+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cryptids and environmentalism, anyone?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member everydaypsyche's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Cryptids and environmentalism, anyone?

Hello, all! I am very glad to join you here at Project Avalon and look forward to contributing to the forums here. I am a graduate student working on my final paper before I finish my M.A. in Folklore. I wanted to ask you a few questions. Since I am writing a paper on this subject, could I use your responses in the paper? I won't use your name or image (or anyone else's), just your responses to the questions here. If that’s okay with you let me know in your response. Though many researchers consider online forums fair game, I want my intentions clear, and I don’t want to violate anyone’s privacy. I can even post the final paper to the forum and continue the discussion.

Hey! I commented below, but thought the clarification would best be served up here:

Cryptids are a broad category. As far as I'm concerned, anything from Sasquatch and brownies to fairies and dragons are fair game. I'm kind of at the beginnings of all this, so I'm open to hearing about whatever experiences people want to share. My primary work at the moment is the study of belief systems, so I'd rather be more open than constrictive. Tell me what you think! The more detailed the better. Your experiences discussing, researching, searching relevant to cryptids are both welcome and appreciated. (Complete sentences are preferable, but share whatever you want to share and however you feel most confident.)
    • In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
    • Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
    • Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?
    • In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?
    • Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?
    • How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?
    • Do you these films tend to anthropomorphize the creature? (manner, form, etc.)
    • Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid? What happened?
    • Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?
    • Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
    • Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
    • How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?
    • What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?
    Edit:

Per Bill Ryan's suggestions, I'm going to add a few here.
    • Do you believe some authorities are fully aware of the existence of some cryptids, but for some reason are keeping this classified?
    • If so, which cryptids do you think may already be known, recognized, and possibly already studied by some government or agency scientists?
    • If so, what might be the reasons for the secrecy?
    Last edited by everydaypsyche; 23rd April 2017 at 03:42. Reason: typo, more information

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

avid (23rd April 2017), Bill Ryan (23rd April 2017), BMJ (26th April 2017), Bruno (24th April 2017), DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), Eram (25th April 2017), Hervé (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th April 2017), mgray (23rd April 2017), Ol' Roy (25th April 2017), Post-Structuralist Comet (2nd May 2017), Shannon (23rd April 2017), skogvokter (23rd April 2017), Spirithorse (24th April 2017), sunwings (23rd April 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

Default Re: Cryptids and environmentalism, anyone?

- In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?

My best guess is that they generally exist in a different dimension, or in a higher frequency band than our physical senses can perceive.

- Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?

Yes. Maybe so that we don't kill them? We have a way of shooting first and asking questions later.

- Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?

See above. After all, look at what we are doing to our own people - by that I mean a minority are the masterminds behind the global genocide agenda but there is a general consensus on fear of the unknown and we have not been taught to be aware of other life forms - fear in an unawakened individual could lead to hasty and fatal actions as a means of self defense. If their presence were common knowledge I would imagine that they would also be targets for culling.

- In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?

I am guessing it depends. If somehow a person who wasn't ready to see a cryptid saw one and got scared, things could get ugly.

- Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?

At first, I couldn't think of any. I saw the movie Legend with Tom Cruise - that was pretty good. And then there are the Harry Potter movies, which my daughter and I both enjoyed, being fans of the books. The Lord of the Rings books were awesome I grew up with them - the movies were okay, a little overly dramatic for my liking.

- How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?

They don't seem to shine an unfavorable light on them, IMO, but I am not sure if it makes many people wonder if maybe they might be real. Perhaps showing them in a fictional way perpetuates the idea that they are mythical, fictional creatures.

- Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid? What happened?

It was not intentional, but once I saw a faerie in the woods. It looked exactly like the brownies in the movie Willow. It was a little man dressed in animals furs crouching on a large Boulder, looking at me. I was completely sober. It was like I was looking at a squirrel - it was a solid, very real, tiny man. I would have thought it was a hallucination, except my friend was with me, and saw him as well. I spent several days after that in shock - my sense of reality had just been shattered.

- Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?

Oh, see above.

- Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?

Perhaps they are the earth's indigenous species, and we are the aliens.

- Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?

I suppose so. I started an environmental education non profit in 2007 and was a founding member of a local community gardening network in 2008. I regularly compost and recycle. I do my best to live lightly.

- How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?

Perhaps because I am more of a wish to live harmoniously in my environment, I am more apt to believe that these creatures mean no harm? I am interested in healing the world, and in healing myself, and work on myself with diet and meditation, for example. My small part in my lifestyle choices reflects a desire to live lightly. I struggle with the westernized civilization because it is all borne of destruction. Consider building a new house - clearing the land, and the harvesting of resources for construction. The building of roads, etc. Let alone our diets and the resources required to supply foodstuffs to the masses - transportation, and chemical sprays and preservatives for shelf life and food preservation, pest abatement. I normally shy away from saying I am an "environmentalist" because I see how backwards the way we live is, and I feel like I am a far cry from truly living up to the goal of living in harmony with my environment. I also don't appreciate the judgy attitudes that oftentimes go along with the lifestyle. In my opinion the only person who has the right to a moral high ground in that department is one who has eschewed all unnatural man made goods and is living fully in the natural environment - of course I would not expect such a person to be a snob, so problem solved there.

- What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?

Ones that involve the ending of capitalism's endless growth, the preservation of the wilds, and the rewilding of humanity.
    Last edited by The Freedom Train; 3rd May 2017 at 05:08.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), fourty-two (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), Justplain (23rd April 2017), kirolak (23rd April 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th April 2017), skogvokter (23rd April 2017), Spellbound (23rd April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,259 times in 1,414 posts

Hi Everydaypsyche, i have only researched a bit on Sasquatch, so when i answer below, keep that in mind:

In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
    - reportedly Sasquatch have advanced psychic abilities, including cloaking and possibly teleportation, and likely telepathy

Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
    - yes, for self preservation

Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?
    - very definitely, trophy hunters and corrupt government agencies hunt Sasquatch

In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?
    - all of these, depending on the circumstances

Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?
    - most definitely, especially peaceful investigation

How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?
    - good research documentaries help the public better understand

Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid? What happened?
    - not really, not ever had an encounter

Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?
    - no

Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
    - i believe Sasquatch were developed, from what i've read, from a species of lemur

Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
    - not really, but am sympathetic

How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?
    - there should be enough clean habitat for all nature's creatures to thrive

What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?
    - leave enough habitat for them and protect them from hunting, etc.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), Spellbound (23rd April 2017), The Freedom Train (23rd April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Thanks for your response! I think that the films & the media choose two versions of cryptids. There's the "scary" movie, like The Hollow (2015) that seem to be some kind of warning that cryptids are a naturally destructive force. Possibly that is a projection of our own feelings about our own monstrous destruction that you point out. There's this other side though--mostly in kid's films like the remake of Pete's Dragon, The Water Horse, Fern Gully, or E.T.--where kids have a privileged relationship with the creatures, protecting them from adult threats. It could be an exercise in building little environmentalists, as many children's books and films build implicit and explicit expectations for the world--acculturation.
    Last edited by everydaypsyche; 23rd April 2017 at 03:11.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), Spellbound (23rd April 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

I'll take part as well, I'll try to make it interesting ...

Quote In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
    Depends on the cryptid ... most are just rare and generally avoid humans. Some may have physical abilities of strength and speed which helps the get away quickly upon sighting. Some have natural or possibly self created camouflage and some perhaps can psychically alter their appearance in the mind of the beholder ("psychic camouflage")

Quote Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
    Mostly yes. Like many animals (lynx, wolverines), interactions with humans is something to be avoided. Humans are far too fearful which makes us incredibly unpredictable from individual to individual.

Quote Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?
    Yes, mostly due to our fear -- human fear is often "resolved" with harm or killing. Also, to a lesser extent, trophy hunters. Military / government / (even private) research, DNA extraction, experimentation, etc.

Quote In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?
    I never interacted with one, but if the cryptid cannot "read" a peaceful response in a human, anything may happen, but if it can read "peace" in the human, then an interaction of consequence may occur.

Quote Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?
    Yes indeed, because anything is possible in this arena. I recall liking a rather low budget movie called "mimic".

Quote How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?
    Maybe gets a few people thinking about it a bit more - so maybe slightly positive.

Quote Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid?What happened?
    No. Nothing.

Quote Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?
    Can't think of one ...

Quote Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
    One of two --- Naturally developed, or, remnants of ancient "human" intervention - pre-history. Possibly some somewhat "trans-dimesional" ...

Quote Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
    Slightly, yes.

Quote How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?
    Habitat for Earth creatures is shrinking everywhere. No matter the creature.

Quote What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?
    Most of them. Preserving very large areas for natural habitat without human impact are key.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 23rd April 2017 at 03:04.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), kirolak (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,565 times in 32,726 posts

Good thread, and welcome to the forum!

A comment, and a suggestion for three further questions:
    • What's a cryptid — in the context you intend? Is it an unknown animal (like the Gorilla and Panda were before being officially recognized, and maybe now the Sasquatch/Yeti, lake and sea monsters, and giant snakes?)... or are we also talking about faeries, dogmen, mothmen, and chupacabras?
    Three more important and interesting questions, I'd suggest:
    • Do you believe some authorities are fully aware of the existence of some cryptids, but for some reason are keeping this classified?
    • If so, which cryptids do you think may already be known, recognized, and possibly already studied by some government or agency scientists?

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (2nd May 2017), boja (23rd April 2017), DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Hervé (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), skogvokter (23rd April 2017), Spellbound (23rd April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm kind of at the beginnings of all this, so I'm open to hearing about whatever experiences people want to share. As you point out, it's a very broad category. I didn't want anyone to feel like I was limiting or delegitimizing an experience because of a limited definition if that makes sense. My primary work at the moment is the study of belief systems, so I'd rather be more open than constrictive.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd April 2017), DeDukshyn (23rd April 2017), Ivanhoe (23rd April 2017), kirolak (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Quote Posted by everydaypsyche (here)
    Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm kind of at the beginnings of all this, so I'm open to hearing about whatever experiences people want to share. As you point out, it's a very broad category. I didn't want anyone to feel like I was limiting or delegitimizing an experience because of a limited definition if that makes sense. My primary work at the moment is the study of belief systems, so I'd rather be more open than constrictive.
    Just come out with it, then, all across the table.

I assumed by the lack of detail that Bill indicated as important that you were either gathering info for fiction or, as you suggested, just looking into people's responses as info gathering. Tell us the broader story behind what you are doing. Sounds quite interesting!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), kirolak (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member mgray's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,508 times in 1,196 posts

A Masters in Folklore, not there's a marketable degree. I hope you are not burdened by student loans?

[QUOTE=DeDukshyn;1147997] 
    I'll use this as a template for my answers

Quote In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
    Could be dimensional or avoidance through exceptional sensors.

Quote Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
    Yes. For safety. I am sure that while some Native Americans call the Big Foot a people, there were killings on both sides. Today there would be a high price on a body.

Quote Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?
    Yes, see above.

Quote In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?
    Cannot be sure of that having no direct knowledge of an interaction by anyone I know.

Quote Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?
    N/A

Quote How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?
    N/A

Quote Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid?What happened?
    No.

Quote Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?
    No

Quote Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
    Not sure

Quote Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
    Somewhat

Quote How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?
    Perseveration of lands would probably be the only environmentalism thought I have that would impact critics

Quote What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?
    See above

Good luck with you research and welcome
    When in doubt, do the next right thing.
    My blog: http://grayseconomy.com

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgray For This Post:

kirolak (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

[*]Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?[/LIST]
    I do enjoy a good cryptid flick. There's a ton of Bigfoot movies out there dating back decades and I've seen most of them. The only Squatch flick that I've ever seen where Bigfoot is not referred to in a negative / monster type of manner is a You Tube movie about Bigfoot from 3 years ago called Howls.

As for flicks on other cryptids...Mothman Prophesies with Richard Gere was pretty good.

Dave - Toronto

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,410 times in 621 posts

I would suggest as a good starting point for serious study of this subject,

Firstly, check out the work of DR MELBA KETCHUM at http://sasquatchgenomeproject.org/

Secondly check out the work of DAVID PAULIDES at http://www.canammissing.com/missing_411.html

In my humble opinion, these are 2 serious researchers currently working on this subject.

Clearly THERE IS A PHENOMENON HERE WHICH REQUIRES SCIENTIFIC STUDY.

Yes, the US government is fully aware of it, and is trying to hide it.
    Just as with UFOs and ETs.

Here in England we have a man called Dr David Clarke who did a PhD in "Folklore".
    Unfortunately, the BBC use him as their official DEBUNKER for anything & everything paranormal.
    Perhaps they pay well !

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to boja For This Post:

Bruno (26th April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by boja (here)

Yes, the US government is fully aware of it, and is trying to hide it.
    Just as with UFOs and ETs.
    For sure. In this extraordinary account, of the 1999 Nevada Battle Mountain forest fire, an adult Bigfoot was badly burned and emerged from the forest in front of all the firefighters. A vet and a medic were both summoned. The vet attended to it first, but withdrew, feeling the creature was human, and not an animal. It was treated by the medic. The creature was then transported to another location, and everyone involved was sworn to secrecy.

I'm convinced this story is fully accurate. The significance there (apart from the cover-up by the Bureau of Land Management) is that it's a human, not an animal. That of course exactly corresponds with the recent DNA analysis by Dr Melba Ketchum.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

7alon (24th April 2017), Alekahn2 (24th April 2017), Atlas (2nd May 2017), boja (23rd April 2017), Bruno (26th April 2017), Jantje (26th April 2017), Nasu (25th April 2017), Professor (28th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), Spellbound (23rd April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017), william r sanford72 (23rd April 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out. I don't come from a scientific research background. My bent is more inclined towards humanistic study and belief systems, so my primary research is actually responses to the questionnaire above. Everyone has opinions and experiences, and I find those much more interesting than empirical research

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

Bruno (26th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,580 times in 2,838 posts

Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?

Yes.2 moments stand out the first and most recent was about 7 months ago.my son awakend me around 2am to tell me some thing like a huge rabbit was scratching on the window in his bedroom and he was somewhat alarmed.I went to the window and only caught a glimpse of the back end of what did appear to be a abnormal sized rabbit..as the tail was the size of a softball.not sure what it was.Strange detail is the dogs....they didn't bark chase or become alarmed..went outside to look around and never found a trace.yah I know how it sounds...giant rabbits.

The second one was an owl that was also abnormal in size as in around 5 foot tall.now the owl didn't scare me tho it did scare my wife as I had ample time to study the creature and even went into the house woke my spouse brought her outside to see it.Strange thing is at first she seen a gargoyle like creature with very red eyes....and become very frightend so much so that she froze...because this wasn't a creature that was far off in the woods or even a brief encounter..it sat on a large dead oak branch about 10 foot off the ground tho it was dark.I was able to study it for about 10 min when I decided to get thee wife so she could see it because I wasn't sure what I was looking at and just having another person see it.. and about another 10 min with my wife when I decided to approach it to make sure we were seeing what we were realy seeing...for some reason I decided against better judgment to get as close as poss.at about 10 feet I raised my hands to show I meant no harm when it lifted from the branch and took off. I recall hearing a gasp from my spouse as the wing span was something to behold.The owl just seemed to damn big to fly...

Sorry for the writing spelling puncts..I talk somewhat better than write.

I have no set beliefs as far who what etc..i have no conclusions...I can only offer what I observed.There have been other strange events with orbs and what looked like glowing insects that reminded me of a cross between a dragon fly and lighting bug that were very close to the ground.The insides were transparent and were around 6 to 7 inches long.I could make out what appeared to bee a spirial like ribbon that reminded me of a dna strand in the abdomen of said insect/creature

Ok now I'm done and will say sorry yet again for the cringe worthy writing skills
    and hope this helps with your paper and research.

William.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Alekahn2 (24th April 2017), Bruno (26th April 2017), DeDukshyn (24th April 2017), everydaypsyche (23rd April 2017), Ewan (27th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (26th April 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

• In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
      Some of them are rare, and some of them are cunning. (And, there are vast tracts of wilderness still where humans rarely go.)
    • Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
      All wild animals, justifiably afraid of or not trusting humans, conceal themselves intentionally!
    • Do human beings pose a threat to cryptids? In what ways?
      Humans post a threat to every living thing on earth.
    • In general, are human–cryptid interactions peaceful, dangerous, a mixture of the two?
      Peaceful. (I don't count David Paulides' reports, which may be of another phenomenon entirely.)
    • Do you enjoy films (or other media) about cryptids? What kinds?
      Yes. But documentaries only.
    • How does this kind of popular media influence people's perceptions of cryptids?
      If you mean fictionalized films, they're likely to distort opinion.
    • Do you [think] these films tend to anthropomorphize the creature? (manner, form, etc.)
      No idea... I've not watched any. (As a researcher and serious student, I feel there's no reason for me to.)
    • Have you ever personally sought out a cryptid? What happened?
      Yes... see this thread. (These creatures are pretty much in my back yard, so to speak.) No contact yet. My next expedition is pretty soon... just waiting for a weather window.
    • Have you ever spontaneously seen a cryptid? In what context?
      No. (But I did see what looked like Yeti tracks in the Himalayas in Dec 1981.)
    • Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
      Well, what's a 'cryptid'? (Serious question... it's important to define what you mean!)
      If it's a flesh-and-blood animal, they developed naturally.
    • Do you consider yourself an environmentalist?
      Another term that needs defining!
      Am I campaigner? No (apart from maintaining this forum).
      Am I passionate about environmental issues? Yes, absolutely.
    • How does your stance on environmentalism impact your views on cryptids?
      They should be left alone... I rue the day when we see a Sasquatch in a cage. (I'm no fan of zoos, even the best ones, though I recognize that endangered species do have to be protected in an organized way.)
    • What kinds of environmentalist agendas can benefit cryptids in the wild?
      I have no idea.
    I'll also take the liberty of answering my own added questions (see my post #6 above)
      In the case of Bigfoot/Sasquatch, absolutely. See this extraordinary account, of the 1999 Nevada Battle Mountain forest fire, where an adult Bigfoot was badly burned and emerged from the forest in front of all the firefighters. A vet and a medic were both summoned. The vet attended to it first, but withdrew, feeling the creature was human, and not an animal. It was treated by the medic. The creature was then transported to another location, and everyone involved was sworn to secrecy.
      Bigfoot/Sasquatch — I am personally certain.
      Exactly as per UFO/ET secrecy... the public would not feel confident if it were admitted that there were very large (and possibly potentially frightening) animals in the North American forests which the authorities could do absolutely nothing about whatsoever.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th April 2017 at 19:48.

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (2nd May 2017), Bob (25th April 2017), DeDukshyn (26th April 2017), Jantje (26th April 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th April 2017), norman (25th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), Spellbound (25th April 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017), william r sanford72 (26th April 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the time you took to respond! I really appreciate it, Bill. I do have a follow-up for you if you have the time. Throughout this thread, there is a big mixture of experiential data (stories people tell about their own or others' experiences) and empirical data (DNA and other forensic data like footprints). I consider photographs to be somewhere in between the two because the falsifiability** of photographs is often inconclusive with today's photo-editing software (or even without it if you remember the Cottingley Fairy Episode!).

From interviews that I have done, I see a range of people who find one more convincing than another.

Do you personally favor empirical or experiential data?

**The ability to prove something either true or false.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), TargeT (26th April 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Both. In a court of law, forensic evidence can be used to convict a murderer, but so can eye-witness testimony. (Legally, that's proof, too.)

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th April 2017), everydaypsyche (26th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), TargeT (26th April 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,397 times in 4,297 posts

Interesting study, and the best of luck with it! As you are primarily concerned with belief systems, I'll add my own, to the key questions, for variety's sake, as they may (and usually do) differ from others.

-- Do you believe cryptids are a species that developed naturally or are they the result of otherworldly intervention?
    I would say the vast majority of what would be called a cryptid, or an as yet unidentified species, are purely natural. Even the fairy could be categorized as such, but I would view those as 'elementals', or nature energies, and not a 'species' exactly. But Bigfoot, the Sasquatch, that is something pretty unique in my opinion. I do not believe they are naturally selected species indigenous to this planet. There are many eye-witness accounts of anomalous lights in the sky, bona fide UFO activity, seen in the presence or vicinity of Bigfoot sightings. I do think there is an ET connection - at least with some types of the Bigfoot or 'wildman' phenomenon, particularly those in North American.

I am inclined to believe - this is not though, I'm sorry to say, based on anything substantial, it's just a theory - that Bigfoot is a kind of refugee, brought here from another (dead or dying) planet, by advanced extra-terrestrials in order to preserve their kind. Perhaps they are the result of alien seeding on that world, and are a developing species just as Humans are (in my opinion). Earth was either similar enough to their homeworld that they could easily integrate here, or they were adapted to suit our planetary conditions. But I do quite believe they are not originally of this earth.

-- Do they conceal themselves intentionally? For what reason?
    The Sasquatch lives in harmony with its environment. Humans do not. Humans are destructive, hostile, and ignorant. It is no wonder that they would want to hide from us at all costs. They are in tune with their surroundings and all living things. They are highly sensitive, emotionally and spiritually. Just for self-preservation, I think they are hard-wired to avoid human contact.

-- In your opinion, how do cryptids keep themselves concealed?
    I have two answers to that.

One, they are telepathic beings. They can sense human presence long before humans are aware of them. This gives them plenty of time to hide. Where they hide is probably underground, in natural tunnels and cave systems. They also limit their movements above ground during daylight hours, travelling and hunting mostly by night when there is less chance of human discovery. Bigfoot is also scarce in population, living in small communities, maybe as individual families. (All these factors could explain why encounters are relatively rare).

Two, there are a number of testimonies where a Sasquatch has vanished in more mysterious ways. I suspect that, given their extra-terrestrial origins and their high level awareness and sensitivity, they have the ability to shift or alter their vibration, and phase out of our perceivable dimension and into another. An extreme ability such as this would make it effectively impossible to track, confine, or capture a Sasquatch that did not wish to be tracked, confined, or captured.

-- Do you believe some authorities are fully aware of the existence of some cryptids, but for some reason are keeping this classified?
    Yes, completely.

-- If so, what might be the reasons for the secrecy?
    If Sasquatch is not native to this planet, then as technically 'an alien' it is reason number one why the government would want it kept secret. But even if it weren't, it still has a definite connection with the UFO phenomenon. Anything thus associated is subject to secrecy.

And even if it wasn't alien, and had no connection at all to UFOs, there is still a very good reason to keep it secret. If sasquatch were captured and studied, it could shed light on actual Human origins and Human evolution that are incompatible with the comfortable, 'official' Darwinian version of the story. It would turn anthropology, and well as religion on its head, and open up a right can of worms. And that is something they do not want!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th April 2017), Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020), everydaypsyche (26th April 2017), Spellbound (23rd June 2018), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

A budding Chaos mage... enjoy your ride, belief systems are everywhere and a very powerful tool when understood.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

Both. In a court of law, forensic evidence can be used to convict a murderer, but so can eye-witness testimony. (Legally, that's proof, too.)
    I HEAVILY favor one over the other, memories and recollection never seem very reliable, and we don't even need to get into memory revision etc...
    Last edited by TargeT; 26th April 2017 at 13:57.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020), everydaypsyche (26th April 2017), Shannon (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Sorry for the late reply! I study belief systems. I'm personally interested in cryptids, so this is the area I chose for my final research project. I noticed that a lot of contemporary films have been using cryptids as a vehicle for discussing environmental issues like deforestation (Ferngully or the remake of Pete's Dragon), testing on the environment or animal testing (E.T. or The Water Horse), or environmental guardians (Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, or even allegorically in The Lorax). I wanted to see how/if this environmental connection is involved in people's experience, insight, and interpretation of cryptids outside of the cinematic context.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to everydaypsyche For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd May 2017), Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020), TargeT (3rd May 2017), The Freedom Train (3rd May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast