+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ROUNDUP .. Contaminants In Processed Brand Name Foods

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default ROUNDUP .. Contaminants In Processed Brand Name Foods

> COULD SOMEONE HELP WITH THE 2 CHARTS THAT SHOW WHAT FOODS HAVE GLYPHOSATE AND THERE AMOUNTS .......... IGNORANT ON HOW TO DO THAT.

http://www.activistpost.com/2017/02/...ame-foods.html

Glyphosate Contaminants In Processed Brand Name Foods
    TOPICS:AgricultureCatherine FrompovichGlyphosateGMO
    >
    > February 25, 2017
    >
    > By Catherine J. Frompovich
    >
    > Glyphosate is the main chemical active in several brands of agricultural and
    corporate farming herbicides used in the growing fields; in GMO seed crop
    cultures; and in what’s called “preharvest staging” [1]. That’s when the
    herbicide is sprayed several days [3 to 5 days] prior to crop harvest to
    “ensure” seed heads mature evenly. Some consider that process acts as a
    “desiccant.”
    >
    > The more commonly-used herbicide is Roundup® manufactured by Monsanto. In GMO
    farming, there is Roundup Ready® seeds, which are totally different from
    heirloom or non-GMO seeds. One specific difference is GMO seeds have patents on
    them, meaning something has been done to modify the seed from the parent or
    original plant strain produced by Nature.
    >
    > Recently on an Internet talk show, I heard a professor talking about the
    non-browning apple, i.e., the apple’s protein is turned off to make the
    GMO-non-browning apple not brown when cut and exposed to air, as a normal apple
    does.
    >
    > Well, the question I, as a natural nutritionist, have is: If the protein (0.3
    gram or 1% of Daily Value) [3] in the GMO non-browning apple is turned off, does
    that mean the apple protein is not functional within that GMO apple as a
    nutrient for human nutrition? Has a scientific nutritional analysis proven that
    factually one way or the other? Or does science indicate that protein is viable
    as human nutrition? Because, if not, that would make a real nutritional
    difference in the GMO non-browning apple!
    >
    > Furthermore, what’s called the “equivalence factor” of GMO phoods really is
    this, in my opinion: GMO plants have ‘things’ either inserted or turned off or
    modified (allowing patents to be issued making food seeds/plants corporate
    property subject to legal redress) from original parent plants, therefore, GMOs
    are NOT equivalent to the original plant food, regardless of what GMO science
    claims!
    >
    > The fact food crop seeds or plants have “patents” should be the prime
    exclusionary criterion difference, in my opinion, since historical and heirloom
    foods/seeds/plants did not, and do not, have patents! That’s why the U.S. FDA
    is out to lunch on GMO phood science, I say, and all GMO phoods legally must be
    labeled correctly to comply with truth in advertising laws in the USA.
    >
    > Then there’s the inconvenient ‘byproduct’ of corporate farming; it’s
    glyphosate residues in processed foods, which has been confirmed scientifically
    by Food Democracy Now, The Detox Project and their 29-page report “Glyphosate:
    UNSAFE ON ANY PLATE”[2].
    >
    > Below are two charts showing the glyphosate food testing results in parts per
    billion (ppb) FDN had performed, and the results are nothing short of stunning!
    Cheerios, which moms routinely give to toddlers as “finger food,” contain
    1,125.3 ppb!
    >
    > Going down the list we see what I call ‘corporate food sin’ in brand names
    like General Mills, Kellogg’s, Nabisco, PepsiCo, Campbell Soup Company, Little
    Debbie, Lucy’s, Whole Foods, and Back to Nature! The really sad news, in my
    opinion, is brand names originally associated with previously ‘healthy type
    food’ before corporate buy outs apparently have chemically contaminated brands
    like Annie’s and Kashi because ‘corporate-brands parents’ don’t keep tight
    control over chemical-free food processing and production, in my opinion.
    >
    > Are consumers happy about eating glyphosate? We know glyphosate is in
    vaccines given to children. See my article about that unbelievable aspect of
    vaccines.
    >
    > If you are the parent of a child on the Autistic Spectrum or if anyone in your
    family has any type of gastrointestinal disorder, I heartily recommend you talk
    with you healthcare practitioner about the benefits of changing to an
    all-organically-grown diet. Glyphosate is not sprayed on organically-grown
    crops, as of now. However, who knows how long that will last at the rate
    corporate control freaks are challenging our rights to clean and healthful food,
    water and air—the basic necessities of life.
    >
    > References:
    >
    > [1] http://roundup.ca/_uploads/documents...ng%20Guide.pdf
    > [2] https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.foodd...DN_Glyphosate_
    FoodTesting_Report_p2016.pdf
    > [3] http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1809/2
    >
    > Catherine J Frompovich (website) is a retired natural nutritionist who earned
    advanced degrees in Nutrition and Holistic Health Sciences, Certification in
    Orthomolecular Theory and Practice plus Paralegal Studies. Her work has been
    published in national and airline magazines since the early 1980s. Catherine
    authored numerous books on health issues along with co-authoring papers and
    monographs with physicians, nurses, and holistic healthcare professionals. She
    has been a consumer healthcare researcher 35 years and counting.
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_nu2IRTjV0 26 MIN
    >
    >
    Last edited by ramus; 27th April 2017 at 18:38.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Alekahn2 (27th April 2017), Blacklight43 (27th April 2017), BMJ (28th April 2017), EFO (28th April 2017), gaiagirl (29th April 2017), Hervé (28th April 2017), Jean-Marie (27th April 2017), Noelle (29th April 2017), norman (27th April 2017), Pam (28th April 2017), pueblo (12th July 2018), sheme (27th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017), william r sanford72 (28th April 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 times in 571 posts

Default Re: ROUNDUP .. Contaminants In Processed Brand Name Foods

There will still be the utterly stupid folks out there that pickup the Roundup at the local hardware store to kill off their weeds or critters without conscience. Even a family of patients of ours did that, knowing full well the outcome, killing off their chickens and getting horrifically ill all four family members that developed a resistance to any medical treatment. ( Same family running to Urgent care). You think you educate infinitum and you think people hear you, but then you get surprised.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

BMJ (28th April 2017), Bruno (28th April 2017), conk (28th April 2017), EFO (28th April 2017), Hervé (28th April 2017), Noelle (29th April 2017), Pam (28th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017), wnlight (12th July 2018)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Bettye198 : You are only responsible for putting it out there as true and honestly as you can, but your not responsible for how they

take it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

bettye198 (29th April 2017), BMJ (28th April 2017), EFO (28th April 2017), Pam (28th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    > COULD SOMEONE HELP WITH THE 2 CHARTS THAT SHOW WHAT FOODS HAVE GLYPHOSATE AND THERE AMOUNTS .......... IGNORANT ON HOW TO DO THAT.

http://www.activistpost.com/2017/02/...ame-foods.html
    First

Second

For Windowspen image in new tab,copy link address,paste it after you open "insert Image" icon when reply.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

BMJ (28th April 2017), Bruno (28th April 2017), Ewan (28th April 2017), gaiagirl (29th April 2017), Hervé (28th April 2017), Noelle (29th April 2017), Pam (28th April 2017), ramus (27th October 2018), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017), william r sanford72 (28th April 2017), wnlight (12th July 2018)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Domp4547's Avatar
    Thanks

For the first time i actually saw a commercial on tv regarding medical issues due to round up exposure. It was a law firm that is going after monsanto....i could not believe it! At least its a step in the right direction, the more people that are aware the better we ALL are.
    If it vibrates.....it's an illusion

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Domp4547 For This Post:

conk (28th April 2017), Ewan (28th April 2017), gaiagirl (29th April 2017), Hervé (28th April 2017), Noelle (29th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017), william r sanford72 (28th April 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

I believe if the truth is known, there isn't anything living that doesn't have some level of glyphosate in their tissues. I look at my neighbors spraying away for their picture perfect lawns and know they disapprove of my dandelions and such....what messed up priorities we have!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ewan (28th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 times in 572 posts

I was shocked when I was helping my stepmother's family move, and I meant to leave behind a large applicator jug of Roundup in the garage. Oh no we're taking that they said - I assumed it had been left by the previous owners of their house, and was amazed that they had in fact bought it to use on their driveway. They also have chickens and were planning on making a decent sized vegetable garden. Where they are moving to, they also plan on having horses and goats. I pleaded with my half sister, saying, please don't use this stuff it is so bad for the water and the environment, and what about your garden and your chickens? It could make you really sick! Sadly I am not sure how seriously she took me. What's funny is they both know about clean eating and organic foods and all that. My sister is interested in bee keeping even. Very strange.

Yes I believe this thread dovetails with another recent one highlighting the staple crops of beans and grains that are routinely sprayed with roundup three days prior to harvest. Sugar cane, soy, wheat, so many of the main suspects for people with autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Go figure.....

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Domp4547 (here)
    For the first time i actually saw a commercial on tv regarding medical issues due to round up exposure. It was a law firm that is going after monsanto....i could not believe it! At least its a step in the right direction, the more people that are aware the better we ALL are.
    If this doesn't end in a quiet settlement decades before any actual trial is reached I would be most pleasantly surprised!!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Freedom Train For This Post:

conk (28th April 2017), Ewan (28th April 2017), gaiagirl (29th April 2017), Hervé (28th April 2017), Pam (28th April 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Efo .... thank you for the help , it makes it more real with the charts, visuals do seem more impactful .

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

EFO (29th April 2017), The Freedom Train (28th April 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

ON 11th April 2017 11:34 RAMUS POSTED : Which of Your Foods are Sprayed with Round Up Just 3 Days Before Harvest? MAYBE MERGE THESE TWO POST TOGETHER. THANK YOU : THE FREEDOM TRAIN FOR THE MERGE IDEA .
    Last edited by ramus; 29th April 2017 at 15:25.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ramus For This Post:

The Freedom Train (1st May 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

Just as a side note. Most of my family friends of my parents generation, all orginally from southern europe, are in their 70's one couple are in there early 90's and still well and active.

Their key to success is not a nip of whisky in there coffee every night but the fact that they:
    - almost always prepare meals from scratch and "always" seek out quality produce,
    - socialize which includes good food, good company a little wine and a few rounds of cards,
    - go for walks probably up to 4 kilometres a time several times a week, and
    - read alot including novels, magazines and completing cross word puzzles.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

EFO (29th April 2017), Pam (29th April 2017), The Freedom Train (1st May 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 times in 571 posts

My husband likes the Lucy's GF cookies. Guess I will be throwing those out. How on earth does anyone know?
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

BMJ (30th April 2017), The Freedom Train (1st May 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Judge: Experts can testify that Roundup linked to cancer

UPDATED: Tue., July 10, 2018, 5:17 p.m.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...p-linked-to-c/

SAN FRANCISCO – Hundreds of lawsuits alleging Roundup weed killer caused cancer cleared a big hurdle Tuesday when a U.S. judge ruled that cancer victims and their families could present expert testimony linking the herbicide to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria said evidence that the active ingredient in Roundup – glyphosate – can cause the disease seemed “rather weak.” Still, the opinions of three experts linking glyphosate and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma were not “junk science” that should be excluded from a trial, the judge ruled.

The lawsuits say agrochemical giant Monsanto, which makes Roundup, long knew about the cancer risk but failed to warn people. The ruling allows the claims to move forward, though the judge warned it could be a “daunting challenge” to convince him to allow a jury to hear testimony that glyphosate was responsible for individual cancer diagnoses.

Many government regulators have rejected a link between cancer and glyphosate. Monsanto has vehemently denied such a connection, saying hundreds of studies have established that the chemical is safe.

The company is facing hundreds of lawsuits in state and federal courts that claim otherwise. Chhabria is presiding over more than 400 of them.

A separate trial is under way in San Francisco in a lawsuit by a school groundskeeper dying of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma – the first case a jury has heard alleging Roundup caused cancer.

In response to Chhabria’s ruling, Monsanto Vice President Scott Partridge noted the judge excluded some of the plaintiffs’ experts and called the opinions of those he is allowing to testify “shaky.”

“Moving forward, we will continue to defend these lawsuits with robust evidence that proves there is absolutely no connection between glyphosate and cancer,” Partridge said in a statement. “We have sympathy for anyone suffering from cancer, but the science clearly shows that glyphosate was not the cause.”

Michael Baum, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said he was still reviewing the ruling but was pleased the judge rejected Monsanto’s effort to have the lawsuits thrown out.

“We look forward to taking the next step – getting our clients their day in court,” he said in a statement.

The judge wanted to determine whether the science behind the claim that glyphosate can cause non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma had been properly tested and met other requirements to be considered valid.

Chhabria spent a week in March hearing dueling testimony from epidemiologists. He peppered them with questions about potential strengths and weaknesses of research on the cancer risk of glyphosate.

Beate Ritz, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, testified for the plaintiffs that her review of scientific literature led her to conclude that glyphosate and glyphosate-based compounds such as Roundup can cause non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

Ritz said a 2017 National Institutes of Health study that found no association between glyphosate and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma had major flaws.

Monsanto brought in its own expert, Lorelei Mucci, a cancer epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who praised the 2017 study.

“When you look at the body of epidemiological literature on this topic, there’s no evidence of a positive association between glyphosate and NHL risk,” she said of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.

In his ruling Tuesday, the judge said Ritz and Mucci could both testify before a jury.

Monsanto developed glyphosate in the 1970s, and the weed killer is now sold in more than 160 countries. Farmers in California, the most agriculturally productive state in the U.S., use it on more than 200 types of crops. Homeowners use it on their lawns and gardens.

The herbicide came under increasing scrutiny after the France-based International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organization, classified it as a “probable human carcinogen” in 2015.

A flurry of lawsuits against Monsanto followed, and California added glyphosate to its list of chemicals known to cause cancer. Monsanto has attacked the international research agency’s opinion as an outlier.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency says glyphosate is safe for people when used in accordance with label directions.

A federal judge in Sacramento has blocked California from requiring that Roundup carry a label stating that it is known to cause cancer, saying the warning is misleading because almost all regulators have concluded that there is no evidence glyphosate is carcinogenic.
    Updated: July 10, 2018, 5:17 p.m.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ramus For This Post:

pueblo (12th July 2018)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,247 times in 2,174 posts

Now that Bayer has merged with Monsanto one can only imagine what new atrocities will be foisted on farmers and ultimately the consumer in the name of greed and profit.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

ramus (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (27th October 2018)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Weed killer found in more breakfast cereals, snack bars, study shows

On October 25, 2018 By Meira Gebel, Detroit Free Press

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...os/1757858002/

From earlier post: ON 11th April 2017 11:34 RAMUS POSTED : Which of Your Foods are Sprayed with Round Up Just 3 Days Before Harvest? Farmers were spraying Glyphosate on their crops right before harvest to get a more uniform yield. ....... list above, link post:#4

DETROIT – A cancer-linked herbicide has been found in more than two dozen popular breakfast cereals and snack bars according to a new report released Wednesday.

Glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup, was found in 26 of the 28 products the Environmental Working Group (EWG) tested, in levels “higher than what EWG scientists consider protective of children’s health.”

An earlier report by EGW, an environmental advocacy organization, found similar results.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Monsanto's Roundup, the most heavily used herbicide in the United States. Every year, according to the EWG, more than 250 million pounds of glyphosate is sprayed on American crops.

Quaker and General Mills, though, conclude the products are safe and there is no reason for concern.

More: Weed killer in breakfast cereals: How dangerous is it?

“The tests detected glyphosate in all 28 samples of products made with conventionally grown oats. All but two of the 28 samples had levels of glyphosate above EWG’s health benchmark,” the group said in the study.

In a statement, Quaker said: "EWG report artificially creates a 'safe level' for glyphosate that is detached from those that have been established by responsible regulatory bodies in an effort to grab headlines.”

The International Agency for Research on Cancer has determined that glyphosate is "probably carcinogenic to humans" and the Environmental Protection Agency has set a safety level for the potentially dangerous chemical.

"I don't think that people should become hysterical," Sarah Evans, an assistant professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, told CNN. "But people need to be really aware of where their food is coming from and what's getting into their foods."

Monsanto, the manufacturer of Roundup, strongly disputes the finding that glyphosate is a probable carcinogen and notes that over four decades, the EPA has consistently supported the safe and effective use of glyphosate.

In a statement, Monsanto said: "Nothing in the EWG’s new data demonstrate any safety concern associated with the tested products. All levels reported by the EWG are far below the limits EPA established to protect human health. Even at the highest level reported by the EWG (2,837 ppb), an adult would have to eat 81.5 pounds of the oat breakfast cereal every day for the rest of their life to reach the strict limits set by the EPA."

Last week, Monsanto was ordered by a court to pay nearly $78 million to a man who claims his terminal cancer was caused by exposure to Roundup. Hundreds of other cases are working their way through the courts.
    Glyphosate was found in the following breakfast items:

Quaker Simply Granola Oats, Honey & Almonds

Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cinnamon & Spice

Quaker Instant Oatmeal Apples & Cinnamon

Quaker Real Medleys Super Grains Banana Walnut

Quaker Overnight Oats Raisin Walnut & Honey Heaven

Quaker Overnight Oats Unsweetened with Chia Seeds

Quaker Oatmeal Squares Brown Sugar

Quaker Oatmeal Squares Honey Nut

Apple Cinnamon Cheerios

Very Berry Cheerios

Chocolate Cheerios

Frosted Cheerios

Fruity Cheerios

Honey Nut Cheerios

Cheerios Oat Crunch Cinnamon

Quaker Chewy S’mores

Quaker Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip

Quaker Breakfast Squares Soft Baked Bars Peanut Butter

Quaker Breakfast Flats Crispy Snack Bars Cranberry Almond

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

avid (27th October 2018), Smell the Roses (27th October 2018)

29. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I don't think we need to wonder where the cancer is coming from, let alone

autism which is now .. 1 in 59 children in the U.S.A.

Remember Monsanto is a off chute of I.G. Farben .. Nazi Germany W.W. 2.

I.G. Farben was the biggest chemical and agriculture company in the world.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"100 million, or 1 out of 3 Americans now have liver disease. These diagnoses are in some as young as 8 years old."

Glyphosate Worse than We Could Imagine. “It’s Everywhere”

https://www.globalresearch.ca/glyphosate-worse/5674472

Glyphosate residues have been found in tap water, orange juice, children’s urine, breast milk, chips, snacks, beer, wine, cereals, eggs, oatmeal, wheat products, and most conventional foods tested. It’s everywhere, in brief.

As new studies continue to point to a direct link between the widely-used glyphosate herbicide and various forms of cancer, the agribusiness lobby fights ferociously to ignore or discredit evidence of human and other damage. A second US court jury case just ruled that Monsanto, now a part of the German Bayer AG, must pay $ 81 million in damages to plaintiff Edwin Hardeman who contracted non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma cancer. The ruling and a line-up of another 11,000 pending cases in US courts going after the effects of glyphosate, have hit Bayer AG hard with the company announcing several thousand layoffs as its stock price plunges.

In a trial in San Francisco the jury was unanimous in their verdict that Monsanto Roundup weed-killer, based on glyphosate, had been responsible for Hardeman’s cancer. His attorneys stated,

“It is clear from Monsanto’s actions that it does not care whether Roundup causes cancer, focusing instead on manipulating public opinion and undermining anyone who raises genuine and legitimate concerns about Roundup.”

It is the second defeat for the lawyers of Monsanto after another jury ruled in 2018 that Glyphosate-based Roundup was responsible for the cancer illness of a California school grounds-keeper who contracted the same form of cancer after daily spraying school grounds with Roundup over years, unprotected. There a jury found Monsanto guilty of “malice and oppression” in that company executives, based on internal email discovery, knew that their glyphosate products could cause cancer and suppressed this information from the public.

A new independent study shows that those with highest exposure to glyphosate have a 41% increased risk of developing non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) cancer. A meta-analysis of six studies containing nearly 65,000 participants looked at links between glyphosate-based herbicides and immune-suppression, endocrine disruption and genetic alterations. The authors found “the same key finding: exposure to GBHs (glyphosate-based herbicides) are associated with an increased risk of NHL (Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma).” Further, they stated that glyphosate “alters the gut microbiome,” and that that could “impact the immune system, promote chronic inflammation, and contribute to the susceptibility of invading pathogens.” Glyphosate also ”may act as an endocrine disrupting chemical because it has been found recently to alter sex hormone production” in both male and female rats.

In a long-term animal study by French scientists under Gilles Eric Seralini, Michael Antoniou and associates, it was demonstrated that even ultra-low levels of glyphosate herbicides cause non-alcoholic liver disease. The levels the rats were exposed to, per kg of body weight, were far lower than what is allowed in our food supply. According to the Mayo Clinic, today, after four decades or more pervasive use of glyphosate pesticides, 100 million, or 1 out of 3 Americans now have liver disease. These diagnoses are in some as young as 8 years old.
    Glyphosate from Monsanto’s Roundup Decimates Microbes in Soils and the Human Gut – New Science

But glyphosate is not only having alarming effects on human health. Soil scientists are beginning to realize the residues of glyphosate application are also having a possibly dramatic effect on soil health and nutrition, effects that can take years to restore.

Killing Soils too

While most attention is understandably drawn to the human effects of exposure to glyphosate, the most widely used agriculture chemical in the world today, independent scientists are beginning to look at another alarming effect of the agrochemical– its effect on essential soil nutrients. In a study of the health of soils in the EU, the online journal Politico.eu found that the effects of spraying of glyphosate on the major crops in European agriculture is having disastrous consequences on soil health in addition to killing weeds.

Scientists at Austria’s University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna showed that casting activity of earthworms had nearly disappeared from the surface of farmland within three weeks of glyphosate application. Casting is the process of the worm pushing fertile soils to the surface as they burrow, essential for healthy soil and plant nutrition. A study at Holland’s Wageningen University of topsoil samples from more than 300 soil sites across the EU found that 83% of the soils contained 1 or more pesticide residues. Not surprisingly,

“Glyphosate and its metabolite AMPA, DDTs (DDT and its metabolites) and broad-spectrum fungicides… were the compounds most frequently found in soil samples and at the highest concentrations.”

The use of various pesticides, above all glyphosate-based ones like Roundup, has exploded over the past four decades across the EU much as across the USA. The agribusiness industry claims that this has been the key to the dramatic rise in farm crop productivity. However if we look more closely at the data, while average yields of major grains such as rice, wheat and maize have more than doubled since 1960, the use of pesticides like glyphosate-based ones has risen by 15-20-fold. Oddly enough, while the EU requires monitoring of many things, monitoring of pesticide residues in soil is not required at the EU level. Until recently the effects of heavy use of pesticides such as Roundup have been ignored in scientific research.

Evidence of soil experts is beginning to reveal clear links between use of pesticides such as glyphosate and dramatic drops in soil fertility and the collapse of microbe systems essential to healthy soil. Worms are one of the most essential.

It’s well-established that earthworms play a vital role in healthy soil nutrients. Soils lacking such are soils that deprive us of the essentials we need for healthy diets, a pandemic problem of soil depletion emerging globally over the past four decades, notably the same time frame that use of pesticides has exploded worldwide. Earthworms are beneficial as they enhance soil nutrient cycling and enhance other beneficial soil micro-organisms, and the concentration of large quantities of nutrients easily assimilable by plants.

The EU puts no limits on how much glyphosate can be put on crops even though it is established that glyphosate can kill specific fungi and bacteria that plants need to suck up nutrients in addition to its effects on earthworms. That is a major blind spot.

Where now?

What is becoming clearer is the colossal and obviously deliberate official blind eye given to potential dangers of glyphosate-based pesticides by regulatory bodies not only in the EU and the USA, but also in China, which today produces more glyphosate than even Monsanto. Since the Monsanto Roundup patent expired, Chinese companies, including Syngenta, Zhejiang Xinan Chemical Industrial Group Company, SinoHarvest, and Anhui Huaxing Chemical Industry Company, have emerged as the world’s major producers of the chemical as well as largest consumers, a not good omen for the future of the legendary Chinese cuisine.

Glyphosate is the base chemical component for some 750 different brands of pesticides worldwide, in addition to Monsanto-Bayer’s Roundup. Glyphosate residues have been found in tap water, orange juice, children’s urine, breast milk, chips, snacks, beer, wine, cereals, eggs, oatmeal, wheat products, and most conventional foods tested. It’s everywhere, in brief.

Despite the overwhelming evidence, however, EU Commission bureaucrats and the USA EPA continue to ignore prudence in not banning the toxic chemical pending thorough independent investigation over longer time. If I were cynical, I would almost think this continued official support for glyphosate-based herbicides is about more than mere bureaucratic stupidity or ignorance, even more than simply corruption, though that for sure plays a role. The nutritional quality of our food chain is being systematically destroyed and it is about more than corporate agribusiness profit.
    Last edited by ramus; 15th April 2019 at 20:03.

+ Reply to Thread