+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Purchased a new Silva compass today

1. Link to Post #1
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Default Purchased a new Silva compass today

I had my Silva Expedition compass arrive in the post today - I know where north is in my house so naturally I tried it out, sure enough it points to where north should be, I moved it down the table and got on with finding a case for it then I notice it was at 62 degrees East I tapped and moved it- now it is at 26 degrees arrow still aligned North- I am confused anyone got a compass they could check out now please or have I purchased a duff. I have just slid it across the table and it went to 320 degrees moved it 6 inches and it is now 65 degrees. I'm on the floor now searching for the cause.
    Last edited by sheme; 6th May 2017 at 19:07.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,133 times in 8,307 posts

Default Re: Purchased a new Silva compass today

It's only going to be reliable out in the open places away from stray magnetic invluences.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th May 2017), eaglespirit (7th May 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Inversion (7th May 2017), Nasu (6th May 2017), sheme (6th May 2017), TargeT (6th May 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

I haven't used a compass in a while but the ones I've had have always been a bit finicky. I'd have to work it a bit before I was confident in where it pointed.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

eaglespirit (7th May 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), sheme (6th May 2017)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Just this moment taken outside as suggested and it worked fine in everyplace I put it, have it back indoors, it is much better, though remains a bit strange. ( found it was when it was near my PC) I had an inexpensive geological compass someplace and it never varied -you know you had to level it up each time, this is why I was so surprised when the new compass behaved so badly, I figure it is time I did some compass work as I am off for a week walking in the Peak district, thanks to all good folks here for your help and support.
    Last edited by sheme; 8th May 2017 at 15:48.

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,207 times in 32,905 posts

Quote Posted by sheme (here)
    I had my Silva Expedition compass arrive in the post today - I know where north is in my house so naturally I tried it out, sure enough it points to where north should be, I moved it down the table and got on with finding a case for it then I notice it was at 62 degrees East I tapped and moved it- now it is at 26 degrees arrow still aligned North- I am confused anyone got a compass they could check out now please or have I purchased a duff. I have just slid it across the table and it went to 320 degrees moved it 6 inches and it is now 65 degrees. I'm on the floor now searching for the cause.
    I have two Silva compasses to this day, with me here in Ecuador. I've had them each for about 20 years, maybe more.

Yes, they're very sensitive to anything magnetic... that's the whole idea. No such thing as a 'duff' — that's 100% impossible. They're basically designed for use outdoors, well away from almost everything else apart from you.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

eaglespirit (7th May 2017), fourty-two (7th May 2017), Inversion (7th May 2017), Nasu (6th May 2017), sheme (7th May 2017)

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Today I have figured out ( I think) what the problem was- silva compass is plastic, it came in a plastic sealed pack wrapped in a plastic bubble wrap envelope I have a wipe clean plastic table cloth that I placed it on and was moving it around on I had man made materials shoes on. I took it out side placed it on the 'ground' and that was the problem gone- I feel it was charged up with it's own little energy confusion until it was earthed. what do you think?

10. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

http://britgeopeople.blogspot.co.uk/...tic-north.html

Well my little holiday has quite got me thinking about the direction I will be going in my tiny adventure will be in the peak district -even so it seems I should be getting Magnetic variation for this area to be accurate with my compass- no chance of me getting lost as I know all I have to do is follow the well trodden path - however I thought many people may find the above link of use, I believe Americans have got their own version NOAA but do you know your Magnetic declination for the area you choose to bug out in?

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,180 times in 2,653 posts

Compass aside...
    Enjoy Your Holiday at the Peak District, Sheme, it is beautiful : )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eaglespirit For This Post:

sheme (7th May 2017)

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Off to get my kit in order all part of the holiday - that is a great photo! I am taking my friend Next door she is 76 so I think the high stuff is out of the question. Always take an excuse with you.

14. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,452 times in 8,541 posts

Today I have figured out ( I think) what the problem was- silva compass is plastic, it came in a plastic sealed pack wrapped in a plastic bubble wrap envelope I have a wipe clean plastic table cloth that I placed it on and was moving it around on I had man made materials shoes on. I took it out side placed it on the 'ground' and that was the problem gone- I feel it was charged up with it's own little energy confusion until it was earthed. what do you think?
    Plastic can hold a decent static charge - plausible.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

sheme (8th May 2017)

16. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Magnetic waves bouncing around. The one on my key chain while parked will move between 14 and 17 degrees off point.
    Guess that's how most of the flying, sailing craft crashed into the seas. The waves had to be treacherous when this occurred. Phew, when I think about.. I pray we all stay safe. Bermuda triangle does it too. I wonder if it's the Carribean pulse off Cuba? Hmm..

Shine on Avalon
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 8th May 2017 at 09:34.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

sheme (8th May 2017)

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Plastic can hold a decent static charge - plausible.
    Mines is in a plastic casing and perhaps at this time, our electrons are zooming and confusing the compass, or Fukishima. It's gonna be tough to even read the stars, for direction when the pole shifts. What zone of sky will we be be in, when we look up?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

sheme (8th May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread