+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Beet Juice the Secret to Staying Young?

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 times in 699 posts

Default Is Beet Juice the Secret to Staying Young?

Hello Everyone:
    A good way to start becoming healthier! Drink beet juice three times a week.
    The article goes into details and definitely couldn't hurt.
    Enjoy!
    chancy

Link:
    https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/beet-ju...230013608.html

Article:
    Is Beet Juice the Secret to Staying Young?
    Devon Kelley - Assistant Beauty Editor
    Yahoo Beauty April 19, 2017
    Beets are a common sweetening ingredient in the juices you’ll find at most health food stores, but a recent study found another reason to drink the bright red juice: It has anti-aging benefits.

Researchers at Wake Forest University knew that exercise has positive anti-aging effects on the brain, and were looking for ways to increase those benefits.

“What we showed in this brief training study of hypertensive older adults was that, as compared to exercise alone, adding a beet root juice supplement to exercise resulted in brain connectivity that closely resembles what you see in younger adults,” W. Jack Rejeski, co-author of the study, told EurekAlert.

The small study included 26 men and women aged 55 and older who did not exercise, had high blood pressure, and took no more than two medications for their high blood pressure. Three times a week, they drank Beet-It Sport Shot — a beet root juice supplement — one hour before a 50-minute walk on the treadmill.

Half of the participants received Beet-It containing 560 milligrams of nitrate, a substance found in beets that increases blood flow in the body and improves exercise performance, while the other half received placebo Beet-It with very little nitrate.

“Nitric oxide is a really powerful molecule,” Rejeski stated. “It goes to the areas of the body which are hypoxic, or needing oxygen, and the brain is a heavy feeder of oxygen in your body.”

Combining beet juice with exercise was found to deliver more oxygen to the brain, thus creating an environment for strengthening the area of the brain associated with motor activity. The group served beet juice had much higher levels of nitrate and nitrite than the placebo group after exercise.

This isn’t the first study to find that beets have a positive effect on health and exercise. They may also regulate blood pressure and improve exercise performance and endurance.

So if these bright red roots aren’t yet part of your diet, it may be time to plug your nose and drink up.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to chancy For This Post:

4evrneo (4th May 2017), 7alon (22nd April 2017), Ben (21st April 2017), Bill Ryan (21st April 2017), Bruno (24th April 2017), Chester (25th April 2017), Creedence (21st April 2017), DeDukshyn (22nd April 2017), Ecnal61 (21st April 2017), enigma3 (22nd April 2017), Ewan (21st April 2017), Flash (21st April 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jantje (25th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), kanishk (21st April 2017), kirolak (21st April 2017), lisalu (24th April 2017), Mike (21st April 2017), Nasu (21st April 2017), Ol' Roy (22nd April 2017), Shannon (23rd April 2017), Spellbound (22nd April 2017), toppy (21st April 2017), Yetti (23rd April 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,025 times in 2,396 posts

Default Re: Is Beet Juice the Secret to Staying Young?

I can confirm it definitely helps with blood pressure, or did in my case at least. I'm assuming what you refer to as beets are what the Brits call Beetroot. You can bake beetroot like radish or potato and I also enjoy pickled beetroot in a sandwich. Mayhaps that's why nature made it that vivid colour, its good for your blood.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bruno (24th April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), DeDukshyn (24th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jantje (25th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), Mike (23rd April 2017), Nasu (21st April 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,268 times in 2,725 posts

No its not. From my understanding our body is like a factory that produces all kinds of cells which needs all kinds of ingredients. Lacking one ingredient means there is no production. So called super foods might have some of the ingredients that are hard to find. Taking beetroot at first may have noticeable improvement however if you continue taking it at some point other ingredients will run out, no production. Anyway to cut a long story short, what works for me is rotating all kinds of super foods available for me.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bruno (24th April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), kirolak (21st April 2017), Nasu (21st April 2017), PathWalker (21st April 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

EW, is it what I know as remolacha? Disgusting stuff. . . .sorry! Rather old age & death than this. . . .

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Bubu (22nd April 2017), Foxie Loxie (21st April 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member ginnyk's Avatar
    Thanks

I buy cold pressed organic beet juice at my healthfood store. I put 1/4 cup in my morning fruit-protein smoothie. Doesn't taste bad at all. If the fruit doesn't make it sweet enough, I add a spoon of honey.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginnyk For This Post:

Bubu (22nd April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

In full support of the OP ...

Here's a couple additional articles on the powers of nitric oxide - Beets are high in nitrates which the body utilizes to make nitric oxide - a very powerful and important signalling molecule that the body uses in many, many processes.

https://drnibber.com/beet-based-supp...ng-for-longer/

https://drnibber.com/are-there-any-s...n-of-nitrates/

https://drnibber.com/nitric-oxides-r...dern-medicine/

https://drnibber.com/nitric-oxide-alzheimers-disease/
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 22nd April 2017 at 02:40.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

7alon (22nd April 2017), Bubu (22nd April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Ewan (22nd April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), Mike (23rd April 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I've used beet juice as a cleanser , detox. Works well and the body will tell you when enough is enough. My body actually rejected it after a few days of it.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Post:

Bubu (22nd April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Chester (25th April 2017), Ewan (23rd April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), Spellbound (22nd April 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,256 times in 1,040 posts

I went out and bought some beet juice yesterday at an organic grocery store. Damn that stuff is expensive!! $9 for half a litre. Tasty though. Gotta learn to consume it in small quantities or I will go broke.

Dave - Toronto

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

4evrneo (4th May 2017), Bubu (24th April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), Mike (23rd April 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

Beets are very cheap to buy. Just juice them with a juicer. They taste a bit weird to my taste, but mixed with other juices veges or fruits it is good.
    Last edited by Flash; 23rd April 2017 at 22:14.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bubu (24th April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Chester (25th April 2017), conk (24th April 2017), DeDukshyn (24th April 2017), GaelVictor (21st June 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jantje (25th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), Mike (23rd April 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,469 times in 5,705 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    I can confirm it definitely helps with blood pressure, or did in my case at least. I'm assuming what you refer to as beets are what the Brits call Beetroot. You can bake beetroot like radish or potato and I also enjoy pickled beetroot in a sandwich. Mayhaps that's why nature made it that vivid colour, its good for your blood.

Hi Ewan, ..few questions for you if you don't mind..

How many beets did you eat a day? Did you juice them? How often did you eat/drink them?

How quickly did you get meaningful results? What was your blood pressure before the beets and what was it after?

Sorry if im overwhelming you with questions here! It's just that ive heard of the beet/bp connection many times but never actually knew anyone that tried it. My bp has been high for some time now...So im looking for any sort of way to get it down a little.

Thank you sir

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

4evrneo (4th May 2017), Bubu (24th April 2017), Chester (25th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), RunningDeer (24th April 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 times in 332 posts

kIROLAK, I LOVE REMOLACHAAAAAA! already have my garden full !

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Chancy. There is a very popular smothie in Venezuela called "tres en uno" (3 in one) with orange juice beets and carrots. awesome.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yetti For This Post:

4evrneo (4th May 2017), Bubu (24th April 2017), chancy (24th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Ewan
    You mention baking beets (and radishes) like one would potatoes above. Never thought to bake them. have you (or anyone) baked beets? I have beets in my frig right now and curious what that would taste like... thx

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Bubu (24th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,302 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    My bp has been high for some time now...So im looking for any sort of way to get it down a little
    Apologies

FFT from “The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!” by: Dr. John McDougall; Mary McDougall.
    “This profound change in blood pressure is due to the overall impact of a healthy diet that is low in fat, animal protein, and calories, and high in potassium, dietary fiber, and carbohydrates. These healthy dietary components improve the health of the blood vessels and overall circulation, significantly lowering elevated blood pressure as a result.”

“Why would cutting back on salt harm your cardiovascular system and increase your risk of dying?

We are physiologically designed to seek out and eat salt. When we do not eat enough of it, the body changes in ways that include increasing its production of adrenal hormones, reducing salt losses from the kidneys and skin, and many other adjustments that help us to retain salt. Furthermore, salt restriction raises cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Over the long term, stresses caused by these physiological adaptations for survival may injure our blood vessels and lead to more heart attacks and strokes.”

The reason you may believe these two added ingredients represent the core of culinary evil has more to do with marketing than with science. Scapegoating salt and sugar deflects attention from the real problems: meat, dairy, fats, oils, and processed foods.

FOR THE LOVE OF SALT, SHOULD I DIE?

Sodium restriction is the most widely publicized, non-medicinal recommendation for preventing heart disease and stroke. This advice is based mostly on older research and largely reflects studies involving extreme changes in sodium intake, such as reducing sodium to less than 500 milligrams per day in order to lower blood pressure.

Has this recommendation made any difference in the average person’s health? Not according to recent research and careful analysis of the data. Why? First, almost no one has been able to follow this advice because a low-salt diet simply is not palatable. People would rather risk illness and death than make this kind of sacrifice. If handfuls of costly blood pressure— lowering pills will allow them to get their salt back and avoid a bland-tasting diet, swallow them they will. The second reason is that reducing salt consumption is of little medical benefit and may even be hazardous to your health.

The major medical concern about salt is that it raises blood pressure, and high blood pressure— more than 140/ 90 millimeters of mercury (mmHg)— is a risk factor for heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease. Randomized clinical trials, however, show that reducing high sodium intake by an average of 1,725 milligrams (a teaspoon and a half of salt) to 2,300 milligrams per day, the current USDA recommendation, lowers the systolic blood pressure (the top number in your blood pressure reading) by 1 to 5 points and the diastolic (bottom number) by 0.6 to 3 points. 3,4 On the McDougall Diet, with no limitation of the amount of salt added to foods at the table, the average reduction for people starting out with this level of blood pressure (140/ 90 mmHg or greater) is 15 points systolic and 13 points diastolic in just 7 days.

This is especially remarkable considering that in almost all cases, blood pressure medications are stopped on the first day of my 10-day live-in program. This profound change in blood pressure is due to the overall impact of a healthy diet that is low in fat, animal protein, and calories, and high in potassium, dietary fiber, and carbohydrates. These healthy dietary components improve the health of the blood vessels and overall circulation, significantly lowering elevated blood pressure as a result.

What I observe in my patients can also be seen in society as a whole. Hypertension is rare in indigenous communities with diets that are based on starches, even when the diet is quite high in sodium. 6 When these healthy indigenous people move to urban settings and adopt a Western diet rich in animal products and processed foods, they develop hypertension, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. The importance of the overall diet, rather than any single component (sodium), is the fundamental reason that vegetarians tend to have low blood pressure regardless of how much salt they consume.

REDUCING SALT MAY INCREASE YOUR RISK OF DEATH AND DISEASE

In 2007, the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III), studying nearly 100 million US adults, reported “a robust, significant, and consistent inverse association between dietary sodium and cardiovascular mortality.” In other words, people who ate more salt had less risk of dying from heart disease and strokes.

In a population study published in 2011 in the Journal of the American Medical Association involving 3,681 participants without cardiovascular disease, investigators found that the less sodium a person consumed, the higher his or her risk of death from strokes and heart attacks. The authors’ conclusion: “The associations between systolic pressure and sodium excretion did not translate into less morbidity or improved survival. On the contrary, low sodium excretion predicted higher cardiovascular mortality. Taken together, our current findings… do not support the current recommendations of a generalized and indiscriminate reduction of salt intake at the population level.”

The Cochrane Collaboration, an international, independent, not-for-profit health care research organization funded in part by the US Department of Health and Human Services, reported in 2011 in the American Journal of Hypertension its review of seven major studies. It concluded that there was no strong evidence of benefit from salt restriction, and that this restriction increased the risk of death in people with congestive heart failure.

Why would cutting back on salt harm your cardiovascular system and increase your risk of dying? We are physiologically designed to seek out and eat salt. When we do not eat enough of it, the body changes in ways that include increasing its production of adrenal hormones, reducing salt losses from the kidneys and skin, and many other adjustments that help us to retain salt. Furthermore, salt restriction raises cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Over the long term, stresses caused by these physiological adaptations for survival may injure our blood vessels and lead to more heart attacks and strokes.

Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th April 2017 at 02:04.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bubu (24th April 2017), Hym (24th April 2017), Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), lisalu (24th April 2017), Mike (24th April 2017), Yetti (26th April 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    My bp has been high for some time now...So im looking for any sort of way to get it down a little
    Apologies

The reason you may believe these two added ingredients represent the core of culinary evil has more to do with marketing than with science. Scapegoating salt and sugar deflects attention from the real problems: meat, dairy, fats, oils, and processed foods. [/I][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
    You brought out a very important point and there is no need for apology at least for me. I am a fruit lover and I knew all sorts of local fruit. I knew that many variety of them is grown with fertilizers like papaya pineapple watermelons etc. these varieties I could very rarely find an organic. But whenever I do I could very much tell the difference, the richness of the organic ones are simply impossible to miss but I did find a way to mimic the richness of the organic by adding salt and sugar (all natural) to a bland tasting chemically fertilize fruit.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), RunningDeer (24th April 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,698 times in 8,940 posts

I did bake beets and it is good - add some spices or herbs to it, because it may feel a bit bland depending on your taste budds, but it is sweet.

I also put them in soups, it makes it red, and it will exit red in your stool, do not worry it is beets, not blood.

Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    Ewan
    You mention baking beets (and radishes) like one would potatoes above. Never thought to bake them. have you (or anyone) baked beets? I have beets in my frig right now and curious what that would taste like... thx
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Jean-Marie (24th April 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,025 times in 2,396 posts

Hi Ewan, ..few questions for you if you don't mind..

How many beets did you eat a day? Did you juice them? How often did you eat/drink them?

How quickly did you get meaningful results? What was your blood pressure before the beets and what was it after?

Sorry if im overwhelming you with questions here! It's just that ive heard of the beet/bp connection many times but never actually knew anyone that tried it. My bp has been high for some time now...So im looking for any sort of way to get it down a little.

Thank you sir
    You will have to regard my input as anecdotal as I couldn't answer any of your questions with sufficient accuracy. I never recorded details, I just added them to my diet and it would have not just been beetroot, I would have increased my intake of all salad vegetables at around that time, subsequently reducing meat consumption. It was possible even unfair of me to attribute it solely to beetroot, its just what I chose to believe perhaps. Regardless, I would have probably been eating one small beet per day, more when taken as organic juice (mixed with apple) but then without the roughage. It got to the stage where I stopped my BP meds and further, in that my BP got so low I began to feel dizzy when standing up, around 120/60. BP had been as high as 190/110 or worse.

Ewan
    I've baked them yes. At least an hour at low temp, if you're eating meat and doing a slow roast then that is ideal, you can even give them two hours. Leave them in their skin, jacket beetroot.

edit: I would not give them two hours if they are small, tangerine size say.

------
    ------

Sodium/Salt.

Pulling this up from memory.. Each cell in your body is a mixture of sodium and potassium in the ratio of 20% 80%.

If you want to try reducing salt (sodium) intake because you're sure you consume too much try switching out your table salt to a potassium variety. You will likely get all the sodium you need from other sources as it is in pretty much everything we eat these days.
    Last edited by Ewan; 24th April 2017 at 10:10.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Jean-Marie (24th April 2017), lisalu (24th April 2017), Mike (24th April 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 times in 1,011 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    I did bake beets and it is good - add some spices or herbs to it, because it may feel a bit bland depending on your taste budds, but it is sweet.

I also put them in soups, it makes it red, and it will exit red in your stool, do not worry it is beets, not blood.

Ewan
    Thx. I did bake them this a.m. I had 3 small beets that I baked for almost an hour (my oven isn't the hottest). I don't find they come out as nice as a baked potato but it was ok

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Helene West For This Post:

Ewan (24th April 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

It is said that a powerful anti-cancer drink is beet juice, carrot juice, and apple juice. All together. Quite tasty as well. So, your ABC drink will aid in curing cancer, provide blood pressure remedy, enhance NO production - making vascular health better. Enhanced NO aids in erectile dysfunction too.

Bubu does make a valid point above, but it might take an inordinate amount of beet juice to do any harm. It's simply food and it's very difficult to OD on food. I think his/her point is that some nutrients need a counter balance. Like zinc and copper, or calcium and magnesium. Perhaps some nutrient in beets needs it's counter balancing friend?
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

36. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

Ewan (24th April 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

I love cooked beets! Simply boiled or in a cold soup or salad. I can not handle them juiced for some reason though? Maybe mixed in with apple and carrot it would be better as ConK recommended?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruno For This Post:

conk (25th April 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    It is said that a powerful anti-cancer drink is beet juice, carrot juice, and apple juice. All together. Quite tasty as well. So, your ABC drink will aid in curing cancer, provide blood pressure remedy, enhance NO production - making vascular health better. Enhanced NO aids in erectile dysfunction too.

Bubu does make a valid point above, but it might take an inordinate amount of beet juice to do any harm. It's simply food and it's very difficult to OD on food. I think his/her point is that some nutrients need a counter balance. Like zinc and copper, or calcium and magnesium. Perhaps some nutrient in beets needs it's counter balancing friend?
    What I am trying to say is that in order to stay young the body must be able to repair itself or replenish the dead cells. Older body takes time recovering from injury because the body does not produce new cells as quick when younger. To be able to repair the body quickly we need all kinds of nutrients and not all nutrient can be found in beetroot. The secret to staying young is to have all the nutrients in balance. And thats only on the food aspect we also have the emotional aspect to contend with.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

conk (25th April 2017)

+ Reply to Thread