+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blockchain Will Save Free Speech

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,559 times in 1,013 posts

Default Re: Blockchain Will Save Free Speech

Quote Paul said:
    "Should" ?? ... Globally ?? -- Are you saying you want a global system in place sufficient to track all government spending and taxing ? Any globally controlling agency with sufficient power to track all spending and taxing by all governments is a global agency sufficiently powerful to enslave humanity.

LOL. Do i want a "Big Bro Global Fascist Police State" enslaving the entire planet. Not quite. How about all public funds being totally and accurately accountable so there will be no more statements such as " we can't account for $2.3 trillion dollars of pentagon expenditure". No more government waste of public funds etc. Imho public funds are being syphoned off into black projects etc. This needs to stop. The only way is to be able to accurately account for all government spending and revenue collection WITHOUT a 1984 Orwellian scenario. I don't think that you have to have the global enslavement of humanity to be able hold the system of government accountable.

cheers
    Last edited by ponda; 10th April 2017 at 02:47.
    When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic ~
    Dresden James.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017), Morbid (10th April 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

Quote Posted by ponda (here)
    I don't think that you have to have the global enslavement of humanity to be able hold the system of government accountable.
    Yes - seems we're in a bit of Catch 22 here. The only way evident to make our oppressors more responsible is to give them more power to oppress us.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 times in 321 posts

Paul do you realise that anyone can make a cryptocurrency today? there are all sort of different systems by now, bitcoin is so happened to be the first one with largest network effect. there are coins that run on tor & other encrypted networks. no matter what scrutiny or regulation bitcoin might go through in future, it will not stop you or me to just simply switching to something less observed for our one-on-one transaction..
    i mean i dont wish to step on anyone's toes here - you are a mod after all & your opinion is highly valued here. though unfortunately most things you listed above is rather your subjective opinion, none of us knows whether things happened the way they ment to. internet was also created by large corporations (& those above them) to control us all, but wait, isnt it what we use today to freely communicate & share our opinions? your life is quite dependant on internet today as you spend number of hours here. im not trying to attack you but just providing a mirror.
    ;
    how can we shape people's opinion without knowing the subject? - educating oneself is the path where other's opinions stop being matter. im not asking to be listened - just spend some time trying to understand the subject rather than absorbing opinions regarding it.
    funny that knowing all about central bank fraud we here still use their money daily & keep our savings within the system. it seems that one of the most effective ways we can implement to fight this dragon is through our pockets! the fight got to start somewhere.. right?
    Last edited by Morbid; 10th April 2017 at 22:31.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morbid For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017), ponda (11th April 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Morbid (here)
    Paul do you realise that anyone can make a cryptocurrency today? there are all sort of different systems by now, bitcoin is so happened to be the first one with largest network effect. there are coins that run on tor & other encrypted networks. no matter what scrutiny or regulation bitcoin might go through in future, it will not stop you or me to just simply switching to something less observed for our one-on-one transaction..
    Yes - anyone with sufficient technical skills can make a cryptocurrency using blockchain technology. I am confident that I could do so myself, if I were so inclined.

Many others have created cryptocurrencies. The site that I currently use to track cryptocurrency prices, CoinMarketCap.com, lists some 696 distinct cryptocurrencies at this point.

Some of my comments above were concerning the underling blockchain distributed database technology, and I deliberately used the term "blockchain", not "bitcoin", in these comments. Blockchain technology deliberately trades off both the abilities to handle high volume and to provide low latency confirmations, in favor of the ability to avoid depending on any single "master" record that is under the control of a single, perhaps untrusted, party.

If there were some way to fight central bank fraud, I'd enthusiastically consider it. Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies based on blockchain technology claim to be such a possible way.

Having spent considerable time studying these currencies and this technology, I have come to the conclusion that this is a false claim. It moreover seems likely to me that some of the more capable agents of our overlords know that this is a false claim, and they are deliberately encouraging this false claim in the alternative media as yet another distraction from and partial hangout covering up, the real dynamics of our civilization's monetary system.

Just because I need something bad, and something claims to meet that need, doesn't mean I embrace that thing, if I conclude that its claims are false.

===

The ability to transact with a few other parties in secret, hidden from the prying eyes of our overlords and from the grubby hands of more common thieves, is of little value, if the thing transacted can not be exchanged in the "real world" for the goods, services, taxes and debt payments that most of us, who are not serious isolationists, seek to acquire or pay for in the public markets.

===

So, yes, I presumably could make a blockchain based cryptocurrency that kept transactions hidden from the minions of the elite (at least until they had reason to focus their surveillance on this), but:
    1. Neither that cryptocurrency nor any other cryptocurrency so conceived and so constructed using blockchain technology across an open and evolving set of servers will ever handle the transaction load of a sizable proportion of the world's economic activity, nor provide suitable response times for such a workload.
    2. As much as I'd like to stick it in the eye of the Fed and associated Banksters, no such cryptocurrency threatens to provide any end run around or opposition to them. Rather, instead, I expect that the Banksters plan to make good use of blockchain technology themselves, as part of the backbone of their "new world banking order".
    3. Currencies, of whatever form, are "in demand" only when they are either useful for paying for something of value (such as buying oil, buying opiates, paying taxes or paying debts, in our present world), or convertible in volume to such a currency. Existing cryptocurrencies, such as the 696 distinct cryptocurrencies listed at the above link, "serve" and provide value at the whim and pleasure of our financial overlords.
    When and if the day comes that I cannot convert the small fraction of one Bitcoin that I own to into some currency useful for making purchases or paying taxes, outside of the Bitcoin ecosystem, then on that day my fractional Bitcoin will become worth even less than a US Confederate Dollar, the day after the Confederates lost the US Civil War in 1865. I won't even have a nicely engraved piece of paper to decorate my wall with or to serve as scratchy toilet paper.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 11th April 2017 at 10:46.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Flash (21st April 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

By the way, I have been involved with a very similar technology to the blockchain, since its inception in 2005, long before Satoshi Nakamoto introduced the blockchain to the world in October of 2008.

In 2005, Linus Torvalds created a distributed source control system called "git", which uses a distributed chain of cryptographically secure changes to a shared source tree to manage the Linux operating system kernel. I was heavily involved in Linux kernel development at the time, as the primary author of cpusets, the ancestor of what's now known as cgroups. I had a long history with software source control systems at the time, having:
    • worked across the hallway from Marc Rochind, the creator of SCCS inside Bell Labs,
    • been the lead architect and developer for another such source control system, called MESA, also used inside Bell Labs,
    • been the lead architect and developer for a major ctools rewrite, the main source control system inside Silicon Graphics,
    • worked across the hallway from Larry McVoy, the developer of Bitkeeper, the system used for the Linux kernel prior to git, and
    • been an active Linux kernel developer at the time that it switched from Bitkeeper to Git.
    I know source control, and I know git, which uses essentially the same technology as the blockchain, to solve a different problem, that of reliable, distributed, software source code management. I also understand the mathematics involved, with a Mathematics degree and decades of experience dabbling in cryptography.

Distributed, cryptographically secure, change sequences, whether for software updates or financial transactions, are an important technology for the present and for the future, on the World Wide Web.

However applications of this technology are and will necessarily continue to be "purpose built", for specific uses with somewhat limited transaction volumes and not very stringent latencies.

The world-wide use of such technology for a substantial proportion of the world's financial transactions will necessarily be in a multi-tiered structure, involving many smaller blockchains, and gatekeepers both between these many blockchains and at the "entry" and "exit" doors, where monetary worth enters and leaves these blockchains. The minions of the elite bastards will become these gatekeepers, and impose whatever laws, taxes, limitations, fraud, and extortions they can on the flow of funds on and off various blockchains. Such is already the case now, and will remain the case, for the forseeable future.

The glowing reports of the importance of the blockchain, such as in the new documentary The Blockchain and Us, are one part correct, one part high production quality, one part high promotion quality, and three parts hype. Just listen to it ... it reeks of hype. And it's misleading, in my considered and experienced opinion.

The single most important word in my above imposing blizzard of claims is "gatekeeper".

For a better understanding of what I mean, I recommend studying the works of Michael Hudson, such as Paul Craig Roberts discusses in his recent article The World’s Best Economist, which is a review of Hudson's most recent book J is For Junk Economics: A Guide to Reality in an Age of Deception. Hudson frequently uses the term "rent extraction" to refer to the extraction of fees, profits and taxes from the many economic "toll booths" that are constructed in our civilizations economic activity. See for example this recent interview of Hudson, Why Deficits Hurt Banking Profits, by Sharmini Peries of The Real News Network.

(By the way, economics is another area in which I have studied for years. I was once even, albeit briefly, a student in the Graduate School of Economics in the University of North Texas.)

Rent extraction, by gatekeepers imposing their way at various (figurative) toll booths, in a world of many blockchains involved in a multitude of legal jurisdictions, is what we have now in cryptocurrency, and what we will have even more so in the future, as an increasing proportion of financial and monetary transactions go onto blockchains.

Blockchains (very much the plural here) are the wave of the future. Unfortunately, the blockchain technology will serve to more stringently impose its constraints on transaction flow, thus favoring, not restricting, the rent extractions of gatekeepers.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Flash (21st April 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 times in 321 posts

wow its sounds like you're on top of it all. good luck & see you in future!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morbid For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (11th April 2017), ponda (11th April 2017)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Paul said;
    Yes - seems we're in a bit of Catch 22 here. The only way evident to make our oppressors more responsible is to give them more power to oppress us.

No not really. The old systems are failing and change is on its way.

“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.” ~ Victor Hugo
    When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations,
    Dresden James.

14. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Nice to learn about your background....good to know someone of your "stature" is here on Avalon!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Bruno (11th April 2017)

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Short 1 min video that shows some of the early possibilities that the blockchain might have on voting in the future.

cheers

Blockchain Voting & The Future Of Democracy

Nowadays, voting is mostly carried out using paper based systems which despite their inexpensiveness and accessibility have two major setbacks; firstly, paper voting systems are almost entirely dependent on the honesty and security of personnel supervising the procedure; secondly, paper voting systems have a scalability problem which can be reflected on the accuracy of the results of the voting procedure.

The blockchain technology represents a scalable solution to the problems affecting today’s voting systems via offering a fraud-proof mechanism for electronic voting

In September 2016, The Economist partnered with Kaspersky Labs to organize a competition where MBA students from the USA and Britain competed to create voting systems that are built using the blockchain. The Votebook team won the competition and presented what can be considered an effective blockchain based voting system.

Votebook create a blockchain voting model that closely resembles the present system, utilizing voting booths and stations while backing up the voting process, which took place on the blockchain, via paperwork.

Although voters’ experience in Votebook’s blockchain based voting model will closely resemble the present voting experience using EVMs in the USA, it will be way more secure, reliable and hack-proof. So, the blockchain technology cannot only change the way we vote, but it can also totally introduce democracy to a whole new level.

Dresden James.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Morbid (21st April 2017)

18. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Although voters’ experience in Votebook’s blockchain based voting model will closely resemble the present voting experience using EVMs in the USA, it will be way more secure, reliable and hack-proof. So, the blockchain technology cannot only change the way we vote, but it can also totally introduce democracy to a whole new level.
    More "secure, reliable and hack-proof" in theory, which means "ignoring reality."

However, anytime that the means of counting votes is "magic" for most of those voting, then the election results come under the control of the "magicians" who actually develop and operate the "magical" devices. Everyone else has to take it on faith that the claims by these magicians that the vote counting machines or software are fair, reliable and honest.

Any such faith is grievously misplaced.

Honest elections require that ordinary voters be able to view and understand the vote counting process.

If everyone had the mathematical and software background I had, and if everyone could easily examine the actual software code running in a "blockchain based" voting mechanism and know it was the actual code, unhacked, being used, then a blockchain based voting mechanism could work.

... back to the reality we live in on this earth ... paper ballots, that both the voter and the vote counter can easily understand, counted locally in each voting precint, are the best vote tallying mechanism that I know of.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st April 2017), PurpleLama (8th April 2019)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

These vids from this thread give a more detailed explanation of how blockchain tech might be used in the voting process in the future.

cheers

And here are two documentaries that highlight the flaws and corruption in the current systems.

Stealing America: Vote by Vote - A Documentary on Voting Fraud

STEALING AMERICA: Vote by Vote brings together behind-the-scenes perspectives with a focus on the U.S. presidential elections. Startling stories that warrant serious investigation range from vote counts that don't match votes cast to sweeping disenfranchisement of minority voters and many other examples of election results. We hear from voters who experienced a wide range of problems, including votes flipping from one candidate to another, and not enough machines to serve the number of voters. Investigative journalists describe how their reportage on election fraud was ignored. First-person testimonies speak of waiting in line nine hours to vote. We hear polling experts' requests for data was rejected. Ballots were being systematically destroyed, making audits impossible. The bottom line message is for voters to be aware and to take responsibility and report irregularities.

Hacking Democracy - Hack Votes

This is the hack that proved America's elections can be stolen using a few lines of computer code. The 'Hursti Hack' in this video is an excerpt from the feature length Emmy nominated documentary 'Hacking Democracy'. The hack of the Diebold voting system in Leon County, Florida, is real. It was verified by computer scientists at UC Berkeley.

Last edited by ponda; 21st April 2017 at 22:41.
    Dresden James.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ponda For This Post:

Morbid (22nd April 2017)

22. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

These vids from this thread give a more detailed explanation of how blockchain tech might be used in the voting process in the future.
    What stops that "third party vendor" who has the contract to verify ID's from verifying a few extra thousand or million (depending on the size of the election) "voters", who represent "the highest bidder" for that vendor's election "enhancing" services?

By the way, there is almost no "more detailed explanation" of blockchain technology in these two videos. Other than mentioning a blockchain's purported immunity to hacking, almost nothing in these videos goes into any blockchain technology.

In my estimation, we're being sold another scheme, to make it easier to steal elections while at the same time making it easier to convince voters that the election results are honest.

And here are two documentaries that highlight the flaws and corruption in the current systems.
    Yes - the current systems are corrupt.

Beware the offered solutions, however.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd April 2017), JRS (5th April 2019), Reinhard (22nd April 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (22nd April 2017)

24. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    For a better understanding of what I mean, I recommend studying the works of Michael Hudson, such as Paul Craig Roberts discusses in his recent article The World’s Best Economist, which is a review of Hudson's most recent book J is For Junk Economics: A Guide to Reality in an Age of Deception. Hudson frequently uses the term "rent extraction" to refer to the extraction of fees, profits and taxes from the many economic "toll booths" that are constructed in our civilizations economic activity. See for example this recent interview of Hudson, Why Deficits Hurt Banking Profits, by Sharmini Peries of The Real News Network.
    Here an excellent four part discussion between Michael Hudson and John Siman, a "Classicist" who is clearly well schooled in the history of ancient civilizations around the Mediterranean. The series is entitled The Delphic Oracle Was Their Davos: A Four-Part Interview With Michael Hudson About His Forthcoming Book The Collapse of Antiquity.Michael Hudson, drawn out by someone who understands much of the classical history that will be behind Hudson's upcoming book The Collapse of Antiquity, does an excellent job of reworking how we understand the various political, economic and financial structures that occurred back then, and how that relates to our current situation.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 7th April 2019 at 02:48.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

JRS (5th April 2019)

26. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here an excellent four part discussion between Michael Hudson and ...
    For all the Michael Hudson fans out there (all two or three of us on this thread), I'll go further off the topic of this thread and recommend the following interview of Michael Hudson conducted on 7 May 2018 in Beijing, by Professor Lau Kin Chi and Professor Sit Tsui Jade.

Michael takes us on a quick tour of his life ... wow ... a man of diverse talents and a very high functioning mind.

To quote the Youtube blurb:
    Quote Professor Hudson talked about his formative years, and his turn to economics from music as he found his mentor Terence McCarthy's speech about economics beautiful and asethetic. He recalled his experiences in research and teaching, and the background leading to his writing the many books on imperialism, balance of payment, history of debt, and fictitious capital.

27. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here an excellent four part discussion between Michael Hudson and John Siman, a "Classicist" who is clearly well schooled in the history of ancient civilizations around the Mediterranean. The series is entitled The Delphic Oracle Was Their Davos: A Four-Part Interview With Michael Hudson About His Forthcoming Book The Collapse of Antiquity.
    The following paragraph, from Part 4 of this discussion with Michael Hudson, summarizes my main concern with our present debt-money system:
    That is what Aristophanes meant when his characters say that wealth is not like bananas or lentil soup. Wealth has no object but itself. Wealth is status — and also political control. The creditor’s wealth is the debtor’s liability. The key to its dynamic is not production and consumption, but assets and liabilities — the economy’s balance sheet. Wealth and status in the sense of who/whom. It seeks to increase without limit, and Socrates and Aristotle found the major example to be creditors charging interest for lending “barren” money. Interest had to be paid out of the debtor’s own product, income or finally, forfeiture of property; creditors did not provide means of making interest to pay off the loan.
    I emboldened the key problem - the compounding interest increases the debt until the debtor's collateral is forfeited.

The debtors include all manner of participants in Western economies - individuals, local and national governments, and businesses large and small.

The "money changers" as they were known long ago, aka the Banksters as they are disparagingly called now, pump up the debt ... it is their main product ... until a place and time of their choosing, when they tighten up credit lending policies, forcing a financial and economic collapse, which their foreknowledge enables them to side step, to make more money shorting the markets on the way down, and then to collect the collateral for the failed debts at the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2