+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cryptids and environmentalism, anyone?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,656 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Cryptids and environmentalism, anyone?

Quote Posted by everydaypsyche (here)
    I wanted to see how/if this environmental connection is involved in people's experience, insight, and interpretation of cryptids outside of the cinematic context.
    I think it was a simple case of contextual obfuscation; the cryptids add just enough "mystery" and intrigue to allow the plot to be (sometimes obviously) environmentalist propaganda.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

DeDukshyn (3rd May 2017), Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Quote Posted by everydaypsyche (here)
    I wanted to see how/if this environmental connection is involved in people's experience, insight, and interpretation of cryptids outside of the cinematic context.
    I think it was a simple case of contextual obfuscation; the cryptids add just enough "mystery" and intrigue to allow the plot to be (sometimes obviously) environmentalist propaganda.
    What is that line between genuine environmental concern and awareness raising, and propaganda?
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020), TargeT (3rd May 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    What is that line between genuine environmental concern and awareness raising, and propaganda?
    I'd say it's mostly in the portrayal of the antagonists.

If the antagonists were not shown as polarized (usually comically evil) and simply criticized for their actions and encouraged to mitigate them... like the ending of ferngully was the clear cutting team altering their lumber harvesting to a more sustainable approach or something similar.

Basically, be "real", "truthful" and helpful in the message.

As it is, most "environmental messages" can easily be considered another divide and conquer tactic.. more polarization, more separation... the same MO is used on so many fronts.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I'd say it's mostly in the portrayal of the antagonists.

If the antagonists were not shown as polarized (usually comically evil) and simply criticized for their actions and encouraged to mitigate them... like the ending of ferngully was the clear cutting team altering their lumber harvesting to a more sustainable approach or something similar.

Basically, be "real", "truthful" and helpful in the message.

As it is, most "environmental messages" can easily be considered another divide and conquer tactic.. more polarization, more separation... the same MO is used on so many fronts.
    It's just a "right / left" political entity that which you refer, so yes I see that. However, bringing awareness to the issues has to occur first before any talk on "how" can occur, but again I do see the usage of emotional alignment for marketing purposes for the movie itself - but not as much to the extent of "propoganda".

Anyone in their right mind is not going to say that our environment is doing perfectly well and we'll be ok in this area in 100 years (if nothing changes). We live relatively short lives in comparison to the slow detriment to our environment of the last few hundred years (I am talking unsustainable deforestation, improper use of agra land and related chemical poisonings of our land and waters, major industrial pollutions, etc. "Climate change" is a non-issue compared to these things), so we aren't actively seeing the long term effects at all. I am not sure I would label anything that seeks to bring awareness and compassion to sustaining our home as "propoganda", but I might label it, in a similar vein, as "marketing".
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 3rd May 2017 at 23:23.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (28th March 2020), TargeT (3rd May 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

we aren't actively seeing the long term effects at all..
    This is perhaps what I get hung up on, I see vilification of industry and the only solutions are very extreme... I think the polarization takes it beyond "awareness raising" and puts it firmly in "divide and conquer" only because you generaly get 3 outcomes from that type of marketing (very good word to describe it).

Rejection
    indifference
    acceptance

Rejection causes division with those that accept, indifferent causes division with both camps "how can you not care"... it's just too much emotional manipulation for rationality to win through. Then people get more set in their mind sets and further divided (as they run off to their echo chambers for cherry picked data that supports what ever side they support)

I draw a very hard line against manipulation (especially emotional manipulation) so I probably am being a bit extreme in my view here.
    Where are you?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2