+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toronto area Organic Farm Co-op

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Default Toronto area Organic Farm Co-op

Hi everyone,

some inspiring people have put together an Organic Farm Co-Operative. The purchase of the farm will be on about May 25th. It is located just outside of Hamilton.

There are quite a few ways to join or support this initiative. Basic membership is free. There is also an option to buy in as an owner. That is about $5,000 per "share" or $105/Month for 50 months. I believe they are about 80% sold 100/130 shares. That entitles you to purchase product " at cost", vote on important matters and call yourself a farmer!

This is the ONLY way to legally acquire raw unpasteurized milk in Ontario...you must be a "farmer"
    You could also buy from the co-op if that's how you'd like to support it. Some seasonal job opportunities will be available in a few weeks. Maybe they'd let you buy a "share" with sweat equity. ( I don't know for sure though)

More details are here http://www.organicfarmcoop.org/index.html
    The Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/organicfood...ect/?ref=br_rs
    There is also a membership page, but you need to be a "member" to be invited.

Full disclosure:
    I do not work for them...I do not get paid/compensated if anyone joins.
    I will be buying a share on Thursday or Friday evening.
    I know nothing about "farming" I do "know" food security and nutrition is important.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Baby Steps (24th May 2017), Bruno (24th May 2017), DeDukshyn (24th May 2017), Earth Angel (26th May 2017), Ernie Nemeth (25th May 2017), Fellow Aspirant (24th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th May 2017), Gaia (24th May 2017), gigha (24th May 2017), Hervé (24th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (24th May 2017), Justplain (24th May 2017), Kristin (24th May 2017), Nenuphar (25th May 2017), norman (24th May 2017), sandy (24th May 2017), toppy (24th May 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Toronto area Organic Farm Co-op

What a great initiative ... I hope this gets emulated across the major cities in Canada.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Default Re: Toronto area Organic Farm Co-op

I'm actually pretty excited!
    I've been following their progress for about 2 years and it is great to see a community forming based on good principles...with some pretty solid business sense.
    I buy from farmer's markets already but as a community of like minded people I think there arr fantastic synergies possible that can be developed later on.

My understanding is that this the test model and if it works we will try to replicate this elsewhere so other communities can actively participate in their own food production and security. I'd like to see some First Nations communities come and learn how to be productive with the land as many are isolated and pay outrageous amounts for produce and meats. I believe the sale will be confirmed about the 28th of May and the next week we'll be prepping for planting. The Board has 3 farmers on it so they'll be mentoring us all the way and we'll have smaller plots for plantings of specialty herbs, mushrooms, medicinals etc.

No one believes this will be "Easy" but with a good group of people focused on mutual respect and positive outcomes we're off to a good start.
    I'm excited for chickens, goats and cows!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th May 2017)

+ Reply to Thread