+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital video forensic software or pay the piper?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,426 times in 5,645 posts

Default Digital video forensic software or pay the piper?

The choice ahead for authenticating video evidence is paying someone, finding a creative funding method or pay for pro software or use open source methods. To save costs it's logical to learn the software and do all the work to enhance the evidence. It seems that open source would be the cheapest route to take. The issue of concern is if doing all the analysis from the same person that captured the evidence is a conflict of interest?

Here's something about open source software that seems interesting.
    http://www.forensicprotection.com/Ed...o_Analyst.html

Quote If you have ever used the Firefox web browser or Thunderbird email, then you already know the value of open-source software. Most open-source software is written by experts for the greater good without any advertising, fee or bloated code. AvsPmod, AviSynth and VirtualDub are three such open-source programs reviewed, improved and supported by millions of active users. These innovative tools let the user easily create, configure, reorder and customize thousands of free plug-in filters, scripts and features to clean video files.
    Quote OPEN SOURCE CAPABILITIES:
    Directly open image-video files or use high-resolution screen capture with audio synch
    Isolate camera views (even sequenced). Remove any borders and redundant frames
    Stabilize cell phone & dash-cam video, isolate subtle motion, and track moving objects
    De-interlace or field shift videos. Stitch multiple cameras into a single panoramic view
    Brighten dark scenes, suppress video noise, zoom-in, crop and adjust playing speed
    Correct for focus, motion and blur. Adjust curves, levels, channels and color space
    Recalibrate viewing perspective to accurately measure an object’s size or speed
    Authenticate a file's structure, watermark, metadata, error level analysis and hash tag
    Analyze spectral, histogram and Fourier views. Work with “i” frames and vectors
    Enhance audio and add on-screen transcription. Watermark clarified-enhanced files
    View original and processed videos side-by-side, and save using common formats

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017), gaiagirl (20th April 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Digital video forensic software or pay the piper?

your looking at editing software?

What do you mean by "forensic".. your going to go in and look for editing?

If you just want to edit software, Adobe Primer Pro is $19 a month, with a 1 month free trial.... you can do a LOT of video editing in a month and it's the best software out there... plus you can let your subscription lapse, get another free month and do it all over again.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

fourty-two (19th April 2017), mojo (18th April 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Things like stabilize or tracking or enhancements that arent in the usual editing programs. Sony vegas isnt bad but there should be a way to pull out more information...
    also Im not sure if the work should be done by someone else... meaning if done by me does it carry the same weight as another since its personally captured?
    Last edited by mojo; 18th April 2017 at 21:47.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017), TargeT (18th April 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mojo (here)
    Things like stabilize or tracking or enhancements that arent in the usual editing programs. Sony vegas isnt bad but there should be a way to pull out more information...
    also Im not sure if the work should be done by someone else...
    Adobe Premier is the best editing software out there, it can do everything you want and there's a ton of videos on youtube showing you how to do so (its very very complex software, the videos are a must imo).

Example:
    Stabalize video

I'll assume a lot of the video you want to work with is dark and you need detail out of it.. Here ya go!:

Plus if that's not enogh, Adobe After Effects can take you further (free 30 day trial!!)

The Adobe suite (there's a lot of software in it, like Photoshop, Audio stuff etc..) is what movies and commercials are made with.. it's very very powerful. and it's only $50 a month if you get to THAT point (but that's like pro level stuff).
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017), Lifebringer (19th April 2017), mojo (18th April 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

here's a video to help explain the difference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    UK Avalon Member Post-Structuralist Comet's Avatar
    Thanks

also Im not sure if the work should be done by someone else... meaning if done by me does it carry the same weight as another since its personally captured?
    Hi mojo, I can't speak for anyone else but I don't think it would make much difference to my evaluation whether something like stabilisation of video footage was done by the person who took the video or by somebody else, so long as
    (i) I was allowed to see both the original footage and the edited footage, and
    (ii) It was made clear what editing had been done to the footage.

I take it at least one worry is that a skeptical person might think the footage was edited misleadingly, and getting a third party to do the editing might mitigate such skepticism. Unfortunately it's as simple to pay someone else to edit a piece of footage misleadingly as to do it oneself, or even as simple to edit it oneself and claim that a third party did so. As such, I think someone who's already skeptical won't be persuaded by somebody else having done the editing. So I would be very surprised if any minor added weight in this regard would be worth the extra cost.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Post-Structuralist Comet For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017), mojo (18th April 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

thank you for that well thought out reply...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

EFO (20th April 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

If you consider RegiStax 6 suitable for your purpose you can download it from here.It's free. First download V6.1 Release (2 april 2011) than Update V6.1.08.

Here is an example from Brian Paton:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EFO For This Post:

mojo (4th May 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

thanks EFO. My motivation is to authenticate what imo is footage of an ET...

This is another software program that sounds real good. It's not for sale to home users though.. fyi.. just contacted the sales department and home users can purchase if they can pay the 9K price tag.
    https://www.motiondsp.com/ikena-forensic/

The company is going to email a list of people that have the software so maybe someone on the list will be able to analyze it and discover more detail? this will probably be the least expensive method to pay someone since the software costs so much...
    Last edited by mojo; 4th May 2017 at 18:12.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

EFO (10th May 2017), TargeT (4th May 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

I just used premier to save me from wasting over an hour of footage due to poor lighting choices. Prior to using the enhancement tools in premier the shadows were so dark that my subject (a very dark skinned man) sort of disappeared as he stood near an unlit corner. it was such an extreme correction that it washed out a bit of the lighter parts of the video, but I could have stopped the effect for those portions of the video and then put it back on when it got dark again.

I thought that was the kind of stuff you were after? if your just trying to enhance video, I still think Premier is the best option for the price & available support (free on youtube).
    Where are you?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

mojo (4th May 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,108 times in 1,389 posts

Hi Mojo,

Your concern on ethical issues is right , if it is used as a proof, Ethics help discriminate evidence - proof ( some people can claim it is a semantics but in reality it is not) and determines subject's authenticity . You can edit your own video and published it, it will be accepted as an evidence(not a proof). For claiming it as a proof , you need to keep intact the original shot(unedited version) in your record for future analysis or critics to verify with different methods.
    Last edited by Tangri; 4th May 2017 at 23:43.
    Love and Hope

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangri For This Post:

mojo (5th May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread