+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Personality-marketing, in the alternative media

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 269,717 times in 19,912 posts

Default Re: Personality-marketing, in the alternative media

Quote Posted by Nerge (here)
    how one conducts themselves often speaks volumes.
    Yes, it really does.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

amandapoet (5th May 2017), BMJ (4th May 2017), Carolyn Hamlett (16th May 2017), Debra (5th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), Verdilac (6th May 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member amandapoet's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 times in 118 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    Quote Posted by Verdilac (here)
    Quote Posted by amandapoet (here)
    Wow, this is so timely. I recently allowed myself to get swept into the need to supplement my income by peddling skin care products---and marketing them through my social media accounts. I'll confess to have been a Facebook junkie this past year. And I can't explain why, but in the middle of April a switch was flipped. The idea of having to brand myself on social media or face-to-face, for the purposes of peddling products, talents, or services anymore just felt wrong. I couldn't bring myself to produce the facade anymore. The sad thing is that I haven't even realized how many layers I have been applying to create this "branded" self, as opposed to the authentic self. To be honest, I feel like I'm still chipping away at that mask-- but their is some decent air flow getting through now!
    You may find the switch tries flip back in the coming months,and if so,it may be hard to resist. It is however very liberating to overcome the urge to go backwards . To help you can think of what it took to remove yourself from the uncomfortable situation found yourself in(just saying). A while back I quantified things and realised that working for certain parties and playing a role, plus also presenting an image that was expected of me,was something that I was no longer comfortable with. My reward was paper(money) and sometimes short lived respect because I had performed well or excelled, in reality I was just being exploited for my skills and enthusiasm, my ego also played its part too.

It can be a hollow existence if you don't try to keep things real & genuine, so good on you
    Just to re-iterate a counter point, I think what she was doing can be done very authentically (and it's extremely fulfilling) and positively; but you have to believe in what you do, not do it for money. That concept is a a bit against what the majority of society thinks should motivate us.

I did it for years, I worked IT because it pays well, not because I believe in it or really enjoy it... and I've suffered for the fact.. especially because I've grown to despise my employers. I did that for 12 years before I started doing something I believe in and unabashedly promote and "brand" because I think it will inspire others to do similar or benefit directly from what we do already.

I'm not rich because of it, monetarily.. Yet I am, in reality...
    I absolutely agree! I just realized how careful and selective I need to be in the future. If what I'm seeking to acquire is truth and awareness during this lifetime, then that is what I also have the responsibility to put out. I actually feel like I'm getting and giving more now that I was in the beginning of this year. And as a mom, I don't want to influence my children to feel like they need to fit into some filtered post of some one less than who they really are-- because they both are their own perfection.

Sorry if this digresses too far from the original topic- but I am really enjoying everyone's contribution to this particular conversation.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to amandapoet For This Post:

BMJ (5th May 2017), Debra (5th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th May 2017), Mike (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017), seko (5th May 2017), TargeT (5th May 2017), Verdilac (6th May 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,763 times in 394 posts

Things get really interesting and kinda awkward .. sphere alliance psyop :D
    Love the opening lines tho .. feels oblate <3
    Be careful when wandering in the woods... The wolf may approach you... And if you are approached by a solitary wolf... It is not a wolf at all!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarMar For This Post:

BMJ (5th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,336 times in 2,953 posts

Well, they don't call us Sheeple for nothing!! Having been married to a religious "conman" in my first marriage I find I can sense things that others might not right off. Thanks for posting the conversation between you two! Another name I would add to the True Blue List is David Adair. It is such a privilege to be a part of a Forum where we don't have to deal with others trying to manipulate us. Thanks for setting the bar high, Bill!

We Love You for who you ARE!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (5th May 2017), Bob (5th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), gord (7th May 2017), Mike (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017), TargeT (5th May 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 269,717 times in 19,912 posts

I am really enjoying everyone's contribution to this particular conversation.
    Well, good! I should maybe share some of the informal mods' conversations more often.

The mods' Skype chat, which has been running continuously since at least 2010 (or earlier! I can't remember ), is like a kind of coffee lounge in a large, busy office. When we're not occupied with forum housekeeping (or real life!), we drop in there and see who else might be around.

We tell personal stories, share jokes, post news items for each other, get all philosophical sometimes, and (of course) discuss serious forum business, like making decisions together about things, major or minor, in real time.

One of the things I've always wanted to do, since the forum's launch in Aug 2008, is present the mods as flesh-and-blood people with real personalities, who care — about really quite a lot of diverse things. (That's why one of the Avalon traditions is to abandon made-up, anonymous usernames, and for the mods to show their real names instead.)

So, we try to be 'professional' in our demeanor, but also as human as possible. Because we're like all other forum members, too. Paul likes to talk about the 'delightful diversity' in the membership (and we all agree), and that's reflected in the mods team, as well.

We don't all agree about everything, and we have some rather interesting conversations sometimes about 'hot' topics. Now and then, it often occurs to me that those really could be usefully shared, but I usually never get round to it. So, one of the spin-offs of the chat I copied to start this thread was to purposefully show at least a couple of us, transparently, in a fly-on-the-wall, human light.

And the personality-marketing thing really is something I've had in my strong awareness for quite a long time. When I see or hear the snazzy, glitzy, sometimes very 'professional' (but not always! ), intro to a radio show, for instance, I quite often cringe. I really do.

What I see is a kind of Stockholm Syndrome: the alt media likes to think it's the higher-integrity alternative to the mainstream media, but all too often I just see copying of cheap style.

Here's just one example, from Buzzsaw. A tiny thing, but I find it really irritating. I often wonder if anyone else sees this.

If you watch carefully (and I have), you'll see that all the monitors in the background, carefully giving the impression of a busy studio, are each on a continuous image loop... there's nothing real happening there at all. It's all fake.

Now, this was unlikely to have been what Sean Stone wanted or even thought of. It was almost certainly the 'clever' notion of some producer. Sean and Buzzsaw are being marketed. Of course.

But here's the nub of the entire point which I'm making:

The alt media supposedly stands for authenticity, honor, integrity, truth. Yet, all around, I see just the opposite.

Often, it's simply revenue-generating entertainment. We're actually becoming rather like our enemies.

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

7alon (6th May 2017), amandapoet (6th May 2017), Andrew_K (7th May 2017), aoibhghaire (12th May 2017), BMJ (5th May 2017), Bruno (18th May 2017), Callista (6th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), earthdreamer (23rd May 2017), Eram (6th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (5th May 2017), Mike (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017), Sophocles (5th May 2017), TargeT (5th May 2017), Wind (6th May 2017)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,336 times in 2,953 posts

"Follow the money".....that's what it always comes down to no matter WHAT venue one is talking about!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

BMJ (5th May 2017), Bruno (18th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), Mike (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017)

13. Link to Post #27
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member TargeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,716 times in 7,043 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    When I see or hear the snazzy, glitzy, sometimes very 'professional' (but not always! ), intro to a radio show, for instance, I quite often cringe. I really do.
    I distrust things like your example "buzzsaw" simply because of it's production, its the same plasticy crap that I stopped watching TV because of. I like the guy on his web camera presenting well researched (AND SOURCED!) ideas and thoughts, I don't need the fancy eye candy and mental trickery done by these highly produced "products".

Plus, I know a tiny bit about how much work goes into these "over produced" items, in my mind that mean's the possibility of "back stage agenda" becomes very high.

Often, it's simply revenue-generating entertainment. We're actually becoming rather like our enemies.
    There's a small handful that do it right; but it is very small.

I still feel that one of the better examples out there (and he's far from esoteric in topic coverage)is Corbett

I think I read it mentioned before, and you already provided a partial list with "grades" next to personalities.. I think that's a great idea but I also feel it should be a crowd sourced list, maybe we can leverage the minds here to help research the personalities from many different angles (many of us do this already as a hobby).

The end state in my mind would be a "rotten tomatoes" for "alt media"...but instead of based on enjoyment, based on trustworthiness and authenticness.
    Last edited by TargeT; 5th May 2017 at 18:18.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

7alon (6th May 2017), amandapoet (6th May 2017), Andrew_K (7th May 2017), aoibhghaire (12th May 2017), Bill Ryan (5th May 2017), BMJ (5th May 2017), Bruno (18th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), earthdreamer (23rd May 2017), Eram (6th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2017), Mike (5th May 2017), RunningDeer (5th May 2017)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,621 times in 422 posts

I am really enjoying everyone's contribution to this particular conversation.
    Well, good! I should maybe share some of the informal mods' conversations more often.

The mods' Skype chat, which has been running continuously since at least 2010 (or earlier! I can't remember ), is like a kind of coffee lounge in a large, busy office. When we're not occupied with forum housekeeping (or real life!), we drop in there and see who else might be around.

We tell personal stories, share jokes, post news items for each other, get all philosophical sometimes, and (of course) discuss serious forum business, like making decisions together about things, major or minor, in real time.

One of the things I've always wanted to do, since the forum's launch in Aug 2008, is present the mods as flesh-and-blood people with real personalities, who care — about really quite a lot of diverse things. (That's why one of the Avalon traditions is to abandon made-up, anonymous usernames, and for the mods to show their real names instead.)

So, we try to be 'professional' in our demeanor, but also as human as possible. Because we're like all other forum members, too. Paul likes to talk about the 'delightful diversity' in the membership (and we all agree), and that's reflected in the mods team, as well.

We don't all agree about everything, and we have some rather interesting conversations sometimes about 'hot' topics. Now and then, it often occurs to me that those really could be usefully shared, but I usually never get round to it. So, one of the spin-offs of the chat I copied to start this thread was to purposefully show at least a couple of us, transparently, in a fly-on-the-wall, human light.

And the personality-marketing thing really is something I've had in my strong awareness for quite a long time. When I see or hear the snazzy, glitzy, sometimes very 'professional' (but not always! ), intro to a radio show, for instance, I quite often cringe. I really do.

What I see is a kind of Stockholm Syndrome: the alt media likes to think it's the higher-integrity alternative to the mainstream media, but all too often I just see copying of cheap style.

Here's just one example, from Buzzsaw. A tiny thing, but I find it really irritating. I often wonder if anyone else sees this.

If you watch carefully (and I have), you'll see that all the monitors in the background, carefully giving the impression of a busy studio, are each on a continuous image loop... there's nothing real happening there at all. It's all fake.

Now, this was unlikely to have been what Sean Stone wanted or even thought of. It was almost certainly the 'clever' notion of some producer. Sean and Buzzsaw are being marketed. Of course.

But here's the nub of the entire point which I'm making:

The alt media supposedly stands for authenticity, honor, integrity, truth. Yet, all around, I see just the opposite.

You're absolutely right, Bill. This is why I unsubbed from Gaia very quickly... after the first month. I noticed it wasn't what I was looking for at all. It just seems a lot of it is so marketed, it put me off watching anything actually interesting they may have. I only really watched the Pete Peterson interview, which I have recorded on my pc.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 7alon For This Post:

amandapoet (6th May 2017), Bill Ryan (6th May 2017), BMJ (7th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (6th May 2017), RunningDeer (6th May 2017), TargeT (6th May 2017)

17. Link to Post #29
    Australia Avalon Member Innocent Warrior's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,313 times in 3,058 posts

Quote Posted by Nerge (here)
    Guess I'm the only one that found the tone of that chat log a bit embarrassing - regardless of what your opinion is about someone, how one conducts themselves often speak volumes.

I'm neither for or against Corey btw.

Out of everything about the chat, which included this...

you found the tone embarrassing...
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

7alon (6th May 2017), amandapoet (6th May 2017), BMJ (7th May 2017), Debra (7th May 2017), eaglespirit (11th May 2017), RunningDeer (6th May 2017), TargeT (6th May 2017)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member Carolyn Hamlett's Avatar
    Thanks

Sometimes it isn’t about being for or against anyone. It’s about being for the truth.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Carolyn Hamlett For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2017), BMJ (24th May 2017), Bruno (18th May 2017), Debra (19th May 2017), earthdreamer (23rd May 2017), Innocent Warrior (16th May 2017), RunningDeer (31st May 2017), Sammy (31st May 2017), TargeT (16th May 2017)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,117 times in 1,019 posts

I notice that Mr. Goode's LinkedIn says that he is a consultant for the video game industry.

We are a pretty connected community, especially the older crowd. We kind of all know each other. We do not know Corey Goode.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

BMJ (1st June 2017), RunningDeer (31st May 2017), Sammy (31st May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2