+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion 'could transform global economy'...

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 times in 4,313 posts

Default Asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion 'could transform global economy'...

Below is an article talking about an asteroid worth an estimated $10,000 quadrillion dollars. Keep in mind that the earth's economy global economy is a mere $74 trillion dollars.
    I will use this article to ask a question of those who believe that there are countries on this planet engaged in the use of anti-gravity vehicles in what has become known as the "secret space program".
    My question is this, if there is a secret space program then we have to acknowledge that they would probably be busy taking advantage of such asteroids and if this is the case what does that do to personal methods of storing wealth such as gold and silver? Are gold and silver viable long term solutions for storing wealth?

https://www.rt.com/viral/389697-nasa...lion-asteroid/
    NASA scientists are outdoing themselves yet again: by reworking the planned route for a robotic mission to a giant asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion, they’ve managed to cut costs, launch sooner and arrive four years earlier than planned. Not bad.
    The Psyche planetoid, measuring 240km (149 miles) in diameter, is located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and is made almost entirely of iron and nickel.
    At current market prices, such an asteroid, a truly unique object in our solar system, is estimated to be worth $10,000 quadrillion ($10,000,000,000,000,000,000). That is, if you could successfully tow it into orbit and then mine it (and find someone to buy all of it, of course). For scale, the entire global economy is worth over $74 trillion.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Bruno (26th May 2017), Callista (28th May 2017), drneglector (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Fairy Friend (25th May 2017), Flash (25th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (25th May 2017), Krist (26th May 2017), Loren (27th May 2017), meat suit (26th May 2017), mountain_jim (25th May 2017), Nasu (25th May 2017), Noelle (25th May 2017), Ol' Roy (26th May 2017), Reinhard (28th May 2017), Sojourner (27th May 2017), Sunny-side-up (27th May 2017), Verdilac (26th May 2017), wnlight (27th May 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

Default Re: Asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion 'could transform global economy'...

In 2015, apparently the USA passed a law regarding mining in outer space:

http://www.iflscience.com/space/who-...ially-illegal/

Some exerpts from this article:

An event of cosmic proportions occurred on November 18 when the US congress passed the Space Act of 2015 into law. The legislation will give US space firms the rights to own and sell natural resources they mine from bodies in space, including asteroids.

Although the act, passed with bipartisan support, still requires President Obama’s signature, it is already the most significant salvo that has been fired in the ideological battle over ownership of the cosmos. It goes against a number of treaties and international customary law which already apply to the entire universe.

The new law is nothing but a classic rendition of the “he who dares wins” philosophy of the Wild West. The act will also allow the private sector to make space innovations without regulatory oversight during an eight-year period and protect spaceflight participants from financial ruin. Surely, this will see private firms begin to incorporate the mining of asteroids into their investment plans.

Supporters argue that the US Space Act is a bold statement that finally sets private spaceflight free from the heavy regulation of the US government. The misdiagnosis begins here. Space exploration is a universal activity and therefore requires international regulation.

The act represents a full-frontal attack on settled principles of space law which are based on two basic principles: the right of states to scientific exploration of outer space and its celestial bodies and the prevention of unilateral and unbriddled commercial exploitation of outer-space resources. These principles are found in agreements including the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 and the Moon Agreement of 1979.

The US House Committee on Science, Space and Technology denies there is anything in the act which violates the US’s international obligations. According to this body, the right to extract and use resources from celestial bodies “is affirmed by State practice and by the US State Department in Congressional testimony and written correspondence”.

Crucially, there is no specific reference to international law in this statement. Simply relying on US legislation and policy statements to justify the plans is obviously insufficient.

Ever since NASA discovered signs of liquid water on Mars, concerns have been raised about the risk of contaminating the red planet. NASA, ESA, and The Hubble Heritage Team

So what’s at stake? We can assume that the list of states that have access to outer space – currently a dozen or so – will grow. These states may also shortly respond with mining programmes of their own. That means that the pristine conditions of the cradle of nature from which our own Earth was born may become irrevocably altered forever – making it harder to trace how we came into being. Similarly, if we started contaminating celestial bodies with microbes from Earth, it could ruin our chances of ever finding alien life there.

Mining minerals in space could also damage the environment around the Earth and eventually lead to conflict over resources. Indeed what right has the second highest polluter of the Earth’s environment got to proceed with some of the same corporations in a bid to plunder outer space?

While we’re not there yet, developments towards actual space mining may begin to occur within a decade.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th May 2017), Bruno (26th May 2017), DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (25th May 2017), Nasu (25th May 2017), PurpleLama (25th May 2017), Sierra (19th June 2017), Verdilac (26th May 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 times in 241 posts

Default Re: Asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion 'could transform global economy'...

Mining in space, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. They can't even mine the earth without causing major problems from time to time, never mind the pollution, seem to remember there was talk of mining the moon at one point.

Maybe after they have built the infrastructure and invested billions they will be kind enough to send the companies involved a copy of "Penetration" by Ingo Swan.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Verdilac For This Post:

DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (27th May 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Verdilac (here)
    Mining in space, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
    It's only a "disaster" if we know about it .

Easier to hide stuff in space, far from earth.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (27th May 2017), Nasu (26th May 2017), Verdilac (26th May 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

When you flood the market for any commodity you bring prices right down to next to nothing. The problem for the oil industry has been creating a huge demand in order to make massive profits while selling at dirt cheap prices. But flooding the market involves at most one or two orders of magnitude. If you have billions of times more iron or nickel on your hands, what are you going to do with it all? No one needs anything like that much metal, unless they have plans to build a steel-dome planet. And in purely monetary terms, flooding the money market to that extent makes no sense either: you devalue the dollar until it becomes meaningless and quadrillions ends up meaning what used to be millions.

In other words, there is no increased wealth to be had from mining asteroids. Wealth comes from what Earth’s inhabitants can produce and use. A much greater source of wealth would be obtainable by increasing plant life on Earth by reclaiming desert areas for trees, gardens, small farms etc. The multiplier would not be thousands of quadrillions; a massive improvement would be achievable if the multiplier were in the order of... 1.5.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Baby Steps (26th May 2017), Bill Ryan (26th May 2017), Bruno (26th May 2017), Chester (27th May 2017), DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (27th May 2017), Krist (26th May 2017), Satori (26th May 2017), Verdilac (26th May 2017), wnlight (27th May 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,531 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    When you flood the market for any commodity you bring prices right down to next to nothing.
    Yes, that's true. We could never use that much nickel!

(But if the asteroid was made of plastic, now you're talking. )

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

araucaria (26th May 2017), Chester (27th May 2017), DarMar (28th May 2017), DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), Innocent Warrior (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (27th May 2017), Satori (26th May 2017), scott12133 (26th May 2017), wnlight (27th May 2017)

13. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Are gold and silver viable long term solutions for storing wealth?

[/I][/B]
    I thought we have awakened long ago. Why do we still view wealth in terms of gold silver and money?
    Transform global economy with a huge metal worth lots of money? nothing could be further from the truth. To elevate the living condition of all lifeforms on the planet should be the aim. a huge metal wont do that. unless we live eat and dress with that metal.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

DNA (26th May 2017), dynamo (26th May 2017), justntime2learn (27th May 2017), Verdilac (26th May 2017), wnlight (27th May 2017)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 times in 241 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    Are gold and silver viable long term solutions for storing wealth?

[/I][/B]
    I thought we have awakened long ago. Why do we still view wealth in terms of gold silver and money?
    Transform global economy with a huge metal worth lots of money? nothing could be further from the truth. To elevate the living condition of all lifeforms on the planet should be the aim. a huge metal wont do that. unless we live eat and dress with that metal.
    I agree, an item with the largest value is actually education coupled with the ability to adapt ,as it will determine the survival of a race or species.

You know I often think that were heading further and further in the opposite direction of were we need to be with regards to our value of things.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdilac For This Post:

Bruno (26th May 2017), DNA (26th May 2017)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Who is this "we" you are talking about? The last time I checked the population at large is a mind controlled mob doing everything the powers that be tell them to do.
    My question is a valid one based on the economic realities we currently live in, not subject to our personal wishes and or preferences.

People are selfish beings who act in their own self interest, to operate under any other philosophy including and especially philanthropy is to insure your endeavor will not arrive at the desired results.

Also and I understand that this specific asteroid is mostly nickel and iron, but that being said, if a secret space program exists they would have much greater access to asteroids in general and as a result platinum, gold, silver and palladium I'm sure could be found in quite large amounts as well.
    And to answer the question of flooding the market and reducing the values of these metals, yes this would happen if they openly announced such, but I'm sure they could keep the value of metals elevated if they were sneaky about it.
    You ever wonder why we have so many advertisements telling us to buy gold and silver? I do.
    Last edited by DNA; 26th May 2017 at 22:27.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Verdilac (26th May 2017), wnlight (27th May 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

The real value of mining outer space bodies is if it costs less than doing it on Earth, or it can be used for a purpose out there. An oversupply of any commodity will cause a crash in its value. So there is no way that asteroid is worth anything near what was quoted.

If the minerals on that asteroid are really easy to extract, and the ssp guys need the minerals for some project(s), then the ssp is already there extracting. This nasa venture is just a publicity stunt to possibly prep the public for such endeavours in the future as they tricklefeed us what they already been doing (likely for decades). If this was not the case why did the usa pass legislation on outerspace commerce a couple of years ago (when no one in the white world is even close to doing a thing out there for a decade or two)?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

DNA (27th May 2017)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,119 times in 3,951 posts

I would think any mission concerning the secret space program, as far as mining would stay out in space.
    It would be mined out there, refined out there and used out there, all in secret.
    It would not be used down here on this worn out grubby old past world globe.
    If we see any of it down here it would just be for show or a means of conning us, a dribble to keep us happy.
    A con to get more work, more finances and more heroic sacrifices out of us, all in the name of progress.
    That all is of course if SSP exists.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bruno (29th May 2017), DNA (27th May 2017), ThePythonicCow (27th May 2017)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    I would think any mission concerning the secret space program, as far as mining would stay out in space.
    It would be mined out there, refined out there and used out there, all in secret.
    It would not be used down here on this worn out grubby old past world globe.
    If we see any of it down here it would just be for show or a means of conning us, a dribble to keep us happy.
    A con to get more work, more finances and more heroic sacrifices out of us, all in the name of progress.
    That all is of course if SSP exists.

I think you are right on the money here.
    From what I understand and this was from the Phil Schneider videos, many alloys for what the SSP uses have to be manufactured in space.
    Something about zero g during the manufacture process.
    But that being said, if antigravity is a reality then it wouldn't be a big deal to bring down tons of palladium/gold/silver/platinum either.
    All of this and more in regards to elements which might be considered to be worth many times more than our precious metals like helium 3 from the moon for instance.
    And I don't necessarily think the SSP is in direct align with who we consider the powers that be to be. For instance the SSP may not be aligned with the Rockefeller/Rothschilde regime, and for the record I hope to high heaven they are not.
    Destabilization of currencies through manipulating the price of precious metals may be a practice too attractive to pass up for these guys.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bruno (29th May 2017)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member section9's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    When you flood the market for any commodity you bring prices right down to next to nothing.

Right, but say you had Starfleet, or Solar Warden, and you needed to build more ships.

Away from prying eyes.

Where would you build it? If you could build it, especially if you could build it outside of Earth's gravity well?

In the Asteroid Belt, of course. Plenty of metals, precious and otherwise, to be had there.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to section9 For This Post:

Bruno (29th May 2017), DNA (28th May 2017)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

As I recall, there is an Arthur C. Clarke story in which it was solid diamond. The whole bonanza meme moves off-planet. One of the issues we have been facing on Earth is the attitude to ‘thinking big’; predominant so far has been the wasteful American individualistic expansionist way, the entire discovery of America thing being a part of this. The alternative to this constant looking to the beyond would be the ecological route; eco- comes from the Greek oikos, meaning house or home. ‘Economy’ used to mean house-keeping , i.e. using/sharing resources... economically, because resources were often scarce.

Synchronistically, I am currently working on something dealing with the early sixties and how the consumer society emerged from postwar rationing, a time when such American ‘values’ really took hold around the world. What we are seeing is the management of abundance with the mentality of scarcity: the lucky finders clinging to their wealth like detainees in a concentration camp clinging to their crust of bread and even snatching their neighbour’s. It still hasn’t registered with these people that there is enough to go round for everyone.

The growing Earth idea (see this thread) suggests that the Earth itself in producing growth releases various by-products. One is the distant Americas, now separated by vast oceans (but everything is much further apart). In a sense, the ‘breakaway civilization’ mentality started right there. These oceans, according to Neal Adams, were salinated when water encountered salt deposits uncovered by the expanding surface, making these oceans a poisonous environment for millions of years until fish and other sea creatures adapted to create an (until recently) seemingly unlimited food source. Salt waters are a worldwide phenomenon and hence likely naturally produced by the planet. Speculating wildly here, it may be that extremely localized diamond mines and fairly localized petroleum deposits came about from an outside influence, i.e. asteroid strikes. The proximity of the Yucatan asteroid impact to the Gulf of Mexico oilfield is certainly intriguing, and maybe the two things are connected (I don’t mean a plastic asteroid of course!). This discussion could also be extended to the origin of things like gold or uranium.

The question is of course whether the unplanned arrival of these unexpected mixed blessings of asteroids causing huge disruption yet possibly bringing massive new resources as well is overall a good thing. Since one side of the discussion speaks for itself, let me lay out the case for the other side. In the homely eco-logical terms described above, we are basically talking about ‘something the dog brought in’, i.e. a chunk of unidentified meat. The dog is of course making a laudable contribution to the eco-nomy, but one probably better in the fire than on the dinner table.

This would be an exact parallel if we take two dots and join them. One dot is the living planet Gaia theory. If the Earth can be seen as a living entity, then it would be a reasonable assumption to make that other heavenly bodies also fall into that category. The other dot is the exploding planet theory of, not Zecharia Sitchin but the late astronomer Tom van Flandern (author of Dark Matter, Missing Planets & New Comets), whose work tracing the orbits of debris from artificial satellites back to a single point he subsequently applied to the asteroid belt and the comets. Joining these two dots leads to the idea that asteroids are not just any old lump of inert matter but actually chunks of ‘meat’ or ‘bone’ off this dead planet. That this planet was once alive is further borne out by persistent stories over the centuries of frogs and fishes etc. raining down in various parts of the world, stories collected by Charles Fort.

The question then becomes, is this item a harmless old bone or perhaps more like rotting flesh, which would be a very unwelcome and unhealthy foreign body to have in the house? And if the latter what form might that take? Since we are talking here about iron and nickel, then it occurs to me that there is a possible difference notably in metals of terrestrial and extraterrestrial origin in terms of isotopic ratios. For example, Paul LaViolette has analyzed the isotopes of tin in Antarctic core samples to determine the tin’s extraterrestrial origin, evidence corroborating his galactic superwave theory (see his book Earth Under Fire, p.119). The potentially worrying thing about iron is that it has 24 known radioactive isotopes, one of which is known and studied precisely for its extraterrestrial connections:
    Quote Iron-60 is an iron isotope with a half-life of 2.6 million years,[6][7] but was thought until 2009 to have a half-life of 1.5 million years. It undergoes beta decay to cobalt-60. Traces of Iron 60 have been found in Lunar samples.
    In phases of the meteorites Semarkona and Chervony Kut a correlation between the concentration of 60Ni, the granddaughter isotope of 60Fe, and the abundance of the stable iron isotopes could be found, which is evidence for the existence of 60Fe at the time of formation of the solar system. Possibly the energy released by the decay of 60Fe contributed, together with the energy released by decay of the radionuclide 26Al, to the remelting and differentiation of asteroids after their formation 4.6 billion years ago. The abundance of 60Ni present in extraterrestrial material may also provide further insight into the origin of the solar system and its early history.
    Remnants of Iron-60 found in fossilised bacteria in sea floor sediments suggest there was a supernova in the vicinity of the solar system approx 2 million years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_iron
    See also nickel and its 26 radioisotopes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_nickel
    We already have enough lethal pollution from motor vehicles as it is, without having the engines made of radioactive material. Would they tell us if they started doing that? Or would it be GM food all over again? It would be difficult to police as it would not occur to people to worry about radioactive iron; all that would happen is that background radiation levels would rise inexplicably.

This is only speculation of course. I am not a scientist anyway. But it illustrates how expressing real concern can get the bad name of fear-mongering: a potential hazard is overlooked, perhaps not deliberately, just for money-making convenience, then brushed under the carpet, making it totally deliberate and so callous that any accusations of criminality, being so massively outrageous, become the object of ridicule and hence a self-perpetuating defence mechanism.

Above and beyond these considerations, the subject of radioactivity could possibly explain the Gnostic story of Sophia, the earth goddess, being infected by archontic forces, as a way of creating instability. Be that as it may, it crops up in another rather different context discussed here: psychophysical radioactivity.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Bruno (29th May 2017), DNA (28th May 2017)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

That this planet was once alive is further borne out by persistent stories over the centuries of frogs and fishes etc. raining down in various parts of the world, stories collected by Charles Fort.
    I don't think in anyway we can connect the falling frogs and fishes of Charles Forte's works to having come from a lifeless asteroid with no atmosphere.
    Most folks would say this is a case of Typhoons or such sweeping such up into the atmosphere where they are carried and they then rain back down some place else.
    For a more outside the box theory, these things could be falling from portals in the sky that open into an alternate earth or another planet all together.
    I'm not particularly fearful of the radiation either.
    But there could be inherit dangers.
    It seems research has been done to show that there are living microbes able to survive the harshness of space and are capable of metabolically returning from a sort of cryo sleep once they are immersed in a viable setting such as our planet and atmosphere.
    The whole panspermia theory is based on such. http://www.astrobio.net/meteoritesco...arth-possible/
    So could there be a danger of microbial life forms hitch hiking on one of these asteroids and becoming a nuisance here one earth?
    Absolutely!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bruno (29th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th May 2017)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

For example, Paul LaViolette has analyzed the isotopes of tin in Antarctic core samples to determine the tin’s extraterrestrial origin, evidence corroborating his galactic superwave theory (see his book Earth Under Fire, p.119). The potentially worrying thing about iron is that it has 24 known radioactive isotopes, one of which is known and studied precisely for its extraterrestrial connections:
    Quote Iron-60 is an iron isotope with a half-life of 2.6 million years,[6][7] but was thought until 2009 to have a half-life of 1.5 million years.
    Based on Robert Distinti's work, which he calls Ethereal Mechanics, I would speculate that the half life of radioactive isotopes is not constant, but rather depends on the rate that ether flows toward the isotope's particles. For Distinti's work, see further his Youtube channel and his new Patreon site.

If this were so (half life's are not constant) then the current "main stream" ways of dating old material by measuring proportions of various isotopes are not reliable
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

DNA (29th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (28th May 2017), TargeT (30th May 2017)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

NASA scientists are outdoing themselves yet again: by reworking the planned route for a robotic mission to a giant asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion, they’ve managed to cut costs, launch sooner and arrive four years earlier than planned. Not bad.
    The Psyche planetoid, measuring 240km (149 miles) in diameter, is located in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and is made almost entirely of iron and nickel.
    Wow interesting. This could make for a lot of spaceships in the future.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

DNA (30th May 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th May 2017), TargeT (30th May 2017)

35. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member cecilmeyer's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree in part.The more resources the better .Whether from the Earth or Space.We can find uses for all the metals in asteroids.Its the rich who want to keep resources scarce,that is how they maintain power and control over our lives.

+ Reply to Thread