month supply so we'll see.

At 3 pills a day its a litte bit of a nuisance. Plus at around $30 its pricey for a mag supplement. But like I said, I just started. I.ll provide an update after the month is up

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th May 2017), Dennis Leahy (5th April 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), onawah (6th May 2017)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Dr. Mercola's article and talk on magnesium threonate:
    http://products.mercola.com/magnesium-supplement/

and some useful info here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...esium-atp.aspx
    Quote Besides magnesium citrate, there are a variety of other magnesium supplements on the market. I personally prefer magnesium threonate, as it seems to penetrate cell membranes, including your mitochondria, which results in higher energy levels.

It also penetrates your blood-brain barrier and may help improve memory. The following table summarizes some of the differences between the various forms. Whichever supplement you choose, avoid those containing magnesium stearate, a common but potentially hazardous additive.

Magnesium glycinate is a chelated form of magnesium that tends to provide the highest levels of absorption and bioavailability and is typically considered ideal for those who are trying to correct a deficiency Magnesium oxide is a non-chelated type of magnesium, bound to an organic acid or a fatty acid. Contains 60 percent magnesium, and has stool softening properties
    Magnesium chloride / Magnesium lactatecontains only 12 percent magnesium, but has better absorption than others, such as magnesium oxide, which contains five times more magnesium Magnesium sulfate / Magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) are typically used as a laxative. Be aware that it's easy to overdose on these, so ONLY take as directed
    Magnesium carbonate, which has antacid properties, contains 45 percent magnesium Magnesium taurate contains a combination of magnesium and taurine, an amino acid. Together, they tend to provide a calming effect on your body and mind
    Magnesium citrate is magnesium with citric acid, which has laxative properties

Magnesium threonate is a newer, emerging type of magnesium supplement that appears promising, primarily due to its superior ability to penetrate the mitochondrial membrane, and may be the best magnesium supplement on the market
    Other Important Nutrients That Work in Tandem with Magnesium
    One of the major benefits of getting your nutrients from a varied whole food diet is that you're less likely to end up with unbalanced nutrient ratios. When it comes to magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, and K2 also come into play. These four nutrients work together synergistically, with one supporting the other. All of them are needed in order for each individual nutrient to perform properly.

An appropriate magnesium to calcium ratio is thought to be 1:1. Excessive amounts of calcium without the counterbalance of magnesium can lead to heart attacks, strokes, and sudden death. If you're calcium deficient, your best bet is to increase consumption of foods high in calcium before opting for a supplement. This is because many high calcium foods also contain naturally high amounts of vitamin K2.
    Nature cleverly gives us these two nutrients in combination, so they work optimally. Good sources of calcium include nuts, seeds, and dairy, especially cheeses and vegetables, although veggies aren't high in K2. One exception is fermented vegetables where a starter culture specifically designed to produce ample amounts of K2 was used.

Homemade bone broth is another excellent source. Simply simmer leftover bones over low heat for an entire day to extract the calcium from the bones. You can use this broth for soups, stews, or drink it straight.

For vitamin D, you want to be in the optimal range of 50 to 70 ng/ml. Sensible sun exposure is the ideal way to optimize your levels, but a tanning bed and/or vitamin D3 supplement (and to a lesser degree certain foods) can also be used during winter months when you're unlikely to produce enough vitamin D from sun exposure.
    The optimal amounts of vitamin K2 are still under investigation, but it seems likely that 180 to 200 micrograms (mcg) of vitamin K2 might be enough to activate your body's K2-dependent proteins to shuttle calcium to the proper areas.
    Boost Magnesium to Optimize Your Health and Energy Levels
    The evidence is clear: if you want to optimize your mitochondrial function, metabolism, and reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease, one of the things you need to do is consume adequate magnesium. Magnesium also plays a role in your body's detoxification processes and therefore is important for helping to prevent damage from environmental chemicals, heavy metals, and other toxins.

Even glutathione, your body's most powerful antioxidant that has even been called "the master antioxidant," requires magnesium for its synthesis. Your need for magnesium can be magnified by factors such as age, stress, lack of sleep, alcohol consumption, insulin resistance and diabetes, prescription drug use, an unbalanced gut microbiome, poor kidney function, and more.

Among the most common symptoms that your body is lacking in magnesium are "Charlie horses" (the muscle spasm that occurs when you stretch your legs), muscle or coronary spasms, fatigue, nausea, and headaches or migraines.

These are all warning signs indicating you probably need to boost your magnesium intake, either through your diet or through a magnesium supplement. For more details, please see Dr. Dean's blog post, "Gauging Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms."14

While it's best to get your magnesium from your diet, most foods are deficient in magnesium and other minerals due to being grown in mineral-depleted soils. Fertilizers like glyphosate also act as chelators, effectively blocking the uptake and utilization of minerals.

As a result, I believe it would be prudent for most people to consider a magnesium supplement. This is my personal strategy even though I have access to organic foods.

Another way to improve your magnesium status is to take regular Epsom salt baths or foot baths. Epsom salt is a magnesium sulfate that can absorb into your body through your skin. Magnesium oil can also be used for topical application and absorption.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th May 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (8th May 2017), Mike (6th May 2017)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

More recommendations for epsom salt baths here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1151159
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (8th May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2