+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it just about time to apply some basic analysis to spectacular claims?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Default Is it just about time to apply some basic analysis to spectacular claims?

Hello I'm CurEuS. You can read that as Curious or Cure US.

I've tend to be relatively passive in how I approach researching the unusual, interesting, odd and truly bizarre in that I widely read a lot from a variety of academic, esoteric, or alternative interpretations about the world we live in and experience but I do not overly involve myself in expressing my OWN opinion as to our past, current or potential future state of affairs. I post once in a while and this is pretty much the only alt site I do ever post in as a registered member.

I tend to try to reference material about the esoteric, unexplained or just plain academically "unpopular" with published research, data, experiments, patents and also through the lens of experiences, testimony and the like.

Perhaps like others I have not had any special, remarkable or notable "extraordinary" personal experiences with aliens, special projects, ghosts, demons, aliens, past lives, future technology, dark governments or alternate dimensions or remotely relevant altered states of consciousness. The kegger at Uni does not count.

I am not a protege of an ancient secret mystical cult, no Indigenous Shaman ( I have met many) or any Enlightened Monk has every suddenly decided that I am their "one last hope and messenger to humanity". I am not nor have I ever been an Intergalactic Diplomat or Acted as a Special Earth Envoy" or Vanguard of any federation, gang, consortium, planet, solar system, plane of existence or dimension.

WHICH is actually fine by me. I am not "SPECIAL"
    So that kinda makes me "less than exceptional" and probably "uninteresting" in most ways but it is really the only "advantage" I have. I don't have anything to "sell" and there is zero point in interviewing me and asking my opinion I am not going to write a book or give lectures/seminars or sell dehydrated emergency food or bunker condominiums.

WHAT I would like I to suggest is actually pretty simple. In my 10 years or so of falling down the rabbit holes I have not come across a concerted or credible research effort to critically examine the statements made by say the "top 100" mouthpieces over the last 100 years.

I would really like to take all of their statements and examine them over time. I'm sure at least 5 were predicting doom and catastrophe for the last 25 years. Should we not start to call them out on inaccuracies, 1/2 truths or just simple BS? Should we not acknowledge those were were SPOT ON in their predictions?

Some of these people really only engaged in "one off" interviews or seminars/published materials. Others make a living from it. Most now have some pretty serious accusations and baggage to to contend with.....we should sort through that. Together. SOME have uprooted people from homes, families and countries to hide out and wait out "end times" that never arrived.

I would opine that I am not interested in alt "Reporters" or "Journalists" per se. although the credibility of their choices in whom to interview is something to observe.... when they cross into the realm of " being the story" they perhaps are no longer considered to be truly "bias free".

That is of course different from the wisdom gained interviewing dozens or hundreds of witnesses. That would be "expertise".

I think I'd like to see a scale of sorts whereby I can point to it and say " on the credibility scale" this gay/gal ranks ZERO and is probably UTTER BS .or conversely.....this person was highly credulous up until May 2015....and still is or is not.

This should probably be limited to public statements made. We'll just cross check and verify. and NO I don't care much for timeline shifting into alternate preferable outcomes. THAT is an excuse and excuses only serve to embolden spectacular claims which in essence are "excuses" for failings.

I.E. Niburu will smash Earth in 2012
    Oh WAIT..........Purple Space Monkey Council of Aldebaran said we switched to alt timeline 11. No rapture this week kids, keep donating and no need to eat your dogs..oh and being vegan gets you to 5th density faster, karma free! BUY my salt lamps!!

Why now?
    I am tired of being disappointed by people I thought were doing good and working credibly to suddenly see them implode and trash any credible work they have done in the past and drag EVERYTHING into disrepute.

Is it necessary? Yes, I believe so
    Does it pay? Nope...no money
    Is there value? Definitely, parsing out the BS is healthy
    Should I lead this? Not me! I'm too jaded at the moment to be bias free.

I'd like this to culminate in a "state of affairs" like an annual State of the Union Addresses of old.
    I.E.
    A. This is what we we know
    B. This is what we think we know
    C. This is what we have no idea about
    D. These are potential, likely, or verifiable outcomes. now, short, medium and long term.
    E. This is total BS.

It IS a tall order......but it really is high time someone does this. Just not me. I tend to think this should be a "neutral exercise"...there are many witnesses who have been discredited ( and killed) to support another's agenda so this exercise may also want to observe those instances ( and there have been many).

End rant.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Alissavendetta (9th July 2017), Bill Ryan (21st May 2017), boja (22nd May 2017), Ewan (22nd May 2017), fourty-two (23rd May 2017), jjl (21st May 2017), Michelle Marie (23rd May 2017), Nasu (23rd May 2017), norman (21st May 2017), Richard S. (22nd May 2017), StandingWave (22nd May 2017), Tam (28th October 2017), TargeT (22nd May 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,094 times in 8,175 posts

Default Re: Is it just about time to apply some basic analysis to spectacular claims?

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)

I'd like this to culminate in a "state of affairs" like an annual State of the Union Addresses of old.
    I.E.
    A. This is what we we know
    B. This is what we think we know
    C. This is what we have no idea about
    D. These are potential, likely, or verifiable outcomes. now, short, medium and long term.
    E. This is total BS.

It IS a tall order.....

End rant.

That's EXACTLY what we need. I've been trying to work myself up to writing a post about this myself and I'm very glad you feel the same way.

I don't think it would be all that hard to achieve, especially now that the serious people are getting fed up with the consequences of holding back on a fairly structured organisation in favour of respecting people's "right" to earn themselves a living from their research.

It's so ironic that the best bits of lefty thinking and the best bits of righty thinking have been sidelined by the dysfunctional bits of both that have combined to make the field of 'paranormal' research so hopelessly flaky right now. Things have never looked so bad for this field, even though a lot of work has been done and we could expect things to be looking better than ever.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st May 2017), CurEus (21st May 2017), Ewan (22nd May 2017), fourty-two (23rd May 2017), jjl (21st May 2017), Michelle Marie (23rd May 2017), Nasu (23rd May 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Default Re: Is it just about time to apply some basic analysis to spectacular claims?

"It's so ironic that the best bits of lefty thinking and the best bits of righty thinking have been sidelined by the dysfunctional bits of both that have combined to make the field of 'paranormal' research so hopelessly flaky right now."

To my dismay that is pretty much where my thoughts are right now. Is this situation we find ourselves in by design or it is also an opportunity?

If by examining claims to the best of our ability people learn how to discern the veracity of or likelihood of statements/situations/scenarios with concrete examples from alt and mainstream media we may see the bar inadvertently raised. That ideally "elevates" the discourse and can produce a pretty decent BS filter making it a bit more difficult to derail serious and credible research. Alternative Research 101: A primer on information manipulation.

I don't want to totally preclude "alternative ways of knowing" as instinct and "resonating" with concepts at times is "all" we have available but importantly I do not possess any "special" powers that are of any practical or credible use here and any special "entity" that does either is impotent, inept, or ineffective at presenting anything remotely approaching credible usefulness.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,094 times in 8,175 posts

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)

. . . . Is this situation we find ourselves in by design or it is also an opportunity?
    It's a result of a general design that has produced various effects in various fields, in my opinion. I have my own unsubstantiated story lines I've created from selectively joined dots, too. Not least the notion that all this tech' that's stirring the pot has come from off planet and may have an agenda behind it. That's a particularly favourite theme in my thinking that colours all my other ideas about what's going on. If I was a writer I could write a fictional page turner based on it and its implications that have real manifestations in the world around us that could easily make people wonder if it was in fact true, not fiction.

Fiction has been around for a very long time. Everyone knew what it was and what it was there for. In recent times, the distinction between fiction and fact has blurred. A person who has been subjected to TV fiction and TV fact since birth probably has a hard time even grasping the difference between the two. That, to me, is beyond scary. The ongoing collapse of trust in the credibility of media truthfulness even compounds this problem further. That may be by design, and brings me right back onto the point in your question.

But is it an opportunity ?

It's hard to say, because even though I'm very sure there are plenty of people who are aware and smart enough to figure this all out, they are a tiny minority in comparison with the people who don't see any significance or connection between such a distinction and fixing the world or just guiding it towards a better place. With so much fake virtue signalling driving the popular memes, I can see the serious researchers hardening their defences and getting properly organised but I can't see the pop culture even registering it as relevant. It's so easy these days for the people who control the output from the media to sabotage and counter anything and everything anyone with a serious mind tries to achieve for it's own sake. Only those ideas that can be subverted and flipped over get through, which isn't really getting through at all.

For me, I need many more facts about the big issues, like who are the visitors and what are their agendas ? before I can make any more progress with sorting out what we have to do about the state human society is in. The general requirements could be vastly different depending what the answers to those questions are.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

CurEus (22nd May 2017), fourty-two (23rd May 2017)

8. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 times in 262 posts

No, it's not.
    It is, however, for you.
    Because where were you the past say 20 years amidst the voices of reasoning shouting the very same you now came to realize for yourself. Deaf.
    As we all were. Because we all need to get pass through the same lesson, but each on his own time and no matter how loud you may now vocal your reason
    the one destined to deafness will not listen. As you didn't.
    We decree the time for ignorance and the time for enlightenment but we are not all on the same page.
    But don't underestimate the power of deafness, it's the trap of the charlatan that led you here.
    Glad you made it this far.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dim For This Post:

CurEus (22nd May 2017), Ewan (22nd May 2017), Tam (28th October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread